Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: our 2009 draft - grade ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

our 2009 draft - grade ? ? ?

Grading the 2009 draft : Jets

The AFC East blog continues its series on grading the 2009 NFL draft. We continue Wednesday with the New York Jets.

Here were the picks :

Round 1 : QB Mark Sanchez

Round 3 : RB Shonn Greene

Round 6 : G Matt Slauson

The good : Despite few draft picks, all three members are still with the team and are starters. Media and fans have been critical of Sanchez, Greene and Slauson for various reasons. But you can't deny this trio cracked the starting lineup early in their careers. The Jets didn't hit home runs with these picks, but they did hit.

The bad : Questions still remain about this trio. The Jets traded most of their draft to the Cleveland Browns to get Sanchez at No. 5 overall. New York was convinced he was the franchise quarterback, but Sanchez has had an up and down career thus far in New York. Greene was better as a backup than a starter but did have his first 1,000-yard season in 2011.

Grade: B-

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/41984/grading-the-2009-draft-jets[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene and Slauson have both clearly outperformed their draft positions, so this will ultimately come down to Sanchez.

I think you'll be able to definitively grade this draft after this season. Could be an A, could be a C.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4464798]Greene and Slauson have both clearly outperformed their draft positions, so this will ultimately come down to Sanchez.

I think you'll be able to definitively grade this draft after this season. Could be an A, could be a C.[/QUOTE]
    agreed.
    it all depends on mark.
    hopefully ,
    at the conclusion of this season we will grade the 2009 draft an A+ ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You also have to factor in that the Jets won four playoff games in the first two seasons after that draft, and both Sanchez and Greene played a huge part in those victories.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jerricho89;4465234]You also have to factor in that the Jets won four playoff games in the first two seasons after that draft, and both Sanchez and Greene played a huge part in those victories.[/QUOTE]

greene was huge in the playoffs all that sanchez did was throw a few passes any JAG could have done the same with the supporting cast he had surrounding him........:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4465239]greene was huge in the playoffs all that sanchez did was throw a few passes any JAG could have done the same with the supporting cast he had surrounding him........:yes:[/QUOTE]

Good lord, you are like a horrible, horrible broken record. Seriously, I have never put anyone on ignore on this site before, but I think you might be the first. How old are you, anyway? 12?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shevys;4465275]Good lord, you are like a horrible, horrible broken record. Seriously, I have never put anyone on ignore on this site before, but I think you might be the first. How old are you, anyway? 12?[/QUOTE]

please do i don't care..............am i not allowed to give a opinion either or can only the cool people give a opinion.......nah i am alot older than 12 otherwise i would be on the sanchez bandwagon also but i can see he sucks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4465297]please do i don't care..............am i not allowed to give a opinion either or can only the cool people give a opinion.......nah i am alot older than 12 otherwise i would be on the sanchez bandwagon also but i can see he sucks.[/QUOTE]
    " . . . otherwise i would be on the sanchez bandwagon also but i can see he sucks. "

~ ~ he helped us make it to the playoffs his first two yrs in the nfl ;)

pretty cool ~ ~
    :cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4466213]" . . . otherwise i would be on the sanchez bandwagon also but i can see he sucks. "

~ ~ he helped us make it to the playoffs his first two yrs in the nfl ;)

pretty cool ~ ~
    :cool:[/QUOTE]

yeah so could have henne or mccoy with the supporting cast mark had......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4466402]yeah so could have henne or mccoy with the supporting cast mark had......[/QUOTE]

So could Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees ... I guess they all must suck too. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;4466648]So could Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees ... I guess they all must suck too. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

no those qb's would have won the superbowls the first two years.

henne and mccoy would have got as far as sanchez did.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4464798]Greene and Slauson have both clearly outperformed their draft positions, so this will ultimately come down to Sanchez.

I think you'll be able to definitively grade this draft after this season. Could be an A, could be a C.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. At this stage the 2009 draft grade should still be Incomplete. So much still hinges on whether Sanchez can be the franchise QB that we thought we were drafting 3 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's crazy but the most successful player out of that bunch is Matt Slauson. I could easily see dirty Sanchez and Shonn Greene not lasting another season with the Jets. Slauson should be around for years to come.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4466665]It's crazy but the most successful player out of that bunch is Matt Slauson. I could easily see dirty Sanchez and Shonn Greene not lasting another season with the Jets. Slauson should be around for years to come.[/QUOTE]

reading youor posts today... this + the one in the McKnight thread.... makes me think of the old saying from Woodstock: Stay away from the brown acid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4466665]It's crazy but the most successful player out of that bunch is Matt Slauson. I could easily see dirty Sanchez and Shonn Greene not lasting another season with the Jets. Slauson should be around for years to come.[/QUOTE]
    " . . . Slauson should be around for years to come. "

- agreed :)

p.s. Mainejet , hi :wavey: .... i hope the other two fellas are " around for years to come " also ;)

cheers ~ ~
    :beers: