Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheated death yesterday, *****es.... [for real]

Jets Insider VIP

Cheated death yesterday, *****es.... [for real]

Was driving home with the family yesterday, after a weekend away celebrating my daughter's birthday.
    (Like anything else I do around here, I have to say it in pictures)

I'm driving in the in left lane of a 3 lane highway, with no shoulder to my left, only a guardrail.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iASqbKhU8bvXq.jpg[/IMG]

We're driving uphill, and as soon as we crest over the top of the hill, there is a black Dodge Caravan (how I can remember this I don't know),
    driving in the wrong direction.

Not only was he driving in the wrong direction, but he was in my lane,
    and flooring it. I'm probably doing around 50 myself.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/igwdc3joL0QkL.jpg[/IMG]

Of course the first thing my wife did was scream.
    Whoever this ******* was, he seemed intent on moving forward,
    intent on reaching the grass median which was well behind me.
    I hit the brakes and veer off into the center lane (thank unoccupied), a-hole minivan zooms past me on my left (I swear our mirrors nearly touch).

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iVKZ3MY46Moct.jpg[/IMG]

As soon as he passed me I get back in my lane, and keep going.
    I look in my rearview, and I see this guy somehow made it to the center grass median without killing anyone.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iGg896KqQtLZj.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't even think to stop or pull over after all of this to see if anyone else had been hurt or affected, I was too shaken up, and frankly I just wanted to get the hell home as soon as possible.

We've all had our close calls before, but this was the first time with the kids in the car - more importantly the first time that they were truly 'aware' of how close they came to getting into a major accident.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about how lucky we were, if my kids would end up being orphans and what not.

I wonder if we had taken a minute longer to finish breakfast what would have happened - or if maybe this a-hole ends up actually killing someone else, or worse, multiple people.

Lastly, I am glad that I am the one that decided to drive home yesterday... and that the Honda CRV has top-notch braking systems.

Glad you and the family are ok.

Another reason to hate mini-vans.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Tha God it didn't end like the mini van disaster a couple of summers ago.

All League
    Good God, that would have been a nasty accident. Glad you and your family are OK. After that, I'd have to change my shorts, and then replace the front seat.

One early morning a couple years ago, I was at a stop light, going to turn left. No one behind me, so I reach to the passenger seat to get something out of my briefcase. While I'm doing this, the left green arrow appears. Because I was reaching in my briefecase, I was about a second too late on the green. I start my turn to the left, and some a-hole from my left (with the now red light) blows right through it, I see it just in time, slam on my brakes as the asshat (maybe it was GMC?) zooms 5 feet in front of my bumper, oblivious to what was happening. If I hadn't been getting something out of my briefcase, I would have been T-boned in the drivers side door.

[QUOTE=jetswin;4468447]Tha God it didn't end like the mini van disaster a couple of summers ago.[/QUOTE]

I remember that... The Parkway, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Awful, really glad to hear nothing worse happened.

Jets Insider VIP
    :eek:

Glad you're ok Fish. Hope you reported that asshat to the nearest PD....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4468449]I remember that... The Parkway, right?[/QUOTE]

saw mill, I think, it was awful HBO did a documentary on it

I would have cried if you left us. Thank God you're alright

Veteran
    Scary chit, glad you are ok...

Thank GOD you avoided that big mess.
    I had one just like it on I-80 in the Poconos. Scared the living crap out of me. Makes you appreciate what you have.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4468458]saw mill, I think, it was awful HBO did a documentary on it[/QUOTE]

Taconic. I still see E.A.K. car decals all over the place. :(

Veteran
    Glad you and your family are okay, Fish!
    Great reflexes, but wow, how scary.

Another reason to watch the road at all times when driving---never know what idiots are out there.

I had that happen to me twice. Once on I-88 in NY but I could see the moron from a long way away, so no problem. Scarier time was at night on Mass Pike. Headlights coming straight on, can't tell which lane he's in, shudder.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank god ur alright....

now about those funny pictures........

Scary stuff. Glad you and your lovely girls are ok. A couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me on Rte 15 northbound in Jefferson at about 11pm. Some douche made a right turn from the crossroad near McDonalds and started heading south in the northbound lanes of Rte 15, directly at me. I had to swerve over from the left lane to the middle and was thankful there were no cars in my way. Was just me in the car and I swear I saw my family's faces flash across my windshield.

All League
    I had something similar happen a few years ago with wife and kids in the car...it happens in a split second yet you literally do see the whole life flashing before the eyes thing. It's very traumatizing and stays with you for awhile.

Thank God your family is ok...just shows how random life (or death) can be.

Truly glad you and yours are ok Fish.

I'd have literally **** myself in that spot tbh.

I've been in a few accidents over the years, including T-boning someone who ignored their stop sign and pulled right out into the main road in front of me. It's terrifying. Head on.......****, no.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Glad you and your family are ok, Fish. That's insane. ****ing ridiculous people on the roadways, I hate them all.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4468458]saw mill, I think, it was awful HBO did a documentary on it[/QUOTE]

Glad you and your fam are ok Fish! What a complete shiitsipper.

Taconic, JW, I remember following that when it happened and watched the HBO doc, "What's Wrong With Aunt Diane?". It was haunting and I still think about it from time to time, thought about it as soon as I started reading Fish' post.

Hall Of Fame
    Was he texting?

Too soon?

_