Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tebow update! Just a story from Daily News

A Tebow update! Just a story from Daily News

From Daily News

The Jets' big-picture vision for Tim Tebow is coming into focus.

Tebow, perhaps the most versatile “backup quarterback” in NFL history, will be doing far more than holding a clipboard for Gang Green this coming season. Although new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano kept his plans for Tebow close to the vest last week, it’s been speculated that Tebow will be used in Wildcat/read-option packages and possibly line up as an H-back and fullback.

Now, it’s clear he’ll play a role on special teams as well.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff told the Daily News he will use Tebow on his unit. Westhoff has already discussed his vision with Tebow, who was amenable and eager to contribute on special teams, according to the coach.

Although Westhoff didn’t reveal his exact plan, he called Tebow a “more potent Brad Smith” with an ability to make a difference on special teams.

Last week, Sparano said that Tebow “can play anywhere from one to 20 snaps.

“As far as how we’ll use Tim or what we’ll do with Tim that way, we’re going to keep that to us right now,” Sparano said.

The Jets punted an average of 5.8 times per game last season, so it’s conceivable that as many as 30% of Tebow’s snaps will come on special teams.

Tebow, who was “outstanding” doing basic offensive drills in front of coaches last week, according to Rex Ryan, was recently voted the 95th best player in the league by his peers in an NFL Network player poll.

“That’s really saying something about the young man,” Ryan said about the poll results. “Everybody recognizes the competitiveness. The guy’s a winner, no question. People get tired of me saying it, but how do you not describe this guy as a football player? That’s what he is. He’s got size. He’s got strength. He’s got speed. And he can throw the football.”

Ryan has attempted to diffuse any potential quarterback controversy by proclaiming several times that Mark Sanchez is the team’s undisputed starter. However, Ryan is also excited to see how Sparano can maximize Tebow’s unique skills within the confines of his offense.

The Jets will have a “Tebow Package” that will include read-option elements. Sparano and general manager Mike Tannenbaum brushed off the fact that the Jets drafted three players from option-style offenses in college as “coincidence” rather than a calculated strategy to bolster that package.

See, and and some of us were worried what the Jets would do with Tebow. So far we've heard he'll be lining up at: QB, HB, FB, TE, WR, Special Teams, including possibly punt returner, dime package extra DB.

Just look at the value and versatility Rex and Tanny got for a mere 4th round pick!

And Tebow can even core a apple!

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EABuPIKLAtM/TEZsSuPyd7I/AAAAAAAADTw/kEzTy_rYaDA/s1600/Better_Living_Through_TV.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Dcat;4461647]See, and and some of us were worried what the Jets would do with Tebow. So far we've heard he'll be lining up at: QB, HB, FB, TE, WR, Special Teams, including possibly punt returner, dime package extra DB.

Just look at the value and versatility Rex and Tanny got for a mere 4th round pick!

And Tebow can even core a apple!

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EABuPIKLAtM/TEZsSuPyd7I/AAAAAAAADTw/kEzTy_rYaDA/s1600/Better_Living_Through_TV.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but this is EXACTLY how we should look at this trade.

Not as a PR move . . . not as a QB controversy . . . not as a religious freak show . . . but as GREAT QUALITY FOR A 4th ROUND PICK.

Could any of those other factors arise? Sure, but that doesn't discount the value we got from the trade . . .

Veteran
    I think "ab"using this kid as a special teamer is short sighted. keep him as wild cat/backup. rest reeks of desperation

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4461666]I think "ab"using this kid as a special teamer is short sighted. keep him as wild cat/backup. rest reeks of desperation[/QUOTE]

He's a 4th round pick! He should absolutely be playing special teams and a backup role right now.

when I read Westhoff's "more potent than Brad Smith" comment, I think he's referring to offense/wildcat. can you imagine Tebow returning kickoffs? geez. stick with Joe Mcknight thank you.

I say we line him and Hayden Smith up in a punt formation on every fourth down and, when on the right side of the 50 or in short yardage, fake it with one of them. I'm semi-serious.

[QUOTE=Play2Win;4461666]I think "ab"using this kid as a special teamer is short sighted. keep him as wild cat/backup. rest reeks of desperation[/QUOTE]

If they don't envision him as an NFL caliber starting QB - and I don't see how they could. Then him playing special teams makes complete sense.

He's a great athlete that doesn't naturally translate to any full time position in the NFL - so use him where ever and whenever you can - including special teams.

All League
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4461666]I think "ab"using this kid as a special teamer is short sighted. keep him as wild cat/backup. rest reeks of desperation[/QUOTE]Desperation for what? H-back would be a pretty good role for him.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4461683]He's a 4th round pick! He should absolutely be playing special teams and a backup role right now.[/QUOTE]

wrong.. he's a first round pick who's a qb. He got traded for a 4th rounder. Big difference. Santonio was traded for a 5th rounder, so maybe he should be playing special teams also.

I dont think he has it to be a qb, but the guy has never played special teams and now all of a sudden he's going to be beasting it on ST. The surprise element of a dual threat qb goes out the window when returning/covering kicks and punts. A fake punt maybe, but thats it!

If iwere him I'd be pissed that I'm asked to do what other players on the team should be able to do on special teams. he's gonna end up hurt like he was at the end of the season last year and thus losing his effectiveness.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ozu;4461713]Desperation for what? H-back would be a pretty good role for him.[/QUOTE]

H back is different than covering special teams.

[QUOTE=OCCH;4461660]Not sure if this is sarcasm, but this is EXACTLY how we should look at this trade.

Not as a PR move . . . not as a QB controversy . . . not as a religious freak show . . . but as GREAT QUALITY FOR A 4th ROUND PICK.

Could any of those other factors arise? Sure, but that doesn't discount the value we got from the trade . . .[/QUOTE]

yes, which is why many of us loved the trade from the get go.

Tebow provides tremendous versatility across the board.

[QUOTE=Play2Win;4461714]wrong.. he's a first round pick who's a qb. He got traded for a 4th rounder. Big difference. Santonio was traded for a 5th rounder, so maybe he should be playing special teams also.

I dont think he has it to be a qb, but the guy has never played special teams and now all of a sudden he's going to be beasting it on ST. The surprise element of a dual threat qb goes out the window when returning/covering kicks and punts. A fake punt maybe, but thats it!

If iwere him I'd be pissed that I'm asked to do what other players on the team should be able to do on special teams. he's gonna end up hurt like he was at the end of the season last year and thus losing his effectiveness.[/QUOTE]

If they made Holmes play ST when they first got him, it would have been the same situation -- risking a 5th round pick that it would pan out. Unfortunately, they've now committed 1st round money to him, so that argument is out the window.

No matter how you slice it, if Tebow doesn't pan out we lost a FOURTH ROUND PICK -- it's never going to be any bigger than that. Now, you could argue we could have used him more efficiently (and thereby raising his value), but that's a completely different debate than where he was drafted . . .

I don't think its desperation. It's using an asset to his full potential. If he can do more than the wildcat, then we should use him. I don't think he should be the QB, I think he should be the role he has been forecast to play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4461722]yes, which is why many of us loved the trade from the get go.

Tebow provides tremendous versatility across the board.[/QUOTE]

I must admit I was against it but I'll wait to see how it translates to the field first.. If it works it was a fine addition if not... Well I'll leave it at that..

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4461722]yes, which is why [B]many[/B] of us loved the trade from the get go.

Tebow provides tremendous versatility across the board.[/QUOTE]

Guess it just doesn't feel like it . . .:steamin:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If they play Tim Tebow the way they say they will, this is all moot because he will be on the IR before Week 5.

Rookie
    I've never heard one coach say that Westoff would use him as a kick/punt returner. The special teams job that they've been talking about is the punter's personal protector (which Brad Smith used to line up at), which would put him in position to receive a direct snap on fake punts. He would also be used as a holder on kicks, again, good for fakes. We don't need to make it more than it is..... he won't be returning kicks. As far as [B]UP TO 20 [/B]plays a game, that's exactly what it is...... [B]UP TO 20[/B] snaps. If a defense isn't stopping him, they [B]should[/B] keep doing it, unlike Schitty's approach....... if the defense is stopping it, I'm sure it'll be less than 20.

If you can make a defense account for you on the field, then that's a great start. And teams will have to commit extra time to do that for Tebow and the Jets. Despite his 47% completion rate, he is a weapon, simple as that. Jets coaches are not going to get this guy killed by doing stupid things with him. But they also realize he's 240 lbs and can take a hit -- and deliver them as well.

They're just getting creative, isn't that a good thing? Some jets fans say Schotty was the worst, now the Jets are thinking outside the box with Tebow and it's the dumbest idea they've ever heard. Come on now.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;4461702]If they don't envision him as an NFL caliber starting QB
    [/QUOTE]

Then why did the team immediately trade a true #2 QB in Drew Stanton ?

For the Jets Tebow is the #2 QB - which makes all this other stuff just foolishness. No other #2 QB in the league plays on punt or kickoff teams. It's just asking for injury at the most important backup position on the roster.