Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Approves $310 Billion in Cuts, but Passage in the Senate Is Very Unlikely

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

House Approves $310 Billion in Cuts, but Passage in the Senate Is Very Unlikely

[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/us/house-approves-310-billion-in-cuts.html?_r=1&hp"]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/us/house-approves-310-billion-in-cuts.html?_r=1&hp[/URL]

[QUOTE]

WASHINGTON — The House approved sweeping legislation on Thursday to cut $310 billion from the deficit over the next decade — much of it from programs for the poor — and shift some of that savings to the Pentagon to stave off automatic military spending cuts scheduled for next year.

The legislation has no chance of passing the Senate or of becoming law. The White House issued a stern veto threat, saying the bill would “fail the test of fairness and shared responsibility.”

But the legislation’s prescriptions and priorities could define the 2012 Congressional elections — and are likely to affect the race for the White House.

Republicans framed the fight as a test of seriousness, saying their party was the only one willing to make the difficult choices necessary to tame the deficit. President Obama’s polices are “not working” and need to be changed, said Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, the Budget Committee chairman.

“We need to grow the economy,” he said. “We’re leading.”

Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, stopped short of endorsing the bill, but thrust it into the campaign debate.

“President Obama is trying to force $500 billion in additional defense budget cuts that his own defense secretary has called ‘devastating’ to our national security,” said a Romney campaign spokeswoman, Andrea Saul. “The president should take the lead in identifying reductions elsewhere in the budget to avoid these cuts, not threaten to veto responsible efforts to do so.”

Democrats said Republicans had become captives to a pledge never to raise taxes, foisting on Congress a draconian plan that “asks more from those who have less and less from those who have more,” as Representative Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, the No. 2 House Democrat, put it.

Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, the Budget Committee’s ranking Democrat, said: “If you say from the beginning you’re not going to ask people making a million dollars a year to help do a little more to reduce our common deficit, if you say you’re not going to ask companies that have these tax loopholes that actually incentivize them to ship jobs overseas to pay a little bit more, what do you do? Your budget has to whack everyone else.”

The bill’s political sensitivity came through in the 218-to-199 vote. Democrats were united in their opposition. Sixteen Republicans sided with the Democrats, and one Republican voted present.

“I voted my conscience, and I voted my district,” said Representative Mike G. Fitzpatrick, a Republican from suburban Philadelphia, who voted no.

The legislation contained a few of the details needed to fill in the broad strokes of the House Republican budget that passed in March. That budget instructed six committees to find at least $261 billion in domestic savings to avoid $55 billion in automatic Pentagon cuts scheduled to hit Jan. 1 under last year’s agreement to raise the federal debt limit.

To do that, the committees cut food stamps, children’s health insurance and Medicaid, eliminated the Social Services Block Grant to state and local governments (which pay for Meals on Wheels, child abuse prevention and other programs) and eliminated a new fund intended to help the government liquidate failed financial giants.

Of the savings, $23.5 billion came from Medicaid and children’s health care; $4.2 billion from hospitals that serve the poor and uninsured; and $33.7 billion from supplemental nutrition assistance. In all, about a quarter of the cuts would come directly from programs that benefit the poor.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that more than 20 million children would face reduced food and nutrition support, almost 300,000 would be knocked off the federal school lunch program and at least 300,000 would lose access to the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.

But Republicans said such numbers were misleading. For instance, many of those knocked off the food stamp rolls qualify only through an obscure rule called “categorical eligibility,” which automatically provides access if a family qualifies for any other federal assistance.

“That’s how lottery winners get food stamps,” said Representative Frank D. Lucas, Republican of Oklahoma, chairman of the House Agriculture Committee.

Illegal immigrants would be knocked off the rolls of families who receive child tax-credit checks because applicants for the first time would have to produce a Social Security number.

Both sides agree that the broad, across-the-board cuts scheduled for defense and nondefense programs next year are unwise. At stake, said Representative Darrell Issa, Republican of California, is “saving our men and women in uniform from holding wooden rifles.”

Republicans in the Senate will try next week to force the issue by using parliamentary rules to bring up budget plans that Senate Democrats refuse to produce. That exercise in part is intended to embarrass the president by bringing up his budget, which faces near-unanimous defeat.

But it will also put senators on record as being for or against Mr. Ryan’s budget, which has become a centerpiece of many House campaigns and is under attack by Democrats for its sweeping Medicare proposals.

[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep shove it up the poor guys ass and suck the big business and rich mans dick after all that is the american way.............:steamin:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4465607]yep shove it up the poor guys ass and suck the big business and rich mans dick after all that is the american way.............:steamin:[/QUOTE]

Wow,no more Mr. Nice Christian, eh?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4465609]Wow,no more Mr. Nice Christian, eh?[/QUOTE]
    to
    a real christian does not sugercoat crap to not hurt someone's feelings. I call them like i see them. I am not going to let someone or something walk all over me just because I am a christian and believe in the bible...........if you actually knew the bible you would see GOD did not sugercoat anything either and hurt alot of people's feelings which is why they executed his son for no reason. The so called christians that are afraid to tell you how it really is well those are the ones i feel sorry for.
    Last edited by ucrenegade; 05-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4465607]yep shove it up the poor guys ass and suck the big business and rich mans dick after all that is the american way.............:steamin:[/QUOTE]

Looks like you understand fiscal policy about as well as you do the Bible

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4465786]Looks like you understand fiscal policy about as well as you do the Bible[/QUOTE]

This is politics pure and simple. everyone woh took part in this vote knew that US policy was not involved.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Both sides agree that the broad, across-the-board cuts scheduled for defense and nondefense programs next year are unwise. At stake, said Representative Darrell Issa, Republican of California, is “saving our men and women in uniform from holding wooden rifles.”
    [/QUOTE]

Neither side is serious about reducing spending. One point that I do find interesting is apparently democrats believe national defense isn't good for all Americans only the rich.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4466043]This is politics pure and simple. everyone woh took part in this vote knew that US policy was not involved.[/QUOTE]

At this has what to do with the point of my post?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about we scale back both proposals. The $300B in cuts from the dem proposal (defense) and $200B from the rep proposal (entitlements) and add in another $250B in cuts due to reduction in duplication of services and increase in productivity enhancements to show that we are all working together and see the big picture? $750B in ACTUAL cuts not just a reduced increase would be a huge step in the right direction IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]WASHINGTON — The House approved sweeping legislation........

The legislation has no chance of passing the Senate or of becoming law[/QUOTE]

I've noticed a trend.

The House has passed alot of things.

The Senate has killed almost all of them.

So why is it that the House (R) is labeled "Obstructionists", why not the Senate who kills all the Legislation the House passes?

Doesn't obstruction mean stop via getting in the way?

Lol, Politics.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4466129]How about we scale back both proposals. The $300B in cuts from the dem proposal (defense) and $200B from the rep proposal (entitlements) and add in another $250B in cuts due to reduction in duplication of services and increase in productivity enhancements to show that we are all working together and see the big picture? $750B in ACTUAL cuts not just a reduced increase would be a huge step in the right direction IMO.[/QUOTE]

Can you share the research you've done on these cuts with the rest of us?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4465769]to
    a real christian does not sugercoat crap to not hurt someone's feelings. I call them like i see them. I am not going to let someone or something walk all over me just because I am a christian and believe in the bible...........if you actually knew the bible you would see GOD did not sugercoat anything either and hurt alot of people's feelings which is why they executed his son for no reason. The so called christians that are afraid to tell you how it really is well those are the ones i feel sorry for.[/QUOTE]

Please do not speak for "real Christians". Paul was persecuted WAY beyond anything you or I will ever endure, and all he said was "obey and pray".

Try reading Ephesians 4:29 before "the spirit leads you" to writing another righteous outburst . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get ready for it because articles like this will come out every time congress tries to cut a dime of spending. Take away free cellphones and liberals will say you are hurting poor people. Reduce the record 60 million people on food stamps and you are hurting poor peoples nutrition. Adjust entitlements and you are hurting old people. It never ends. Cut the head start program (costs billions and has been proven not to work at all) and you are hurting poor children.

Even completely docile spending cuts like Senator Coburns bill which saves 10Billion through reduction of fraud and duplication in government without any changes to government services is voted down by the democrats!!! It never ends with these morons and this is exactly what is going to sink our country.

Then we have some schmuck that actually posts here often talking about taxing millionaires more when that person knows that the buffet rule only raises revenues by 4 billion a year and that tax solves nothing.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 05-11-2012 at 10:59 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4466561]Please do not speak for "real Christians". Paul was persecuted WAY beyond anything you or I will ever endure, and all he said was "obey and pray".

Try reading Ephesians 4:29 before "the spirit leads you" to writing another righteous outburst . . .[/QUOTE]

that is talking about being corrupt as in lieing. I never lied just because i am a christian does not mean i can not have a strong opinion............it also does not mean I can't get in debates or share my view............it does not mean keep your mouth shut and ignore everything and everyone like i said those are the christians i feel sorry for............just because i am a christian does not mean I am going to bend over while people ram their fist up my butt. Actually in revelations it says in the end times Christians will be persecuted like never before but why let the whole bible tell you the truth when you can take the parts you want and make it fit your argument........................................oh wait that is how and why Christianity got it's bad name and reputation from the begining with oh well carry on.........:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4466616]that is talking about being corrupt as in lieing. I never lied just because i am a christian does not mean i can not have a strong opinion............it also does not mean I can't get in debates or share my view............it does not mean keep your mouth shut and ignore everything and everyone like i said those are the christians i feel sorry for............[B]just because i am a christian does not mean I am going to bend over while people ram their fist up my butt[/B]. Actually in revelations it says in the end times Christians will be persecuted like never before but why let the whole bible tell you the truth when you can take the parts you want and make it fit your argument........................................oh wait that is how and why Christianity got it's bad name and reputation from the begining with oh well carry on.........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I guess homosexuality really is a choice. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4465605]Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, stopped short of endorsing the bill...[/QUOTE]

Of course.

That would require having a backbone and standing for something.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1vQJFF2TKQ[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4466659]Of course.

That would require having a backbone and standing for something.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1vQJFF2TKQ[/url][/QUOTE]

This bill was to replace the the automatic cuts the GOP and DEMS agreed upon last year.

Keep the agreement.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4466616]that is talking about being corrupt as in lieing. I never lied just because i am a christian does not mean i can not have a strong opinion............it also does not mean I can't get in debates or share my view............it does not mean keep your mouth shut and ignore everything and everyone like i said those are the christians i feel sorry for............just because i am a christian does not mean I am going to bend over while people ram their fist up my butt. Actually in revelations it says in the end times Christians will be persecuted like never before but why let the whole bible tell you the truth when you can take the parts you want and make it fit your argument........................................oh wait that is how and why Christianity got it's bad name and reputation from the begining with oh well carry on.........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm all for reading the WHOLE Bible. Please find a reference that allows you to use the vile phrases you have in the past few posts and I will gladly discuss it with you.

Otherwise, please consider changing your avatar . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy War!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4466669]I'm all for reading the WHOLE Bible. Please find a reference that allows you to use the vile phrases you have in the past few posts and I will gladly discuss it with you.

Otherwise, please consider changing your avatar . . .[/QUOTE]

are those exact words used no, but their are many places in the bible where GOD/Jesus were very stern.

But if your going to cringe because someone says, ****, piss, dick, and ass then that is your right...........I do not think they are offensive to GOD in the way I used them............now if i had hate in my heart and were calling people those names or talked like a sailor everyday I could see your point.