Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: QCs brands ... Treatable?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demosthenes, it is an internet argument.

It doesn't matter who is right. Everyone loses just b.c they participated.

Just have fun.

Here ya go . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Demosthenes, it is an internet argument.

It doesn't matter who is right. Everyone loses just b.c they participated.

Just have fun.

Here ya go . . .
    Thanks !!!!

BTW, I am having fun

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Thanks !!!!

BTW, I am having fun
    I appreciate your sense of humor.

BTW, Stokes is right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    This thread has gradually gone from bad to unreadable. Some of you guys need a hobby or two.
    Truer words have never been spoken

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, you completely lost the plot and missed the point.

Again, he didn't list his accomplishments to establish a "criteria" as you indicated. Rather, he did so to rebut what David Harris said. To establish that he was a mature and productive person, yet he doesn't regret getting branded.

David apparently understood this much better than you did, because he replied with the following:
    No, you continue to miss the point, and I took David Harris's retort as more mocking than actually giving a crap about getting anyone's nose out of joint.

The plot and point I was referring to related to Cleat saying branding is a stupid frat happenstance. Houston felt the need to explain that it's NOT just a stupid frat happenstance but that educated and productive members of society have done it, are proud of it and continue to be proud of it today.

Again, because ONE educated super employee did it and is proud of it today does not obviate the original premise that it's something dumb frat kids do. My opinion.

Retroactive rationalization by an individual--or a group of individuals--for doing something years or decades ago doesn't negate anyone else's opinion that it's generally done by stupid frat guys.

Spin it any way you want, you're missing MY point. Has nothing to do with whether I like them or not, it's an opinion as to who brands themselves and an opinion as to why they do it. Because one "educated" person did it and is proud of it does not nothing to change my opinion that a legion of stupid frat guys mutilated themselves, and the fake symbolization is insulting.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    who cares, i wouldn't have known "QC" had brands if this thread didn't exist..........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    you know, if you took a minute to go on google and look up a little bit about the subject you'd see that branding is common among fraternities. and that since the 20's black fraternities have been doing this not only to show affiliation and commitment to the organization but also to reclaim a practice that had been used against their ancestors. those students have subverted the idea as a mark of ownership and in the process taken control of their bodies for themselves. this is from a book on the subject "encyclopedia of body adornment".

sorry it's so icky to you.. maybe you can have your wife cover your eyes when they show him on TV so you don't get offended

So it's the same as calling each other "nigga" to take the sting out of the word. Hope the branding "take-back" has been more successful...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    the branding of slaves was never really a thing, so I don't know what they're taking back if thats the idea

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    No, you continue to miss the point, and I took David Harris's retort as more mocking than actually giving a crap about getting anyone's nose out of joint.

The plot and point I was referring to related to Cleat saying branding is a stupid frat happenstance. Houston felt the need to explain that it's NOT just a stupid frat happenstance but that educated and productive members of society have done it, are proud of it and continue to be proud of it today.

Again, because ONE educated super employee did it and is proud of it today does not obviate the original premise that it's something dumb frat kids do. My opinion.

Retroactive rationalization by an individual--or a group of individuals--for doing something years or decades ago doesn't negate anyone else's opinion that it's generally done by stupid frat guys.

Spin it any way you want, you're missing MY point. Has nothing to do with whether I like them or not, it's an opinion as to who brands themselves and an opinion as to why they do it. Because one "educated" person did it and is proud of it does not nothing to change my opinion that a legion of stupid frat guys mutilated themselves, and the fake symbolization is insulting.

_
    Damn son, you just don't know when to stop digging, do you ????

Sure, Houston was only pointing out that he wasn't a stupid frat kid, huh ??

Guess that's why he said this:

(mind you I'm the youngest Student Advisor, 27), a leader to my kids at the boxing gym I coach at, and proudly carry a brand on my right shoulder.

Gee, I wonder WTF he could have been replying to ???

Oh, wait, maybe it was this:

and if they're being honest when they get older would admit they were a big mistake.
    Ya think ?????

Yeah, I know, silly question. OF COURSE you don't think, as evidenced by this entire argument.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    who cares, i wouldn't have known "QC" had brands if this thread didn't exist..........
    I'd like to brand the chick in tha sig...

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Not sure if serious.

Artistic? Maybe.

Beautiful? Hell no.
    Scary

Intimidating

A trademark (Like a tattoo)

Just my thoughts on it hes played with them for a while and I think it's a pretty Elite Frat at Chapel Hill

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn son, you just don't know when to stop digging, do you ????
    No "son", you have no idea what I've been talking about or what Cleat was talking about when his comment started this whole stupid argument (and your stalking). And no understanding why generalities when used in an argument are not negated by one instance of an opposite viewpoint.

Self-mutilation by branding. Stupid frat stunt IMHO. Not negated by an educated super employee saying he's "proud of it". Let's see how opinions change over the years.

Let it go, stop digging for something that's not there (or is it they're or their?).

I'm golfing today, go have fun digging up 30 more quotes to support an argument that isn't even on the same tangent as I was arguing.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Booooooooo

This has to be one of the most boring arguments I have ever witnessed on JI. The replies/rebuttals are too long and their has been virtually zero personal attacks.

Lets go!!! TIME TO GET MEAN.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is still being argued? lol. Sure, his brands are rather disgusting to look at, but I couldn't less about them if he can ball.

Sometimes I think JI users don't have enough things to fill out their days.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    This is still being argued? lol. Sure, his brands are rather disgusting to look at, but I couldn't less about them if he can ball.

Sometimes I think JI users don't have enough things to fill out their days.
    When it comes to things to whine about..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what QC's hair will look like after training camp.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I'd like to brand the chick in tha sig...

That is my single most favorite gif in the history of the internet. But because of Haley, not her.

And even though tatoos have become ubiquitous, and maybe brands will now too, I've never liked looking at either of them (or ear plugs or whatever hte hell they're called). The only person who does tats right IMO is Henry Rollins'.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My apologies for the long delay and long response to a topic that seems dead, I was m.i.a. from JI... Never got the chance to give my response to a few of you guys(jstokes, david harris, jetsfan24, and warfish) so I'm taking the opportunity to do that now...

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I had the same call everyone has to memorialize dead family with a tattoo - I let the urge pass. I realized it would've been not for me but for the world to see my pain, I would've been branding myself a victim. I don't have to get a brand to show my people that they are my people - it's more than skin deep.
    Of course a tattoo or brand is a physical characteristic other people will notice and form an opinion about... But a person that does either just for the attention of other people has defeated the purpose of body art and may be susceptible to regret later dow the line... But for those who choose to be an individual by making a conscious effort to get a brand for symbolism and meaning, it holds a much greater value/purpose

The dudes at Syracuse were merely sheep following the herd, their form of hazing no more or less mature than any other form of hazing at all the other different frats. That somehow their frat was symbolic of something deeper than any of the other 20 frats.
    What made them sheep following the herd?

Basically the rest of the student population[which happens to be predominately white] thought them[the black fraternities] fools.

But you can out grow some of that frat life stuff--or at least one would hope as we become adults. The brands, you can't outgrow.
    Something that I would imagine a large majority now detest 20 or 30 years later.

Again you are making an assumption based off your bias opinion which has no foundation... This is my assumption but from the way you are talking, I'm willing to bet you don't personally know anyone with a brand to even ask them questions, therefore your opinion belongs in the toilet... Of course you can't outgrow a brand, which is why a person should make a conscious decision before they do it... The ones that do it for the thrill or the rush, ala for attention, are more likely to regret it, later down the line... Do I know some that do, of course I do but I know twice as many if not more that have no regrets...

The fact that one such branded individual is educated, with a Master's Degree, has won "Employee of the Year" and now claims he is "proud" of said brands is irrelevant. Would he get them today? Would he encourage his kids to get them? If he was being honest with himself?
    You claimed that boneheads get brands... As I stated before last I check boneheads weren't considered productive/positive people in society... So I posted a few accomplishments to debunk your bogus opinion... If I didn't get a brand a couple years ago as an undergrad, I would still be willing to do it today... Like I said I have no regrets... I wouldn't encourage my kids to get brands nor would I discourage them, but I will make them aware of what branding is and what it means to me, so that they can make up there own minds when they get to that age(if they are even interested)...

I think they are disgusting. As would many adults, educated or not. That this guy is educated and now claims to be proud of them is irrelevant.

I'm happy he's proud of his brand, good for him. I'm sure there are plenty of educated folks with 12 gage plugs in their earlobes (is that even a gage?), tats all over their face and neck, piercings all over their nose, lips, eyebrows, etc. are also proud of their body art.

It's not for me. Do whatever you want with your body, just don't try to convinve me that my opinion is wrong, or that somehow because you are educated, your opinion invalidates my opinion.

My education nor yours has any relevance to the validity of your opinion, but my knowledge and experience pertaining to branding does so yes your opinion is wrong... If you don't like it/think its digesting thats fine you have that right... but when u begin to pass judgement based off an opinion of something you have no knowledge about, that's shows your lack of intelligence aka ignorance...
    Such as this:I think it's gross and the type of thing that got done at MY college by silly kids who thought they were part of some sort of rebellion.
    Again what made them silly and part of this so-called "rebellion"?

Nice, so I'm a complete loser because it is my opinion that I think branding your body is a form of digusting self-mutilation? Because I saw a hundred sheep in college do this because they were part of some "nation", yet my opinion is wrong? Because you're PROUD of it?

No you're a loser not because of your opinion but because you continue to pass judgement on people who engage in an activity you're not knowledgeable about and that doesn't affect your livelihood... You call these guys sheep and you somehow seem to have convinced yourself that this is what they are, a bunch of foolish followers who don't contribute to anything productive...

I'm not ignorant, you're trying to convince yourself that self mutulation represents something bigger than what it is, and you are using your education level to somehow convince others that their opinion is wrong. Just because YOU didn't do it because you were once young and stupid doesn't mean thousands of frat guys out there did it BECAUSE they were young and stupid. I saw it at Syracuse.

Your understanding is terrible... You chose to single out my education, I simply just mentioned it along with a few other accomplishments to challenge your idea that people who received brands were silly/boneheads... Maybe you do, but i don't know of any boneheads that were productive in and out of school...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And I agree (again, as a libertarian) with the idea that while an individual has the absolute rigth to brand themselves if they wish, other individuals have an equal absolute rigth to make judgements about the branded individual as they see fit, as long as no laws are broken or harm inflicted, of course (shouldn;t have to be said, but still).
    So are you saying it's okay to pass judgement on people based off their appearance? Whatever opinion your create in your head will eventually show through your actions hence racism, sexism...

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    What I think is stupid about the branding, and the other fraternity bs is that it's just young men giving into tribalism, and getting a rush from it, and pretending like it's this big meaningful thing, when in 10 years time it means jack ****. Oh so you just pledged a frat last week, met a bunch of dudes you don't know, now you have this deep unbreakable bond that no one else could possibly understand that you have to wear on your skin forever. It's just silly and fake.
    In November, I will be celebrating 9 years in my fraternity and every morning I wake up and see that brand on my shoulder I feel the same since of loyalty now as I did when I initially got it... I spent 9weeks 5 days with 8 other men(some i knew some I didn't) learning who we were as individuals, as a group, the fraternity, and how we can become beneficial to the fraternity in regards to community involvement, which in turn created that deep unbreakable bond you seem to think is fake...

The outrage comes from that simple observation, yet for making that observation we get jumped on because we don't undertsand how deep and symbolic this "branding" is.

He's going to be an awesome Jet
    No you are getting jumped on not because you don't understand how deep or symbolic branding is, it is because you don't understand how deep or symbolic branding is YET you choose to pass judgement on the people who engaged in an activity you don't understand... But maybe where you're from that type of thing is the norm, therefore you don't see a problem with it...

Because one such brandee claims to be supremely educated and one hell of an employee and is proud of his brands--to me--is an outlier and does not change my opinion of self mutilation, or my opinion of people that do that to themselves OR the truthfullness of them saying they are proud of it and would be proud if their kids did it.

Maybe my definition of someone highly educated is different than your definition. Not just talking degrees here either, skippy. You do that to yourself, or encourage your kid to do it? Not my definition of educated. :roll eyes:

Says the guy who mentioned he has more degrees than myself for whatever reason...
    And to intimate, as one or 2 posters here have done, that there is some deeper symbolism to branding based upon slavery is just an abject insult to what slavery meant in this country.

I can explain it for you, I just can't understand it for you too.
    Since you mentioned it, what did slavery mean to this country... I've never had the opportunity(successfully) to talk to someone outside my race about slavery, I'm very interested... But as far as the slavery correlation and branding, it does have some significance as far as the origins, but that had no play in my decision to get one... My connection to my ancestors and my answer to slavery is tied to the words I live by everyday... NEVER BE AS GOOD AS, BE BETTER THAN...
    Last edited by HoustonJET; 05-10-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: disclaimer at the top...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post

No you are getting jumped on not because you don't understand how deep or symbolic branding is, it is because you don't understand how deep or symbolic branding is YET you choose to pass judgement on the people who engaged in an activity you don't understand... But maybe where you're from that type of thing is the norm, therefore you don't see a problem with it...
    I thought this was dead.

Deep and symbolic.

Ok

We pass judgement on people everyday based on activities we don't understand.

There are a lot of things most of us "don't understand" yet we can all still ask "WTF?" Some activites do not need to be understood to be criticized. And there is NOTHING wrong with that--don't ask for expamples because this isn't the World Politics Forum and it could get messy.

I'm glad you're happy and proud of your scars. I'm not sure all the fake militants I saw in college getting them are as "proud" today as they were 30 years ago.

Whatever, Coples is going to be a beast

_