Thread: Mike Westhoff hopes NY Jets’ addition of kicker Josh Brown will create competition

Hall Of Fame

Mike Westhoff hopes NY Jets’ addition of kicker Josh Brown will create competition

Mike Westhoff hopes NY Jets’ addition of kicker Josh Brown will create competition with Nick Folk

The Jets' kicking job may be Josh Brown's to lose. A year after incumbent Nick Folk won a pre-season battle with Nick Novak, the Jets are looking for someone to unseat Folk, who made just 76 percent of his field goal attempts last season. Special teams coach Mike Westhoff admitted that it was Folk's job to lose a year ago.

It's a different story now.

Westhoff told the Daily News that Brown vs. Folk will be "at least as competitive (as Folk vs. Novak) if not more."

"This year, I don't think I'm going to delve into whether that is the case or not the case," Westhoff said of Folk having the inside track. "I want to create the most competitive atmosphere that I possibly can. Josh Brown is the best candidate to do that with. We want to have a viable battle here to see who's going to win our job and to get the best possible guy that we can put on the field."

Westhoff admitted that he wasn't thrilled that the Jets didn't upgrade the position by drafting a kicker.

"I thought it could have happened in the draft," Westhoff said. "There were a couple of guys I liked… one in particular. We just weren't able to do it. It didn't happen… (much to) my consternation."

Georgia's Blair Walsh, who was drafted by the Vikings in the sixth round, was believed to be on the Jets' radar.

Brown, who was signed last week after being cut by the Rams, made 82 percent of his field goals in the first eight seasons of his career before connecting on 75 percent last season.

"Sometimes you just go through some ups and downs," Westhoff said. "He had a lot of really good years. He fell off a little. I spent a lot of time talking to him about it. I have a very good handle on some of the things that took place and why he wasn't as efficient as he had been. Just issues… a culmination of things. I feel very confident that that's not a big deal at all."

"He just wasn't as consistent as he had been in the past," Westhoff added. "But he's a good, viable guy. Actually at this point in time, I believe he's the most viable candidate."

Westhoff also said that the team will bring in another punter to challenge T.J. Conley, who had an up-and-down season.

DEVITO TAKES PAY CUT
    The Jets restructured defensive linemans Mike DeVito's contract, according to NFLPA records. DeVito took a $600,000 pay cut in the final year of his contract and will now earn a fully guaranteed $2.5 million with the opportunity to make an additional $750,000 based on playing time.

Quinton Coples' arrival makes it likely that DeVito will play a reduced role.

All League
    "But he's a good, viable guy. Actually at this point in time, I believe he's the most viable candidate."
    Short of bombing out of camp, Josh Brown will be our new kicker.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Short of bombing out of camp, Josh Brown will be our new kicker.
    The only concern/caveat with Brown is he's always had at least 8 games a season in a dome

Veteran
    I love Westhoff and I think he is obviously one of the best, if not the best, SpT's coaches in the league. He devises great schemes on the kickoff coverage and return game as well as punting. Having said that I am not really so sure that he is all that great in evaluating kickers, both punters and kickers. We really haven't had all that great of a kicking game since I can even remember. From Brien, Nugent, Feely, Folk... Let's not doubt for a second that Westhoff was strongly pushing for us to draft Nugent. Also, we cut Ben Graham who went on to have a pretty solid career with AZ, and Weatherford who had a phenominal season last year with the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I love Westhoff and I think he is obviously one of the best, if not the best, SpT's coaches in the league. He devises great schemes on the kickoff coverage and return game as well as punting. Having said that I am not really so sure that he is all that great in evaluating kickers, both punters and kickers. We really haven't had all that great of a kicking game since I can even remember. From Brien, Nugent, Feely, Folk... Let's not doubt for a second that Westhoff was strongly pushing for us to draft Nugent. Also, we cut Ben Graham who went on to have a pretty solid career with AZ, and Weatherford who had a phenominal season last year with the Giants.
    Money was the issue... If we keep paying bottom dollar for those positions, we are going to never have a top option at those spots.

I don't have a huge problem with it to be honest. We save a bit of money at those positions and we get comparable production. Every team identifies positions they want to cheap out on and kicker/punter are two of those for us.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The only concern/caveat with Brown is he's always had at least 8 games a season in a dome
    Only the last few years. He's actually kicked more outdoors in his career than indoors and the difference between the two is well within normal variance.
    Code:
    Josh Brown
    		FGs	%
    Indoors		85/107	79.4%
    Outdoors	135/165	81.8%

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Only the last few years. He's actually kicked more outdoors in his career than indoors and the difference between the two is well within normal variance.
    Code:
    Josh Brown
            FGs    %
    Indoors        85/107    79.4%
    Outdoors    135/165    81.8%
    Nice work!

Practice Squad
    Josh Brown has the same amount of syllables as the kicker I would spit on if I see today. I'm a little worried.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 51JetsFanInPA View Post
    Josh Brown has the same amount of syllables as the kicker I would spit on if I see today. I'm a little worried.
    what kicker won't you be worried with?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Based on these quotes it looks like Brown will be our kicker barring a horrendous training camp. As someone not very enthusiastic about Folk, I welcome the change. I really hope Brown's poor season last year was an aberration or otherwise we won't be getting an upgrade at all. I wanted a kicker in the draft or an undrafted UFA. Oh well.

Glad we're getting some competition for Conley as well. He stinks!