Thread: New Story: Hayden Smith: Separate but Equal

New Story: Hayden Smith: Separate but Equal

As a former Aussie-rules rugby star, Hayden Smith is not your typical tight end. At 27, he's not even your typical rookie. In a new country learning the nuances of a new sport, it's Smith's abnormal path to the NFL that may separate him from the current class of incumbent rookies.

Separated is one way to describe Smith early in his Jets career. Unlike his peers, who gathered at the Jets' practice facility in Florham Park, NJ for their rookie camp seminar this weekend, Smith is still learning the basics of a game that, for many, have been a part of...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/wesley_sykes/?p=1560]More...[/url]

Great story on my new favorite Jet. With all the rules on how many practices and how many contact sessions, are players able to still go out and hit at private camps like the one holMEs was at? Seems like the kind of guy that would be doing that if he could.

Let's not get our hopes up with this guy.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4460767]Let's not get our hopes up with this guy.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, I got a good feeling about this guy.

Lets be honest, nearly anyone is an upgrade over Mulligan. All you have to do is know the snap count and you are ahead of Mulligan.

Veteran
    Umm the article says Cumberland is the opposite of Keller in terms of being athletic over being a blocker but thats not true. Cumberland is a converted receiver who's big draw is athleticism and speed.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460770]Believe it or not, I got a good feeling about this guy.

Lets be honest, nearly anyone is an upgrade over Mulligan. All you have to do is know the snap count and you are ahead of Mulligan.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, the more I re-watch the 2011 season the weirder it seems. I'm up to game 6 and Mulligan and even Hunter get praised for great blocking by the announcers several times a game. Guess I'll learn more as I keep going but it's just bizarre how we seemed to fall apart later in the season.:huh:

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4460765]Great story on my new favorite Jet. With all the rules on how many practices and how many contact sessions, are players able to still go out and hit at private camps like the one holMEs was at? Seems like the kind of guy that would be doing that if he could.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that as far as the CBA is concerned, players can do just about anything that they want. It's the teams and the coaches that have restrictions placed on them.

One thing to consider though is that teams themselves might contractually forbid their players from hitting at private camps, as it could lead to injuries. Don't know the answer to that one.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4460868]Ya know, the more I re-watch the 2011 season the weirder it seems. I'm up to game 6 and Mulligan and even Hunter get praised for great blocking by the announcers several times a game. Guess I'll learn more as I keep going but it's just bizarre how we seemed to fall apart later in the season.:huh:[/QUOTE]

I know Hunter did get some praise in the middle of the season. He did well from like Week 3-6, but then he regressed mightily. I don't recall Mulligan playing well ever, so what you said is a surprise to me.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4460875]I know Hunter did get some praise in the middle of the season. He did well from like Week 3-6, but then he regressed mightily. I don't recall Mulligan playing well ever, so what you said is a surprise to me.[/QUOTE]

49ers and Phins games there are several comments about Mulligan's great blocks. I'm watching NFL rewind so I'm sure I could record some of the moments. Just need to find the time.

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4460871]My understanding is that as far as the CBA is concerned, players can do just about anything that they want. It's the teams and the coaches that have restrictions placed on them.

One thing to consider though is that teams themselves might contractually forbid their players from hitting at private camps, as it could lead to injuries. Don't know the answer to that one.[/QUOTE]

Good point on the potential injuries, but you'd think the FO would turn a blind eye to Hunter, Ducasse and even Hayden doing everything possible to get ready. 4 months is not a lot of time left!

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4460878]Good point on the potential injuries, but you'd think the FO would turn a blind eye to Hunter, Ducasse and even Hayden doing everything possible to get ready. 4 months is not a lot of time left![/QUOTE]

Well, even if they didn't turn a blind eye, the three you mentioned could still benefit from working on technique in no or very light contact drills. Hayden (and Hill) could work with a receiver coach on fundamentals.