Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LL umpire punches coach in face after game in N.J

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

LL umpire punches coach in face after game in N.J

[url]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/nj_little_league_umpire_punche.html#incart_hbx[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, will you be pressing charges against the ump?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    too lazy to click link, any mention of Eric?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the best part of the story....the in depth picture of the scene of the crime...[IMG]http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/piscatawayjpg-a2c17bb4b988958b.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To echo the new policy here -- Post the article, kelly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;4464976]So, will you be pressing charges against the ump?[/QUOTE]

I dont coach anymore and never gave the umpires a hard time. Try again fool.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4464989]To echo the new policy here -- Post the article, kelly.[/QUOTE]

Ok Richard sorry.

PISCATAWAY — Authorities have accused an umpire in New Jersey of leaving a Little League coach bloody after punching him in the face.

Piscataway police charged 21-year-old Dave Delnegro III with simple assault at a youth sporting event.

Coach Joe Bellamy claims the umpire attacked him after the coach questioned Delnegro for calling a strike on a pitch that bounced in front of the catcher.

The Home News Tribune of East Brunswick reports the umpire issued a statement through his attorney in which he claims he ejected the 40-year-old coach after he became verbally abusive. The umpire says he acted in self-defense after Bellamy made physical contact with him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4464989]To echo the new policy here -- Post the article, Jerry.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4464996]Fixed.

_[/QUOTE]

TROLL :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4464995]Ok Richard sorry.

PISCATAWAY Authorities have accused an umpire in New Jersey of leaving a Little League coach bloody after punching him in the face.

Piscataway police charged 21-year-old Dave Delnegro III with simple assault at a youth sporting event.

Coach Joe Bellamy claims the umpire attacked him after the coach questioned Delnegro for [B]calling a strike on a pitch that bounced in front of the catcher[/B].

The Home News Tribune of East Brunswick reports the umpire issued a statement through his attorney in which he claims he ejected the 40-year-old coach after he became verbally abusive. The umpire says he acted in self-defense after Bellamy made physical contact with him[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised the umpire wasn't shot. Seriously, this is the root of all problems in society these days. Poor caddying!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4465002]I'm surprised the umpire wasn't shot. Seriously, this is the root of all problems in society these days. Poor caddying![/QUOTE]

Its actually the mentality of the parents involved in youth sports today,whether it be coaching or sitting in the bleachers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    PISCATAWAY — Dave Delnegro III literally took his umpiring job into his own hands while calling balls and strikes at a Little League game between 8- and 11-year-olds on Friday night.

According to Piscataway police and Piscataway Little League President Frank Uhrin, the 21-year-old Delnegro punched Joe Bellamy in the face several times after a brief exchange during the second inning of the game between the minor-league Astros and Mets, played before approximately 50 fans.

Bellamy, 40, who coaches the Astros, did not strike back, citing the code of conduct. Police responded to the Little League complex on Sidney Road at approximately 8:50 p.m. and, after a brief investigation, issued a Simple Assault at a Youth Sporting Event summons to Delnegro. No Municipal Court date has been set. Delnegro is claiming self-defense.

“The first thing was to not get physical with him because of the kids’ sake,” Bellamy said. “At no time did I even think about hitting him back. I didn’t want to make it worse.”

Uhrin, who was at the complex but did not witness the altercation, said that Delnegro was “rushing the two teams to get on the field to start the game because the first game ended a little late.

“Joe (Bellamy) didn’t mind,” Uhrin said. “He understood.”

However, when Delnegro called a pitch that bounced in front of the catcher a strike, Bellamy went on the field to discuss it.

“Joe said to him (Delnegro), ‘You’re cheating the kids. Before he knew it, the umpire punched him four times. His face was full of blood and I asked what happened? He said, ‘The umpire punched me.

“I’ve seen bumping between guys, but never anything like this.”

The umpire has a different version of the altercation.

Delnegro, through his attorney, Jordan Rikards, issued the following written statement: “Mr. Delnegro was initially reluctant to umpire in Piscataway, having been previously warned about the unusually volatile nature of certain coaches and fans in that township.

“In fact, Mr. Delnegro’s father is also a little league umpire, and was greatly concerned for his son’s safety and well-being in Piscataway. Their concerns proved to be well-founded.

“Mr. Delnegro’s position is that on the date of the alleged incident, while he was umpiring, one of the coaches (the alleged victim, Joseph M. Bellamy), became verbally abusive to the point of belligerence over a call that he had made. In an attempt to maintain order, Mr. Delnegro ejected the irate man from the game.

“But rather than exit the field, Mr. Bellamy advanced upon Mr. Delnegro in a loud, aggressive and threatening manner, and actually made physical contact with Mr. Delnegro, such that Mr. Delnegro feared for his safety.

“Accordingly, Mr. Delnegro intends to assert self-defense should the meritless charge against him be maintained.”

Delnegro, whose father is listed as a vice president for Middlesex Little League on its website, has umpired just five games for Piscataway since the season started in early April. According to Uhrin, who has been involved with the Piscataway Little League for 23 years, this is Delnegro’s second season umpiring games in Piscataway.

“The kids were traumatized,” Uhrin said about the incident. “I talk to Joe every day. He feels bad, but I keep telling him it wasn’t his fault.”

The game will be replayed in its entirety on Friday and Uhrin plans to have pizza or ice cream for the players.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Who was it that gave the dissertation on youth sports?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4465014]The game will be replayed in its entirety on Friday and Uhrin plans to have[B] pizza or ice cream[/B] for the players.[/QUOTE]

Well which is it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to go punch my boss now so my colleagues can enjoy some pizza and ice cream tomorrow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4465021]Who was it that gave the dissertation on youth sports?[/QUOTE]

dissertation... youth... sports.... just had a terrible flashback to DefenseWinsChampionships

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4465036]dissertation... youth... sports.... just had a terrible flashback to DefenseWinsChampionships[/QUOTE]

lol, it was probably him, makes sense

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    All involved are shameful a-holes......both men should be banned from youth sports.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4465009]Its actually the mentality of the parents involved in youth sports today,whether it be coaching or sitting in the bleachers.[/QUOTE]

Not really. It's actually poor umpiring.

For $10/hour a 21 year old should know that a ball in the dirt isn't a strike unless it was swung at. And if it was swung at I'd punch the little leaguer in the face instead.

Parents should be allowed to curse and throw things at the umpires. It serves as a warning to the kids that subpar performance won't be tolerated. This is why the Chinese are eating our lunch in this world! Do you know what would have happened to that umpire in China??? He'd be BEGGING for a punch in the face.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4465036]dissertation... youth... sports.... just had a terrible flashback to DefenseWinsChampionships[/QUOTE]

That guy was awesome. I could never decide if he was a super-troll or real whigger Forrest Gump. Then he sent me the first and still only "JI friend" request I've ever gotten. Didn't even know they existed. Still, troll or mentally challenged, I'll always wonder.

Maybe he should get another reprieve?