Thread: Westhoff says Jets will have kicking battle

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Westhoff says Jets will have kicking battle

[B]Westhoff says Jets will have kicking battle[/B]
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2012, 7:18 AM EDT

Last year, Nick Folk had to beat out Nick Novak to become the Jets’ kicker. This year, Folk will have to fend off Josh Brown. If Folk can.

Special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff tells Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that the team will have an open competition — even more open than last year’s battle of the Nicks.

“I want to create the most competitive atmosphere that I possibly can,” Westhoff said, declining to say that Folk has the inside track. “Josh Brown is the best candidate to do that with. We want to have a viable battle here to see who’s going to win our job and to get the best possible guy that we can put on the field.”

Westhoff said he had hoped that a new contender would have come from the college ranks. “I thought it could have happened in the draft,” Westhoff said. “There were a couple of guys I liked . . . one in particular. We just weren’t able to do it. It didn’t happen . . . [much to] my consternation.”

Per Mehta, it’s believed that Westhoff wanted Blair Walsh, who was taken by the Vikings in round six.

Folk isn’t the only foot-using Jet who’ll have to earn a roster spot in 2012. Westhoff said the team will bring in a punter to challenge T.J. Conley.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/10/westhoff-says-jets-will-have-kicking-battle/[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't think upgrading the K position was one of the more pressing needs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The kicking battle should be a training camp barn burner! :P

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not only kicker, I would like to see an open competition at every position. May the best man win. Whoever gives us the best chance to win. :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;4464715]Not only kicker, I would like to see an open competition at every position. May the best man win. Whoever gives us the best chance to win. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Can't do that when the HC has already annointed rookies who have yet to play a down as starters for this coming season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just more proof to the degree that Mike Westoff gets it. He knows it's about the cream rising to the top no matter what. He knows you never give anyone a free pass. He brings in competition each and every year because he wants to keep his starters honest. He knows that competition brings out the best in everyone - including himself.

Perhaps, Westoff could make the Jets team better overall if he suggested the same path of attack to Rex Ryan? Get Rex to ALWAYS bring a savvy FA QB to push Sanchez to the point of Superstar or Ryan Leaf failure? Lets see how the kid can handle the pressure. If he cannot handle the pressure then he shouldn't be in NY to begin with. But, if Sanchez rises above it all and plays great? Then, the Jets their superstar QB.

How could that possibly be viewed as a bad thing????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nick Novak lost the competition last year and outkicked Folk during the regular season with the Chargers. He was also far superior on KOs.

I'm not sure preseason is going to tell you much about kicker variance in such a small sample size.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4464747]Can't do that when the HC has already annointed rookies who have yet to play a down as starters for this coming season.[/QUOTE]

It's ridiculous how much mileage one misconstrued statement can get. Rex Ryan, when asked, said he "expects" those rookies to start. And why shouldn't he? He had input in who the Jets drafted..... you don't draft someone that high, expecting them to sit on the bench. There are also multiple ways for someone to start..... special teams, sub packages, etc. If the Jets start a game in nickel or dime, a pass rushing d-lineman is needed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4464679]I didn't think upgrading the K position was one of the more pressing needs.[/QUOTE]

Regardless, is there any harm in trying? There's open competition at every position. Isn't the idea to continuously improve?

PS, kicker may not be a pressing need, but punter is. Get 'er done Tanny.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;4464768]Nick Novak lost the competition last year and outkicked Folk during the regular season with the Chargers. He was also far superior on KOs.

I'm not sure preseason is going to tell you much about kicker variance in such a small sample size.[/QUOTE]

Neither does comparing kicking in San Diego to kicking in the Meadowlands.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4464679]I didn't think upgrading the K position was one of the more pressing needs.[/QUOTE]

How can it hurt? Folk missed the most crucial kicks last year, so why not have a competition to see who the best option is to kick for us this year? Let the best guy win...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4464792]Neither does comparing kicking in San Diego to kicking in the Meadowlands.[/QUOTE]Novak was more accurate on the road and his significantly higher TB% would indicate a stronger leg. I guess you can continue to speculate though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;4464952]Novak was more accurate on the road[/QUOTE]

Like the three times he kicked in Denver, Oakland and Kansas City? lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;4464952]Novak was more accurate on the road and his significantly higher TB% would indicate a stronger leg. I guess you can continue to speculate though.[/QUOTE]

Oh good. So you got this thing down to a significant sample size of 8 games :rolleyes:

I bet that also has nothing to do with the Chargers playing 5 road games in good kicking conditions to the Jets two. :P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4464967]Like the three times he kicked in Denver, Oakland and Kansas City? lol[/QUOTE]He was 10/12 in those games, 2 from over 50. :huh: