Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USFL relaunching

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    The USFL is where I learned the art of Tailgating as a HS Junior and Senior.... Bring it back!
    I've been saying this for years, and I think it really has some merit:

The NFL needs to create a Spring league. Keep the uniforms the same, keep the stadiums the same, keep everything the same except the players and coaches. Let existing owners find new Spring owners to buy the rights from them.

I get really sad when the Fall Jets season ends in January. Would be excited to have a month off before rooting for the Spring Jets when they kick off in March.

We might even be the best team in the Spring, might be NFL II's elite team, might win the Mouse Davis Trophy in the Summer Bowl and everything.

In the end, we root for the laundry. America doesn't need another pro football league; it just needs more of the teams we already love.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

The NFL needs to create a Spring league. Keep the uniforms the same, keep the stadiums the same, keep everything the same except the players and coaches. Let existing owners find new Spring owners to buy the rights from them.

I get really sad when the Fall Jets season ends in January. Would be excited to have a month off before rooting for the Spring Jets when they kick off in March.

We might even be the best team in the Spring, might be NFL II's elite team, might win the Mouse Davis Trophy in the Summer Bowl and everything.

In the end, we root for the laundry. America doesn't need another pro football league; it just needs more of the teams we already love.

SAR I
    Would be cool as a sporting option...
    Mouse Davis Trophy.... who needs that when we are the defending Met Life Bowl champs....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Houston folded after the 1985 season and he was assigned to New Jersey. The league folded before the 1986 season kicked off, so he was only a preseason General, never took the field for us.

SAR I
    THAT is funny.

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    This actually makes an incredible amount of sense.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Somewhere, jr128 is feverishly masturbating.
    no this is just another UFL

the AFL Is better then this

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    The USFL just might be able to survive today, not kicking off in this economy maybe, the pool of players has grown 10 fold just about every school seems to have a football program these days. I remember when the USFL came out I was in HS my old man had General tix my buddies and I were amped to have football all year round, that changed quickly.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    No team in NY/NJ or Cali? BRING BACK THE GENERALS!!!

On a side note, i think herschel walker could still play. very serious.
    Given that he couldn't play NFL football back in the day, why would he be able to play today.

Jets Insider VIP
    In my mind, the most under-appreciated RB of all time:

ummm, ask a Vikings fan what they think of Walker....

All Pro
    it will be good to have a NFL farm league where players can develop after college, sometimes they need a year or 2.. college they maybe too young, arena football is garbage, canadian?.. and NFL europe... exactly

How many of these stupid wannabe pro football leagues are there gonna be?

It's not bad enough we have to live with garbage like the WNBA and MLS? I want a refund for my Real Birmingham Alabama season tickets.

No doubt there is room for spring football, if it is done correctly . I actually think Sar's idea of a follow on minor league program could do very well.
    The most difficult aspect of setting up any new sports venture is building up the fan base to support it with dollars and butts in the seats. The NFL has a huge advantage in both areas as both critical items are already on place
    Another area where the NFL comes out ahead is, TV coverage. With the existing contracts already in place and the game day experience of the regular season under there belts, who can do it better. This second product would allow other broadcasters who don't have chance at breaking in on the big league, a real shot at a slice of the NFL pie.

On top of all of that the clubs themselves would benefit by generating revenue on an almost year round bases. You know I honestly believe this could really work for the NFL and having given it some thought, I am quite surprised that they have not work this into there business model....

So announced last night the AF2 Will be back next year

so looks like the AFL Is not scared of this league

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by josereyessteal View Post
    So announced last night the AF2 Will be back next year

so looks like the AFL Is not scared of this league
    No one cares, virgin.

Hall Of Fame
    In my mind, the most under-appreciated RB of all time:

Me and the future Mrs. Stokes went to the first General game ever on Sunday, March 6, 1983 against the LA Express at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Gorgeous day, bright sunshine, Herschel Walker versus Steve Young, but the Generals lost.

Good times.

_

I would love to see this league. It will be a very high level of real football not a gimmick like the arena league.

I have no idea why the UFL went to playing their games during the season. when they are 15-25 games on TV every week. Playing at stadiums with free or cheap parking, $10-$20 a ticket, spring weather. Using College campus stadiums will even help the schools some.

Local Networks like Yes and NESN, or nationals like USA or the old Versus could be a source for cheap hours.

Best of all a game on tv where you dont have 60 commerccials. The game could come on at 7 and be done by 9:30
    Last edited by patman; 05-26-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    The only reason the old USFL died was because Donald Trump decided to put all his eggs in the "lets sue the NFL" basket and ended up witha whopping three bucks.
    Trump's ego often results in other people losing big money while he manages to get away with his routine.

The USFL might actually work if they market themselves properly and know where their strengths are ie non saturated markets etc and stick to the developmental tier