Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Light

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt Light

Got more respect for this guy after having read this article. That condition is no joke if you've known someone that has it.

[url]http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7903017/matt-light-reveals-decade-long-battle-crohns[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsRex;4462636]Got more respect for this guy after having read this article. That condition is no joke if you've known someone that has it.

[url]http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7903017/matt-light-reveals-decade-long-battle-crohns[/url][/QUOTE]

Amazing that condition was kept quiet for 8 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly the Jets were set to draft him and the Pats got wind of this and picked him right in front of us. Don't recall if they traded up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Secondary Al;4462674]If I remember correctly the Jets were set to draft him and the Pats got wind of this and picked him right in front of us. Don't recall if they traded up.[/QUOTE]

In the 2nd round of the 2001 draft, Jets were picking 49th and the Pats were picking 50th.

Pats worked a trade with the Lions who had the 48th pick and moved up to take Light.

Jets then drafted Lamont Jordan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks TX. Pats also gave up a sixth rounder in the deal. This definitely added to the rivalry between the front offices.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a sufferer of chrons disease, this gives me more respect for the guy. The disease is incredibly difficult to cope with and really can be quite life altering. Even though I don't have it as severely as some other people, I can't imagine trying to be a professional athlete with the condition. It would be brutal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4462693]In the 2nd round of the 2001 draft, Jets were picking 49th and the Pats were picking 50th.

Pats worked a trade with the Lions who had the 48th pick and moved up to take Light.

Jets then drafted Lamont Jordan.[/QUOTE]

and then Kareem McKenzie in the next round (3rd). It wound working out alright for both teams.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4462786]and then Kareem McKenzie in the next round (3rd). It wound working out alright for both teams.[/QUOTE]

I was a little suprised when the Jets let Kareem walk after his rookie deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsRex;4462636]Got more respect for this guy after having read this article. That condition is no joke if you've known someone that has it.

[url]http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7903017/matt-light-reveals-decade-long-battle-crohns[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the article. Light was a great OL. To know he did so while battling this very serious condition makes his accomplishments even more remarkable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4462668]Amazing that condition was kept quiet for 8 years.[/QUOTE]

I am not surprised. Pats keep everything a secret and none of their players like to bring attention to themselves. The ones that do are jettisoned.

I give him credit for not playing the survivor card.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've followed the team closely for many years and Light's Crones disease came as a complete surprise. No one had an inkling that it existed. I have since heard that some of the guys who covered the team long term knew and never said anything about it. THAT's even more surprising as Light keeping it quiet.

Prior to finding out about his condition, I couldn't have had a higher opinion of him as a man and football player. I guess I was wrong. He was even more special than we thought.

As a football player you'd have to put him in that category of just under elite, which has been plenty good enough for the last 11 years. Its ironic that he had one of his best years in his final season. He saved his best for last, and goes out at the top of his game. We should all be so lucky

However the more you find out about him, the more you will find that he is a better man OFF the field than he was on it. I wish him the best of luck...not that he will need it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4462850]I've followed the team closely for many years and Light's Crones disease came as a complete surprise. No one had an inkling that it existed. I have since heard that some of the guys who covered the team long term knew and never said anything about it. THAT's even more surprising as Light keeping it quiet.

Prior to finding out about his condition, I couldn't have had a higher opinion of him as a man and football player. I guess I was wrong. He was even more special than we thought.

As a football player you'd have to put him in that category of just under elite, which has been plenty good enough for the last 11 years. Its ironic that he had one of his best years in his final season. He saved his best for last, and goes out at the top of his game. We should all be so lucky

However the more you find out about him, the more you will find that he is a better man OFF the field than he was on it. I wish him the best of luck...not that he will need it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post, and very well said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    my friend had chrones and died from it....this disease is no joke and its amazing Light played in the NFL given the circumstances.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was diagnosed with a mild form on Chrohns. The worst part about it is the doctors don't know sh!t about it. But myself and 1000s of people have healed from it without any medication. It's all about what you eat but you won't ever hear that from a mainstream doctor. It's sad so many people have to suffer needlessly.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sparky24;4463473]I was diagnosed with a mild form on Chrohns. The worst part about it is the doctors don't know sh!t about it. But myself and 1000s of people have healed from it without any medication. It's all about what you eat but you won't ever hear that from a mainstream doctor. It's sad so many people have to suffer needlessly.[/QUOTE]

What kind of diet do you need to have?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could give two sh*ts about some Patriot, please is this a Patriot site?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4463476]I could give two sh*ts about some Patriot, please is this a Patriot site?[/QUOTE]

+1.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4463475]What kind of diet do you need to have?[/QUOTE]

SCD diet. It's strict but it works.

[url]http://scdlifestyle.com/about-the-scd-diet/[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sparky24;4463500]SCD diet. It's strict but it works.

[url]http://scdlifestyle.com/about-the-scd-diet/[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks.

So weird what is allowed and whats not. Beef is OK Ham is not, etc.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4463476]I could give two sh*ts about some Patriot, please is this a Patriot site?[/QUOTE]

Yeah **** him.