Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: QCs brands ... Treatable?

Jets Insider VIP
    I got a new one just for this thread:

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post

Since you mentioned it, what did slavery mean to this country... I've never had the opportunity(successfully) to talk to someone outside my race about slavery, I'm very interested... But as far as the slavery correlation and branding, it does have some significance as far as the origins, but that had no play in my decision to get one... My connection to my ancestors and my answer to slavery is tied to the words I live by everyday... NEVER BE AS GOOD AS, BE BETTER THAN...
    Again, rather not get into that discussion, but if branding is somehow meant in any way to equate today's minutia with the real horror slaves endured, then that's incredibly insulting.

But what do I know, I'm third generation Italian, my Grandfather showed up at Ellis Island in 1897 as a 10 year old, penniless and was shunted to slums, his future wife, my Grandmonther, showed up 8 years later, they married and worked themselves to death to provide for their children, and my father did the same for his children.

Nothing anywhere CLOSE to slavery and I would never compare the two situations, but MY people were treated like scum when they got to America.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I got a new one just for this thread:

Betsy? Nice

_

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I thought this was dead.

Deep and symbolic.

Ok

We pass judgement on people everyday based on activities we don't understand.

There are a lot of things most of us "don't understand" yet we can all still ask "WTF?" Some activites do not need to be understood to be criticized. And there is NOTHING wrong with that--don't ask for expamples because this isn't the World Politics Forum and it could get messy.

I'm glad you're happy and proud of your scars. I'm not sure all the fake militants I saw in college getting them are as "proud" today as they were 30 years ago.

Whatever, Coples is going to be a beast <----- agreed, Que brand and all...

_
    If it's dead then why did you respond? As a man of as you say "more degrees than me"(whatever that means) I would expect for you to understand what ignorance is... Ignorance- (noun)the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc....

Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on things you really have no knowledge of and using that to pass judgement on people? It's not hard to keep an uninformed opinion to yourself? I'm pretty sure you're not willing to tell someone face to face that they were/are stupid/silly/boneheads for having a brand... Of course it's highly likely you're going to say you would though...

I hope that I never read a negative reply from you in response to someone talking about something they clearly have no knowledge of, and you're familiar with the topic of discussion...

I would gladly take this conversation to the Off-Topic forum if that means you can give me examples... but i'm pretty sure you're not willing to do that...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Hey guys,

Do you think it would be possible for Coples to have surgery on those nasty brand scars? I am worried that they will get nasty injuries during normal play.

I've scoured the Internet ... Could nt find a definitive answer. If there were no way they could get caught on a face mask or something i would not even bring it up.

Am I the only person thinking about this?
    I am thinking about it now that it has been pointed out to me.

Good thread
    Last edited by EM31; 05-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    If it's dead then why did you respond? As a man of as you say "more degrees than me"(whatever that means) I would expect for you to understand what ignorance is... Ignorance- (noun)the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc....

Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on things you really have no knowledge of and using that to pass judgement on people? It's not hard to keep an uninformed opinion to yourself? I'm pretty sure you're not willing to tell someone face to face that they were/are stupid/silly/boneheads for having a brand... Of course it's highly likely you're going to say you would though...

I hope that I never read a negative reply from you in response to someone talking about something they clearly have no knowledge of, and you're familiar with the topic of discussion...

I would gladly take this conversation to the Off-Topic forum if that means you can give me examples... but i'm pretty sure you're not willing to do that...
    OK, letís play.

But letís do this with extremes.

At one end of the spectrum, I donít understand someone with a dozen facial piercings, safety pins in their cheeks, loops through their noseís, spikes protruding from their foreheads, 00 gauge plugs in their ears. It may be deep and symbolic to them, I think itís asinine, so yes, I will pass judgment on them.

I guess that makes me ignorant.

On the other spectrum I donít understand Muslim Extremistís blowing up innocent civilians, knocking down buildings, killing themselves all in the name of their God.

Sounds pretty deep and symbolic, no?

Can I not criticize that which I do not understand?

Can I not pass judgment on that which I find incomprehensible?

Does that make me ignorant?

There is NOTHING wrong with voicing an opinion on things you have no knowledge or understanding of, or passing judgement on people based upon those uninformed opinions. It's all a matter of degrees (i.e., the unit of measure degrees, not the higher education degrees).

Let it go, you should be happy and proud of your scars.

I'm not passing judgement on YOU, I don't even know you.

I'm passing judgement generally on the practice of self-mutilation, notwithstanding the ďdeep and symbolic meaningĒ.

Btw, I have more of an understanding of the practice than you think I do, but you don't know ME, so if you want to pass judgement on something YOU are ignorant of, go right ahead.

_

Veteran
    Again, rather not get into that discussion, but if branding is somehow meant in any way to equate today's minutia with the real horror slaves endured, then that's incredibly insulting.

But what do I know, I'm third generation Italian, my Grandfather showed up at Ellis Island in 1897 as a 10 year old, penniless and was shunted to slums, his future wife, my Grandmonther, showed up 8 years later, they married and worked themselves to death to provide for their children, and my father did the same for his children.

Nothing anywhere CLOSE to slavery and I would never compare the two situations, but MY people were treated like scum when they got to America.

_
    Because you brought up your family, I'll leave that one alone, but it must be a good feeling to have knowledge of who your family was in 1897 and what they were doing...

A person that sprained their ankle doesn't understand what a person that broke their leg(s) went through...

Jets Insider VIP
    Btw, I have more of an understanding of the practice than you think I do...
    You do...I picked up on that in the third sentence of your post

Hall Of Fame
    Because you brought up your family, I'll leave that one alone, but it must be a good feeling to have knowledge of who your family was in 1897 and what they were doing...

A person that sprained their ankle doesn't understand what a person that broke their leg(s) went through...
    Ahhhh, I see where you're going with this.

Touche pulling that one out.

Nice.

_

Hall Of Fame

Not you! Love you (no homo).

_

And that my friends, should end any comparative prejudice with regards to slavery. Game, Set, Match on that subject.

"Pump the brakes, JSTokes."

Sincerely,

Everybody reading this thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    "Pump the brakes, JSTokes."

Sincerely,

Everybody reading this thread.
    I pumped my brakes a week ago, onto to have old scars reopened.

Not sure why, so I responded. Sorry if that offends you.

_

Veteran
    Hope you don't mind me co-signing your post, but that is the exact thing I was thinking...

Ahhhh, I see where you're going with this.

Touche pulling that one out.

Nice.

_
    ahaha... No i'm not taking it there at all, just wanted to show you how privileged you are... but I commend you for "suddenly" on Page 7 getting an understanding of branding... You want extreme I have one for you... I think drinking alcohol is stupid and I don't understand why people enjoy it so much or say they need it to have fun or what not... but with me being myself, I'm not going to demean people who indulge in it simply because I don't understand their preference...

Hall Of Fame
    Hope you don't mind me co-signing your post, but that is the exact thing I was thinking...

ahaha... No i'm not taking it there at all, just wanted to show you how privileged you are... but I commend you for "suddenly" on Page 7 getting an understanding of branding... You want extreme I have one for you... I think drinking alcohol is stupid and I don't understand why people enjoy it so much or say they need it to have fun or what not... but with me being myself, I'm not going to demean people who indulge in it simply because I don't understand their preference...
    That's your right. If you did demean them, that is also your right. I see people doing stupid stuff every day and I judge them based on their actions, just like I judge people on their virtues. You may not be a judgmental person, good for you.

Btw, one of my first posts on this subject mentioned my "understanding" of branding and it's been consistent ever since.

I saw all the toy soldiers in their faux-militant garb with all the deep and symbolic brandings marching around MY campus 30+ years ago and I thought then as I think now that the symbolism was fraudulent and infantile and --quite frankly--insulting--to what they were comparing themselves to.

_

Hall Of Fame
    I pumped my brakes a week ago, onto to have old scars reopened.

Not sure why, so I responded. Sorry if that offends you.

_
    Bonus points for the throwaway "scars" reference.

Isawwhatyoudidthere.

Hall Of Fame
    Well allow me to retort...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Hey guys,

Do you think it would be possible for Coples to have surgery on those nasty brand scars? I am worried that they will get nasty injuries during normal play.

I've scoured the Internet ... Could nt find a definitive answer. If there were no way they could get caught on a face mask or something i would not even bring it up.

Am I the only person thinking about this?
    I don't know but they are ugly as hell and I do not understand why anyone would want to do that to their body.............

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    I don't know but they are ugly as hell and I do not understand why anyone would want to do that to their body.............
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever..."