Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We'll be 7.6 million under the cap...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll be 7.6 million under the cap...

after we sign the rookies. With June cuts right around the corner, we might get lucky if a quality tackle becomes available, thats how we got Pete Kendall a few years back. If they stand pat we can still roll that money for next year, but something tells me we're not done here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vernon Carey?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if they're making room for Mevis. How are we under that much, I don't understand.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Tanny look at his own history in the NYJ organization?

We can only hope Tanny learned something from the Pete Kendall/Adrien Clarke fiasco of 2007. You don't f*ck with the OL.

2007 - Horrid OL with a bunch of retreads trying to hold down the fort. Jets go 4-12.

In contrast...

2009 - Jets have a GREAT OL with proven commodities at each and every spot along the line. Jets have the number 1 running game for the season. Jets make the playoffs and the OL goes into the "zone". The unit plays out of their minds and steamrolls opponents. Jets go all the way to the AFC Championship.

Need I explain more?

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4463574]Does Tanny look at his own history in the NYJ organization?

We can only hope Tanny learned something from the Pete Kendall/Adrien Clarke fiasco of 2007. You don't f*ck with the OL.

2007 - Horrid OL with a bunch of retreads trying to hold down the fort. Jets go 4-12.

In contrast...

2009 - Jets have a GREAT OL with proven commodities at each and every spot along the line. Jets have the number 1 running game for the season. Jets make the playoffs and the OL goes into the "zone". The unit plays out of their minds and steamrolls opponents. Jets go all the way to the AFC Championship.

Need I explain more?[/QUOTE]

So you're saying we shouldn't go out and try to sign a RT?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4463555]after we sign the rookies. With June cuts right around the corner, we might get lucky if a quality tackle becomes available, thats how we got Pete Kendall a few years back. If they stand pat we can still roll that money for next year, but something tells me we're not done here.[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting your info? Jason has not updated his sheet to reflect the costs of the rookies yet, all he has in the minimum tender. For instance he has Jordan white with the same cap hit as Couples, IMO The jets have about 2.5 mill after signing the rookies and the practice squad.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4463555]after we sign the rookies. [B]With June cuts right around the corner, we might get lucky if a quality tackle becomes available,[/B] thats how we got Pete Kendall a few years back. If they stand pat we can still roll that money for next year, but something tells me we're not done here.[/QUOTE]

We can only hope.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4463574]Does Tanny look at his own history in the NYJ organization?

In contrast...

[B]Need I explain more[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like what's your point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=movethechains;4463589]Yeah, like what's your point.[/QUOTE]

That Brick, Slauson, Mangold and Moore are "a bunch of retreads" . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys $7.6MM is not a lot to be under the cap.

Tanny might be saving money for next year, depending on what our cap number is in 2013. With a few players getting raises, that $7.6MM might get eaten up which is why he is saving it, this way he could carry it over and not have to gut the team before the start of the league year.

Similar thing happened this year. Supposedly we had $8MM left over, but Tanny still had to restructure Brick b.c once the league year started, we would have been over the cap.

Now I think there are some contracts coming off the books next year. Brandon Moore and Keller. But some of that will be given to Slauson if they re-sign him b.c he is a FA as well at the end of the year.

Which really makes my question why they didn't address the OL in the draft. With Hunter under-performing (understatement), combined with Moore and Slauson entering FA after this season, the Jets are likely to have some more OL problems in 2013. They are pretty much banking on Hunter and Ducasse improving as well as RG2 developing. Risky business.

Then there is the Revis contract that will need to be addressed.

The money might be real tight the next couple of years.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463597]Guys $7.6MM is not a lot to be under the cap.

Tanny might be saving money for next year, depending on what our cap number is in 2013. With a few players getting raises, that $7.6MM might get eaten up which is why he is saving it, this way he could carry it over and not have to gut the team before the start of the league year.

Similar thing happened this year. Supposedly we had $8MM left over, but Tanny still had to restructure Brick b.c once the league year started, we would have been over the cap.

Now I think there are some contracts coming off the books next year. Brandon Moore and Keller. But some of that will be given to Slauson if they re-sign him b.c he is a FA as well at the end of the year.

Which really makes my question why they didn't address the OL in the draft. With Hunter under-performing (understatement), combined with Moore and Slauson entering FA after this season, the Jets are likely to have some more OL problems in 2013. They are pretty much banking on Hunter and Ducasse improving as well as RG2 developing. Risky business.

Then there is the Revis contract that will need to be addressed.

The money might be real tight the next couple of years.[/QUOTE]

I don't the cap looks that bad for next year. According to Jason's site, we're 4 million under the cap as it stands, and that's before the likely cuts of Pace and Scott which will free up another 15 million.

I think you're right though that Tanny is thinking about saving it for next year. Unless a quality tackle or safety becomes available, it will get rolled over. And definitely the days of us making big splashed in free agency are likely not coming, which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would the cap savings be (if any) for cutting Scott and Pace after the 2012 season?

I know Bart restructured. I think all of his remaining money might be guaranteed. I could be wrong. Same for Pace. I wonder if their contracts are back loaded with the guaranteed money spread out.

Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a lot of you who believe we need to sign sign sign players:

Up to a certain point, you need to sign and re-sign players, but you can't "sign" a new player without getting rid of the old position whenever there's a less than desirable performance. Furthermore, players need to play better......period. That starts with the coaching staff, and preparation.

It's not "we need a new this guy" or "we need a new that guy" all the time. How many times has a player gone to a new team and been a stud. That's indicative of coaching.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

In contrast...

Need I explain more?[/QUOTE]

No, you do not need to explain more. You are 100% spot on. I hope we get a valuable player with this freed up money especially at RT and or the rest of the OLINE. Its a major reason why I have turned on this staff for at least the time being. They seem to make the same mistakes that caused them hardship. How can they mess with the OLINE? It is unthinkable. You are spot on Maine, SPOT ON!..........
    Last edited by copernicus; 05-09-2012 at 08:12 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe the numbers in the OP are at all accurate. Jason and the beat writers (Jenny Vrentas) have all reported that ~$7.5m is [I]before[/I] signing rookies, which will cost in the neighborhood of $5m.

We barely have any cap space. It'd be a long shot to sign anyone that didn't cost the vet minimum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4463555]after we sign the rookies. With June cuts right around the corner, we might get lucky if a quality tackle becomes available, thats how we got Pete Kendall a few years back. If they stand pat we can still roll that money for next year, but something tells me we're not done here.[/QUOTE]

Your numbers are way off. Even with Devito restructuring and cutting Ropati, the Jets have maybe 2.5 million after rookies sign. To have 7.5 mil left AFTER signing rookies the Jets would have to be 12.5 million under before that, and there is no way they were that much under the cap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463610]What would the cap savings be (if any) for cutting Scott and Pace after the 2012 season?

I know Bart restructured. I think all of his remaining money might be guaranteed. I could be wrong. Same for Pace. I wonder if their contracts are back loaded with the guaranteed money spread out.

Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light.[/QUOTE]

By cutting Pace, the Jets will save 8,560,000.
    By cutting Scott, the Jets will save 7,150,000.

That's a whopping of 15,710,000. That's ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=51JetsFanInPA;4463757]By cutting Pace, the Jets will save 8,560,000.
    By cutting Scott, the Jets will save 7,150,000.

That's a whopping of 15,710,000. That's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Thats wrong. Cutting those guys does not save money, they cost money. If they saved cap space by cutting them, they would have been gone a long time ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4463610]What would the cap savings be (if any) for cutting Scott and Pace after the 2012 season?

Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html[/url]

Pace will save roughly 8M
    Bart will save roughly 7M

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4463854]Thats wrong. Cutting those guys does not save money, they cost money. If they saved cap space by cutting them, they would have been gone a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Cutting them today would save no money, since their salary for this year is guaranteed, and all you would be doing would be accelerating their unpaid bonus to this year's cap. Cutting them next year saves 15M in cap space. I'm not sure why the fact that the cap impact of cutting a player varies year-to-year should be surprising to you.