Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 148

Thread: QCs brands ... Treatable?

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Hey guys,

    Do you think it would be possible for Coples to have surgery on those nasty brand scars? I am worried that they will get nasty injuries during normal play.

    I've scoured the Internet ... Could nt find a definitive answer. If there were no way they could get caught on a face mask or something i would not even bring it up.

    Am I the only person thinking about this?
    lol, I love the offseason

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    And you came to this conclusion how? I graduated Cum Laude, working on my Master's, got selected as Employee of the Year(mind you I'm the youngest Student Advisor, 27), a leader to my kids at the boxing gym I coach at, and proudly carry a brand on my right shoulder. If more people actually took the time to talk about things they know of rather than WHAT THEY DONT KNOW OR UNDERSTAND, we wouldn't have so many A--holes in the world...

    By the way... Univ of Texas band (predominately white) for years has been known to give Longhorn brands to some of it members...
    No offense but you gave him your resume when an explaination about why they aren't dumb would have been more appropriate. I'm neutral but I'd like to hear about their appropriateness vs some other form of identiy. He thinks self-scarring is stupid but you haven't explained why you don't think it is.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    That's a question a person in denial can answer for you, I can't...
    exactly what someone in denial would say

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    No offense but you gave him your resume when an explaination about why they aren't dumb would have been more appropriate. I'm neutral but I'd like to hear about their appropriateness vs some other form of identiy. He thinks self-scarring is stupid but you haven't explained why you don't think it is.
    There was a time when tattoos were looked at just as reprehensibly. Now they're pretty commonplace. A person's body is their own to decorate, brand, tattoo, pierce, or whatever the heck they want to do. I'm pretty certain Coples didn't get a branding while wondering what we think.

  5. #45
    I understand the rationale behind branding, I just think it's a stupid rationale.

    I know people that have been branded and they know how I feel about it.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I understand the rationale behind branding, I just think it's a stupid rationale.

    I know people that have been branded and they know how I feel about it.
    OMG wait, they knew how you felt about it and went ahead and did it? How could they

    Two things:
    A. In reality, you don't have to agree with it, it doesn't matter, the judgment on how he chooses to display his pride isn't needed. However he choses to do so is he prerogative.
    B. At the end of the day, the only reason we know of the guy is because he's on a team that we love and we should all not forget the whole reason he's even on board: get to opposing quarterbacks and help us win games. The dude can wear a dress all day long, wear pink shoulder pads and prance around the field. At the end of the day, if he can ball, thats all I care about and thats all that matters IRL.

    Sometimes I feel like people get wrapped up in player's lives when in reality, we don't know diddly squat about them. Don't place judgment on him just because you don't agree with something he did. It doesn't have to make sense to you, he's the only person it matters to. If he got it, say because he joined Omega and his dad was also a Brother that also had a brand, then his dad passed away and that was his sign of respect and honor to his dad. Would you still pass judgment like that?
    It doesn't matter if there are other ways of showing respect, pride, solidarity et al, because thats the way he chose to. The tattoo example was a great one, and one that I was thinking about it. Nowadays, many, MANY people have tattoos. Meanwhile, it wasn't too long ago that people were sitting around and had to give each other Indian tattoos with ink and a sewing needle because it wasn't accepted by the general public.

    At the end of it all, give it up and just root for the guy to level Fitzpatrick on opening day.


    **FTR, I have no brandings, tattoos, piercings or anything of the like, but I still don't pass judgment on people that choose to do these things. Its just another way to share a passion with the world on the one and only thing that no one can every take from us, which is our bodies.

  7. #47
    You're gonna take the most extreme example as your argument? Go to the beach, at least half the people there have at least one tattoo on an arm, likely one on each. Coples brands are no different.

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    No offense but you gave him your resume when an explaination about why they aren't dumb would have been more appropriate. I'm neutral but I'd like to hear about their appropriateness vs some other form of identiy. He thinks self-scarring is stupid but you haven't explained why you don't think it is.
    Lol.

    I've got more degrees than that guy, and I think they're f-ing stupid.

    So what wins the argument? How many degrees you have or how often you've won Employee of the Year?

    Kind of silly criteria if you ask me.

    _
    Last edited by JStokes; 05-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    No offense but you gave him your resume when an explaination about why they aren't dumb would have been more appropriate. I'm neutral but I'd like to hear about their appropriateness vs some other form of identiy. He thinks self-scarring is stupid but you haven't explained why you don't think it is.
    Actually Cleat, given that he was responding this this statement:

    just stupid bone-headed fraternity crap that college kids do and if they're being honest when they get older would admit they were a big mistake.
    His resume is pertinent. It shows a degree of maturity and responsibility, which counters the notion that it's something young and dumb college students do, that they will later regret.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,237
    Branded labia, yea or nay? Anyone ever seen one? I myself, have not.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Lol.

    I've got more degrees than that guy, and I think they're f-ing stupid.

    So what wins the argument? How many degrees you have or how often you've won Employee of the Year?

    Kind of silly criteria if you ask me.

    _

    What's actually kind of sad is that with all your degrees, you don't understand that his statement wasn't binary or mutually exclusive. That two people with degrees differ in opinion on the issue is irrelevant.

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    What's actually kind of sad is that with all your degrees, you don't understand that his statement wasn't binary or mutually exclusive. That two people with degrees differ in opinion on the issue is irrelevant.
    Your wrong.

    Their stupid.

    Having said that, my degrees didn't involve the study of self mutilation and the pride derived therefrom, so what do I know?

    Hey, I think the piercing of genitalia is stupid too, but I pretty sure some of those folks take great pride in they're body art.

    Still, no reason to be sad about it.

    _

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Dude ... seriously ... I am only concerned about his safety ... plus I have seen pictures of his arm bandaged up ... I am wondering if he has hurt them before.

    Hampur if you must, but I was definitely not being a racist .. Id have said the same thing of anyone of any color that had mega scars like this. (see the above pic)

    And yes ... I do regret bringing up.
    I don't mind saying it, I hate the sight of those freaking things period and thought the same thing about if he'd ever have them removed. The second I saw them I couldn't help asking what kind of an idiot would do that to himself? Break out the flamethrowers.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Your wrong.

    Their stupid.

    Having said that, my degrees didn't involve the study of self mutilation and the pride derived therefrom, so what do I know?

    Hey, I think the piercing of genitalia is stupid too, but I pretty sure some of those folks take great pride in they're body art.

    Still, no reason to be sad about it.

    _

    Damn, here you are doubling down and missing the point again.

    let's try it a different way.

    First person posts: "Dude, someone like a Lawyer would NEVER think such a thing".

    Lawyer #1 responds: "Ummm, I'm a lawyer and I WOULD think such a thing, therefore, you are wrong".

    Now you come along and say "Well dude, I'm a lawyer too, and I wouldn't think such a thing".




    WRT to the "truth" or "validity" of the original post, whether or not two lawyers agree on the subject is irrelevant to the point that was made in the first response.

    In this case, the one guy basically said that being branded was something that young, stupid college kids did, and that when they got older, they all regretted having it done.

    The guy who replied gave his resume, so to speak, which illustrated that he wasn't some dumb young college kid anymore, but rather a more mature person who is well established, and that he didn't regret getting branded and they they still have meaning for him.

    His inclusion of his degrees wasn't to set himself up as an "expert". It was to show a maturity level.

    If you want, it would be like someone making the stupid claim that "professional types" don't have tattoos, or if they do, they regret getting them, and someone like you replying back saying "ummm, I'm a Corporate Lawyer (read: very expensive suit), I have a number of tattoos and I have no regret about them".

    Understand now ?

  15. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Great state of TEXAS
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    No offense but you gave him your resume when an explaination about why they aren't dumb would have been more appropriate. I'm neutral but I'd like to hear about their appropriateness vs some other form of identiy. He thinks self-scarring is stupid but you haven't explained why you don't think it is.
    Not a resume at all just a few accomplishments of a person proud to still have a brand... A response to his ignorant claim that people such as myself who have brands are "bonehead fraternity members" with self doubt later down the line... Last time I checked boneheads weren't labeled as productive people... I don't think its stupid so there is no explanation needed from me... Don't care to change his mind, if that's how he feels that's cool, just didn't like that he spoke out on something he knows nothing about... But, I will say that I'm a fan of body art as I have 1 brand and several tattoos all of which have significant meanings...

    jetsfan24:
    Was that the best response you could think of, I thought only kids respond like that...

    jstokes:
    Complete loser... All those "degrees" and you still haven't learned how to decrease your ignorance...
    Last edited by HoustonJET; 05-06-2012 at 11:49 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by sogreedy23 View Post
    OMG wait, they knew how you felt about it and went ahead and did it? How could they

    Two things:
    A. In reality, you don't have to agree with it, it doesn't matter, the judgment on how he chooses to display his pride isn't needed. However he choses to do so is he prerogative.
    B. At the end of the day, the only reason we know of the guy is because he's on a team that we love and we should all not forget the whole reason he's even on board: get to opposing quarterbacks and help us win games. The dude can wear a dress all day long, wear pink shoulder pads and prance around the field. At the end of the day, if he can ball, thats all I care about and thats all that matters IRL.

    Sometimes I feel like people get wrapped up in player's lives when in reality, we don't know diddly squat about them. Don't place judgment on him just because you don't agree with something he did. It doesn't have to make sense to you, he's the only person it matters to. If he got it, say because he joined Omega and his dad was also a Brother that also had a brand, then his dad passed away and that was his sign of respect and honor to his dad. Would you still pass judgment like that?
    It doesn't matter if there are other ways of showing respect, pride, solidarity et al, because thats the way he chose to. The tattoo example was a great one, and one that I was thinking about it. Nowadays, many, MANY people have tattoos. Meanwhile, it wasn't too long ago that people were sitting around and had to give each other Indian tattoos with ink and a sewing needle because it wasn't accepted by the general public.

    At the end of it all, give it up and just root for the guy to level Fitzpatrick on opening day.


    **FTR, I have no brandings, tattoos, piercings or anything of the like, but I still don't pass judgment on people that choose to do these things. Its just another way to share a passion with the world on the one and only thing that no one can every take from us, which is our bodies.
    Wow, that was an over the top response. It's really not that serious. I think you responded to what you think I said instead of what I actually wrote.

  17. #57
    Only issue I have with his brands is that they are disgusting to look at. I hope his Jets uniform will cover them at least a bit, or maybe we can get RG3 to donate some arm covers.
    Last edited by McGinley; 06-08-2012 at 12:45 PM.

  18. #58

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Wow, that was an over the top response. It's really not that serious. I think you responded to what you think I said instead of what I actually wrote.
    Not at all. The joke of a first line was to you, rest was a general rant (mainly Stokes' pompous ass that's annoying). I'm just tired of people not supporting this team, bickering over little things. It's like SAR I is now a transmissible disease and everyone is coughing. I've been in defense of Coples because of the trash talk he's received already as a Jet, before even playing a down- just very annoying.

    I'll apologize if you thought that was all to you, more of a rant of frustration with this board. Nothing I thought you did or didn't say.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Your wrong.

    Their stupid.

    Having said that, my degrees didn't involve the study of self mutilation and the pride derived therefrom, so what do I know?

    Hey, I think the piercing of genitalia is stupid too, but I pretty sure some of those folks take great pride in they're body art.

    Still, no reason to be sad about it.

    _

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRpQNdlttDs

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,667
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    Not a resume at all just a few accomplishments of a person proud to still have a brand... A response to his ignorant claim that people such as myself who have brands are "bonehead fraternity members" with self doubt later down the line... Last time I checked boneheads weren't labeled as productive people... I don't think its stupid so there is no explanation needed from me... Don't care to change his mind, if that's how he feels that's cool, just didn't like that he spoke out on something he knows nothing about... But, I will say that I'm a fan of body art as I have 1 brand and several tattoos all of which have significant meanings...

    jetsfan24:
    Was that the best response you could think of, I thought only kids respond like that...

    jstokes:
    Complete loser... All those "degrees" and you still haven't learned how to decrease your ignorance...
    Houston, I get you're a productive and mature person and I apologize for offending you. My post was inflammatory - I just didn't feel like posting my feelings through the sensitivity filter.

    Truth is we're all judged on our appearance, what we put out into the world. I'm not going to hire a Goth kid with 6 piercings on his face, most businesses won't. Not because they're bad people but because I think it exhibits a lack of maturity and I don't want that representing a business.

    If people elect to decorate their bodies that is certainly their priority - but they have to accept that other people's judgements of what they're displaying to the world are not in their control. There's faulty logic stating that an external display is just for you internally.

    I had the same call everyone has to memorialize dead family with a tattoo - I let the urge pass. I realized it would've been not for me but for the world to see my pain, I would've been branding myself a victim. I don't have to get a brand to show my people that they are my people - it's more than skin deep.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us