Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The grass is GREENER on the other side

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The grass is GREENER on the other side

[url]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7916503/new-york-jets-wayne-hunter-santonio-holmes-clean-slate[/url]

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Right tackle Wayne Hunter said when he and wide receiver Santonio Holmes ran into each other on the first day of the New York Jets' offseason conditioning program, they forged a peace.

"I told him, you know what? Clean slate," Hunter said.

Holmes and Hunter blew up at each other in the huddle during the last game of last season. That loss in Miami meant missing the playoffs for the first time in three seasons, and there were questions about whether the combustible Holmes or struggling Hunter would be back on the roster. During the offseason, both got an answer from the Jets in the form of guaranteed money.

More From ESPN.com
    Making peace is all well and good, but if Santonio Holmes and Wayne Hunter don't play better it won't matter, writes James Walker. Blog

Jets blog | ESPN New York

When he wasn't cut at the start of free agency, Hunter's contract became guaranteed this season for $2.45 million. A clause in Holmes' contract kicked in as well over the offseason, to the tune of $15.25 million.

The rift between the two offensive players last season exposed a dysfunctional locker room and a team that questioned the ability of quarterback Mark Sanchez. Hunter said that Holmes has turned it around this year, from what he's seen.

"He's been great," Hunter said. "Santonio has been great. He's been doing extra stuff that people wouldn't believe, he's been doing extra with Mark. He's been doing stuff that he hasn't done in the past. He's been a team player. And it's been a good change."

Recently, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano sat down with Hunter and told him that he is the team's starting right tackle.

"Whatever happens on opening day so be it, but as of right now I am the starting right tackle," Hunter said.

Hunter came under heavy criticism last season, his first as a starter after Damien Woody retired. There were games where he clearly struggled, and he admitted that and said he was committed to fixing the issues. The criticism, he said, was warranted.

"I took the criticism that New York gave me and it's as simple as that," Hunter said. "If you can't handle it, don't play in New York is what I say. When it comes to media and the fans they have certain expectations that you have to live up to, and I don't feel like I lived up to it.

"I had good games, I had great games -- but I also had some bad games. Being the new piece of the puzzle with the offensive line, I didn't pick up where Woody left off, and my focus this year is to get better and I am going to get better. I'm the starting right tackle and that hasn't changed. whether people like it or not."

Matt Slauson, the team's starter at left guard, said Hunter is a team asset in a lot of ways, and supports Hunter in the spot.

"We all know in this room what Wayne can do," Slauson said. "Obviously we all want Wayne there. In our mind he's the guy -- if another guy comes in and takes the spot from him, good for them, but Wayne works his butt off every day. He is a great teammate to have on our line."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1qbxDWFEdyQ/T3EsJSz-Y6I/AAAAAAAAAEg/GV740dPmOPs/s1600/cruz.jpg[/IMG]

I thought this thread was going to be about fed-up Jets fans defecting to the Giants, wanted to learn the details, see if it was worthwhile.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4465620]I thought this thread was going to be about fed-up Jets fans defecting to the Giants, wanted to learn the details, see if it was worthwhile.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

have a nice life, you won't be missed :yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4465620][IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1qbxDWFEdyQ/T3EsJSz-Y6I/AAAAAAAAAEg/GV740dPmOPs/s1600/cruz.jpg[/IMG]

I thought this thread was going to be about fed-up Jets fans defecting to the Giants, wanted to learn the details, see if it was worthwhile.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Please, you first. We'll pack you a sandwich.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Who else would be lost enough to think this thread was about jumping ship to the Giants?

Or goofy enough to think this boring schtick will eventually become funny?

If he didn't piss away his last penny on his sound PSL "investment" he would have left SB Sunday!

Another reason to hate PSLs. :mad:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been all over Hunter but based on his statements here I really hope that he can turn it around as a starter for the NYJ!!!!

And now I also feel if the players on the team can forgive Holmes like this then everyone else should as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4465657]I have been all over Hunter but based on his statements here I really hope that he can turn it around as a starter for the NYJ!!!!

And now I also feel if the players on the team can forgive Holmes like this then everyone else should as well.[/QUOTE]

Winning cures many things CB except for being a SOJF....:yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread,Thank you to all those who posted...., keep them coming : )
    [img]http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/act.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/lk.jpg[/img]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Hunter suck most of the season but I always liked him. Thought he did great when he was the backup so I know he can play. And he really shows he's all about the team so he gets a check in that dept. here's hoping for improvement and consistency. But last year was a nightmare all around, so, as Hunter told Holmes, for me all Jets get a "clean slate" for 2012-13.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4465615][url]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7916503/new-york-jets-wayne-hunter-santonio-holmes-clean-slate[/url]

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Right tackle Wayne Hunter said when he and wide receiver Santonio Holmes ran into each other on the first day of the New York Jets' offseason conditioning program, they forged a peace.

"I told him, you know what? Clean slate," Hunter said.

Holmes and Hunter blew up at each other in the huddle during the last game of last season. That loss in Miami meant missing the playoffs for the first time in three seasons, and there were questions about whether the combustible Holmes or struggling Hunter would be back on the roster. During the offseason, both got an answer from the Jets in the form of guaranteed money.

More From ESPN.com
    Making peace is all well and good, but if Santonio Holmes and Wayne Hunter don't play better it won't matter, writes James Walker. Blog

Jets blog | ESPN New York

When he wasn't cut at the start of free agency, Hunter's contract became guaranteed this season for $2.45 million. A clause in Holmes' contract kicked in as well over the offseason, to the tune of $15.25 million.

The rift between the two offensive players last season exposed a dysfunctional locker room and a team that questioned the ability of quarterback Mark Sanchez. Hunter said that Holmes has turned it around this year, from what he's seen.

"He's been great," Hunter said. "Santonio has been great. He's been doing extra stuff that people wouldn't believe, he's been doing extra with Mark. He's been doing stuff that he hasn't done in the past. He's been a team player. And it's been a good change."

Recently, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano sat down with Hunter and told him that he is the team's starting right tackle.

[B][SIZE="5"]"Whatever happens on opening day so be it, but as of right now I am the starting right tackle," Hunter said.[/SIZE][/B]

Hunter came under heavy criticism last season, his first as a starter after Damien Woody retired. There were games where he clearly struggled, and he admitted that and said he was committed to fixing the issues. The criticism, he said, was warranted.

"I took the criticism that New York gave me and it's as simple as that," Hunter said. "If you can't handle it, don't play in New York is what I say. When it comes to media and the fans they have certain expectations that you have to live up to, and I don't feel like I lived up to it.

"I had good games, I had great games -- but I also had some bad games. Being the new piece of the puzzle with the offensive line, I didn't pick up where Woody left off, and my focus this year is to get better and I am going to get better. I'm the starting right tackle and that hasn't changed. whether people like it or not."

Matt Slauson, the team's starter at left guard, said Hunter is a team asset in a lot of ways, and supports Hunter in the spot.

"We all know in this room what Wayne can do," Slauson said. "Obviously we all want Wayne there. In our mind he's the guy -- if another guy comes in and takes the spot from him, good for them, but Wayne works his butt off every day. He is a great teammate to have on our line."[/QUOTE]

Wonder if Sanchez feels the same way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4465620][IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1qbxDWFEdyQ/T3EsJSz-Y6I/AAAAAAAAAEg/GV740dPmOPs/s1600/cruz.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Don't let the door hit your ASS on the way out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4465681]Wonder if Sanchez feels the same way.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez felt like this :eek::eek::eek:
    when he read that

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4465681]Wonder if Sanchez feels the same way.[/QUOTE]

I hope not... I'm hoping the idea of him sitting on the sideline doesn't even come into his thought process...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    Get lost

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Oh it's worth it. Lots of fun over there, once you get used to your new clothes and haircut. I'd ask you to let us know how it is, but once you're a Giant fan you won't be allowed to talk to us anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR I why?

YOu defend your decision to buy PSLs like you would your first born, and then this...............:eek: :rolleyes:

COME ON MAN

Im starting to question your LOYALTY to this team. Im beginning to believe its a status thing for you to have season tickets. :O

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4465739]SAR I why?

YOu defend your decision to buy PSLs like you would your first born, and then this...............:eek: :rolleyes:

COME ON MAN

Im starting to question your LOYALTY to this team. Im beginning to believe its a status thing for you to have season tickets. :O[/QUOTE]

Same thing I was thinking, hoping that's not the situation though... How can you condemn the team when the season hasn't even started?... I would think a lot of people would be excited about this season especially since Schotty is gone... Now we have a chance to see what our offense is really capable of... We know what the defense will bring seeing that they have ranked Top 5 the past 3 seasons...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4465739]SAR I why?

YOu defend your decision to buy PSLs like you would your first born, and then this...

COME ON MAN

Im starting to question your LOYALTY to this team. Im beginning to believe its a status thing for you to have season tickets. [/QUOTE]

First off, stop with all the stupid post icons. I'm tired of having to delete them in every reply.

Next, I'm a diehard Jets fan who's punch-drunk from the last 15 years of being close and especially the last 3 years where our lousy HC blew back-to-back AFCCG's.

Even if I do become a Giants fan, I'll still come to Jets games. I'll dress in blue, laugh as we lose. I'll get some satisfaction from this team one way or another. It's all good.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Hey...we got VLAD from UMASS. That makes it about even.:yes::rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4465935]Next, I'm a diehard Jets fan who's punch-drunk from the last 15 years of being close and especially the last 3 years where our lousy HC blew back-to-back AFCCG's.[/QUOTE]

We don't even get to the AFC championship game with that "lousy" HC you speak of... Anybody punch-drunk for 15years needs to hang it up and move on to something else...