Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: QCs brands ... Treatable?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I have most of my arms covered in tattoos.

Getting an office job was easy...I just wore a long sleeve dress shirt and tie. Now that my boss sees the work I'm capable of, I wear short sleeve concert t-shirts and jeans.

Now....face and neck tattoos ARE dumb. As is ear "gauging". You should ALWAYS have the flexibility of covering them and changing your appearance to match societies interpretation of what a productive, good little cog-in-the-wheel you can be. Being able to change how you look/act to get farther in life is a very valuable ability and will get you much further than being an anti-establishment prick.

Kinda like how my old man taught me about swearing. It's not that by yelling at me, he thought I was not going to swear AT ALL. He taught me that you need the ability to flip your vocabulary like a switch subconsciously...you can swear all you want to your close friends, but if your in a meeting with potential clients...you can't accidentally drop the F-bomb.

Same goes for a man's appearance.
    As long as you don't wear the band's t-shirt to their concert, you and I have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So what is that symbolism, specificly?

What does choosing to engage in the same body modification-for-identification purposes behavioir once forced upon your ethnic ancestors by slave owners who treated them like cattle say about you, exactly?

I must admit, I've never quite understood this rationale. Can you explain it so I can better understand it?
    I'm not going to pretend I understand. But I'd think maybe it's a FU to the a-holes down there who wrap themselves in the confederate flag and claim its their "heritage"?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So what is that symbolism, specificly?

What does choosing to engage in the same body modification-for-identification purposes behavioir once forced upon your ethnic ancestors by slave owners who treated them like cattle say about you, exactly?

I must admit, I've never quite understood this rationale. Can you explain it so I can better understand it?
    It's beyond comprehensible.

College students in the late 20th and 21st century, attending Universities or Colleges costing $20,000-$50,000 a year are somehow symbolically comparing themselves to slaves from 100-200+ years ago by "branding" themselves?

Really?

Wow.

_

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    So instead of tattoos or brands you'd rather just ourwardly impose your opinions or judgements of others through words. The irony is many people find that just as "ugly" as Coples brands.
    “We view branding as a detestable practice and not as an act of exuding pride in the organization,” said Darryl R. Matthews Sr., general president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Matthews added, “Branding and ritual scarification is not a part of our intake process or a part of any procedure to be a member of the fraternity. This act does not accurately reflect the high ideals and principles upon which our organization was founded.”
    -------
    Can you believe how ugly the national head of this fraternity is by outwardly imposing his opinion and judgement? He's black too so he's allowed to speak on this, people of other races just can't understand how deep this practice is.

I've never seen so much outrage and disgust from sports fans that think a defensive lineman is ugly. Welcome to the new country club PSL crowd. LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Again, people go right from the jump of arm brands to suddenly tattoointg their entire face and body, 12 guage earlobe plugs, etc. Coples has his arms branded. When he wears businesslike work attire they are easily coverable. I have a tattoo on my arm, shoulder blade, and my lower calf. I'm proud of all of them today as I was the day I got them. They're very personal and have alot of meaning to me. I'm personally not a tribal tattoo or armband type of guy, nor am I into brands but it's not my place to judge them or demand that I shouldn't have to see them. My tattoos are all concealed when I work since I work in a professional business environment. If my career didn't require me to cover them up, such as being a football player, then I wouldn't. What Coples has is nothing more blatant or offensive than any guy who has an upper arm tattoo. I just think it's ironic that people are so eager to voice their opinion about someone else making a statement about themselves in any manner at all. Your outward opinions are just as colorful and garish as a tattoo, and sometimes they're ugly too.
    I'm not advocating denying anyone's right to have tats or brands, or that they shouldn't be proud of them.

I think they are ugly and I think the whole "branding" as some sort of symbolism thing is insulting.

Go enjoy your tattoos, no one says you shouldn't.

I don't have to like them, or be told my opinion of them is ugly. Some of them are actually pretty cool, just not for me.

I'm pretty sure the Bloods and crips are proud of their tats, but I don't have to like them either. I also can't STAND facial piercing and earlobe plugs. Those people are happy and proud too. It's all the same to me.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And here I thought that branding was a cheap way for students to prove their toughness and share a common identifying mark.

Kind of like Marines getting tattoo'd.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post

Can you believe how ugly the national head of this fraternity is by outwardly imposing his opinion and judgement? He's black too so he's allowed to speak on this, people of other races just can't understand how deep this practice is.
    LOL. Well said.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I've never seen so much outrage and disgust from sports fans that think a defensive lineman is ugly. Welcome to the new country club PSL crowd. LOL
    It's all in his eyes

I don't think anyone is saying HE'S ugly, just that the scars look horrible.

The outrage comes from that simple observation, yet for making that observation we get jumped on because we don't undertsand how deep and symbolic this "branding" is.

He's going to be an awesome Jet

_

“We view branding as a detestable practice and not as an act of exuding pride in the organization,” said Darryl R. Matthews Sr., general president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Matthews added, “Branding and ritual scarification is not a part of our intake process or a part of any procedure to be a member of the fraternity. This act does not accurately reflect the high ideals and principles upon which our organization was founded.”
    -------
    The "ugly" I was referring to was more on your statement that you do not have a filter than your opinion on the brands. I'm thinking you walking around blabbing any and every thought and feeling that comes to mind probably offends people just as much, if not more so, than some upper arm brands.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    It's all in his eyes

I don't think anyone is saying HE'S ugly, just that the scars look horrible.

The outrage comes from that simple observation, yet for making that observation we get jumped on because we don't undertsand how deep and symbolic this "branding" is.

He's going to be an awesome Jet

_
    Yeah no crap they look horrible. Who cares? He's a big nasty pass rusher not your daughter's boyfriend

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I have most of my arms covered in tattoos.

Getting an office job was easy...I just wore a long sleeve dress shirt and tie. Now that my boss sees the work I'm capable of, I wear short sleeve concert t-shirts and jeans.

Now....face and neck tattoos ARE dumb. As is ear "gauging". You should ALWAYS have the flexibility of covering them and changing your appearance to match societies interpretation of what a productive, good little cog-in-the-wheel you can be. Being able to change how you look/act to get farther in life is a very valuable ability and will get you much further than being an anti-establishment prick.

Kinda like how my old man taught me about swearing. It's not that by yelling at me, he thought I was not going to swear AT ALL. He taught me that you need the ability to flip your vocabulary like a switch subconsciously...you can swear all you want to your close friends, but if your in a meeting with potential clients...you can't accidentally drop the F-bomb.

Same goes for a man's appearance.
    This is slowly but surely becoming common place and will find its place among the tattooed and pierced suit monkeys sooner or later

(I have size 0 plugs)

Here's what YOU don't understand. I went to Syracuse which had a frat that included as part of the initiation the mutilation of the body via branding.
    At this point I can't really decide whether Syracuse should ask for their degree back, or if you should ask for a refund.

..... BIG SNIP......

Again, YOU don't get that it wasn't a debate about an OPINION. It doesn't matter what YOU, personally, think about Frat brands.

As I said, the one guy made a blanket opinion that can't be supported. His view was basically that EVERYONE who got a Frat Brand later regretted it and wished they hadn't. That just simply isn't the case.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT Stokes ? Is there something else I can do to help you so that you do ?? You know, smaller words, bold text, larger print ?

And BTW, yes, I do know successful guys who have frat brands and they were proud as hell when their sons got them as well. I know others who wished that they hadn't gotten them and would counsel against it for their kids. It's a PERSONAL FREAKING CHOICE.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    At this point I can't really decide whether Syracuse should ask for their degree back, or if you should ask for a refund.

..... BIG SNIP......

Again, YOU don't get that it wasn't a debate about an OPINION. It doesn't matter what YOU, personally, think about Frat brands.

As I said, the one guy made a blanket opinion that can't be supported. His view was basically that EVERYONE who got a Frat Brand later regretted it and wished they hadn't. That just simply isn't the case.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT Stokes ? Is there something else I can do to help you so that you do ?? You know, smaller words, bold text, larger print ?

And BTW, yes, I do know successful guys who have frat brands and they were proud as hell when their sons got them as well. I know others who wished that they hadn't gotten them and would counsel against it for their kids. It's a PERSONAL FREAKING CHOICE.
    Hmmm....What if we can negotiate a "degree commutation" whereby Stokes gets a partial refund on his tuition and Syracuse gets its degree back?

I'll take care of the arrangements....but you have to get a JI brand on your arse. Nothing too big - something tasteful that your kids would be proud of. It can go next to your Tebow brand.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

..... BIG SNIP......

Who the hell are you and why are you stalking me? Because you punked yourself that you thought I didn't know the difference between your and you're? Get your sarcasm indicator checked.

I KNOW it's a matter of personal opinion, I've stated that about a dozen times and I know what the discussion was about. When someone makes a generalization about something--as a MATTER OF OPINION--because there are outliers to that opinion does not negate the basis of the opinion. You may not agree with that opinion, but I couldn't care less.

I too am of the opinion that branding is something done by stupid frat kids following like sheep--it's my OPINION based upon my observance of that exact occurence in college. Saw it with my own eyes, saw the fake militant followers. I agreed with someone that shares the same opinion. Because one such brandee claims to be supremely educated and one hell of an employee and is proud of his brands--to me--is an outlier and does not change my opinion of self mutilation, or my opinion of people that do that to themselves OR the truthfullness of them saying they are proud of it and would be proud if their kids did it.

Do YOU not understand that? Do I need to use smaller words for you? Bold text?

Maybe my definition of someone highly educated is different than your definition. Not just talking degrees here either, skippy. You do that to yourself, or encourage your kid to do it? Not my definition of educated.

And to intimate, as one or 2 posters here have done, that there is some deeper symbolism to branding based upon slavery is just an abject insult to what slavery meant in this country.

I can explain it for you, I just can't understand it for you too.

_

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Hmmm....What if we can negotiate a "degree commutation" whereby Stokes gets a partial refund on his tuition and Syracuse gets its degree back?

I'll take care of the arrangements....but you have to get a JI brand on your arse. Nothing too big - something tasteful that your kids would be proud of. It can go next to your Tebow brand.
    If Tebow is here for 5 years, I'll get that brand on my ass

Hall Of Fame

_
    Then you are not a very good teacher.

With regards to QC's brands, I couldn't care less. All I want is for him is to become a great player for the Jets. He can brand his entire body and pierce his nipples for all I care. Personally, I think think they are stupid and ugly, but this is a free country. So more power to him and God bless him.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Veteran
    This thread has gradually gone from bad to unreadable. Some of you guys need a hobby or two.

Who the hell are you and why are you stalking me? Because you punked yourself that you thought I didn't know the difference between your and you're? Get your sarcasm indicator checked.

I KNOW it's a matter of personal opinion, I've stated that about a dozen times and I know what the discussion was about. When someone makes a generalization about something--as a MATTER OF OPINION--because there are outliers to that opinion does not negate the basis of the opinion. You may not agree with that opinion, but I couldn't care less.

I too am of the opinion that branding is something done by stupid frat kids following like sheep--it's my OPINION based upon my observance of that exact occurence in college. Saw it with my own eyes, saw the fake militant followers. I agreed with someone that shares the same opinion. Because one such brandee claims to be supremely educated and one hell of an employee and is proud of his brands--to me--is an outlier and does not change my opinion of self mutilation, or my opinion of people that do that to themselves OR the truthfullness of them saying they are proud of it and would be proud if their kids did it.

Maybe my definition of someone highly educated is different than your definition. Not just talking degrees here either, skippy. You do that to yourself, or encourage your kid to do it? Not my definition of educated.

And to intimate, as one or 2 posters here have done, that there is some deeper symbolism to branding based upon slavery is just an abject insult to what slavery meant in this country.

_

Again, you completely lost the plot and missed the point.

CleatMarks said this:

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    No offense but you gave him your resume when an explaination about why they aren't dumb would have been more appropriate. I'm neutral but I'd like to hear about their appropriateness vs some other form of identiy. He thinks self-scarring is stupid but you haven't explained why you don't think it is.

You jumped in with this reply:

Lol.

I've got more degrees than that guy, and I think they're f-ing stupid.

So what wins the argument? How many degrees you have or how often you've won Employee of the Year?

Kind of silly criteria if you ask me.

_

See that last part where you said "KIND OF SILLY CRITERIA" ??

I pointed out that the guy didn't include his resume as a "criteria", that he WAS NOT SAYING "Deeeerrrrppp, I have a degree so I must be right".

I've already explained this a number of times, but what the heck, maybe the 4th time is the charm.

Here is the statement that HoustonJet took issue with:

But QC's arm growths are just stupid bone-headed fraternity crap that college kids do and if they're being honest when they get older would admit they were a big mistake.
    We know that Houston singled out this statement as he took the time to go back and BOLD it when he replied with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    And you came to this conclusion how? I graduated Cum Laude, working on my Master's, got selected as Employee of the Year(mind you I'm the youngest Student Advisor, 27), a leader to my kids at the boxing gym I coach at, and proudly carry a brand on my right shoulder.

Again, he didn't list his accomplishments to establish a "criteria" as you indicated. Rather, he did so to rebut what David Harris said. To establish that he was a mature and productive person, yet he doesn't regret getting branded.

David apparently understood this much better than you did, because he replied with the following:

Houston, I get you're a productive and mature person and I apologize for offending you. My post was inflammatory - I just didn't feel like posting my feelings through the sensitivity filter.

Here, David got away from the blanket statement about how "when they got older", they'd all "admit that it was a big mistake". Instead, he switched over to talking about his personal opinion on modifications.

Do you now see where you went off track ??

Yes, I get it that you and others think that branding is a stupid thing to do. That wasn't the point.

_
    you know, if you took a minute to go on google and look up a little bit about the subject you'd see that branding is common among fraternities. and that since the 20's black fraternities have been doing this not only to show affiliation and commitment to the organization but also to reclaim a practice that had been used against their ancestors. those students have subverted the idea as a mark of ownership and in the process taken control of their bodies for themselves. this is from a book on the subject "encyclopedia of body adornment".

sorry it's so icky to you.. maybe you can have your wife cover your eyes when they show him on TV so you don't get offended