Thread: Vrentas: Jets' Josh Bush flew under the radar in college, but team targeted him

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Vrentas: Jets' Josh Bush flew under the radar in college, but team targeted him

Published: Monday, May 07, 2012, 8:29 PM

Josh Bush didn’t receive an invite to the Senior Bowl or the NFL Combine.

He was left off the lists of some draft pundits, and when he finished up his college career at Wake Forest, he didn’t think many people expected him to be drafted.

“I was definitely under the radar,” Bush said during rookie minicamp this past weekend. “A lot of people didn’t even know who I was, as far as scouts for teams. My coach was telling me they’d come in and watch film, and I wouldn’t even be on the sheet. And at the end of it, they’d be like, ‘Who is this No. 4 kid?’ ”

But the [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/"]Jets[/URL] knew about him. They were in the market for a cover safety, with cornerback skills, and Bush fit the bill.

The Jets were one of two teams whose headquarters Bush visited before the draft. During the visit, coach Rex Ryan hinted, in one way or another, that he just might be wearing a Jets uniform this season.

“I definitely knew there was interest,” Bush said with a smile.

The Jets gave away their fourth- and fifth-round picks, but when the 187th pick came up in the sixth round, they called Bush’s name. “I felt like I was the first pick of the draft,” said Bush, who signed his four-year rookie deal Sunday. “It was a great feeling.”

And Bush has a real chance to contribute this year. Ryan said they were not looking for a starter, necessarily, but a safety to plug into their defensive sub packages. Their needs included a player who can cover opponents man-to-man and be used over top of coverages in the deep field.

Bush played both cornerback and safety at Wake Forest, giving him what Ryan called an “interesting skill set.”

“In today’s game, that’s really what you need,” Ryan said. "You need guys that have man-cover skills, especially if you play a defense like us, and guys with range. I think he has that. He has ball skills.”

Bush said his senior season was the first year he played safety full-time. He recorded six interceptions. He started six games at free safety as a sophomore, but otherwise spent his college career as a cornerback. Bush hopes his experience at both positions can benefit him as he works to earn playing time.

“Playing corner, you have to be more reactive toward the wide receiver when they are running routes. You have to be more reactive and anticipate more,” Bush said. “When you get back at safety, you kind of have to slow it down, because you are typically covering the tight end. But your reaction skills should be greater than the average safety.”

Ryan called Bush a “smart young man” and believes he can handle the Jets’ complicated defensive scheme. Bush and former South Carolina safety Antonio Allen, who was drafted in the seventh round, roomed together during rookie minicamp and stayed up late each night studying.

“Everybody thought he could handle it mentally,” Ryan said. “Then our big thing is physically, he’s just got to fire it in there a little bit more.

Understand that your teammate is going to be flying to the football, and you can be more aggressive.”

Bush is working on it, promising to sprint to the ball at full speed whether it’s a drill, a practice or a game. He has the opportunity to bring a key dimension to the Jets’ depth chart at safety, but he knows he has to earn it.

“I feel like that’s something they think I can do,” Bush said, referring to secondary coaches Dennis Thurman and Jim O’Neil. “They’ve told me a lot, ‘You’re more of a cover safety,’ so hopefully it will work out.”

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_josh_bush_flew_under_the.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Great article, love guys like this, the diamonds in the rough that sometimes emerge from a draft.

It's what separates a good FO from the rest. Hopefully the early glowing reports continue.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its about time the NYJETS get some blue chip players that others overlooked. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully they turn out to be right.

It is basically a win-win. No such thing as a 6th round bust. Low risk, high reward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be sweet to hit on a sixth round pick like this. Safety is a spot of need which makes this even better. Nice to get 4-6 contributors from a draft class this would prove a lot of the so-called experts wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been saying it he will start this year. The kid is a faster version of Diwght Lowery.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4462515]Great article, love guys like this, the diamonds in the rough that sometimes emerge from a draft.

It's what separates a good FO from the rest. Hopefully the early glowing reports continue.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I hope this guy is a great safety for us.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope he makes it.

We need a cover safety badly and I would like to buy my wife a "Bush" jersey.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice read on Bush.

I hope he lives up to his potential.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;4462673]I've been saying it he will start this year. The kid is a faster version of Diwght Lowery.[/QUOTE]

This I like! If he really is a late round gem, even better than Lowery then the Jets better hold on to him and not do dumb stuff like trading him for peanuts:steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

New York Jets Draft Pick Analysis: Safety Josh Bush

May 8th, 2012 | by Chris Gross |

With immense struggle at the [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]Safety[/COLOR][/URL] position last season, one of the New York Jets’ most pressing needs heading into the 2012 draft was to find players to add to the back of their defensive secondary. New York was repeatedly hurt by their safety play last year, especially after the season ending injury to Jim Leonhard. Opposing tight ends generally had field days against the Jets, most notably New England’s Rob Gronkowski. In his two games against Gang Green last season, Gronkowski caught 12 balls for 144 yards and 2 touchdowns. If New York ever wants to take the reigns from New England in the AFC East, one of the many things they will have to do is shutdown the young TE duo of Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, who also had 9 catches for 97 yards in his two games against the Jets last year.

New York addressed the safety position via free agency with the addition of former first round selection LaRon Landry. However, Landry is known for his physicality and play as a Strong Safety, rather than his coverage ability.

The Jets desperately needed to add a quality cover Safety, and that is exactly what they did when they selected Josh Bush with the 187th overall pick in this year’s draft. While Landry will serve an in the box type role this season, Bush has the ability to take over for Leonhard in the center field role for New York. Eric Smith will likely begin the season as the starter, but with Bush’s strong cover skills, there is certainly a chance for him to see significant time, and eventually surpass Smith by mid to late season.

The most obvious trait that stands out on Bush is his athleticism. He has very smooth hips and makes seamless transitions from his backpedal into his forward progressions. He shows fantastic ability to read routes and react to the ball. His has good closing speed which gives him great range and the ability to roam the field freely. This is crucial to the position, because it allows him have the liberty to [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]navigate[/COLOR][/URL] the secondary.

Bush’s run game skills are excellent as well. His pursuit angles are what a safety’s should be. He will not take poor angles to try and make a play, but instead will take the longer, safer angles, while allowing everyone in front of him to make the tackle before the ball carrier gets to his level, literally making himself the last line of defense. In terms of run defense, this is exactly what a free safety should be doing.

As a true free safety, Bush knows his assignments, and does a great job of orchestrating the defense by getting his teammates in the right spots before the snap. He can certainly make the big play, demonstrated by his 6 interceptions at Wake Forest last season, but he will not be depended on to do so, especially in New York’s star studded secondary. Instead, Bush will need to be cerebral and be able to blanket the Tight End, along with anything else over the middle, something he is no stranger to. Last season against Clemson, Bush was a problem for the Tigers’ All American Tight End, Dwayne Allen. Against Bush and the Wake Forest defense, Allen amassed only 4 catches for 48 yards.

Bush’s strong points are an excellent fit for the Jets. He is very fast, extremely quick, and similar to his rookie counterparts that we have previously reviewed, he is very tough. Bush also demonstrates a vast knowledge of the defense and his responsibilities. He knows his job and constantly executes his assignments with one hundred percent effort. Bush does not get caught up worrying about his teammates’ assignments, which shows he has great [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]trust[/COLOR][/URL] in those around him, something vital to the success of any defense.

While Bush certainly possesses athleticism, passion, and confidence, there are some aspects of his game that, if improved upon, will only make him a better, more complete [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]player[/COLOR][/URL]. His ability to shed blocks is somewhat poor, and his tackling skills, although good, are far from perfect. As a Free Safety, Bush’s play in these areas will not determine his success at the position, but improvement here will not only make him a better player, it will enhance the entire defense as well.

In evaluating film of Josh Bush, there is certainly great [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]question[/COLOR][/URL] as to how he flew so far under the radar in college. Despite being a third team All American, and first team All ACC selection, Bush was snubbed for the Senior Bowl and did not receive an invite to the NFL Combine. He moved from the Cornerback position to Safety for his senior season, so perhaps there were concerns about his level of experience. He also does not have elite size, but at 5’11” 203 lbs, he is certainly big enough to develop into a very productive NFL safety.

Overall, Bush surely has the ability to be an early contributor. His athleticism and coverage skills will make him a great fit for the role he will be placed in with the Jets. Combine that with the extreme lack of depth the Jets have at the Free Safety position, and he will more than likely always be a play or two away from getting on the field.

Eric Smith is expected to begin the season as the starting FS, but if he begins to struggle again, expect New York to take a shot with Bush. If he can develop intellectually, he will prove to be a stronger, faster, more athletic Jim Leonhard. The key will be how well he can grasp the defense and how confident he will be in taking command.

[B][I]Editor’s Notes – [/I][/B]Bush reminds me an awful lot of Dwight Lowery. He is a hybrid safety/corner with average size and [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]speed[/COLOR][/URL] that has very good ball skills and instincts.

When the Jets go to a three safety look, he is a logical player to drop into a centerfield type role. It wouldn’t shock me if he found his way on to the field as a starter at some point considering the Jets depth chart but ideally he will spend this season only playing in sub packages and on special teams.

[URL]http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/[/URL]
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4466844]May 8th, 2012 | by Chris Gross |

With immense struggle at the [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]Safety[/COLOR][/URL] position last season, one of the New York Jets’ most pressing needs heading into the 2012 draft was to find players to add to the back of their defensive secondary. New York was repeatedly hurt by their safety play last year, especially after the season ending injury to Jim Leonhard. Opposing tight ends generally had field days against the Jets, most notably New England’s Rob Gronkowski. In his two games against Gang Green last season, Gronkowski caught 12 balls for 144 yards and 2 touchdowns. If New York ever wants to take the reigns from New England in the AFC East, one of the many things they will have to do is shutdown the young TE duo of Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, who also had 9 catches for 97 yards in his two games against the Jets last year.

New York addressed the safety position via free agency with the addition of former first round selection LaRon Landry. However, Landry is known for his physicality and play as a Strong Safety, rather than his coverage ability.

The Jets desperately needed to add a quality cover Safety, and that is exactly what they did when they selected Josh Bush with the 187th overall pick in this year’s draft. While Landry will serve an in the box type role this season, Bush has the ability to take over for Leonhard in the center field role for New York. Eric Smith will likely begin the season as the starter, but with Bush’s strong cover skills, there is certainly a chance for him to see significant time, and eventually surpass Smith by mid to late season.

The most obvious trait that stands out on Bush is his athleticism. He has very smooth hips and makes seamless transitions from his backpedal into his forward progressions. He shows fantastic ability to read routes and react to the ball. His has good closing speed which gives him great range and the ability to roam the field freely. This is crucial to the position, because it allows him have the liberty to [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]navigate[/COLOR][/URL] the secondary.

Bush’s run game skills are excellent as well. His pursuit angles are what a safety’s should be. He will not take poor angles to try and make a play, but instead will take the longer, safer angles, while allowing everyone in front of him to make the tackle before the ball carrier gets to his level, literally making himself the last line of defense. In terms of run defense, this is exactly what a free safety should be doing.

As a true free safety, Bush knows his assignments, and does a great job of orchestrating the defense by getting his teammates in the right spots before the snap. He can certainly make the big play, demonstrated by his 6 interceptions at Wake Forest last season, but he will not be depended on to do so, especially in New York’s star studded secondary. Instead, Bush will need to be cerebral and be able to blanket the Tight End, along with anything else over the middle, something he is no stranger to. Last season against Clemson, Bush was a problem for the Tigers’ All American Tight End, Dwayne Allen. Against Bush and the Wake Forest defense, Allen amassed only 4 catches for 48 yards.

Bush’s strong points are an excellent fit for the Jets. He is very fast, extremely quick, and similar to his rookie counterparts that we have previously reviewed, he is very tough. Bush also demonstrates a vast knowledge of the defense and his responsibilities. He knows his job and constantly executes his assignments with one hundred percent effort. Bush does not get caught up worrying about his teammates’ assignments, which shows he has great [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]trust[/COLOR][/URL] in those around him, something vital to the success of any defense.

While Bush certainly possesses athleticism, passion, and confidence, there are some aspects of his game that, if improved upon, will only make him a better, more complete [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]player[/COLOR][/URL]. His ability to shed blocks is somewhat poor, and his tackling skills, although good, are far from perfect. As a Free Safety, Bush’s play in these areas will not determine his success at the position, but improvement here will not only make him a better player, it will enhance the entire defense as well.

In evaluating film of Josh Bush, there is certainly great [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]question[/COLOR][/URL] as to how he flew so far under the radar in college. Despite being a third team All American, and first team All ACC selection, Bush was snubbed for the Senior Bowl and did not receive an invite to the NFL Combine. He moved from the Cornerback position to Safety for his senior season, so perhaps there were concerns about his level of experience. He also does not have elite size, but at 5’11” 203 lbs, he is certainly big enough to develop into a very productive NFL safety.

Overall, Bush surely has the ability to be an early contributor. His athleticism and coverage skills will make him a great fit for the role he will be placed in with the Jets. Combine that with the extreme lack of depth the Jets have at the Free Safety position, and he will more than likely always be a play or two away from getting on the field.

Eric Smith is expected to begin the season as the starting FS, but if he begins to struggle again, expect New York to take a shot with Bush. If he can develop intellectually, he will prove to be a stronger, faster, more athletic Jim Leonhard. The key will be how well he can grasp the defense and how confident he will be in taking command.

[B][I]Editor’s Notes – [/I][/B]Bush reminds me an awful lot of Dwight Lowery. He is a hybrid safety/corner with average size and [URL="http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/#"][COLOR=darkgreen]speed[/COLOR][/URL] that has very good ball skills and instincts.

When the Jets go to a three safety look, he is a logical player to drop into a centerfield type role. It wouldn’t shock me if he found his way on to the field as a starter at some point considering the Jets depth chart but ideally he will spend this season only playing in sub packages and on special teams.

[URL]http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-draft-pick-analysis-safety-josh-bush/[/URL][/QUOTE]
    This kid is a super sleeper. He will definitively be starting. He has Lowery's skill set only the difference is that he played in a tougher conference.