Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets restructure DE Mike DeVito's contract

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

DeVito to Restructure Contract

Vrentas dribbling out info on Twitter. Feel free to update w/more info if I don't get to it first.

I'm glad the Jets are keeping him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets and DL Mike DeVito restructured his contract on May 2, per source. He took a pay cut from $3.11 million to $2.5 million this season. His base salary is now $700,000. Signing bonus of $950,000. Roster bonus of $500,000. Workout bonus of $350,000. Trying to get to reason why he would do this.

[url]https://twitter.com/#!/BrianCoz[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4462657]The Jets and DL Mike DeVito restructured his contract on May 2, per source. He took a pay cut from $3.11 million to $2.5 million this season. His base salary is now $700,000. Signing bonus of $950,000. Roster bonus of $500,000. Workout bonus of $350,000. [B]Trying to get to reason why he would do this.[/B]

[url]https://twitter.com/#!/BrianCoz[/url][/QUOTE]

Probably because the Jets told him they'd cut him if he didn't.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. If he were offered the "take a pay cut or you're getting cut" ultimatum, I'd have to think he'd be worth more on the open market.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it sounds crazy,but maybe hes just loyal to the NYJETS. Glad to see this.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4462666]I know it sounds crazy,but maybe hes just loyal to the NYJETS. Glad to see this.[/QUOTE]

He's the type of player that would be loyal to the Jets and Rex. He's a class act all the way. Very happy to keep him! Our dline is stacked and deep!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Vrentas: Jets defensive lineman Mike DeVito restructures deal

A week after the Jets drafted North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples in the first round, veteran Mike DeVito restructured his contract.

DeVito had been scheduled to earn $2.26 million in the final year of the extension he signed in 2009. In a restructured deal he agreed to last week, he will earn a base salary of $700,000, fully guaranteed, according to NFL Players Association records.

The $500,000 roster bonus he already received this offseason, as well as his $350,000 workout bonus, are intact in his restructured deal. He also received a $950,000 signing bonus, making his total compensation this year $2.5 million.

His cap number, and total compensation, reduced by about $600,000. Since he is due a guaranteed $2.5 million, it is essentially assured that the team will not cut him.

However, the contract also includes a $750,000 escalator, based on playing time, so DeVito has the opportunity to earn his money back.

Coach Rex Ryan has already said that Coples, drafted No. 16 overall, will start, though he hedged a bit by pointing out that the Jets use many different defensive packages and fronts, so “starter” is a loose term. Still, it is clear that Ryan intends to make Coples a significant part of the defense, which could in turn reduce DeVito’s role.

“I know (DeVito) is a tremendous player,” Ryan said after the draft. “To explain his exact role right now, I don't feel like I can do that right now.”

DeVito originally came to the Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2007 and has been an important part of their defensive line. He played in 12 games last season with 11 starts, missing four games with two separate knee injuries. The Jets announced in January that DeVito had offseason shoulder surgery.

In addition to DeVito taking a pay cut last week, the Jets also cut defensive lineman Ropati Pitoitua, a pair of changes very likely tied into the addition of Coples.

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_defensive_lineman_mike_de.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/URL]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point on the open market he'd get no ore than 1 - 1.5. So he's smart. He's not starting on most teams, just as he's most likely no longer starting on ours.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the tough business side of football. With Coples coming in with a
    much greater upside Tanny probably gave him the "re-structure or get
    released" ultimatum. The upside for Devito is the majority of his money
    he'll get before the season even starts

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the bigger question is why would the jets do this. Is there somebody out there we're trying to sign that we dont have enough money to?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4462681]I think the bigger question is why would the jets do this. Is there somebody out there we're trying to sign that we dont have enough money to?[/QUOTE]

Could be saving $$$ to get the potential Revis lifetime deal done quietly

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a 2 down player. One of the premier run-stoppers in the league but absolutely zero pass rush ability.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He converted a lot of money to guaranteed money, at the cost of turning about $750K into a playing time bonus. I think it was a good move for both sides. He saw what happened to Ropati and knows that he's still one of 6 or 7 guys sniffing around the Defensive Line rotation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4462681]I think the bigger question is why would the jets do this. Is there somebody out there we're trying to sign that we dont have enough money to?[/QUOTE]

The minimal savings will probably go toward Coples' contract, but I wouldn't rule out a cheap FA OL signing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4462687]Could be saving $$$ to get the potential Revis lifetime deal done quietly[/QUOTE]

lol...oh man, we can only hope. But that $750K in savings for the Jets will cover about one half of a single game check for Revis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4462687]Could be saving $$$ to get the potential Revis lifetime deal done quietly[/QUOTE]

Or for a RT as roster cuts come in

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldnt mind it at all. The best defensive player to ever put on a NYJETS uniform. Get it done Tanne!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ComfortablyNumb;4462669]He's the type of player that would be loyal to the Jets and Rex. He's a class act all the way. Very happy to keep him! Our dline is stacked and deep!![/QUOTE]

This is the type of player that deserves to wear the captain's "C".....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4462694]The minimal savings will probably go toward Coples' contract, but I wouldn't rule out a cheap FA OL signing.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm incorrect I believe that Coples contract will be paid out of the rookie salary pool and no vet money saved can go towards a rookie contract just as no unused monies from the rookie pool can go towards a vet

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    when did devito become this DE stud? the guy was always one dimentional depth...and he is still that...who cares that he got to start.