Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets really did want Irvin and had trade in place w/ Pitt

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4463838]irvin may be better but both are liabilities against the run.[/QUOTE]

Hypothetically taking Irvin means we don't get Coples.

I'll take a Coples/Maybin combo over an Irvin/? combo any day . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4463818]When's the last time you've heard anyone complain about Maybin's speed? Especially his closing speed?[/QUOTE]

I'm not complaining about maybins speed. Stop being so defensive... I'm just talking about why Irvin is an intriguing prospect

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4463747]Yeah, Steelers haven't won a Super Bowl since 2009 (their sixth) and are beginning to panic.

Go away, tardbreath.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'm going to warn people anymore, posts like this will automatically earn bans for however long I feel like banning someone at the time.

I think 3 days should suffice for this particular infraction.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4463915]I don't think I'm going to warn people anymore, posts like this will automatically earn bans for however long I feel like banning someone at the time.

I think 3 days should suffice for this particular infraction.[/QUOTE]

Excellent, anything that eliminates moronic behavior I'm all for

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cant wait;4463906]I'm not complaining about maybins speed. Stop being so defensive... I'm just talking about why Irvin is an intriguing prospect[/QUOTE]
    I wasn't being defensive. I pointed out that the poster you responded to wasn't talking about speed. He questioned the need for another situational pass rusher and the off-the-field issues that plagued Irvin.

He might be intruguing, but I'm not convinced he would have been a good fit. Especially in the 1st round. Seattle may regret this one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4463973]I wasn't being defensive. I pointed out that the poster you responded to wasn't talking about speed. He questioned the need for another situational pass rusher and the off-the-field issues that plagued Irvin.

He might be intruguing, but I'm not convinced he would have been a good fit. Especially in the 1st round. Seattle may regret this one.[/QUOTE]

i'm wondering if the jets would have been more inclined to take ingram or irvin at 16, had he been there, if they didn't have maybin. maybe the jets think maybin is 'good enough' as a speed rusher that they didn't need to pursue another guy like that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4463986]i'm wondering if the jets would have been more inclined to take ingram or irvin at 16, had he been there, if they didn't have maybin. [B]maybe the jets think maybin is 'good enough' as a speed rusher that they didn't need to pursue another guy like that[/B].[/QUOTE]
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

And for some reason, I don't get the impression that Ingram was anywhere on the Jets radar.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4463986]i'm wondering if the jets would have been more inclined to take ingram or irvin at 16, had he been there, if they didn't have maybin. maybe the jets think maybin is 'good enough' as a speed rusher that they didn't need to pursue another guy like that.[/QUOTE]

I think that's possible. One thing for sure though, Coples' presence will help the outside rushers like Maybin ALOT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4463746]Looking at all the information, it seems pretty clear what happened.

1) The Jets didn't love what they thought their prospects would be at #16.
    2) The Jets had a trade set up with the Stillers in the event the board fell they way they expected it to. The Stillers would have been trading up for DeCastro.
    3) Irvin was one of the guys they felt would have been there at #24 and was one of the guys they would have targeted if they traded down.
    4) The Jets clearly liked/loved Coples but had no expectation that the would be there at #16.
    5) Once Coples fell to #16, any thoughts of trading down vanished and the Jets drafted the guy that they had rated very highly.

JMO, but Irvin going at #14 didn't stop them from trading down - there was no guarantee he would be there at #24. The fact that Coples was surprisingly available was the reason they didn't trade down.[/QUOTE] This is probably as good an explanation as you'll get. But I see it as a possibility ONLY if Coples was gone before 16. At that point the Jets might have liked Irvin, but didn't see him as a good enough value to justify a pick at 16...or felt he'd last to 24 and chance to pick up an extra 3rd would have made the risk worthwhile.

What I DON'T buy is the OP that the Jets might have picked Irvin OVER Coples. That make NO sense at all. Irvin's red flags were even greater than Coples. But the biggest reason is size and versatility. Coples is simply the bigger man who, if he works out, will be on the field all 3 downs. Irvin can do only one thing and that's rush the passer. Granted THAT's become a greater part of the game, but Irivin's value is still limited by that one skill.

If it had been between Coples and Irvin, the Jets (and most every other team takes Coples every time. Seattle obviously was "the exception that proves the rule"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4464003]This is probably as good an explanation as you'll get. But I see it as a possibility ONLY if Coples was gone before 16. At that point the Jets might have liked Irvin, but didn't see him as a good enough value to justify a pick at 16...or felt he'd last to 24 and chance to pick up an extra 3rd would have made the risk worthwhile.

[/QUOTE]
    Dude. That's EXACTLY what Crash was saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4463993]That's exactly what I'm thinking.

And for some reason, I don't get the impression that Ingram was anywhere on the Jets radar.[/QUOTE]

That's what's most surprising to me. It sounds like they were willing to trade down and pass on all the top OLB's and settle for Irvin. Makes you think Pittsburgh must have been offering a great deal to get to #16, or they really were not that impressed by this years group of pass rushers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

And for some reason, I don't get the impression that Ingram was anywhere on the Jets radar.[/QUOTE]

seems like the jets were definitely trying to match their board with draft position. at 16 they would consider coples or decastro, but if they moved back, guys like irvin were targeted.

as far as ingram, i think they liked him as a player and athlete but not necessarily as a pass rusher, and clearly, many other teams felt this way. the giants set the bar for drafting pass rushers and there is definitely a 'prototype'.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4463251]In 5 years we'll all be posting about Irvin and what a beast he is and how did we miss him.:D:steamin:[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so! :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if Ingram was in the range of Irvin - a guy they liked perfectly well and would be content to take at #24, but were hesitant to pull the trigger on at #16. Prior to the draft Tony was repeatedly saying that the Jets liked him. I don't think that was false despite the fact that Ingram fell, it probably just wasn't to the degree we all thought.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4464018]Dude. That's EXACTLY what Crash was saying.[/QUOTE]

:huh:

I guess I wasn't clear enough...and I numbered them and everything.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463240]Jets should have taken DeCastro just based on the fact that the Steelers wanted him.

They drafted Faneca and now they drafted the next Faneca.[/QUOTE]

Cool story bro.

The next Julius Peppers/Mario Williams/JPP beats the next Faneca straight up

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kotch;4463833]The difference between Maybin and Irvin is that Irvin has a great move where he fakes outside, the tackle adjusts, and he goes inside.

Maybin just does that weird loop thing where he gets thrown out of the play by the tackle, and then runs back around to sack the QB if he still has the ball.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you mean he has one of [URL="http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357900&postcount=12"]these[/URL]? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4463251]In 5 years we'll all be posting about Irvin and what a beast he is and how did we miss him.:D:steamin:[/QUOTE]

Just as likely he'll be out of football or in jail.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4464261]
    :huh:

I guess I wasn't clear enough...and I numbered them and everything.[/QUOTE]

Pictures. You forgot pictures. :O

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But general manager Mike Tannenbaum would not speak to the veracity of that report today at a 5K walk hosted by the Alliance for Lupus Research at MetLife Stadium.

"I wouldn't comment specifically except to say that we made a lot of calls throughout the three days about moving up, moving back," Tannenbaum said. "Pittsburgh is an organization that does a great job. Kevin Colbert is a great GM, he's a friend of mine. I think they got a great player in DeCastro. We're really happy with Coples."

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/general_manager_mike_tannenbau.html[/URL]

wait for it...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schadenfreude;4464056]I sure hope so! :D[/QUOTE]

Good Luck with dat:D