Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYJETS sign Matt Simms QB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4461373]Let them all fight it out in camp and may the best man win. Open competition for the starting spot between Sanchez, McElroy, Kinne, and Simms. Tebow dedicated to only be the wildcat/gimmick QB.

I do not want Tebow becoming the starter so please, PLEASE...

Sanchez or McElroy get some balls and lay them on the line.[/QUOTE]

I partly agree, if you already know your starter, let everyone else show what they can do in competition.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4461330]McElroy reminds me of Ken Dorsey.

Winning in college doesn't have much to do with NFL success. I like that McElroy is smart, but from what I've read, Simms probably has the best arm of the three, which would make him the most talented.[/QUOTE]

+100

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4461318]A favor or more media whoring. I dont know what to believe anymore. :confused:[/QUOTE]

He's just a camp arm, nothing more. I don't see why anyone would make a big deal out of this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4461315]This is a favor.[/QUOTE]

Could be but that favor will only take you into trianing camp. It's crazy how some get nuts about the free agents or try out players getting signed. Once training camp starts they have a big road ahead of them to even make the practice squad. I'm just going by the odds but you never know if another Wayne Chrebet comes along.

Jmo

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4461248]McElroy is the far most talented of the bunch. I sure hope his mouth didnt cost him a spot on this team.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4461320]That wasnt the thread starter it was a post made in the thread early on. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    He referred to you as the thread starter. Same as original poster. You're assuming he meant original post.

That's what he was saying.

And you did say it. So why are you trying to deny it?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;4461252]F**K DON BOSCO[/QUOTE]

I went to bosco with Simms. Man, that kid could really throw... a party. :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4461468]He referred to you as the thread starter. Same as original poster. You're assuming he meant original post.

That's what he was saying.

And you did say it. So why are you trying to deny it?[/QUOTE]

Thank you, jeez I didn't think it was that tough to understand

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;4461514]Thank you, jeez I didn't think it was that tough to understand[/QUOTE]

Dude why all the McElroy hate? You're squealing like he pulled out before you came or something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simms Practice Squad. Mcelroy #3. Move along.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    simms should be thankful for the 90 man roster increase. Each team, including the Jets will now be able to carry at least two extra camp fodder arms during TC

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4461248]McElroy is the far most talented of the bunch. I sure hope his mouth didnt cost him a spot on this team.[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you actually see one of them play QB before making statements like that?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETFAN1;4461444]Could be but that favor will only take you into trianing camp. It's crazy how some get nuts about the free agents or try out players getting signed. Once training camp starts they have a big road ahead of them to even make the practice squad. I'm just going by the odds but you never know if another Wayne Chrebet comes along.

Jmo[/QUOTE]

You would think that people would understand this is how it works. Agents are given favors, sign my guy so he gets exposure etc.

And none of this means that a lesser player will be kept over another just for sh1ts and giggles. If someone emerges, great.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;4461514]Thank you, jeez I didn't think it was that tough to understand[/QUOTE]
    It wasn't.

He obviously had trouble taking ownership of his comment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;4461253]Why is he the most talented, have you seen the others in action yet?[/QUOTE]

i also think people give McElroy too much credit based on a couple of preseason appearances.

What I saw was a good game manager with lackluster arm strength. JMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;4461615]Simms Practice Squad. Mcelroy #3. Move along.[/QUOTE]

Agree. McElroy is a perfectly adequate #3

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4461705]i also think people give McElroy too much credit based on a couple of preseason appearances.

What I saw was a good game manager with lackluster arm strength. JMO.[/QUOTE]

Why?

These are mostly the same people who just knew that Ratliff was "our" Tony Romo and should be starting. Then of course would be a starter somewhere else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    considering mcelroy couldn't even finish preseason last year, i don't know why anyone's ranking these guys now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This stuff is all going to work itself out between now and the end of pre season,but i hope Matt Simms can stick with this team.This kid has a ton of talent,but growing up with all his Father's money and being the BMOC at Don Bosco has left this kid with some issues that a touch of humility can and should fix.

That or 2 of his offensive teamates knocking the poop out of him just might do the trick.I would hate for this kid to figure it all out after he gets cut from our roster and end up with a division rival.IMHO Matt Simms has a better arm that either Chris or his Dad and is a slightly less athlete than Chris was prior to his injury.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simms is a very interesting signing, IMO. He clearly has talent as a passer - go look at his highlight videos and you will see signs of obvious ability. A strong arm, quick release, good mobility etc. But his college career was, at best, mediocre. If he had taken the same route through college -from Louisville to JC to Tennessee, with limited success at each stop - with but the last name "Smith" instead of "Simms", we wouldn't be having this debate. Not only would he probably not have landed a UDFA contract, he probably wouldn't even have received a rookie camp tryout.

I'm sure his name has opened a door for him here, but the talent is there too. Can the Jets get it out of him? Who knows. He is wildly inconsistent, and there may be some entitlement issues based on his background. It's worth a shot based on his raw ability and his bloodline, but the odds are stacked against him. Maybe the light finally comes on, but it better come on quick. There is next to no chance he makes the 53 with Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy already there, so his best chance is trying to beat out Kinne for a possible PS spot. Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see if he can finally make the most of his talent and live up to his surname.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy -- very well positioned for the season

the other guys -- very well positioned to collect some nice per-diems and a small salary this summer as extra camp arms