Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty high praise for Demario Davis....."Steal of the draft"

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Pretty high praise for Demario Davis....."Steal of the draft"

Sorry if this was posted already....

Rex Ryan likens Jets rookie linebacker Demario Davis' leadership skills to Ray Lewis

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan has never been bashful of making grandiose predictions, projections or comparisons. Whether it was scribbling “Soon to Be Champs” on an ESPN tour bus or proclaiming that an aging Derrick Mason would catch 90 or so balls, Ryan isn’t afraid to take a leap of faith. On Friday, he took another.

[B]Ryan likened third-round pick Demario Davis’ “natural leadership skills” to Ravens’ great Ray Lewis.[/B]

“You can have a list of 500 numbers up there on a wall, but how many real leaders are up there?” Ryan said on the first day of rookie mini-camp. “It’s easy to say, ‘Well, this guy was a leader for his football team.’ But does he have that thing that he can lead men? That’s rare. Some guys have it. Ray Lewis had it when he came in. The day he walked into Baltimore, he was the leader of that defense. That was one year before I got there. That’s what they all said. When I got there, he was clearly the leader. It’s strange… but what kind of motivator is Ray Lewis? Ray Lewis motivated me as a coach. That’s rare for a player to do that (and) have that kind of ability. I’m not saying Demario is that guy, but… and there’s only one Ray Lewis… but it’s interesting.”

“His face. His mannerisms. Passion,” Ryan continued. “I see some things.…. It’s interesting… When you watch him on the tape, he pops off the tape. Like I said, he reminds me of a young Bart Scott: A guy that’s just full of energy, flying all over the place and couldn’t wait to hit somebody. That’s kind of how he reminds me.”

Davis played both strong and weak-side linebacker at Arkansas State, but will be moved inside in the Jets’ 3-4 scheme. [B]The feeling inside the organization is that Davis could be the steal of the draft.[/B]

His speed could make him a candidate to play on obvious passing downs. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine admitted earlier in the week that the front seven had become “dinosaurish” last season. Gang Green consistently struggled covering tight end in space as well.

“You either have it or you don’t and it seems like he has it,” Ryan said. “There’s some guys that have that natural leadership and he has some of that. That’s what you love in a linebacker.”

Davis already talked about Ryan’s “Play like a Jet” mantra.

“We think we’re special here,” Ryan said. “I know we had a bad year. Granted… I’ll say that with every statement, but I know one thing: We want it to be special. You can play in this league, but can you play for the Jets? Again, we want that attitude and that mentality… that this is the place to be. We want everything you got. … I think that young man understands it.”

[url]http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream[/url]
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4460615]Sorry if this was posted already....

Rex Ryan likens Jets rookie linebacker Demario Davis' leadership skills to Ray Lewis

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan has never been bashful of making grandiose predictions, projections or comparisons. Whether it was scribbling “Soon to Be Champs” on an ESPN tour bus or proclaiming that an aging Derrick Mason would catch 90 or so balls, Ryan isn’t afraid to take a leap of faith. On Friday, he took another.

[B]Ryan likened third-round pick Demario Davis’ “natural leadership skills” to Ravens’ great Ray Lewis.[/B]

“You can have a list of 500 numbers up there on a wall, but how many real leaders are up there?” Ryan said on the first day of rookie mini-camp. “It’s easy to say, ‘Well, this guy was a leader for his football team.’ But does he have that thing that he can lead men? That’s rare. Some guys have it. Ray Lewis had it when he came in. The day he walked into Baltimore, he was the leader of that defense. That was one year before I got there. That’s what they all said. When I got there, he was clearly the leader. It’s strange… but what kind of motivator is Ray Lewis? Ray Lewis motivated me as a coach. That’s rare for a player to do that (and) have that kind of ability. I’m not saying Demario is that guy, but… and there’s only one Ray Lewis… but it’s interesting.”

“His face. His mannerisms. Passion,” Ryan continued. “I see some things.…. It’s interesting… When you watch him on the tape, he pops off the tape. Like I said, he reminds me of a young Bart Scott: A guy that’s just full of energy, flying all over the place and couldn’t wait to hit somebody. That’s kind of how he reminds me.”

Davis played both strong and weak-side linebacker at Arkansas State, but will be moved inside in the Jets’ 3-4 scheme. [B]The feeling inside the organization is that Davis could be the steal of the draft.[/B]

His speed could make him a candidate to play on obvious passing downs. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine admitted earlier in the week that the front seven had become “dinosaurish” last season. Gang Green consistently struggled covering tight end in space as well.

“You either have it or you don’t and it seems like he has it,” Ryan said. “There’s some guys that have that natural leadership and he has some of that. That’s what you love in a linebacker.”

Davis already talked about Ryan’s “Play like a Jet” mantra.

“We think we’re special here,” Ryan said. “I know we had a bad year. Granted… I’ll say that with every statement, but I know one thing: We want it to be special. You can play in this league, but can you play for the Jets? Again, we want that attitude and that mentality… that this is the place to be. We want everything you got. … I think that young man understands it.”

[url]http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream[/url][/QUOTE]

I loved reading it Arod. Thanks for posting!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4460627]I loved reading it Arod. Thanks for posting![/QUOTE]

Anytime Kentucky...

All League
    if only.. i love rex but he's got alot of used car salesmen (duh) in him.. we won't have to wait long with any of our first three picks to see if these dogs will indeed hunt.. all will be expected to contribute year one..

All Pro
    It's always nice to hear good things about your players... But Rex has less than no credibility when praising his own guys. He praises the great ones, he praises the mediocre ones and he praises Wayne Hunter...

Veteran
    I only got to watch him play 4-5 times while he was at State, but he was always the best player on the field. Flies to the ball like a rocket, has that crazy look in his eye right before the snap(kinda like he can see the Qb's heart beating), he may just be THE steal.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Austin;4460646]It's always nice to hear good things about your players... But Rex has less than no credibility when praising his own guys. He praises the great ones, he praises the mediocre ones and he praises Wayne Hunter...[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: A guy with Charlie Sheen as his avatar talks about credibility.......pretty ironic.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4460648]:rolleyes: A guy with Charlie Sheen as his avatar talks about credibility.......pretty ironic.[/QUOTE]

Good one.

You're absolutely right Rex has never been known to praise his own guys even when they don't deserve it.

[QUOTE=Austin;4460646]It's always nice to hear good things about your players... But Rex has less than no credibility when praising his own guys. He praises the great ones, he praises the mediocre ones and he praises Wayne Hunter...[/QUOTE]

There is some truth to this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I know Rex gets excited and believes in his players but I don't think it's a good idea to put so much pressure on a rookie like that. Let the kid develop.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4460648]:rolleyes: A guy with Charlie Sheen as his avatar talks about credibility.......pretty ironic.[/QUOTE]

Ironic, but correct. One pretty much has to dismiss 95% of what Rex says. I've come to accept that as the norm. As long as the Jets win games, he can talk till the cows come home.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dcat;4460655]Ironic, but correct. One pretty much has to dismiss 95% of what Rex says. I've come to accept that as the norm. As long as the Jets win games, he can talk till the cows come home.[/QUOTE]

Rex has certainly had his humbling moments concerning things he has said over the past few seasons, but, I certainly trust his assessment of defensive players.

And the remarks that Davis could be the "steal of the draft" were not made directly by Rex.

If you read the article, it was said that [B]that was the feeling within the organization [/B]and I would say that "the organization" definitely encompasses more then just Rex's opinion.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=RazorJet;4460647]I only got to watch him play 4-5 times while he was at State, but he was always the best player on the field. Flies to the ball like a rocket, has that crazy look in his eye right before the snap(kinda like he can see the Qb's heart beating), he may just be THE steal.[/QUOTE]

Im more impressed by your assessment..... than Rex's, lol.

Me likey!

-

Hall Of Fame
    I loved the Jets drafted and am really excited about a bunch of players, but none more so than Davis. If we can get even a 1/100 of Ray Lewis out of him, Davis will be the steal of the draft, and then some.

All Pro
    Add in Antonio Allen as a "steal" potentially of the draft, and the Jets are looking better and better. This was a VERY good Jets draft overall, despite what the supposed experts have graded it, based largely on the notion of risk for the first two picks. I don't believe for a second that Coples is a risk at all. Hill, perhaps. In most drafts if you come away with two starters you're a winner. The Jets definitely did that and more.

Hall Of Fame
    Coples is a young Richard Seymour.

Hill is going to be Megatron.

Davis is like Ray Lewis.

All before they even play a down.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460713]Coples is a young Richard Seymour.

Hill is going to be Megatron.

Davis is like Ray Lewis.

All before they even play a down.[/QUOTE]

Well they're sure not going to be after that first down, so we can hope now, right?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4460655] As long as the Jets win games, he can talk till the cows come home.[/QUOTE]

He will as to the latter. The former? Man I hope so.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4460667]Rex has certainly had his humbling moments concerning things he has said over the past few seasons, but, I certainly trust his assessment of defensive players.

And the remarks that Davis could be the "steal of the draft" were not made directly by Rex.

If you read the article, it was said that [B]that was the feeling within the organization [/B]and I would say that "the organization" definitely encompasses more then just Rex's opinion.[/QUOTE]

Today the media was on Rex for sitting Coples that it may hurt his feelings or the staff doesn't think that highly of him.. Rex can't win, he said I know what Coples can do we took him in the first but I'm trying to evaluate the UDFA's because for many this may be their only shot..

+1