Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your preference: Coples or C Jones?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

What was your preference: Coples or C Jones?

Apparently Chandler Jones expected the Jets to take him at 16 (see article below). At the time, I probably would have been more satisfied with Jones as the pick, but the Coples pick is starting to make more sense so I'm fine with it.

I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts are -- Coples or Jones?

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12330/chandler-jones-expected-jets-to-pick-him[/url]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Between those two its not even close Coples all day long. I don't see it with Jones at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    never even thought of Jones as a pick @ 16. I think there were a lot better picks then Jones when it came to 16 and I think the JETS made the right call. He(Coples) may never be anything but he was the obvious choice.He shouldn't have still been on the board, IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... expect to be in a big minority with jones ...

... QC in a landslide :cool: ...

(would have been happy with ingram at that time ... if i remember correctly i'd say there may have been more support for him than QC back then ... happy with the choice now though :) )

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples by a landslide.

I never really thought Jones was an option at 16, to be honest.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted Ingram, but perfectly happy with Coples who has great talent. Hated the Jones rumors, I would have despised that pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mrcoops;4460691]Wanted Ingram, but perfectly happy with Coples who has great talent. Hated the Jones rumors, I would have despised that pick.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my feelings.

Jones is a huge project IMO, his measurables and production are just alright. A LOT has to fall into place for him to be a great player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping they would pick Ingram, but I definitely prefer Coples to Jones. I guess that time will tell.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples was ranked in the top 10 for two seasons

Jones was considered a third-fourth rounder until he Gholstoned the heck out of the combine. By draft day he had risen all the way up to a mid second round pick

which is where he probably should have been drafted

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples, Ingram, DeCastro. in that order as no. 16.. I really liked the kid from USC in 20's along with Chandler..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    honestly, I always preferred Coples. So I was happy with the pick. I'm amazed that analysts lean so heavily on the senior year slack off issue given the situation. It's as if they can't process context at all. Coples has clearly demonstrated that his ceiling is extraordinarily high.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jones's production was fairly unimpressive in a fairly weak conference. The Jets made the right call. But I'd be willing to bet that the same people who are calling Belichick a genius for drafting Jones would be killing the Jets for drafting a guy with his limited production in college.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure he will be thinking about this as he lines up across from the turnstile.

They probably thought Coples was going to be gone by 16. So they were probably planning on taking Jones.

Makes you wonder where they had Ingram rated. :confused:
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched both Jones and Coples a ton in college and Jones was not nearly the player that Coples was. The only question with Coples was his lackluster play due to odd circumstances at UNC. Jones may be good, but Coples has far more upside.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples easy. I was happy with Coples over Ingram, and it was no question over Jones.

Coples is a more complete player then Jones, and should be able to provide pass rush from multiple spots in the D.

Coples also plays with a mean streak, which I want out of any lineman, especially after seeing Gholston. I didn't see that out of Ingram, and don't know about Jones, but I'm glad Coples has it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460711]I am sure he will be thinking about this as he lines up across from the turnstile.

They probably thought Coples was going to be gone by 16. So they were probably planning on taking Jones.

Makes you wonder where they had Ingram rated. :confused:[/QUOTE]

They had a late 1st round grade on Ingram.

To answer the OP. I was praying that we didn't take Jones. I don't see anything that is spectacular about him. I'm actually glad that he wound up on the Patriots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jones is not even a pimple on Cople's butt. Look at his paltry production at Syracuse. Dude soared up the charts in the week before the draft right after Mayock proclaimed him to be the future best passes rusher in the NFL. But in Mayock's own words, we won't see that for 2-3 years. LOL. Jones has done nothing to earn his way overrated draft status.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not that the mock "genius's" are that smart a lot had Coples in the top 10, and rarely below 16. Jones was in the 20's or early second round don't remember seeing any higher then 16. Only because NE chose him did the love get so much into play. I don't take the BS position if NE took he must be good. The Jets debate should not be Coples vs Jones but it should be Couples vs Ingram. I trust Rex & Mr T. knowledge over the media so I will agree with Coples over Ingram.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So Rex comes out and says that they had Coples and Hill at the top of their board and Cimini takes that as the Jets were contemplating taking Jones with the pick. What the hell, his agent says they called him. That's enough for me.

Then just for added giggles he adds that the guy we said we wanted 2 years ago may not be the one we really wanted.

What the hell, as long as no one knows if it's true or not just throw this sh1t out there and hope it stirs it up a little.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4460753]So Rex comes out and says that they had Coples and Hill at the top of their board and Cimini takes that as the Jets were contemplating taking Jones with the pick. What the hell, his agent says they called him. That's enough for me.

Then just for added giggles he adds that the guy we said we wanted 2 years ago may not be the one we really wanted.

What the hell, as long as no one knows if it's true or not just throw this sh1t out there and hope it stirs it up a little.[/QUOTE]

I was on the fence about the Coples pick until I read about UNCs staff turmoil last year. I think this kid is going to beast out this year.