Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty high praise for Demario Davis....."Steal of the draft"

Hall Of Fame
    Rex really needs to learn the art of saying less.

If any of this is true then we will get to see it in the field or at least in practice when all the real players are present. As others have mentioned Rex really does not have a very high reliability index on these kinds of things. In fact he has pretty much been full of sh1t on these kinds of public statements.

I am as hopeful as the next guy about our picks but c'mon now.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460860]How is that negative?

Rex and Clink have compared all of those rookie players to the players I listed. That is a fact.

The rookies have not played a down in the NFL That is a fact.

Go back to sleep. When you awake I am sure there will be some more Kool-Aid for you to drink.[/QUOTE]

Rex and the JETS were exposed last season for being more talk than action. Head scratching decisions and moments like making Holmes captain, threatening to sit Sanchez for Brunell, continuing to praise Hunter and Smith, claiming that the wildcat is a legit nfl offense, and learning that the HC doesnt attend offensive meetings, are just a handful of examples that make me skeptical that anything out of Rex Ryan's mouth is believable.

Claiming that any draft pick is comparable to Rey Lewis, Megatron, and Seymour before one real practice just adds to the laughing stock image that the JETS are welcoming.

I cant imagine what legit, no nonsense NFL players like Mangold, D'Brick, Moore, and Harris really feel when they hear all this praise going to guys who havent proven a thing when they continue to go about their business with a quiet, confident, hard working way.

Rex is raising the bar for these guys to the point that people are going to **** all over them if they get off to slow starts, which would be completely understandable for rookies.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4460870]Rex is raising the bar for these guys to the point that people are going to **** all over them if they get off to slow starts, which would be completely understandable for rookies.[/QUOTE]

You're right.

I have not seen one other coach or team do this with as much regularity as Rex.

I am happy with out top three picks and think they will be all good players for us, but this is all unnecessary. All he is doing is putting a target on them. Just like he does with the team.

If he wants to praise them a little then fine. But stop with the comparisons and realize that it is not necessary to boast for them every single day. I wish Rex would use a little discretion every now and then, but I do not think he knows what that is.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4460850]I don't care what any Mediot says, though at least Mayock works at it. Listen to what BB says, and all he says is that he will see how things work out in TC. He hasn't anointed any starters, and hasn't compared his draft picks to HOFers...and he won't

BTW- Mayock never compared Jones to Taylor. He just said he thought that 3 years from now Jones might be deemed the best defensive player to come out of this draft. Right now all he is an very interesting bottom third of the first round prospect. I have great hopes, but lower expectations.

All I know right now is that the offense should be just as good and the defense should be better......and that's a good start[/QUOTE]

Go look at the draft tape again and you'll here it from his lips to Gods ears.

I never said that Jones will not be a good player. In fact I think he'll be a stud in a couple of years. But god forbid the head coach should say something positive about their own players. Let's have a fan from a rivalry team go onto the opposing teams website and post how ridiculous it is to compare players and put that much pressure on a rookie.

Yes we get it, Bellichick has won 3 Super Bowls. He's a great coach, but to be honest, I wouldn't want that asshoIe as the coach of the Jets right now. 7 years ago, maybe, but right now he's not ****.

What? You gonna tell me on a Jets website I'm wrong :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4460896]Go look at the draft tape again and you'll here it from his lips to Gods ears.

I never said that Jones will not be a good player. In fact I think he'll be a stud in a couple of years. But god forbid the head coach should say something positive about their own players. Let's have a fan from a rivalry team go onto the opposing teams website and post how ridiculous it is to compare players and put that much pressure on a rookie.

Yes we get it, Bellichick has won 3 Super Bowls. He's a great coach, but to be honest, I wouldn't want that asshoIe as the coach of the Jets right now. 7 years ago, maybe, but right now he's not ****.

What? You gonna tell me on a Jets website I'm wrong :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Let the Pats keep Jones.

I'm happy with Coples our own Super Mario

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460873]You're right.

I have not seen one other coach or team do this with as much regularity as Rex.

I am happy with out top three picks and think they will be all good players for us, but this is all unnecessary. All he is doing is putting a target on them. Just like he does with the team.

If he wants to praise them a little then fine. But stop with the comparisons and realize that it is not necessary to boast for them every single day. I wish Rex would use a little discretion every now and then, but I do not think he knows what that is.[/QUOTE]

This

When the JETS (or any of my teams) change coaches I am usually looking for excuses to keep them because my occupation relates. I am a teacher and coach at the high school/junior high school level. I have had years with success and other years with losing records. I have been surrounded or coached against some of the most legendary high school coaches that NYC has to offer. Basically what I am saying is that I have a lot of experience of seeing what works and what doesnt. What approaches have the most success and the least. Again, I am very "pro" coach and usually look for every excuse to not fire. With that said, I believe Rex cannot have success over the long haul with his current approach. To be a successful HC on any level you have to be extremely careful with your words for the sake of the entire team. When the team feels that certain players get special treatment it is a recipe for disaster. This make coach professionally so difficult. IMHO, Rex is currently doing the direct opposite. Again, if you were the "meat and potatoes" part of this team, Mangold, Sean Green, D'Brick, Harris, Devito, and Sanchez, how would you feel about what you observe when your HC gushes about players that havent earned a thing at the NFL level?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4460906]This

When the JETS (or any of my teams) change coaches I am usually looking for excuses to keep them because my occupation relates. I am a teacher and coach at the high school/junior high school level. I have had years with success and other years with losing records. I have been surrounded or coached against some of the most legendary high school coaches that NYC has to offer. Basically what I am saying is that I have a lot of experience of seeing what works and what doesnt. What approaches have the most success and the least. Again, I am very "pro" coach and usually look for every excuse to not fire. With that said, I believe Rex cannot have success over the long haul with his current approach. To be a successful HC on any level you have to be extremely careful with your words for the sake of the entire team. When the team feels that certain players get special treatment it is a recipe for disaster. This make coach professionally so difficult. IMHO, Rex is currently doing the direct opposite. Again, if you were the "meat and potatoes" part of this team, Mangold, Sean Green, D'Brick, Harris, Devito, and Sanchez, how would you feel about what you observe when your HC gushes about players that havent earned a thing at the NFL level?[/QUOTE]

To compare the NFL with high school athletics is rather idiotic. Among the fraternity of high caliber veteran players on the Jets that you mention, I would venture that not one is either offended or hurt by Rex's warm welcome of his new rookie toys. Rex has been effusive on their behalf as well and they are proven stars. I think your high dudgeon with Rex and the F.O. has gotten terribly old and misguided. This will be a dynamic team and exciting to watch. Rex has calmed down considerably as he gains experience as a head coach, but he will still be who he is. Personally, I have no problem at all with his enthusiasm. It's why the players genuinely like him.

Hall Of Fame
    I can't believe this thread.

OMG!!! Rex said something positive about our draft picks!!!! He'll never be a good coach!!!! He's delusional!!!!

I suppose Rex coming out and saying everybody stinks and we'll be lucky to win a single game this season would make everybody happy. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4460908]To compare the NFL with high school athletics is rather idiotic.[/QUOTE]
    you forgot "myopic", "simplistic", and "flat-out-wrong".

Jets Insider VIP
    Poor dramaqueen-icus

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;4460911]I can't believe this thread.

OMG!!! Rex said something positive about our draft picks!!!! He'll never be a good coach!!!! He's delusional!!!!

I suppose Rex coming out and saying everybody stinks and we'll be lucky to win a single game this season would make everybody happy. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Interestingly...the "OTHER TEAM in our stadium", who experts gave draft grades of A and B have said NOTHING. 4 Superbowls, 2 in the last 4 years and have said NOTHING. All experts agree their draft was superior to ours. Personally, I liked our draft but......

Yeah..... REX has got the keys to the winning formula. His average wins is 9.3 as a head coach and he never attends offensive meetings. BUT he is the voice of reason????

I'm all out of kool aid, personally. Waiting for a real drink.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-06-2012 at 08:42 AM.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4460806]This is nothing but Rex making sure everyone is looking at HIM. Rex seeking the spotlight by writing checks his player have to cash. First Coples was Peppers, then Hill was Megatron, now Davis is Ray Lewis. All after one day in shorts and t-shirts.....BRILLIANT :rolleyes:

Why can't he simply say something like, "everyone is working, and we are looking forward to seeing how all that effort translates to the field when we get to camp." Instead the media whore anoints Coples and Hill immediate starters and saddles a small school player with HOF expectations :rolleyes:

Rex might know about defense and he media , but he didn't know his locker room, or team chemistry. Ultimately his career at ESPN will be a lot longer and more successful than his tenure with the Jets.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

You Patriot trolls are the worst

It has NOTHING to do with spotlight, where the hell does this line of crap come from?

If you pay attention, Rex rarely brings actual details of his practices, he KNOWS his press conferences are a dog and pony show for the media, and this is his way of having fun with THEM, he realizes what the media is doing, and the clowns covering the Jets, and the NY media in general are the worst, he knows this, and this is his way of dealing with it.

Rex isn't Belichick, so no, he shouldn't be just like Belichick

You're interpretation of the rookies is just the worst, the same braindead crap we've become used to from you and the majority of you insecure tools.

Your superiority complexes are so great, now we have you clowns lecturing Jets fans, on a Jets board about how Rex should be, and that he should be more like Belichick :rolleyes:

GFY

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4460919]Interestingly...the "OTHER TEAM", who experts gave draft grades of A and B have said NOTHING. 4 Superbowls, 2 in the last 4 years and have said NOTHING. All experts agree their draft was superior to ours. Personally, I liked our draft but......

Yeah..... REX has got the keys to the winning formula. His average wins is 9.3 as a head coach and he never attends offensive meetings. BUT he is the voice of reason????

I'm all out of kool aid, personally. Waiting for a real drink.[/QUOTE]

Let's be fair at least. The Pats had two first round picks and how many in the first four rounds? Yet I think the Jets actually picked smarter overall, regardless of the pundits, who are inevitably way off base but seem very smart before a single snap has taken place. BB and Rex are diametrical opposites as personalities. He is who he is. I think he's learned and matured as a result of the mess last year, for which he does own principal responsibility as the head coach. Fair criticism in that and fair to have a wait and see attitude. That's light years away from trashing the coach of F.O. at every opportunity for every decision. Copernicus has become the Rasputin of Jets Insider. Can we be allowed cautious optimism for the coming year? Is that really so terrible?

[QUOTE=EM31;4460866]Rex really needs to learn the art of saying less.

If any of this is true then we will get to see it in the field or at least in practice when all the real players are present. As others have mentioned Rex really does not have a very high reliability index on these kinds of things. In fact he has pretty much been full of sh1t on these kinds of public statements.

I am as hopeful as the next guy about our picks but c'mon now.[/QUOTE]

Why, to appease our overly insecure rival fans who post here?

To appease the overly sensitive chicken littles of the Jets fanbase?

It's a spring press conference, Rex knows the media are digging for everything, who really gives a **** what he say's? As much as the media is looking to create controversy, Rex is looking to **** with the media.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460713]Coples is a young Richard Seymour.

Hill is going to be Megatron.

Davis is like Ray Lewis.

All before they even play a down.[/QUOTE]

The Coples to Seymour comparison is wrong, Wilkerson is more like Seymour. Coples is closer to Peppers and JPP than Seymour, in terms of body type and ability. Now, let's see what happens at the NFL level.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4460925]Let's be fair at least. The Pats had two first round picks and how many in the first four rounds? Yet I think the Jets actually picked smarter overall, regardless of the pundits, who are inevitably way off base but seem very smart before a single snap has taken place. BB and Rex are diametrical opposites as personalities. He is who he is. I think he's learned and matured as a result of the mess last year, for which he does own principal responsibility as the head coach. Fair criticism in that and fair to have a wait and see attitude. That's light years away from trashing the coach of F.O. at every opportunity for every decision. Copernicus has become the Rasputin of Jets Insider. Can we be allowed cautious optimism for the coming year? Is that really so terrible?[/QUOTE]

I was referring to big blue..... 2 SB's in last 4 years. I have since edited my post to avoid confusion. Like I said..Ill wait and see, for me, living in NC and wearing a JETS hat everyday when I play golf, JETS shirts etc... I am constantly peppered with questions. I am becoming somewhat embarrassed by "SOME" of Rex's behavior.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4460926]Why, to appease our overly insecure rival fans who post here?

To appease the overly sensitive chicken littles of the Jets fanbase?

It's a spring press conference, Rex knows the media are digging for everything, who really gives a **** what he say's? As much as the media is looking to create controversy, Rex is looking to **** with the media.[/QUOTE]

He should stand at the podium with all of of his SB rings and a big sign that says I have 9.3 wins on average and have never attended an offensive meeting. LISTEN TO ME!

[QUOTE=copernicus;4460858]Rex continues to make himself and the JETS look foolish. Knowledgeable fans would question:

Is Rex Ryan evaluating the leadership skills of Davis the same way he evaluated the leadership skills of Santonio Holmes before he made him captain?[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Singing the virtues of his recent draft crop does not make Rex, or any other coach, look foolish. The only people who look foolish are those that blow it out of proportion and misread the comments. Nothing wrong with the coach having unbridled optimism about his new players and the coming year and expressing that publicly. You'd think by now that people would have figured Rex out when it comes to this. 95% of what Rex says publicly is useless. But that doesn't make him a bad HC. Where some other coaches engage giving the press terse, non disclosing useless statements or even mumbling in front of the mike, Rex elects to engage in verbal diarrea, also useless. When are you guys going to understand this? It's all part of the game these days.

And btw, those killing Rex in this thread, Jets fan or Pats fan, watch the damn press conferences at nyjets.com, the media has clearly spun what Rex said, and have neglected to include the quotes where he say's, that while the players show a little bit of "player A" or "player B" that he had with the Ravens, he also goes out of his way to suggest that he isn't saying these players are them, just that they have some of those characteristics as he's now seeing them for the first time.

There is nothing wrong with what he said, and he isn't saying any of these players are the next anything. As usual, the media takes what he say's, out of context, to get a response. Well done, you've all bought in hook line and sinker with the media bull****, once again. :rolleyes: