Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinncinati Bengals show great interest in Braylon Edwards

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4467690]When will it stop? We have three 6'3"+ WRs that run sub 4.4 40s, and atleast 2 of them are known to be good blockers Hill, Schillens. Why on Earth would the FO (the same FO that didn't want him last year) want to pursue him this year? I liked what BE did for us as much as the next guy, and I thought we should've signed him rather than Holmes, but that ship has sailed.[/QUOTE]

Because one of those guys is not an NFL caliber receiver even when healthy (which he never is), and the other one by all accounts is an extremely raw rookie. So if you are okay with Santonio Holmes getting triple covered on every play then I guess we are fine. Or maybe you are one of the handful of fans on this board who after witnessing Kerley play last season think he is the second coming of Jerry Rice.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Braylon Edwards was quite possibly the best player on our O in 2010. Beastliest season we have seen from a Jets WR in a long time as far as I am concerned. How quickly people forget.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4467977]ANd if cows had wings they could fly.

Your point?

Anyone signed adds depth, that's the definition of depth. Can he play?

He hasnt shown anything in over a year.[/QUOTE]
    What has Schilens shown in 4 NFL seasons? Patrick Turner? Scotty McKnight? Hill is a rookie with a rather small body of work but great athleticism. Jordan is an unknown commodity at this point as well.

Maybe you're comfortable with that, but some of us aren't.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;4467994]Because one of those guys is not an NFL caliber receiver even when healthy (which he never is), and the other one by all accounts is an extremely raw rookie. So if you are okay with Santonio Holmes getting triple covered on every play then I guess we are fine. Or maybe you are one of the handful of fans on this board who after witnessing Kerley play last season think he is the second coming of Jerry Rice.[/QUOTE]
    Pretty much agree here.

I can't believe the unsubstantiated excitement over the current WR situation. The NFL is now a PASSING league. We do not have a proven crop of talented WR's. We have potential. Potential doesn't win Super Bowls.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=yanks9596;4468028]Braylon Edwards was quite possibly the best player on our O in 2010. Beastliest season we have seen from a Jets WR in a long time as far as I am concerned. How quickly people forget.[/QUOTE]

Except that he wasn't even our best WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4468045]Potential doesn't win Super Bowls.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thats a cheesy cliche.:D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4468044]What has Schilens shown in 4 NFL seasons? Patrick Turner? Scotty McKnight? Hill is a rookie with a rather small body of work but great athleticism. Jordan is an unknown commodity at this point as well.

Maybe you're comfortable with that, but some of us aren't.[/QUOTE]

Here's a clue Jordy.

We were talking depth. By DEFINITION they are all depth players.

You want to ask what have they done, their body of work?

Am I comfortable? Why, how did that get into the conversation over depth? The concept of depth apparently went over your head.

Jeez, is there any point you wont argue?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4468073]Except that he wasn't even our best WR.[/QUOTE]

Sheer and utter nonsense. Total baloney. Are you saying that the perennial 50 catch 600 yard malcontent quitter called 'Tone' made more big plays than Edwards?

Funny how every single downfield big play left when Edwards left. Oh yeah it is all because of Wayne Hunter. :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4467982]Pure and utter nonsense.

What else did Holmes do, invent cancer?

The Jets made the right move, how can you people keep arguing the point? BE wanted Holmes money, the jets weren't giving that money to BE, they didn't think he was worth it.

That he signed for peanuts and was released because he wasn't worth the peanuts he was making says they knew what they were talking about.[/QUOTE]

Jets absolutely did the wrong move letting Braylon go. Holmes should have left and we kept Braylon our offense would have been light years better.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4468084]Sheer and utter nonsense. Total baloney. Are you saying that the perennial 50 catch 600 yard malcontent quitter called 'Tone' made more big plays than Edwards?

Funny how every single downfield big play left when Edwards left. Oh yeah it is all because of Wayne Hunter. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Holmes was much better, no matter how much you hate him for last season.

He made the catch that won the Denver game.

He made the catch that won the Cleveland game.

Detroit.

Houston.

Yeah, no big catches. Come on, you don't like him but wake up.

Big plays left last season because we had one WR and he was doubled every time he lined up. When we had BE that didn't happen.

And of course the line play and run game was completely different last season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4468088]Jets absolutely did the wrong move letting Braylon go. Holmes should have left and we kept Braylon our offense would have been light years better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because those 180 yards that Edwards put up would have looked good here last season. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4468078]Here's a clue Jordy.

We were talking depth. By DEFINITION they are all depth players.

You want to ask what have they done, their body of work?

Am I comfortable? Why, how did that get into the conversation over depth? The concept of depth apparently went over your head.

Jeez, is there any point you wont argue?[/QUOTE]

Himself?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WR position debate this year is a unique one

I'd love to know the Jets reasons for not wanting to bring back Braylon, and I agree with some, Holmes is our best WR, but Edwards helps that to happen. Burress didn't do this last year, and that's one of the bigger reasons why Holmes and the passing offense had its problems.

That said, I think Schilens is a very interesting player, he has the kind of upside ability to really surprise, and he DOES have SOME experience, he isn't coming here raw. I have no doubt the Jets leveraged their new WR's coach, Lal, for their intel in putting together their plan for the position this off-season.

I can also see the argument made from the Jets perspective to go after a player like Schilens, over Edwards as both can do a lot of the same things when both are healthy, but Schilens provides that ability at a much lesser cost, and there is still even some upside to Schilens in that he could emerge and have a much bigger impact in his role, depending on how quickly Hill develops.

I can also understand the argument about experience. Maybe Turner emerges this year as well, he too has some experience, and if nothing else, has some chemistry with Sanchez. Kerley will remain in a slot WR role.

A lot of debate at this position, I can understand both sides of it.

I think the Jets had plans to pursue Edwards if they don't pick up a player like Schilens, and have an opportunity to draft a player like Hill. The Jets get two players at a better cost than they'd have to give up to sign the one player in Edwards, and we don't even know the extent of the injury he had, and the prospects for recovery and the kind of player he can still be even when he is ready to come back.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=yanks9596;4468028]Braylon Edwards was quite possibly the best player on our O in 2010. Beastliest season we have seen from a Jets WR in a long time as far as I am concerned. How quickly people forget.[/QUOTE]

I agree 110%. An overpaid #2 WR an up and coming WR a guy whos often injured and a bunch of rookies...........PLEASE SIGN BRAYLON :D

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes had a lot, and I do mean A LOT of help from Edwards in 2010. Edwards was usually the one drawing the double team. In a vacuum, health not being a factor, Edwards is the superior talent bar none in my opinion.

Edwards is bigger than Holmes.
    Edwards is faster than Holmes.
    Edwards is stronger and more physical than Holmes.
    Edwards is a more willing and better blocker than Holmes.
    Edwards goes over the middle better than Holmes.
    Edwards goes deep better than Holmes.
    Edwards a better red-zone target than Holmes.

Sure, I guess Holmes "runs the best routes in the league". Personally, I never saw it that way.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    you forgot Braylon also had much better attitude than Holmes- never quit on his team either

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sheastadiumjetfanson;4468129]you forgot Braylon also had much better attitude than Holmes- never quit on his team either[/QUOTE]

Or caused any on field issues........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am hoping that Hill eventually becomes our no. 1 and let's us cut bait with Holmes ... I just want to put that nightmare to bed and forget all about it within 2 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4468099]Himself?[/QUOTE]

Can you believe this? All I said is any WR you add to the roster adds depth.

I get an argument over the obvious. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;4467762]Braylon obviously has pissed off someone in the Jets FO. He will not be back.[/QUOTE]

yeah like anyone that has actually watched him play over the last 4 years.