Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have A Business?

Anyone Have A Business?

I'm in a dilemma. I just recently received my associates degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE). In Pennsylvania, becoming an elementary teacher is a mistake. My old man was an elementary teacher, and I always wanted to be like him.

Here's my question. My brothers and I have a house that we rent out to some folks, and we're thinking about selling it and opening up a business that we can run together. We're thinking about buying an apartment complex or having a beer distributor. Does anyone have a business or have an idea that I may excel in? Again, I'm still in school and going to for my bachelors hoping the economy in ECE goes back up. The only bright thing about that for me is school districts need male teachers, but I don't want to take that risk and think about getting laid-off when I have kids.

Thanks guys!

All Pro
    Get a government job then run you're business on the side till it is up and going and will support you full time.

[QUOTE=gunnails;4463356]Get a government job[/QUOTE]

Fixed

[QUOTE=51JetsFanInPA;4463354]I'm in a dilemma. I just recently received my associates degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE). In Pennsylvania, becoming an elementary teacher is a mistake. My old man was an elementary teacher, and I always wanted to be like him.

Here's my question. My brothers and I have a house that we rent out to some folks, and we're thinking about selling it and opening up a business that we can run together. We're thinking about buying an apartment complex or having a beer distributor. Does anyone have a business or have an idea that I may excel in? Again, I'm still in school and going to for my bachelors hoping the economy in ECE goes back up. The only bright thing about that for me is school districts need male teachers, but I don't want to take that risk and think about getting laid-off when I have kids.

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Whatever business you are interested in getting into, get some experience in the field before you invest money so you can see if you like and make your mistakes on someone else's dime.

[QUOTE=Maury77;4463363]Whatever business you are interested in getting into, get some experience in the field before you invest money so you can see if you like and make your mistakes on someone else's dime.[/QUOTE]

This is very good advice. There are so many businesses out there going under right now. I assume that you're still very young, so maybe play the field a little bit.

Practice Squad
    yes, its minding my own

[QUOTE=51JetsFanInPA;4463354]I'm in a dilemma. I just recently received my associates degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE). In Pennsylvania, becoming an elementary teacher is a mistake. My old man was an elementary teacher, and I always wanted to be like him.

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Do you not want to turn in job applications to other people's businesses?

Jets Insider VIP

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]
    Read The E myth revisited by Michael Gerber. Any one who does not, and opens a business, is at a disadvantage. there is a VERY measurable reason 4 out of 5 businesses fail in less than 5 years.

the book is about 10 bucks....... Takes a few hours.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4463379]Read The E myth revisited by Michael Gerber. Any one who does not, and opens a business, is at a disadvantage. there is a VERY measurable reason 4 out of 5 businesses fail in less than 5 years.

the book is about 10 bucks....... Takes a few hours.[/QUOTE]

Why not save him $10 bucks and two hours and let him know the big secret? :huh:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;4463389]Why not save him $10 bucks and two hours and let him know the big secret? :huh:[/QUOTE]

He was dead the WHOLE time!

All League
    So you're contemplating a switch from educating young children to selling intoxicants? How about selling intoxicants to young children? There's a whole set of free training videos. Just Google "Breaking Bad."

Hall Of Fame

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

No phucking way.

1. Hold onto your real estate. God isn't making anymore of it. The value will eventually go up. Now is a bad time to sell. Buying an apartment building is not a bad idea though. How extensive is your experience as a landlord? Renting a house to people is one thing. A multi-unit apartment building is another thing. Not as easy to run as you think.

2. Don't mix business with family. Also, most businesses fail.

3. Try to get a job in a very wealthy school district that has a strong record of passing it's budgets and as long as you are a good teacher you will likely keep your job and benefits.

[QUOTE=51JetsFanInPA;4463354] We're thinking about buying an apartment complex or having a beer distributor.
    Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Buy the apartment complex and put the beer distributor in the basement, rent to single 21-35 yr old women. :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4463414]Buy the apartment complex and put the beer distributor in the basement, [B]rent to single 21-35 yr old women. :D[/B][/QUOTE]

And allow them alternative ways to pay their rent.

:D

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463412]No phucking way.

1. Hold onto your real estate. God isn't making anymore of it. The value will eventually go up. Now is a bad time to sell. Buying an apartment building is not a bad idea though. How extensive is your experience as a landlord? Renting a house to people is one thing. A multi-unit apartment building is another thing. Not as easy to run as you think.

2. Don't mix business with family. Also, most businesses fail.

3. Try to get a job in a very wealthy school district that has a strong record of passing it's budgets and as long as you are a good teacher you will likely keep your job and benefits.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what I was going to say - 1 you're already in real estate. Don't sell, invest profits in more real estate. 2 - NEVER go in to business with family.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463412]Hold onto your real estate. God isn't making anymore of it. The value will eventually go up. Now is a bad time to sell. Buying an apartment building is not a bad idea though. How extensive is your experience as a landlord? Renting a house to people is one thing. A multi-unit apartment building is another thing. Not as easy to run as you think. [/QUOTE]

That axiom pertains to land, not buildings. Apples and oranges. And most things will "eventually" go up. But to pay your bills you need income now. Buying an apartment building...for this kid...sounds like a really bad idea for the reasons you outlined.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463412]Don't mix business with family. [/QUOTE]

Yep. Unless you're pimping your sister, bad idea.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463412] Try to get a job in a very wealthy school district that has a strong record of passing it's budgets and as long as you are a good teacher you will likely keep your job and benefits.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad strategy, although based on the content of the OP's post I would not, were I a betting man, guess he'll be a shoo in for teacher of the year. In fact, given his apathy I don't think I'd want him teaching my kids. Check that...I'm positive of it.

My advice kid, and someone else in the thread said it already, for the short term forget being an entrepreneur. Just get a job. Get some experience under your belt. Have some fun. Make the mistakes you're going to make. But if the job you take is teaching young kids, as the parent of a young kid, I would say do us all the courtesy of only doing it if you are committed to doing it well. Otherwise if all you want is a paycheck then do oil changes or work in a call center.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 05-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Take Mark Twain's advice. "Make your vocation your vacation." In other words don't choose a career or business venture based on how much money it will bring in but rather on what your passion is. Otherwise when things get rough you'll fold if you don't enjoy it in the first place. Love what you do and do what you love.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4463442]

But if the job you take is teaching young kids, as the parent of a young kid, I would say do us all the courtesy of only doing it if you are committed to doing it well. Otherwise if all you want is a paycheck then do oil changes or work in a call center.[/QUOTE]

:yes: Being a 14 year veteran of teaching and supervising teachers, glad you said this...

[QUOTE=Rhinobreath;4463455]Take Mark Twain's advice. "Make your vocation your vacation." In other words don't choose a career or business venture based on how much money it will bring in but rather on what your passion is. Otherwise when things get rough you'll fold if you don't enjoy it in the first place. Love what you do and do what you love.[/QUOTE]

Perfect

im in a similar boat man, i went to college to be a teacher as well and the market is just awful for education right now. The supply is WAY greater than the demand. personally im looking for a job in something other than education ie. sales, or i actually just applied to some insurance agencies, to be honest those are probably better bets right now than teaching and its somthing to hold u over till a position opens up at a school.

I wouldnt be worried about getting laid off as a teacher, things are definitely going to change with tenure soon, and they should. However once you get tenure, if you work to keep it you should have a solid job for the long haul.