Thread: Going Green with LED lights!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Going Green with LED lights!

I had so much success with the Christmas lights that I've been giving regular LED lights a test drive. I've been replacing halogen floodlamps, 40 & 60 watt incandescents, candelabras. I'll admit it started out as a nerd "next cool thing" thing, but the lights are perfect and I've got a few different color temps (mostly "daylight" and "cool white").

I've got about 75-80% of my lights LED now, with a few CFLs, and the rest incandescent. I alos replaced about 5 dimmer switches to ones that support LED.

Anyone else doing this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been using CFL's for a long time now. Pricey but recouped.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What are CFLs?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LED bulbs are still too pricey.

IMO CFL is still the best route, until the prices of LEDs come down.

I hate "daylight", I prefer soft white.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Canuck's Football League dumbhead.

[SIZE="1"]compact florescent lights[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Great for the environment if you ignore the fact that they are loaded with mercury.[/SIZE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we can no longer get "regular" lightbulbs, and have to buy the new bulbs that are only made in China, and are a Hazmat situation when they break, then I will definately go LED.

edit; aren't CFLs the new bulbs I'm speaking of?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4463311]Canuck's Football League dumbhead.

[SIZE="1"]compact florescent lights[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Great for the environment if you ignore the fact that they are [B]loaded with mercury[/B].[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

All flourescent lights contain mercury. OI'll make the switch from CFL's once the price of LED's comes down significantly and they get some less hideous designs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4463314]When we can no longer get "regular" lightbulbs, and have to buy the new bulbs that are only made in China, and are a Hazmat situation when they break, then I will definately go LED.

edit; aren't CFLs the new bulbs I'm speaking of?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the only "regular" bulb you speak of that you can no longer get is the 100 watt incandescent. You can still buy other incandescent bulbs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big L;4463431]Pretty sure the only "regular" bulb you speak of that you can no longer get is the 100 watt incandescent. You can still buy other incandescent bulbs.[/QUOTE]

You can still get 100 watt incandescents and probably will be able to for a few more years. They haven't been taken off shelves - just not being mass produced any longer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4463435]You can still get 100 watt incandescents and probably will be able to for a few more years. They haven't been taken off shelves - just not being mass produced any longer.[/QUOTE]

eggzackly ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4463262]I had so much success with the Christmas lights that I've been giving regular LED lights a test drive. I've been replacing halogen floodlamps, 40 & 60 watt incandescents, candelabras. I'll admit it started out as a nerd "next cool thing" thing, but the lights are perfect and I've got a few different color temps (mostly "daylight" and "cool white").

I've got about 75-80% of my lights LED now, with a few CFLs, and the rest incandescent. I alos replaced about 5 dimmer switches to ones that support LED.

Anyone else doing this?[/QUOTE]

I cannot stand anything over 5500 degrees Kelvin in my home. Daylight is fine for an office environment, but not at home. I stick with 3500K-4500K Warm or Cool-White bulbs

The only problem I have with LEDs is that they're uni-directional and they can't be used in all aplications (ie. Optical Comparitors etc.)

They'll figure it out eventually and there will be a lot of money made in the lighting distributor business in manufacturing applications or in retro-fitting.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Banks81;4463769]I cannot stand anything over 5500 degrees Kelvin in my home. [/QUOTE]

poor kelly, so misunderstood.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Banks81;4463769]I cannot stand anything over 5500 degrees Kelvin in my home. Daylight is fine for an office environment, but not at home. I stick with 3500K-4500K Warm or Cool-White bulbs

The only problem I have with LEDs is that they're uni-directional and they can't be used in all aplications (ie. Optical Comparitors etc.)

They'll figure it out eventually and there will be a lot of money made in the lighting distributor business in manufacturing applications or in retro-fitting.[/QUOTE]

WTF?

Doesn't anyone buy the super pack of 30 60-watt lightbulbs anymore?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Banks81;4463769]They'll figure it out eventually and there will be a lot of money made in the lighting distributor business in manufacturing applications or in retro-fitting.[/QUOTE]

I work in manufacturing and lots of my clients are doing lighting retro-fits in their facilities. But like you mentioned, there are no distributors. Everything is done directly through G.E. and the like.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4463855]I work in[B] manufacturing[/B] and lots of my clients are doing lighting retro-fits in their facilities. But like you mentioned, there are no distributors. Everything is done directly through G.E. and the like.[/QUOTE]

Dildos?

[IMG]http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/pfftch_laughing_rage_face_comic_meme_postcard-p239401711817174763z85wg_400.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4463882]Dildos?

[IMG]http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/pfftch_laughing_rage_face_comic_meme_postcard-p239401711817174763z85wg_400.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:sigh:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4463900]:sigh:[/QUOTE]

I couldn't post that past enough :D