Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 major concerns/problems

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4461604]Shark99 knows exactly what's going on in this thread. You're all victims of his social experiment.[/QUOTE]

i guess the Holocaust, segregation and slavery were all social experiments also.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4461614]i guess the Holocaust, segregation and slavery were all social experiments also.[/QUOTE]

I dont see any mention of those three in this thread, but sure, bring up some stuff will offend others the same way the idiot OP offended you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4461624]I dont see any mention of those three in this thread, but sure, bring up some stuff will offend others the same way the idiot OP offended you.[/QUOTE]

was trying to make a point. you can call it social experiment, I call it ignorance

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4461614]i guess the Holocaust, segregation and slavery were all social experiments also.[/QUOTE]

What positions do these guys play?

Maybe the India guy can coach them up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4461663]was trying to make a point. you can call it social experiment, I call it ignorance[/QUOTE]

Jeez, there is so much sarcasm that hasn't been received in this stupid thread. I guess everyone should be required to use :rolleyes: from now on.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

john long, jake long.............

[QUOTE=sg3;4461612]Who's John Long?????

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

the left tackle for the dolphins.............

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll tell you what's ****ing long; the goshdamp offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennesawjet;4462416]the left tackle for the dolphins.............[/QUOTE]

That would be "Jake"

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4461328]HAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GTFO.

Seriously.[/QUOTE]

Its Sporano time lets see what you got b/c our OL was very on the rocks and weak last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4461324]The Steelers' defense is actually built on stopping the run, as is the Ravens' defense. Last year, Pittsburgh's run defense was the worst it had been since 2007. Both years they lost in the wildcard round to run first teams, the Jaguars in '07 and the Broncos last year. In both games they allowed more than 130 rushing yards. In 2010, they only allowed more than 75 rushing yards in 2/19 games, and never allowed more than 106 yards (which was against the Jets in week 15).

The Steelers only allowed 3.0 yards per carry in 2010, half a yard better than anyone else in football that year, and a full yard per carry better than the 4.0 that they allowed last year. The effect it had on the game was so pronounced, they faced 50 fewer rushing attempts than anyone else in the league, and more than 100 fewer carries than the league average. Teams simply gave up on trying to run the ball.

That's what Pittsburgh's defense is built on. By the time the 2nd half rolls around, they're only defending the run on 1st down or 2nd/3rd & short. Everything else is a pass, they know it's a pass, and they pin their ears back.

The two games in which they allowed 100 rushing yards in 2010: 1 sack for 0 yards.

The other 14 games: 48 sacks for 319 yards

The playoff game against the Broncos? 0 sacks. And that was playing the most sacked QB in the league (%-wise). They didn't get pressure because they couldn't shut down the run.

That was a theme for them last year. They only had 35 sacks (the same number as us), and struggled to get pressure with any kind of consistency. And that's with Woodley and Harrison.

They're a very different kind of defense than a team like the Giants or the Lions, whose defenses actually are built on rushing the passer. The Broncos ran all over the Lions too (195 yards). But the Lions didn't care, because everyone runs on them (5.0 ypc against, 2nd worst in the league). They rely on their offense to take the other team's running game out of the picture and spend the whole game trying to force the QB into making mistakes.[/QUOTE] I just wanted to thank you for writing an interesting and thought provoking FOOTBALL related post.

While the rest of the usual suspects were patting themselves on their backs for hijacking the tread with what they THINK passes for wit (though AFCE fan's post WAS funny), you offered an interesting insight and then backed it up with evidence. Its something I hadn't thought about.

The Jets under Rex when their defenses have been good, have always been among the best teams against the run. Adding Landry and Bell makes more sense if you look at it as a method of improving the Jet defense against the run.

On the other hand it does run counter to the common wisdom that in this new era of football, teams are looking more for safeties who have CB-like coverage skills to combat all the middle of the field passing that has become the vogue in recent years. Just because its different doesn't mean its a bad idea. Just one that should provoke discussion.

Though probably not here since football discussions aren't appreciated as much as personal attacks and self congratulatory attempts of humor.:rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4477298]I just wanted to thank you for writing an interesting and thought provoking FOOTBALL related post.

While the rest of the usual suspects were patting themselves on their backs for hijacking the tread with what they THINK passes for wit (though AFCE fan's post WAS funny), you offered an interesting insight and then backed it up with evidence. Its something I hadn't thought about.

The Jets under Rex when their defenses have been good, have always been among the best teams against the run. Adding Landry and Bell makes more sense if you look at it as a method of improving the Jet defense against the run.

On the other hand it does run counter to the common wisdom that in this new era of football, teams are looking more for safeties who have CB-like coverage skills to combat all the middle of the field passing that has become the vogue in recent years. Just because its different doesn't mean its a bad idea. Just one that should provoke discussion.

Though probably not here since football discussions aren't appreciated as much as personal attacks and self congratulatory attempts of humor.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think our run D while statistically pretty solid was lacking from previous years. I think it was in part due to breaking in a rookie (Mo Wilk), slow safeties/LBs, our replacements for BT might have brought more rush but were mediocre at setting the edge, and injuries to a key run stuffer in devito. I agree that it seems like a different philosophy, but like you yourself said different isn't always bad.

Great post.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4461324]The Steelers' defense is actually built on stopping the run, as is the Ravens' defense. Last year, Pittsburgh's run defense was the worst it had been since 2007. Both years they lost in the wildcard round to run first teams, the Jaguars in '07 and the Broncos last year. In both games they allowed more than 130 rushing yards. In 2010, they only allowed more than 75 rushing yards in 2/19 games, and never allowed more than 106 yards (which was against the Jets in week 15).

The Steelers only allowed 3.0 yards per carry in 2010, half a yard better than anyone else in football that year, and a full yard per carry better than the 4.0 that they allowed last year. The effect it had on the game was so pronounced, they faced 50 fewer rushing attempts than anyone else in the league, and more than 100 fewer carries than the league average. Teams simply gave up on trying to run the ball.

That's what Pittsburgh's defense is built on. By the time the 2nd half rolls around, they're only defending the run on 1st down or 2nd/3rd & short. Everything else is a pass, they know it's a pass, and they pin their ears back.

The two games in which they allowed 100 rushing yards in 2010: 1 sack for 0 yards.

The other 14 games: 48 sacks for 319 yards

The playoff game against the Broncos? 0 sacks. And that was playing the most sacked QB in the league (%-wise). They didn't get pressure because they couldn't shut down the run.

That was a theme for them last year. They only had 35 sacks (the same number as us), and struggled to get pressure with any kind of consistency. And that's with Woodley and Harrison.

They're a very different kind of defense than a team like the Giants or the Lions, whose defenses actually are built on rushing the passer. The Broncos ran all over the Lions too (195 yards). But the Lions didn't care, because everyone runs on them (5.0 ypc against, 2nd worst in the league). They rely on their offense to take the other team's running game out of the picture and spend the whole game trying to force the QB into making mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Great post.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shark99;4461180]When NE won brady was well protected they lost b/c the giants beat him up the 1st superbowl the gmen won. He could make a bbq back there...look the steelers followed the same model.

Hit the Qb sack him...he's the MVP whether or not he's good...how many times does a backup come and do well. Hostetler etc. Odds are you knock out the starter and you have a good chance of winning. Saints wanted Favre out and were willing to pay for it![/QUOTE]

The issue is the Jets can't do this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shark99;4461154]Teams are built on sacking the Qb and protecting the Qb. Last year we did neither well. We went from one of the best to one of worst OL. We don't have a big time pass rusher. Who can tell us the last time we had someone get 10+ double digit sacks? Abraham?

Sanchez is getting killed back there. Hunter was horrible and we have no depth. We let Turner walk....mind boggling.

Bottom line is if you don't put heat on the QB and keep your Qb upright you don't dominate.

We made some moves to correct our problem on Defense but have done nothing for the OL. Drafting RGriffin in the 6th round doesn't address the most dire need we had.[/QUOTE]

blah bla bla you such a cry baby we dont have no O tough schltz Sanchez suck anyway.... defense wins championhip see! :eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=srobjets;4477762]The issue is the Jets can't do this.[/QUOTE]

And you know this how? Did they play any games yet? Stop projecting last season onto this team. Quinton Coples, DeMario Davis, Aaron Maybin (2nd year), Mo Wilkerson (2nd year), Kendrick Ellis (2nd year) Brian Thomas (healthy), Pace, Harris etc. More speed and athleticism in front seven and at safety, more 4 man fronts etc. I think our Pass Rush is going to be a strength for this team; I really do.