Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Rex Still Bashing His Offense?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Rex Still Bashing His Offense?

I felt really good about Rex Ryan's interview with Francesa at the end of the season. He sounded like he really understood and internalized the downside of his big talk and his indifference to the offense.

I also felt really good about Sparano replacing Schottenheimer at OC. And I don't think Schotty is as terrible as others do. I think he was absolutely wrong for our personnel, wrong for a young play-action quarterback, and most importantly wrong for Rex. But I'll bet he'll be successful down the road. Sparano, on the other hand, is enough of a natural coach to command that offense without a strong HC looking over his shoulder.

That brings me to my point. Why is Rex still trashing [I]his own offense[/I]? I've heard him do it twice so far this offseason. He complained about Tanny wanting him to carry 9OL at the expense of Dline depth during the post-draft press conference, and during his rookie camp Q&A he said he doesn't "get excited" about drafting WR and that that is not his "thing."

This bothers the hell out of me. And I have to think it bothers his offensive players too. He made both comments with a smile, but I don't think it's funny. If he wanted to be a defensive coordinator that's the job he should have applied for.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really? Have you SEEN our offense? It was PATHETIC. With a CAPITAL "P".

Only 2-3 worse offenses than ours. Rex knows if he had even a middle of the pact offense, this is a SB team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4462090]I felt really good about Rex Ryan's interview with Francesa at the end of the season. He sounded like he really understood and internalized the downside of his big talk and his indifference to the offense.

I also felt really good about Sparano replacing Schottenheimer at OC. And I don't think Schotty is as terrible as others do. I think he was absolutely wrong for our personnel, wrong for a young play-action quarterback, and most importantly wrong for Rex. But I'll bet he'll be successful down the road. Sparano, on the other hand, is enough of a natural coach to command that offense without a strong HC looking over his shoulder.

That brings me to my point. Why is Rex still trashing [I]his own offense[/I]? I've heard him do it twice so far this offseason. He complained about Tanny wanting him to carry 9OL at the expense of Dline depth during the post-draft press conference, and during his rookie camp Q&A he said he doesn't "get excited" about drafting WR and that that is not his "thing."

This bothers the hell out of me. And I have to think it bothers his offensive players too. He made both comments with a smile, but I don't think it's funny. If he wanted to be a defensive coordinator that's the job he should have applied for.[/QUOTE]
    Be prepared for the barrage of Rexites calling for your head.

By the way, good post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has a ton of potential as a coach but yeah, if he doesn't start to realize that the offense is HIS responsibility too, just as much as the defense, he'll be back to being a DC in the not too distant future. His two biggest flaws are ignoring the offense and not being in touch with the lockerroom. He can easily improve on that too. Tannenbaum is his boss, maybe he needs to tell Rex that these are issues.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    errr... he was kidding... get a grip. :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;4462121]errr... he was kidding... get a grip. :eek:[/QUOTE]
    Link?

People with bleached teeth always look like they're smiling.

Question is, was he chortling and was his waddle vibrating?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4462119]Rex has a ton of potential as a coach but yeah, if he doesn't start to realize that the offense is HIS responsibility too, just as much as the defense, he'll be back to being a DC in the not too distant future. His two biggest flaws are ignoring the offense and not being in touch with the lockerroom. He can easily improve on that too. Tannenbaum is his boss, maybe he needs to tell Rex that these are issues.[/QUOTE]

Agreed..... this from a guy who admits that he didn't attend O meetings? Really? A HEAD coach.

He has some growing up to do IMO as a head coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I'm still waiting to hear how he bashed the O.

Because he didn't?

And because he was kidding?

But yet some, once again take what they want out of comments, reading or hearing what they want.:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both of those comments were said in jest, with the target of the 'joke' being him and the idea that he favors the defense.

There's literally not one iota of what he said, that could be taken as an attack on the offense, unless you only read the comments and/or [i]completely[/i] missed the sarcasm (and thus target) of the joke.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Montana;4462131]Both of those comments were said in jest, with the target of the joke being him and the idea that he favors the defense.

There's literally not one iota of what he said, that could be taken as an attack on the offense, unless you only read the comments and completely missed the sarcasm (and thus target) of the joke.[/QUOTE]

see, there is some sanity on this forum. I was starting to wonder... :eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    First thing op is wrong about is that Schotty wasn't as bad as we make him out to be. Don't forget that Holmes told reporters before the season that our receiver routes were predictable as told to him by a Cb in the league. AND... we weren't open all season because of it.
    Schotty needs to call Bobby Petrino and learn what a 'route tree' is. If our passing game suffers, BP could help consult the passing game cause he sure as hell wont be coaching anywhere this year.
    I do agree that Rex needs to take more interest in the O though.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;4462136]Rex needs to take more interest in the O though.[/QUOTE]

Which he's made a point of saying he will be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You had to know what we were getting into when we hired Rex. This organization officially became "defense first" at that moment. Nothing wrong with it if your defense is truly legendary like the 2000 Ravens or 2001 Bucs. However, Rex's defense has not yet been that kind of unit.

So it is a problem that he doesn't understand the offensive passing game at all. Gotta wonder if Sparano has what it takes to manage a passing game too. Todd Haley called the pass plays in Dallas and Henning did it for him in Miami.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 05-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    more then being a middle of a pack offense OR better

we NEEEED consistency and 1st downs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Its pretty foolish to believe that Rex doesn't understand the passing game because his background is as a DC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4462090]I felt really good about Rex Ryan's interview with Francesa at the end of the season. He sounded like he really understood and internalized the downside of his big talk and his indifference to the offense.

This bothers the hell out of me. And I have to think it bothers his offensive players too. He made both comments with a smile, but I don't think it's funny. If he wanted to be a defensive coordinator that's the job he should have applied for.[/QUOTE]

Good post.

You are entitled to your opinion and it is justified b.c Rex does ignore the importance of the offense sometimes. He gushes about his defense to a fault sometimes.

But in this case I truly believe he was kidding. But there is a little truth in every joke.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;4462136]First thing op is wrong about is that Schotty wasn't as bad as we make him out to be. Don't forget that Holmes told reporters before the season that our receiver routes were predictable as told to him by a Cb in the league. AND... we weren't open all season because of it.
    Schotty needs to call Bobby Petrino and learn what a 'route tree' is. If our passing game suffers, BP could help consult the passing game cause he sure as hell wont be coaching anywhere this year.
    I do agree that Rex needs to take more interest in the O though.[/QUOTE]Quoting a selfish, self serving, locker room cancer is not the way to enhance your credibility.

Shotty did a decent job getting the most out of the limited talent he was given to work with, Sparano will have his work cut out for him simplifying his offense for to get the most out of Sanchez's marginal decision making skills.

HC means being where the bucks stops for all aspects of the team's football operations. Offense, defense, special teams. Maybe after last season, that lesson FINALLY got through to Rex.

Sparano by all accounts is or can be a competent OC, but he is NOT the HC of the offense. Rex is. Jet fans better hopes he understands this.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure Ken.

Good to see you have your finger on the pulse of our O.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure what's gonna happen. rex could be one of those guys who claims to get it after he's canned and they hire a gruden-type to fix the offense who also knows when to keep his mouth shut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4462171] but he is NOT the HC of the offense. Rex is. Jet fans better hopes he understands this.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, Beli is one of the worst defensive HC's in recent memory... I hope you understand that...

Unless of course you feel he doesn't ignore the defense and he's just really bad at that part of his job... In which case he's one of the worst defensive HC's in recent memory...