Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Maurice Sendak...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

RIP Maurice Sendak...

...authored what was the favorite book of my childhood, Where the Wild Things Are

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/Where_The_Wild_Things_Are_(book)_cover.jpg/300px-Where_The_Wild_Things_Are_(book)_cover.jpg[/IMG]

This book made such an impression on me it was one of the first I bought my kids when they were young.

ftr, my second favorite was The Red Balloon, a photo book of a child in France with a magic, for lack of a better word, balloon.

[IMG]http://shopexit9.com/images/products/detail/redballoon1.jpg[/IMG]

I'm sure you younger guys don't remember this stuff (maybe the Sendak book, I think they made a movie recently) how about the older folk?

...read 'where the wild thing are' many times to my kids and we've all had a Red Ballon...

Jets Insider VIP
    by age 8 I was already into my brothers stash of Playboys...so no....

Bewildered Beast
    RIP

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4462944]RIP[/QUOTE]

hate to interrupt this somber thread but I just noticed ur avatar...lol:P

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Peebag;4462946]hate to interrupt this somber thread but I just noticed ur avatar...lol:P[/QUOTE]

Only From The Minds Of DirtFire. [SIZE="1"]R[/SIZE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=jetswin;4462828]...authored what was the favorite book of my childhood, Where the Wild Things Are

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/Where_The_Wild_Things_Are_(book)_cover.jpg/300px-Where_The_Wild_Things_Are_(book)_cover.jpg[/IMG]

This book made such an impression on me it was one of the first I bought my kids when they were young.

ftr, my second favorite was The Red Balloon, a photo book of a child in France with a magic, for lack of a better word, balloon.

[IMG]http://shopexit9.com/images/products/detail/redballoon1.jpg[/IMG]

I'm sure you younger guys don't remember this stuff (maybe the Sendak book, I think they made a movie recently) how about the older folk?[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, both those books were out on my son's dresser this morning as I went to work. I remember the Red Balloon from growing up, and someone just bought it for him. And Wild Things is Top 3 in my house. Is Your Mama a Llama will always be #1 though.

Between Wild Things, Chicken Soup With Rice and In the Night Kitchen, I feel like we have a Maurice Sendak library. Considering its 2012, that's some pretty impressive staying power for the guy.

RIP

[QUOTE=Peebag;4462906]by age 8 I was already into my sisters stash of Playgirls...so no....[/QUOTE]

FYP

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Peebag;4462906]by age 8 I was already into my brothers stash of Playboys...so no....[/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/beating-my-meat-gif.gif[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4462964]Strangely enough, both those books were out on my son's dresser this morning as I went to work. [/QUOTE]

that's fantastic! :yes:

[QUOTE=Peebag;4462946]hate to interrupt this somber thread but I just noticed ur avatar...lol:P[/QUOTE]

Just noticed your LMAO

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I thought the recent movie version was well done too. Any thoughts?

RIP Mr. Writer guy.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    RIP.

For those of you with younger kids, he also was responsible for "Little Bear".

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbCANgpkGE[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4462964]

Between Wild Things, Chicken Soup With Rice and In the Night Kitchen, I feel like we have a Maurice Sendak library. Considering its 2012, that's some pretty impressive staying power for the guy.

RIP[/QUOTE]

Do you have the video "I'm Really Rosie"?

It's a Carol King narrated/song written cartoon version of Chicken Soup With Rice, Pierre, Alligator's All Around and One Was Johnny. We had it for the kids when they were really young and they wore that tape out. Might be available on Amazon.

I remember my mother reading Where The Wild Things Are to ME back in the mid-1960's :( , read it all my kids countless times decades later.

Good memories.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4462970]FYP[/QUOTE]

oh it's on...like donkey kong.....:steamin:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JStokes;4463099]Do you have the video "I'm Really Rosie"?

It's a Carol King narrated/song written cartoon version of Chicken Soup With Rice, Pierre, Alligator's All Around and One Was Johnny. We had it for the kids when they were really young and they wore that tape out. Might be available on Amazon.

I remember my mother reading Where The Wild Things Are to ME back in the mid-1960's :( , read it all my kids countless times decades later.

Good memories.

_[/QUOTE]

Yup - We have it. Or had it. We moved in September and I haven't seen it since. But that was one of Jonah's (my 5 year old's) favorite. I can't remember if we had the video first or the book, but whenever we'd read the book, we'd sing it. And trust me, if you think Carol King has a good voice, you ain't heard nuthin yet.

And I love Pierre. That dude just don't care.

Just makes you realize....there are some real bad ass children's books out there.
    Last edited by crasherino; 05-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Children's books and "programming" are bad for kids....

"Are you happy?"

"I'm happy!!"

"Happy happy happy happy happy".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4463211]Children's books and "programming" are bad for kids....

"Are you happy?"

"I'm happy!!"

"Happy happy happy happy happy".[/QUOTE]

I'm not happy with this new Sponge Bob obsession, I tell you that much. My lil one has been running around our apartment shouting "Whayd Shponge Bob go?"

I don't find the fact that he lives in a pineapple under the sea at all compelling.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4463211]Children's books and "programming" are bad for kids....

"Are you happy?"

"I'm happy!!"

"Happy happy happy happy happy".[/QUOTE]

ah, see you need to read the two I mentioned, monsters threaten to eat the child in Wild THings, and a kid gets carried off by balloons in the Red Balloon...it's only nowdays that we've become so touchy feely :D