Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Summertime is here--time for grilled shrimp

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

How would cilantro do in that dish instead of parsley? I'm a cilantro-nut....I could put it in everything, but I wouldn't want to mess with the integrity of the dish as sometimes its simply not appropriate.

But that looks great. There are two things I'm competent with (besides simple burgers and dogs)....skirt steak and shrimp. Basically, I can function, culinary wise, in a parking lot or on a deck. That's it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4467481]I thought Penny was gcherd's dog?[/QUOTE]

Well, I did name her after Chad P. :O

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4467564]Well, I did name her after Chad P. :O

_[/QUOTE]
    She has bad shoulders?

Sorry bro.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4467540]Ted? With the zhang eye?

He does good work.

_[/QUOTE]

I actually have no idea - yard was fully landscaped when I bought the place not too long ago. Whoever did it had done a real nice job. I just try to keep it maintained as best I can.

Thats a great looking sauce, I may have to steal that for my own slightly modified use (i.e. Vegetarian, i.e. no Shrimps).

Thanks for sharing Stokesey.:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4467546]How would cilantro do in that dish instead of parsley? I'm a cilantro-nut....I could put it in everything, but I wouldn't want to mess with the integrity of the dish as sometimes its simply not appropriate.

But that looks great. There are two things I'm competent with (besides simple burgers and dogs)....skirt steak and shrimp. Basically, I can function, culinary wise, in a parking lot or on a deck. That's it.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Would totally overpower the shallot/butter/lemon/thyme flavor. The parsely is just a subtle hint at the end.

And I'm a cilantro fan, just woudn't do it. This is more of a scampi, if I was making shrimp tacos maybe.

Do you use a grill pan for your skirt steak?

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4467565]She has bad shoulders?

Sorry bro.[/QUOTE]

Let's put it this way, she's no Rhodes Scholar candidate.

And don't think I'm talking out of school here, I've told her that to her face multiple times.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4467572]Thats a great looking sauce, I may have to steal that for my own slightly modified use (i.e. Vegetarian, i.e. no Shrimps).

Thanks for sharing Stokesey.:D[/QUOTE]

I would imagine you could modify it and use triangle cuts of tofu--get a nice sear on them and introduce THEM to the saute.

Well, 'allo bean curd--into the pond with you mate.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JStokes;4467575]Absolutely not. Would totally overpower the shallot/butter/lemon/thyme flavor. The parsely is just a subtle hint at the end.

And I'm a cilantro fan, just woudn't do it. This is more of a scampi, if I was making shrimp tacos maybe.

Do you use a grill pan for your skirt steak?

_[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured - which is why I asked. There's a time and place for everything.

When I do the skirt steak inside, I use a grill pan. I haven't yet bought a grill for our new place, which I need to do. The best I can do is an electric grill (for our balcony), which while clearly not the same as charcoal or propane, is the best I can do under the circumstances.

This is perhaps the only recipe I have worth sharing....I marinade the steak in:

soy
    olive oil
    garlic
    ginger
    shallots
    honey (or brown sugar)
    lime
    srichacha (I used to use red pepper flakes - any bit of heat will do)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4467565]She has bad shoulders?

Sorry bro.[/QUOTE]

good thing he didn't name her after Bo Jackson - bad hips are not good on a dog.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4467592]

When I do the skirt steak inside, I use a grill pan.

[/QUOTE]

No, I meant one of those ghey grill pans you put on an outdoor grill.

Never mind, you missed the moment.

_

[QUOTE=Jets Things;4467386]Maybe I'm drunk and not picking up on sarcasm, but my post was before yours so maybe you should scan the board. Or add something moronic like "[B]this guy gets it[/B]. "[/QUOTE]

HEY!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4467592]

This is perhaps the only recipe I have worth sharing....I marinade the steak in:

soy
    olive oil
    garlic
    ginger
    shallots
    honey (or brown sugar)
    lime
    srichacha (I used to use red pepper flakes - any bit of heat will do)[/QUOTE]

Looks nice.

Love brown sugar in my marinades :yes:

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4467583]I would imagine you could modify it and use triangle cuts of tofu--get a nice sear on them and introduce THEM to the saute.

Well, 'allo bean curd--into the pond with you mate.

_[/QUOTE]

There is actually a comercially available "Veggie Shrimp" thats not horribad in the right applications.

But for this, I'd go with a Veggie Fry-chicken I've found that is really the best of the best when it comes to "Fake meat for use in a sauced application". Has the right mouth feel, takes a fry pretty well, chars up pretty good, perfect sized chucks for meals of the chucks of sauced stuff on pasta/rice genre.

of course, as a non-grill guy, I'd make mine in the house on the stovetop, but honestly I don't think that would take anythign away from the awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4467602]There is actually a comercially available "Veggie Shrimp" thats not horribad in the right applications.

But for this, I'd go with a Veggie Fry-chicken I've found that is really the best of the best when it comes to "Fake meat for use in a sauced application". Has the right mouth feel, takes a fry pretty well, chars up pretty good, perfect sized chucks for meals of the chucks of sauced stuff on pasta/rice genre.

of course, as a non-grill guy, I'd make mine in the house on the stovetop, but honestly I don't think that would take anythign away from the awesome.[/QUOTE]

It really is all about the sauce. Ordinarily I serve this dish as an appetizer on a big platter with a baguette or loaf of french bread lightly toasted on the grill.

Folks can't wait till the shrimp is gone so you can break off pieces of the bread and soak up the sauce.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont eat shrimp.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;4467626]I dont eat shrimp.[/QUOTE]

What about Dick Heads?

:D

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JStokes;4467596]No, I meant one of those ghey grill pans you put on an outdoor grill.

Never mind, you missed the moment.

_[/QUOTE]

I went back and checked - your buddy referred to it as a "grilling basket". Considering what an articulate gentleman you are, I gave your credit for meaning what you say...or write.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4467729]I went back and checked - [B]your buddy [/B]referred to it as a "grilling basket". Considering what an articulate gentleman you are, I gave your credit for meaning what you say...or write.[/QUOTE]

You're personal attack has been reported.

_

Banned
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4467592][B]The best I can do is an electric grill [/B](for our balcony), which while clearly not the same as charcoal or propane, is the best I can do under the circumstances.
    [/QUOTE]

Same here. I live in a condo. No open flame grills. I highly recommend getting this electric grill:

[URL="http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=203079919&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&locStoreNum=159&cm_mmc=SEM|G|STO|DSK|D28I|Grills|ModelNumbers|Weber|LongTail&skwcid=TC|14775|weber%20q%20140%20electric%20grill||S|e|21912520181"]http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=203079919&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&locStoreNum=159&cm_mmc=SEM|G|STO|DSK|D28I|Grills|ModelNumbers|Weber|LongTail&skwcid=TC|14775|weber%20q%20140%20electric%20grill||S|e|21912520181[/URL]

I've tried two other outdoor grills, and both were sh!t. For an electric grill, this one is excellent. It's a bit expensive but totally worth it. Get the stand for it and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 05-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.