Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: The Wayne Hunter gamble

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Sunday notes: The Wayne Hunter gamble

Notes and observations on the Jets and the NFL:

[B]1. IN TONY WE TRUST[/B]: The Jets are taking an enormous gamble, opting to stand pat at the right-tackle position. If [B]Vladimir Ducasse[/B] doesn't step up, they'll go with the embattled [B]Wayne Hunter[/B], much to the chagrin of Jets fans. Suddenly, we're starting to hear stuff from [B]Rex Ryan[/B] about [B]Tony Sparano's[/B] system, how it will suit Hunter better than the previous system. In a radio interview last week, Ryan said Hunter was "isolated, one-on-one, for the majority of the time (last season) and I donít know how many tackles hold up down after down that way." Two thoughts: If Sparano's system can protect suspect right tackles, how come [B]Marco Columbo[/B] was a turnstile for the Dolphins? Didn't Ryan always praise [B]Bill Callahan[/B] as the best OL coach in the league?

[B]2. SLIM PICKINGS[/B]: One well-respected scout told me there were only two legitimate defensive ends in the draft -- [B]Quinton Coples[/B] (Jets, 16th pick) and [B]Chandler Jones [/B](Patriots, 21st). The scout said highly-publicized 'tweeners [B]Melvin Ingram[/B] (18th, Chargers) and [B]Courtney Upshaw[/B] (35th, Ravens) were too short and too short-armed to be effecive pass rushers, and that they were overvalued because of the paucity of true DEs. Obviously, the Jets felt the same way.

[B]3. LUCKY BREAK[/B]: Contrary to a report, the Jets had no interest in taking West Virginia DE/OLB [B]Bruce Irvin[/B] with the 16th pick -- so they claim. You'd like to believe them because, despite tremendous speed-rushing ability, Irvin is a bit of a head case. An opposing scout, pulling information from his team's report on Irvin, said the player refused an opportunity to become a full-time starter (he started six games last season). According to the scout, Irvin basically told his coach, "I don't want to start, I just want to rush the passer." The Seahawks took him with the 15th pick. Said the scout: "[B]Pete Carroll [/B]may have done the Jets a favor."

[B]4. BOY AMONG MEN[/B]: Coples discovered at an early age what it's like to play against the big boys. He attended Hargrave Military School in Chatham, Va., and played on their post-graduate football team -- at the age of 17. "He was playing against 21-year-old men," said Hargrave coach [B]Troy Davis[/B], who served as Coples' defensive coordinator. "He grew up real fast and it fueled his confidence." Coples and current teammate [B]Muhammad Wilkerson[/B] were the starting DEs for Hargrave in 2007, but they didn't go undefeated. They lost to the University of Tennessee jayvee team.

[B]5. NEW-AGE JETS[/B]: Defensive coordinator [B]Mike Pettine[/B], discussing why the Jets placed an emphasis on speed in the draft, made an interesting point. To build a defense in today's pass-happy NFL, he said, "You have to work backward," starting with your third-down package. In other words, get pass rushers and coverage people. It makes perfect sense, except for this quirky stat: Opponents threw against the Jets a lot less last season than 2010. The percentage of pass plays was 54.6, down from 58.3.

[B]6. MORE MAYHEM[/B]: OLB [B]Aaron Maybin[/B] said he's up to 240, having gained eight pounds in the offseason. He'd like to put on a few more pounds, with the hope of increasing his role on defense. He'd like to find a niche in the base package. The Jets could use him because they're awfully thin at OLB.

[B]7. FREE-AGENT SIGNING OF THE YEAR[/B]: Kudos to [B]Greg Schiano[/B] and the Bucs for signing former Rutgers DL [B]Eric LeGrand[/B]. They did it right, even distributing a press release that included his college stats. How can that not put a lump on your throat?

[B]8. SPYGATE[/B]: Former Jets coach [B]Eric Mangini[/B], now an ESPN analyst, said on the air last week that he regrets blowing the whistle on the Patriots for their illegal videotaping in 2007. "If there's a decision I could take back, it's easily that decision," he said. "Never in a million years I wanted it to go this way." It ruined his relationship with [B]Bill Belichick[/B]. If that hadn't occurred, he'd probably be the Patriots' defensive coordinator.

[B]9. BOUNTY GATE[/B]: I think NFL commissioner [B]Roger Goodell[/B] came down too hard on [B]Jonathan Vilma[/B]. He penalized the soldier as harshly as the generals.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12323/sunday-notes-the-wayne-hunter-gamble?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is now two articles in the past month or so that weren't terrible.

Have to be fair and give praise when it is deserved.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hate Cimini all you want for stirring up negativity, but #1 is right on.

It's amazing how people talk about Sparano and his OL coach from Miami being the cure for the RT problems, when Miami had by far a much worse OL than the Jets last year (and all the years before that) - maybe the worst in the league. Somehow he's gonna do what Callahan couldn't? Not likely.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;4461027]Hate Cimini all you want for stirring up negativity, but #1 is right on.

It's amazing how people talk about Sparano and his OL coach from Miami being the cure for the RT problems, when Miami had by far a much worse OL than the Jets last year (and all the years before that) - maybe the worst in the league. Somehow he's gonna do what Callahan couldn't? Not likely.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is the #1 question to be answered. If Sparano fails, then the Jets are in deep #!$%.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it articles like this that make cimini the talking head he truly is. the stat about teams throwing on the jets less last season than the season before is just so much chaff. you can't judge a trend with only two seasons. so much depends on what the competition is and they play the doltfins twice each season. a large change in a single team will drive that stat one way or another.

what is true is that schitty's offense was really bad. the way rex operates, it all came from schitty because he tries to let the oc and dc get their parts of the team ready. schitty was too much of a dimwit to realize that maybe hunter needed some blocking help or that some plays were just not going to work with the team's skill set.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;4461027]Hate Cimini all you want for stirring up negativity, but #1 is right on.

It's amazing how people talk about Sparano and his OL coach from Miami being the cure for the RT problems, when Miami had by far a much worse OL than the Jets last year (and all the years before that) - maybe the worst in the league. Somehow he's gonna do what Callahan couldn't? Not likely.[/QUOTE]

I really hope Vlad figures out a way to play RT this season, that's what he was drafted for in the first place.

I can't stand the thought of another year of sh_tty-grinning, drive-killing Hunter at RT....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4460981]Notes and observations on the Jets and the NFL:

[B]1. IN TONY WE TRUST[/B]: The Jets are taking an enormous gamble, opting to stand pat at the right-tackle position. If [B]Vladimir Ducasse[/B] doesn't step up, they'll go with the embattled [B]Wayne Hunter[/B], much to the chagrin of Jets fans. Suddenly, we're starting to hear stuff from [B]Rex Ryan[/B] about [B]Tony Sparano's[/B] system, how it will suit Hunter better than the previous system. [COLOR="Red"]In a radio interview last week, Ryan said Hunter was "isolated, one-on-one, for the majority of the time (last season)[/COLOR] and I don’t know how many tackles hold up down after down that way." Two thoughts: If Sparano's system can protect suspect right tackles, how come [B]Marco Columbo[/B] was a turnstile for the Dolphins? Didn't Ryan always praise [B]Bill Callahan[/B] as the best OL coach in the league?

[/QUOTE]

Fixing the red will be the difference. Schitthead was so fn' stubborn. The Jets got much better on offense just by cutting that moron. I felt all along their was a good chance Hunter would remain the starter. He could be serviceable if the OC provides him help when necessary. Scharty sucks.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 05-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I understand it sounds good, but it really doesn't make sense. He didn't say Columbo fit this offense better. You can't protect everyone, and the rest of the Jets line is better than the fins. He didn't say Calahan didn't teach them well, he said Hunter was left on an island, and Callahan didn't call the pass protection schemes as far as I know. He also didn't say the Jets were going to run the offense the same as they did in Miami last year. I hope we find someone to replace Hunter, but Cimini is still talking out his arse

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    when he sticks to articles like this, just giving us the facts with some opinion and leaves out the "world is ending/negative nancy" stuff, he's really good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4461006]I think this is now two articles in the past month or so that weren't terrible.

Have to be fair and give praise when it is deserved.[/QUOTE]

Lol, exactly. He's still a POS and I can't wait for the day he's taken off the beat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The offense operated in a odd way last year. The O-line ysed Callahans schemes in the run game and Schottys schemes in the passing game. It was like two seperate offensive lines. Obviously the results were as bad as one would predicted. The O gets a boost just by Schittys departure.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;4461090]Fixing the red will be the difference. Schitthead was so fn' stubborn. The Jets got much better on offense just by cutting that moron. I felt all along their was a good chance Hunter would remain the starter. He could be serviceable if the OC provides him help when necessary. Scharty sucks.[/QUOTE]
    But sparano is a million times worst than Shotty. Sanchez is really going to be hit this year... I could not imagine a worst OC for the Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im thrilled that schotty is gone. But is sparano any better? I do not think anyone knows the answer to that yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4461388]Im thrilled that schotty is gone. But is sparano any better? I do not think anyone knows the answer to that yet.[/QUOTE]

Parcells did "hand pick" him as HC for the Dolphins and he was with him in Dallas.

Thats pretty strong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought #2 was pretty interesting.

[QUOTE]2. SLIM PICKINGS: One well-respected scout told me there were only two legitimate defensive ends in the draft -- Quinton Coples (Jets, 16th pick) and Chandler Jones (Patriots, 21st). The scout said highly-publicized 'tweeners Melvin Ingram (18th, Chargers) and Courtney Upshaw (35th, Ravens) were too short and too short-armed to be effecive pass rushers, and that they were overvalued because of the paucity of true DEs. Obviously, the Jets felt the same way. [/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4460981][B]7. FREE-AGENT SIGNING OF THE YEAR[/B]: Kudos to [B]Greg Schiano[/B] and the Bucs for signing former Rutgers DL [B]Eric LeGrand[/B]. They did it right, even distributing a press release that included his college stats. How can that not put a lump on your throat?

[/QUOTE]

Thats Fantastic.

:cool:

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4461422]Thats Fantastic.

:cool:

-[/QUOTE]

+1

There are still some good people in this world.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like th hiring of bada bing tony soprano...remember Callahan was considered one best OL coaches and vlad and hunter were hot garbage

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4461388]Im thrilled that schotty is gone. But is sparano any better? I do not think anyone knows the answer to that yet.[/QUOTE]

Well we were 27th in offense last year dude, I'd bet the house we don't finish worse than that. Schottenheimer was horrible

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=auctionking;4461378]But sparano is a million times worst than Shotty. [/QUOTE]

Quoted