Thread: Training Camp Battles

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Training Camp Battles

With all the talk of Hill and Demario being "steals" of the draft, its interesting to see that this is the first time that we actually have a LOT of positional battles to watch in training camp.

Going into previous seasons we have been set almost across the board with the exception of a small eric smith/pool safety battle and the extremely poor hunter/ducasse and slauson/ducasse "competitions"....this year we have an opportunity to change that and set a tone in Training Camp. Accountability was a huge issue with this team last year and more competition within the roster can definitely help in that area...

RB: Open competition between McKnight and Greene for the starters job and Gannaway and Powell for the 3rd job, and potentially a roster spot. Gannaway supposedly looked good catching the ball the past 2 days which would be a nice addition to his bruising style.

RT: Hunter/Ducasse/Austin Howard. - This is a poor group, but hopefully it will make Hunter improve and I don't see Ducasse winning this spot. Howard is the wild card, definitely has the size and hopefully had a full year here to work on technique....could be an interesting player to watch.

WR: How many will we keep? If its 5, Turner, Chaz, and Jordan White have to battle for the last spot. I definitely see hill as the starter opposite Holmes.

Safety/Defensive Back: Revis, Cro, Wilson, and Landry all make the team, but who else is in the rotation. I hope we bring back Leonhard, but make him beat out Antonio Allen (I think he definitely makes the team), Josh Bush, Strickland, and whoever else. Plus Drew Coleman is available and apparently we already contacted him.

ILB: Bart is on his last legs, literally and figuratively and Bellore has some upside. More importantly, although he lacks big time college experience, Demario Davis has the speed that we desperately need on the field on early downs. This is more of a team motivation tactic IMO, but Rex should make it very clear that the best player in TC wins the starting ILB spot here....make a statement and see if it can eek out 1 more season of top production from Bart. I personally hope that Demario wins the job....we need speed out there more then anything and he brings that.

OLB: I am actually in the camp of keeping maybin as a situational pass rusher. He is still VERY young and we have 2 capable players in pace and thomas to play OLB. Id rather allow him to develop slowly at OLB, stay fresh as an edge rusher, and hopefully put on the 12 lbs we need him to, to be a starter in 2013.

DE: This is the most important spot that Rex can create competition. Yes we will have multiple formations and yes all the guys will play, but if there was any player that needed a tough, summer competition vs a hard worker like Devito, its Coples. Handing him a starting job would be a HUGE mistake IMO. We know our future lies in Wilkerson and Coples on the ends, but that doesn't have to be the case in 2012 and make Coples earn it vs one of the most respected veterans on the team. And while we are at it, I hope the vets make coples carry their equipment and buy breakfast as much as possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4460972]With all the talk of Hill and Demario being "steals" of the draft, its interesting to see that this is the first time that we actually have a LOT of positional battles to watch in training camp.

Going into previous seasons we have been set almost across the board with the exception of a small eric smith/pool safety battle and the extremely poor hunter/ducasse and slauson/ducasse "competitions"....this year we have an opportunity to change that and set a tone in Training Camp. Accountability was a huge issue with this team last year and more competition within the roster can definitely help in that area...

RB: Open competition between McKnight and Greene for the starters job and Gannaway and Powell for the 3rd job, and potentially a roster spot. Gannaway supposedly looked good catching the ball the past 2 days which would be a nice addition to his bruising style.

RT: Hunter/Ducasse/Austin Howard. - This is a poor group, but hopefully it will make Hunter improve and I don't see Ducasse winning this spot. Howard is the wild card, definitely has the size and hopefully had a full year here to work on technique....could be an interesting player to watch.

WR: How many will we keep? If its 5, Turner, Chaz, and Jordan White have to battle for the last spot. I definitely see hill as the starter opposite Holmes.

Safety/Defensive Back: Revis, Cro, Wilson, and Landry all make the team, but who else is in the rotation. I hope we bring back Leonhard, but make him beat out Antonio Allen (I think he definitely makes the team), Josh Bush, Strickland, and whoever else. Plus Drew Coleman is available and apparently we already contacted him.

ILB: Bart is on his last legs, literally and figuratively and Bellore has some upside. More importantly, although he lacks big time college experience, Demario Davis has the speed that we desperately need on the field on early downs. This is more of a team motivation tactic IMO, but Rex should make it very clear that the best player in TC wins the starting ILB spot here....make a statement and see if it can eek out 1 more season of top production from Bart. I personally hope that Demario wins the job....we need speed out there more then anything and he brings that.

OLB: I am actually in the camp of keeping maybin as a situational pass rusher. He is still VERY young and we have 2 capable players in pace and thomas to play OLB. Id rather allow him to develop slowly at OLB, stay fresh as an edge rusher, and hopefully put on the 12 lbs we need him to, to be a starter in 2013.

DE: This is the most important spot that Rex can create competition. Yes we will have multiple formations and yes all the guys will play, but if there was any player that needed a tough, summer competition vs a hard worker like Devito, its Coples. Handing him a starting job would be a HUGE mistake IMO. We know our future lies in Wilkerson and Coples on the ends, but that doesn't have to be the case in 2012 and make Coples earn it vs one of the most respected veterans on the team. And while we are at it, I hope the vets make coples carry their equipment and buy breakfast as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

Please help us understand what you know about AUSTIN HOWARD and VLAD. You label both as being in the" poor group". You must have inside information for such a statement to be made Perhaps neither has shown anything ? What say you? I am also wondering if you forgot to mention that BRICK allowed more sacks and pressures then Hunter last year. Possibly maybe the whole OL had a poor year and not just Hunter. Personally I thought that Moore was a liaqbility to Hunter early on in the season but that he did come on a bit towards the end of the season. With no legitimate OLman to call plays when NICK went down, maybe the OL might have the capability of bouncing back in a big way this yearas they do have depth now. What does the inside information say about that ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4460994]Please help us understand what you know about AUSTIN HOWARD and VLAD. You label both as being in the" poor group". You must have inside information for such a statement to be made Perhaps neither has shown anything ? What say you? I am also wondering if you forgot to mention that BRICK allowed more sacks and pressures then Hunter last year. Possibly maybe the whole OL had a poor year and not just Hunter. Personally I thought that Moore was a liaqbility to Hunter early on in the season but that he did come on a bit towards the end of the season. With no legitimate OLman to call plays when NICK went down, maybe the OL might have the capability of bouncing back in a big way this yearas they do have depth now. What does the inside information say about that ?[/QUOTE]

Howard is in the POOR group because in his whole career, he is still on an NFL practice squad. Vlad is in the POOR group because after being a 2nd round pick, he also hasn't been able to contribute at all in his 2 seasons. While it takes time to develop, clearly players like slauson show it more early on. Is the jury closed on Vlad, no, but the odds of him suddenly becoming a solid player are not good. Howard has more potential, but also just doesn't have much of a resume.

As for the line as a whole....i agree it was a collectively poor season. I have no issues with Brick at all and also can attribute a lot of hunters struggles with a lack of schematic and TE help. I do think they will bounce back as a group, but that has nothing to do with the team having an open competition for the RT spot

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4460999]Howard is in the POOR group because in his whole career, he is still on an NFL practice squad. Vlad is in the POOR group because after being a 2nd round pick, he also hasn't been able to contribute at all in his 2 seasons. While it takes time to develop, clearly players like slauson show it more early on. Is the jury closed on Vlad, no, but the odds of him suddenly becoming a solid player are not good. Howard has more potential, but also just doesn't have much of a resume.

As for the line as a whole....i agree it was a collectively poor season. I have no issues with Brick at all and also can attribute a lot of hunters struggles with a lack of schematic and TE help. I do think they will bounce back as a group, but that has nothing to do with the team having an open competition for the RT spot[/QUOTE]

We also have Robert Griffin whom the Jets drafted as well who has the size but is very raw and has stated that he is most comfortable at Guard and Caleb Schaulderaff who the Jets traded for last season - also listed at Guard....

That being said, I still expect the Jets to add an experienced veteran O-Tackle after August cuts.....of course I said that last year too and it never happened, so, hopefully the Jets learned from their mistakes.

Also keep an eye out for Ricky Sapp (as a sleeper/dark horse) in the OLB'er position battle....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.