Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Tax Dollars at Work

Our Tax Dollars at Work

This is another example of government gone wrong. So some legislator says that "the poor need access to telephones in case of emergency. Everyone says wow what a great cause. Now we spend a billion dollars a year (or 1/4 of the total yearly dollar value of the Buffet Rule our libbies here believe is the solution to our problems) to give out a new cell phone each month to lowlifes that turn around and sell them for profit. Now THIS is government gone wrong!

Ark. congressman wants to disconnect $1 billion free cell phone program
    Published: 11:24 PM 05/06/2012

By Alexis Levinson - The Daily Caller

No one likes paying cell phone bills. What if you could get a free phone with a calling plan whose cost was paid by the federal government? What if you could have eight free cell phones? You can, and people do, Rep. Tim Griffin told The Daily Caller. The annual bill runs over $1 billion, and he’s trying to stop it.

The federal government started the Lifeline program to provide phones to low-income Americans. It originally provided only landlines, but cell phones were added several years ago.

“That’s when the program absolutely exploded and has become a nightmare,” Griffin said in a phone interview with TheDC. Calling it “Uncle Sam’s unlimited plan,” the Arkansas Republican has proposed a bill that would scale back the program to its original form: landlines only.

“People are not only getting [one free cell phone], they’re getting multiples. There are reports of people getting 10, 20, 30 — just routinely getting more than one, selling them, storing them up, whatever,” Griffin said.

“And they’re not just phones that are able to dial 911. They’re smartphones. They’re the type of phones that you and I pay hundreds of dollars a month to have contracts for.”

Griffin said his constituents have told him about people abusing the government benefit.

“I had someone call me this morning telling me they had somebody who would only work a certain number of hours a week because if they worked too many hours a week then they couldn’t get their government assistance. And that person has multiple cell phones, and gets them new every month with new minutes,” he said, sounding outraged.

The cell phone companies add to the problem, he said.

“Every one they give out, they get money for from the federal government. So they have an incentive to give as many away as possible,” Griffin explained. “And that’s exactly what they’re doing, and they’re making a killing.”

“And if you want to know where the money is coming from, just look at your cell phone bill: a line called the ‘universal service fund.’ I’m sure you, like I, have often wondered how a simple phone bill has pages and pages of fees and charges and stuff that you have no idea what it’s for. Well, this is one of those lines.”

Griffin said the program needs to return to its roots, eliminating the cell phone benefit entirely.

“The federal government should only be providing services for emergencies. You and I, taxpayers, shouldn’t be paying for cell phones so someone can have a social life,” he said. “I just don’t think it’s appropriate.”

“People get landlines out of necessity because they’re homebound or whatever, and they need that ability to call from their home if there’s an emergency,” he said.

With a cell phone, he charged, “you’re getting 100 minutes a month. Are people using 100 minutes a month to make 911 calls? Are people using 100 minutes a month for emergencies, for necessities? I don’t think so.”

Read more: [url]http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/06/ariz-congressman-wants-to-disconnect-1-billion-free-cell-phone-program/#ixzz1uIq1HseB[/url]

All League
    Terrible program. Should be scrapped.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4462822]Terrible program. Should be scrapped.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee that the Democrats will squash this bill in the Senate.

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4462831]I guarantee that the Democrats will squash this bill in the Senate.[/QUOTE]

And when they do, I will criticize them for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Get a frickin MagicJack

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4462838]And when they do, I will criticize them for it.[/QUOTE]

Tom Coburn presented a bill 2 months ago in the Senate. It had 10Billion yearly in cuts of the lowest hanging fruit in terms of government duplication and waste. We would have saved 10 billion (or 2.5 times the Buffet Rule Revenues) without affecting any services whatsoever. Democrats sequestered it.

Senate defeats Coburn effort to cut waste
    By Erik Wasson - 03/08/12 04:31 PM ET

The Senate on Thursday defeated an attempt by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) to force the Obama administration to cut government waste by eliminating duplicative programs.

Coburn’s amendment to the transportation bill got 52 votes and 46 senators voted against it. Under a agreement between Senate leaders, the amendment needed 60 votes to pass.

Most Democrats voted against the measure, but Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) and Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) were among those voting in favor.

The amendment orders the government to act on two recent Government Accountability Office reports that identified hundreds of billions of dollars in federal duplication and lost revenue.

Within 150 days, the administration would have to identify to Congress programs to cut as specified in the report.

The spending on those programs would be cut from this year’s appropriations budget. If the administration fails to act, $10 billion would be cut automatically.

[I]You don't know about this stuff because most people find this sort of legislative detail boring. News Media rarely report on bills like this being shot down. Those of us that follow actual legislation know what the real situation is. Democrats block all attempts at reducing spending regardless of even the most benign attempts to reduce fraud and duplication. [/I]
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 05-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4462838]And when they do, I will criticize them for it.[/QUOTE]

What happens when they say: This program is necessary. Poor inner city people cant afford phones out there. They need a way to call police. Reports of fraud are overblown. It is only a small fraction of recipients.

You will agree wholeheartedly.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4462818]The cell phone companies add to the problem, he said.

“Every one they give out, they get money for from the federal government. So they have an incentive to give as many away as possible,” Griffin explained. “And that’s exactly what they’re doing, and they’re making a killing.”[/QUOTE]

Masses of poor people lobbied the government to give them phones.

Uh.

No.

Cell phone companies.....seeing an opportunity to make a freaking fortune, used their millions to lobby the government to start a program where they could get free government money.

Forest for the trees, son. Wake up.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4463047]Masses of poor people lobbied the government to give them phones.

Uh.

No.

Cell phone companies.....seeing an opportunity to make a freaking fortune, used their millions to lobby the government to start a program where they could get free government money.

Forest for the trees, son. Wake up.[/QUOTE]

I dont give a crap who lobbied to get the law passed. We have a R proposing a bill to end the fraud. I predict Democrats will fight to keep it in place as they did in the Coburn bill.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4463047]Forest for the trees, son. Wake up.[/QUOTE]

Whats your point exactly PK?

Cell Phone Company or poor people abusing the system, it's wrong on both ends. Like so many of the issues you seem to fall hard on one side (it's pretty clear you loathe how business works my friends), there is usually plenty of wrongdoing on both sides.

Illegal Immigrants (wrong) abusing the IRS for refunds for 20+ kids that live in Mexico (wrong), helped by corrupt tax accountants (wrong). Illegals working (wrong) for a host of companies (wrong) who exploit their availabillity and the iRS's Tax ID system (wrong) because we lack the will to kick them out (wrong) and enforce the law and deal with the consequences or reform the system (wrong). No short of wrongs there, but usually, your line is "kill the Companies!!!" only.

IN this case, the Cell Phone makers, and those who choose to get 10 of um are both wrong, and the policy itself is wrong, and teh Govt. who fails to manage it is wrong. Again, plenty of wrong to go around, and the companies are not the one wrogn that can stop all the others...the Govt paying the tab is.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4463088]Whats your point exactly PK?

Cell Phone Company or poor people abusing the system, it's wrong on both ends. Like so many of the issues you seem to fall hard on one side (it's pretty clear you loathe how business works my friends), there is usually plenty of wrongdoing on both sides.

Illegal Immigrants (wrong) abusing the IRS for refunds for 20+ kids that live in Mexico (wrong), helped by corrupt tax accountants (wrong). Illegals working (wrong) for a host of companies (wrong) who exploit their availabillity and the iRS's Tax ID system (wrong) because we lack the will to kick them out (wrong) and enforce the law and deal with the consequences or reform the system (wrong). No short of wrongs there, but usually, your line is "kill the Companies!!!" only.

IN this case, the Cell Phone makers, and those who choose to get 10 of um are both wrong, and the policy itself is wrong, and teh Govt. who fails to manage it is wrong. Again, plenty of wrong to go around, and the companies are not the one wrogn that can stop all the others...the Govt paying the tab is.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with cell phone makers lobbing to include cell phones in the plan. Slimy yes, but thats what companies are supposed to do. Companies can ask for any perks they want. The politicians that go along with them are the villains. Ever worse are the Pols (see "the Democrats") that fight to keep the programs in place once the fraud has been exposed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4463088]Whats your point exactly PK?[/QUOTE]

Point to an area in the post where the cell phone companies are also referred to as "lowlife scum".

Waiting...............

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4463114]Slimy yes, but thats what companies are supposed to do.[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!!!

Of course.

The people who lobbied for the program (if they did NOT do that, we would not be discussing this), profited from the program and continue to lobby to keep in in the face of the government hemorrhaging money.......it "what they're supposed to do"?

lolzzzzz....

Yes. The people responsible for it are NOT to blame.

REPUBLICAN WORLD!! PARTY TIME!! EXCELLENT!!!!!

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4463136]Point to an area in the post where the cell phone companies are also referred to as "lowlife scum".

Waiting...............[/QUOTE]

You taking this personally or something PK? You think by extention whomever posted "scum suckers" also means you? Your cellphone free?

I don't speak for others, but if there is evidence the Cell Phone makers knew about the scam and helped the scam and abuse to occur...yes, they're absolutely scumbags. I'll even disagree with Chiefs, and say that their lobbying to allow cell phones to qualify for this policy is also prettys cumbaggy, as well as any Politicians who bought in/cashed in by supporting it, scumbaggery in extremis.

So, now that we've labeled all parties at fault as scumbags, do you feel better, are you able to say now that the people who consciously choose to engage in the scam are at fault too?

And do I need to remind you that lobbying isn't law passing.....the responsabillity still lies with the law makers for listenign to the lobbying more than the lobbyist for lobbying their interests in the first place.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4463185]You taking this personally or something PK? You think by extention whomever posted "scum suckers" also means you? Your cellphone free?[/QUOTE]

Ummm. No.

Follow the money, Warfish. You're smarter than this.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4463280]Ummm. No.

Follow the money, Warfish. You're smarter than this.[/QUOTE]

Are you even reading anyone's posts? :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4463303]Are you even reading anyone's posts? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Who made the $$$?

Poor, dirty, smelly scum poor people?

Stinky poor people. How dare they make cell phone companies make money off of themselves? What is wrong with them? They should be ashamed....

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Jets Insider VIP
    How dare those poor people use a program that was funded, lobbied and brought to fruition by cell phone companies!!!

They should be ashamed of themselves!

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4462935]What happens when they say: This program is necessary. Poor inner city people cant afford phones out there. They need a way to call police. Reports of fraud are overblown. It is only a small fraction of recipients.

You will agree wholeheartedly.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, but you can hold me to this if I do.