Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJETS QB coach speaks about Mark Sanchez

NYJETS QB coach speaks about Mark Sanchez

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-turnovers-poor-decision-making-ny-jets-qb-coach-matt-cavanaugh-article-1.1077377[/url]

I couldnt copy and paste the entire article,dont know why sorry.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4467275][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-turnovers-poor-decision-making-ny-jets-qb-coach-matt-cavanaugh-article-1.1077377[/url]

I couldnt copy and paste the entire article,dont know why sorry.[/QUOTE]

here you go

[QUOTE]
    For all the coddling that Mark Sanchez has received by the Jets organization in his first three years, quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh has never sugarcoated the truth with the young quarterback. After Sanchez's uneven season that included a career-high 26 touchdown passes and a career-high 26 turnovers, Cavanaugh laid out his goals for the quarterback, including becoming an effective game manager in Tony Sparano's new offensive system.

"There were turnovers that were not his fault that were credited to him," Cavanaugh told the Daily News in his first public comments since the Jets missed the playoffs at 8-8 last season. "But there were enough that playing that position he needs to cut some of those down. Most of them came from just poor decision-making."

"So I spent a lot of time with him talking about 'Let's get focused on managing the game,'" Cavanaugh added. "Taking the big plays when they're there (and) understanding that… even though it's drawn up to be a touchdown, not every play has to be a touchdown. Not every play has to be a completion. Sometimes throwing it away is a good thing. Sometimes taking a sack is better than throwing an interception."

Last season, Cavanaugh admitted that those themes didn't make an impact on Sanchez until the Jets finished the season in free fall.

"Sometimes when you have quote-unquote the success that he had the first two years, maybe it doesn't hit home," Cavanaugh said. "Maybe it's like, 'Hey, I thought I was playing pretty good. Yeah, I threw some picks and some of them were bad decisions, but we still got to the AFC Championship Game.' (Last) year, I think he became much more aware (that) it's a fragile business."

Sanchez had thrown for 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions before an epic three-week meltdown that included nine turnovers to end the season.

"When we were sitting at 8-5, he probably still wasn't questioning some of the decisions that he made that cost us a ball or cost us points or put our defense in a tough spot," Cavanaugh admitted. "When the season ended 8-8 and his last three games were not very good… I think it became much more evident to him."

"The things that we talk about can't be a 'sometimes' thing," Cavanaugh added. "It's got to be a mentality that you have all the time. It's not something that you just turn on and off. If you're free-wheeling on your own a bunch of the time, you may be winning, but at some point it's going to bite you in the rear end.… I think he understands that now."

Cavanaugh echoed Sanchez's sentiment that the Jets' starter doesn't need Tim Tebow, or any other quarterback, to push him to become better. Cavanaugh reiterated that Sanchez still has the requisite skill set to become a champion if he becomes more consistent.

"If you're going to be a really good quarterback, you're self-motivated," Cavanaugh said. "I think he believes that in his heart. He's as confident as anybody. He's as confident as I am that he can be really really good in this league, win a lot of games and help us win a Super Bowl if he stays focused, if he sticks to the game plan, if he manages the game at the right time…"

"He knows he has that ability," Cavanaugh added. "So I don't think he needs any outside forces to motivate him."

But does Sanchez have the mental fortitude to withstand fans clamoring for the ultra-popular Tebow if he struggles?

"I think he's going to have to," Cavanaugh said. "I believe that most quarterbacks who play really well consistently are not concerned with who's behind them. They're concerned with what's in front of them (and) what they want to accomplish. They know that this business doesn't look kindly on people that don't get the job done. Eventually, if you're not performing, you're not going to be playing."

"He knows regardless of who's behind him, who's on the roster (or) who people want to compare him to," Cavanaugh added, "He knows that he needs to play more consistently. That's the only focus I want him to have. Because it's too distracting (and) it takes too much energy to worry about other things."
    [/QUOTE]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4467275][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-turnovers-poor-decision-making-ny-jets-qb-coach-matt-cavanaugh-article-1.1077377[/url]

I couldnt copy and paste the entire article,dont know why sorry.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez has said the same thing after every game, always took the blame

Veteran
    Nothing really new from Cavanaugh here - Sanchez made bad decisions. Lets hope the oline can keep his uniform a little cleaner this year so he can make make smarter decisions.

Vinny T., had a bad reputation of being an interception machine when he came to the Jets. Parcells was able to get him to throw the ball away instead of risking interceptions. It transformed Vinny's game - I am praying for a similar epiphany with Mark.

I think (or hope) that the simplified reads in Sparano's offense will eliminate many of the mistakes.

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4467288]Nothing really new from Cavanaugh here - Sanchez made bad decisions. Lets hope the oline can keep his uniform a little cleaner this year so he can make make smarter decisions.

Vinny T., had a bad reputation of being an interception machine when he came to the Jets. Parcells was able to get him to throw the ball away instead of risking interceptions. It transformed Vinny's game - I am praying for a similar epiphany with Mark.[/QUOTE]

That, and that he have the freedom to run with the ball if a play breaks down. I know that can become a problem if relied on too much, but he's actually not bad at it, and hopefully it would take some pressure off him if he knew he could just tuck it and run.

Not to the extent Tebow would do it -- just an alternative to forcing the issue/throwing it away.

Maybe he's had that freedom all along, but last year it seemed like there were MANY opportunities to do so, but he rarely took advantage of it. . .

Nothing new, except the Sanchez apologists like to blame the online, while Cavanaugh comes right out and says most of the mistakes are mental and on Mark.

It also sounds like Sanchez didn't realize his mistakes were killing this team...

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4467300]Nothing new, except the Sanchez apologists like to blame the online, while Cavanaugh comes right out and says most of the mistakes are mental and on Mark.

It also sounds like Sanchez didn't realize his mistakes were killing this team...[/QUOTE]

1) Mental mistakes are more likely when you're getting pounded every other play

2) His mistakes weren't "killing the team" as long as they came out with the victory. This was a common occurrence his first 2.5 years in the league -- those last 3 games were a real eye-opener (hopefully) . . .

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Monsterxman;4467300]Nothing new, except the Sanchez apologists like to blame the online, while Cavanaugh comes right out and says most of the mistakes are mental and on Mark.

It also sounds like Sanchez didn't realize his mistakes were killing this team...[/QUOTE]

a true leader..............:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=OCCH;4467303]1) Mental mistakes are more likely when you're getting pounded every other play

2) His mistakes weren't "killing the team" as long as they came out with the victory. This was a common occurrence his first 2.5 years in the league -- those last 3 games were a real eye-opener (hopefully) . . .[/QUOTE]

Statistically the Jets line was average last year vs. being the best/top 3 in 2009 and 2010. The statistics also show that Sanchez was the worst QB in the league throwing under pressure.

In today's NFL, where qb's are throwing 5k yards.. any time your qb is not helping you win, they are hurting the team, and when your qb is routinely throwing pick 6's... Well he's doing a lot more than hurting IMO.

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4467313]Statistically the Jets line was average last year vs. being the best/top 3 in 2009 and 2010. The statistics also show that Sanchez was the worst QB in the league throwing under pressure.

In today's NFL, where qb's are throwing 5k yards.. any time your qb is not helping you win, they are hurting the team, and when your qb is routinely throwing pick 6's... Well he's doing a lot more than hurting IMO.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the games? Did you think he "statistically" went through an "average" amount of crushing hits?

Who knows, maybe you're right -- I'm far from a student of the game. But I'm also not ready to give up on a guy whose "horrible" year still almost got us in the playoffs.

I know it sounds like I'm a Sanchez apologist, but I honestly could care less who our QB is as long as he takes us to the promised land. I just know how hard it is to find such a guy, so until I'm SURE he's not the one, I'm gonna back him more than I bash him . . .

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Simply begin to progress forward.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4467315]Did you watch the games? Did you think he "statistically" went through an "average" amount of crushing hits?

Who knows, maybe you're right -- I'm far from a student of the game. But I'm also not ready to give up on a guy whose "horrible" year still almost got us in the playoffs.

I know it sounds like I'm a Sanchez apologist, but I honestly could care less who our QB is as long as he takes us to the promised land. I just know how hard it is to find such a guy, so until I'm SURE he's not the one, I'm gonna back him more than I bash him . . .[/QUOTE]

that is the major difference we are sure based on how he has been playing for 3 years.............now if a light switch comes on great but that happens very rarely and people need to stop comparing him to eli is light years ahead of him in college and everywhere else ,sanchez just benefited from having stud help in college and in the pros his first two years.

Eli would have won the SB's if he had the support mark had those first two years.

[QUOTE=OCCH;4467315]Did you watch the games? Did you think he "statistically" went through an "average" amount of crushing hits?

I know it sounds like I'm a Sanchez apologist, but I honestly could care less who our QB is as long as he takes us to the promised land. I just know how hard it is to find such a guy, so until I'm SURE he's not the one, I'm gonna back him more than I bash him . . .[/QUOTE]

All qb's take big hits, the good ones bounce back.
    I don't see a direct correlation with taking a hit and then throwing a pick 6 td while not being under any pressure.

I'm not done with hoping he will be ok. I just don't like to hear people giving him a pass, or placing blame elsewhere when his own coaches are saying HE needs to play better.

[quote]Sanchez had thrown for 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions before an epic three-week meltdown that included nine turnovers to end the season.[/quote]

This is an amazing stat. To me, it exemplifies my own opinion that the implosion by the team last year was even more due to team issues, players not performing, not running their routes hard enough, not blocking hard enough, not buying into the offensive system, not doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, because maybe they were frustrated. Link this with the comments by players already in the last week, with players commenting on the system change, we are getting comments like "It's night and day," "less verbiage," "less confusing." We also saw comments that players thought the the game calling and formations became too predictable.

All of this to me, isn't solely on Sanchez, it also gives me even confidence Sanchez can outgrow his inconsistencies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4467313]Statistically the Jets line was average last year vs. being the best/top 3 in 2009 and 2010. [/QUOTE]

Just curious but what statistics are you looking at?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4467332]This is an amazing stat. To me, it exemplifies my own opinion that the implosion by the team last year was even more due to team issues, players not performing, not running their routes hard enough, not blocking hard enough, not buying into the offensive system, not doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, because maybe they were frustrated. Link this with the comments by players already in the last week, with players commenting on the system change, we are getting comments like "It's night and day," "less verbiage," "less confusing." We also saw comments that players thought the the game calling and formations became too predictable.

All of this to me, isn't solely on Sanchez, it also gives me even confidence Sanchez can outgrow his inconsistencies.[/QUOTE]

Posters keep conveniently forgetting that by the Jets player's own admissions Holmes had quit in the last three games.

Hmmmmm could Holmes having quit on the team have had an effect on the passing game?

What do folks think is going to happen when your "No.1 WR" doesn't show up for the 3 games?:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=ucrenegade;4467319]that is the major difference we are sure based on how he has been playing for 3 years.............now if a light switch comes on great but that happens very rarely and people need to stop comparing him to eli is light years ahead of him in college and everywhere else ,sanchez just benefited from having stud help in college and in the pros his first two years.

Eli would have won the SB's if he had the support mark had those first two years.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez has virtually the same stats Eli did after Eli's first 3 seasons in the NFL, yet another theory that blows up in your agenda driven charade.

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4467341]Posters keep conveniently forgetting that by the Jets player's own admissions Holmes had quit in the last three games.

Hmmmmm could Holmes having quit on the team have had an effect on the passing game?

What do folks think is going to happen when your "No.1 WR" doesn't show up for the 3 games?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

Just one of the many reasons.

Some guys take a pounding and sulk, some don't.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7Q01821q-Hg[/url]