Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jenny Vrentas Article

All League

Jenny Vrentas Article

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_players_see_a_more_involv.html[/url]

This is just the fifth week of the Jets' offseason program, but already, players have seen a more involved Rex Ryan -- one of the coach's resolutions after last year's disappointing 8-8 season.

Linebacker David Harris and cornerback Darrelle Revis, two of the defense's cornerstones, have noticed Ryan in more meetings and being more hands-on when out on the practice field. It's a change from last season, when Ryan admitted in retrospect that he had taken too much of a step back from the day-to-day goings on in order to be more of a head coach.

"He did fade off a little bit, I don’t know what reason for," Revis said today at Harris' charity golf outing to benefit the Give the Kids Hope Foundation, which aids underprivileged kids in North Jersey. "But he's the head coach, he has a lot on his plate, a lot of pressure. It's just something that maybe he thought he put more trust in the coaching staff, and seeing that it kind of hurt us last year, maybe, a little bit.

He added: "Not to frown on any coaches or anything, how they coached, but it’s good to see your head coach being involved, at least just putting his two cents in. You just hear his voice every now and then in the meeting room, so I think it is good."

Harris noticed that during the past two weeks of defensive installations, Ryan has been actively offering up coaching points and asking the younger players if they understand. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine took over as the primary defensive play-caller for the first time last season, and Ryan said he spoke with Pettine this offseason about resuming a more active role with the unit again.

Ryan's expertise is on defense, but his post-season resolution also extended to the team as a whole. Last season's locker-room turmoil had its epicenter on the struggling offense, and Ryan admitted he "lost the pulse" of the team.

"He got wind of it at the tail end of the season," Revis explained. "We tried to address it earlier through the players, and it didn’t work. ... He was blind from it, because he thought it was over, and at the tail end all this other stuff started coming out. I think that’s why he's coming around more to be more involved in what's going on, and what's everybody doing, and just talking to guys and making sure we’re sound as a team."

Revis added: "That’s the big thing, is being sound as team, so we can go out there and just play. Not sit here and bicker and argue and do all that stuff, go out there and play."

Revis was one of the players Ryan reached out to at the end of the season, and he said he told his coach these feelings. Revis said he understood why Ryan didn't see some of what went on, but "sometimes you might need somebody to come shake you up," he said.

"I told him, and he listened," Revis said. "I think he was more like hurt towards himself, putting all the pressure on himself, like, 'Man, I should have, I could have (done) this.' And it's like, 'Rex, it’s alright, we’ll be OK. Let’s just sweep this one under the rug, and let's get prepared for this year. Just add the guys we need to this team to help us win.' He was like, 'Alright, let's go,' and he was back to ... excited."

Revis said it was difficult at times as a player to control the internal locker-room discord. He said he would hear things that were going on with the offense, and he tried to spin it back in a positive way.

"I would say, 'Hey man, just keep on working hard, be positive. Don’t turn negative, because if you do, it might trickle on to other people,' " Revis said. "That’s the way it should be, instead of, 'Hey man, this is not happening,' or 'I'm not getting this many touches,' or those type of things. It's deadly to a team when you are trying to sit here and accomplish stuff, because it just doesn’t mix. It's friction. You're trying to mix with good with bad, and it doesn’t work."

But the Jets are committed to putting last season behind them, and both Harris and Revis are optimistic about 2012 and the additions the Jets have made. Harris had dinner with new quarterback Tim Tebow and called him a good, humble guy.

"Everybody knows what he can do," Harris said. "He beat us singlehandedly (last season), so we’ve seen it up close and personal. I think he's going to be a huge addition."

On defense, the Jets have adopted a "one step faster" motto. Harris said he has dropped four pounds already and is targeting playing in the low 240s, below last year's listed weight of 250. Revis said he's using the motto to encourage better communication among the 11 players on the field, so they can each in turn play faster.

Both pointed out that the defense was still highly ranked last year -- fifth in the league in total defense -- so the changes they're making are small scale. Revis said the bumps of last season didn't have to do with the players they have, because he believes everyone fits into the system, but being one or two plays better can put the Jets "in the running to be the best defense in the league."

"You look at our defensive stats the past few years, we’ve been No. 1 in a lot of categories, so it's not like we’re some slouches," Harris said. "(Rex) feels like he could do something a little bit extra and help us get over that hump, I guess, and that’s what it is."

The David Harris Invitational at Essex County Country Club raises funds for the Give the Kids Hope Foundation, which encourages recreational and educational opportunities for underprivileged kids in North Jersey. This is the second year Harris has been involved with the tournament, which typically raises about $20,000 for the "Camp Hope" in West Milford, used to update the campground, buildings and pool.

Harris also contributed $40,000 worth of new sneakers to Camp Hope last year -- $20,000 from his own pocket, and the other half through his deal with Reebok -- and the camp's shed housing the sneakers is named after him.

Harris said he never thought LB Bart Scott wouldn't be back with the Jets. Scott's future was up in the air this offseason, and the Jets talked with his agent about the possibility of a trade at the Combine.

"I knew he wasn't going anywhere," Harris said. "He was looking great. He lost 12 pounds already. I've got to step my game up."

With the addition of first-round pick Quinton Coples, a defensive end, Harris said it makes sense that the Jets may use more 4-3 fronts, though he doesn't know that for certain.

“You would think so,” Harris said. “That’s a pretty high draft pick for a D-lineman. He’s going to be thrown in there. If I had to guess, I’d say yes, but you’d have to ask Rex or Mike Pettine that question."

She is my favorite beat writer......this is news..... not something thats been completely made up and at the end of the article there is some little jab at the Jets ala Cimini...Great Article...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that Shotty was pretty much a lame duck OC contributed to the discord on Offense. Bringing in a new guy like Sparano should change things for the better. Shotty had pretty much free reign while he was here. Once the guys became somewhat disgruntled with him and then got wind that he's likely a goner, there is bound to be less cohesiveness and unity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE]Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine took over as the primary defensive play-caller for the first time last season, and Ryan said he spoke with Pettine this offseason about resuming a more active role with the unit again.[/QUOTE]

This is a very good thing. If we can get back to being the #1 defense we're going to be tough to beat. The personnel is there, easily the most talent we've had on defense in a long time.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4467768]I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that Shotty was pretty much a lame duck OC contributed to the discord on Offense. Bringing in a new guy like Sparano should change things for the better. Shotty had pretty much free reign while he was here. Once the guys became somewhat disgruntled with him and then got wind that he's likely a goner, there is bound to be less cohesiveness and unity.[/QUOTE]

if you believe that most offseason decisions were based on rex's conversations with his players, the players said:

- get rid of schotty, the offense can't improve with him;
    - get another qb to challenge sanchez
    - get more speed everywhere
    - don't trade for more talented but potentially divisive players

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4467770]This is a very good thing. If we can get back to being the #1 defense we're going to be tough to beat. The personnel is there, easily the most talent we've had on defense in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. While I like Pettine, it's obvious Rex has a better feel for the play-calling and I trust it a helluva lot more being in his hands.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=tfine350z;4467767]She is my favorite beat writer......this is news..... not something thats been completely made up and at the end of the article there is some little jab at the Jets ala Cimini...Great Article...[/QUOTE]
    Give her time. She'll turn. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    It all sounds good.

Rex needs to be more involved in all 3 phases of the game.

I found it interesting and a bit funny that Revis gave Rex a pep talk.

Outstanding piece of journalism...just like that india people Manish used to do.

Then he turned. I fear the worst for Jenny as well.

This is the first time I've felt that Revis is actually stepping up to lead instead of acting as the neutral mercinary superstar. It's a good change.

I am extremely excited about the potential for our defense. As Buzz pointed out, this is easily the most talent we've had on this team in QUITE some time, and with Rex retaking the reins at playcalling...watch out.

clean slate for everyone -- players and coaches -- for this season. sweep it under the rug. Seems like a new Rex, maybe he can get back to doing what he does best -- Xs and Os.

[QUOTE=augustiniak;4467771]if you believe that most offseason decisions were based on rex's conversations with his players, the players said:

- get rid of schotty, the offense can't improve with him;
    - get another qb to challenge sanchez
    - get more speed everywhere
    - don't trade for more talented but potentially divisive players[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. 100% true. Somebody is finally listening. Hope this continues for the foreseeable future.

All League
    The best thing to say about Jenny Vrentas is she covers football like a man

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4467779]Agreed. While I like Pettine, it's obvious Rex has a better feel for the play-calling and I trust it a helluva lot more being in his hands.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if the actual stats support this, but there seemed to be a definite pull back on the blitzing last year. I'm not sure if that was more of a Pettine vs. Rex thing or if the collective thought was to go the more coverage route that they had success with in the 10' playoffs against the Pats.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4467794]I'm not sure if the actual stats support this, but there seemed to be a definite pull back on the blitzing last year. I'm not sure if that was more of a Pettine vs. Rex thing or if the collective thought was to go the more coverage route that they had success with in the 10' playoffs against the Pats.[/QUOTE]

no safeties could cover. only one blitzer could get pressure. lack of defensive speed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4467794]I'm not sure if the actual stats support this, but there seemed to be a definite pull back on the blitzing last year. I'm not sure if that was more of a Pettine vs. Rex thing or if the collective thought was to go the more coverage route that they had success with in the 10' playoffs against the Pats.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there are stats that back up your claim, and I definitely noticed it too last season. It seemed the Jets were not their usual aggressive selves, which may have been because they didn't think they had the horses to get to the quarterback.

It also appeared as if they blitzed when they should've dropped back in coverage, and dropped back when they should've blitzed. The Tebow TD against us last season defined that perfectly.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd be curious to know if the calls on defense during the Bronco's winning drive last season was 100% Pettine or not.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4467798]I'd be curious to know if the calls on defense during the Bronco's winning drive last season was 100% Pettine or not.[/QUOTE]

I won't lie, the Eric Smith up on the line with what appeared to be 'option to break containment' seemed very Rex like...

We'll never know if he truly had containment or not but ugh... Just ugh...

Great thread, and great posts, all of them!!!

All League
    I believe the defense last year was totally called by Pettine. There was alot
    of coverage and very few "Rex fingerprints" how many times did you see:

- Over load blitzes
    - No down linemen and everyone standing up
    - DB blitzes

And most importantly when we blitzed in 2009 & 2010 we got home or made
    the QB throw the ball away

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4467797]I'm sure there are stats that back up your claim, and I definitely noticed it too last season. It seemed the Jets were not their usual aggressive selves, which may have been because they didn't think they had the horses to get to the quarterback.

It also appeared as if they blitzed when they should've dropped back in coverage, and dropped back when they should've blitzed. The Tebow TD against us last season defined that perfectly.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=KRL;4467833]I believe the defense last year was totally called by Pettine. There was alot
    of coverage and very few "Rex fingerprints" how many times did you see:

- Over load blitzes
    - No down linemen and everyone standing up
    - DB blitzes

And most importantly when we blitzed in 2009 & 2010 we got home or made
    the QB throw the ball away[/QUOTE]

The defense Rex and Pettine called last year was heavily influenced by the success they had in the playoffs against Indianapolis and New England.