Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: COACH-ing dept. : Belichick , Rex .... ~ ~ ~

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex, I said the jets D was better than the Pats, what i meant to infer was that the pats were so much better on offense, that it more than compensated for the difference between the jets D and the Patriots D. Regardless, the OP was ranking the division's corners. I had the Pats #4 in the division. But I truly feel that can improve to be a solid corner unit, not the jets, seahawks, cowboys eagles or the chiefs of last year. But good enough to be #2 in the division.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Rex, I said the jets D was better than the Pats, what i meant to infer was that the pats were so much better on offense, that it more than compensated for the difference between the jets D and the Patriots D. Regardless, the OP was ranking the division's corners. I had the Pats #4 in the division. But I truly feel that can improve to be a solid corner unit, not the jets, seahawks, cowboys eagles or the chiefs of last year. But good enough to be #2 in the division.
    Oh, I understood ya brotha. Patsfanken was the one clowning it up.

I agree with your statement. The Jets defense relative to other defenses isn't as elite as Brady is to other QBs. We don't have a HOF caliber defense; you have a HOF QB. It's easier to get consistent year-to-year play with an individual HOF player than it is for an entire unit (defensive in this case). And even so, when the Jets were the #1 D in 2009, as good as it was it was not a HOF defense.

There is a chance the Pats CBs can be #2 in the division, but I think certain things would have to break your way to make it happen. For starters, they need to go away from the man-to-man they flirted with last year because it clearly does not play to their best corner's strengths. Even the best corners in the game can struggle if they're not playing in a scheme that fits them...Asomugha playing zone last year is a prime example. Secondly, I think you would have to bank on Dowling being healthy all year. I have no idea what the chances are on that. Even if the corners have a good season, I think you guys are still going to get dumped on by the media because you're going to give up a lot of garbage time passing yards again. If I'm a Pats fan, I'll gladly take that as a byproduct of winning a ton of games.

The AFC East has a pretty solid set of corners. I think the Jets are the clear cut best grouping, but I would say the Dolphins are the second best. Davis is as good (if not better) than McCourty, but I think the difference is Smith + Richard Marshall is better than whatever depth the Pats will have. For the Bills, if Gilmore makes an immediate impact, they could certainly challenge the Dolphins for #2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Right, because we have a solid D, not a HOF defense. You have a HOF QB, not just a solid offense. Arguing anything otherwise lends you little credibility.

Oh gosh. Here, take off your clown shoes and take a seat for a minute. I'll lay this out nice and slowly for you so that it passes through your thick chowderhead skull.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ext...-special-teams

There are two kinds of special teams fumbles: regular fumbles and muffs. We count these differently because muffed punts (and the rarer muffed kickoffs) are recovered by the return team much more often than fumbles that take place after the return has actually started. Except, apparently, by the 2011 Jets.

The Jets have four muffed punts. The opposition has recovered three of them. The rest of the league has 37 muffed punts, and the opposition has recovered only six of them.

On kickoffs, only one muffed kickoff has been recovered by the opposition this year. That muffed kickoff was by the Jets. In general, half of all fumbled kick returns are recovered by the opposition. The Jets lost both their fumbles.

Based off those numbers, it certainly doesn't seem like every team had encountered the same issues like you claim.

You're talking about 14 points. I'm talking about 42 points on returns for TDs (14 of which had nothing to do with Sanchez) plus the 6 special teams turnovers, which gave the opposition the ball on the Jets 13, 18, 14, 42, 36, and 18 yard line. That's 4 drives that get to start inside the red zone, one still in FG range, and one that was one measly first down away from FG range. That led to an extra 20 points for the opposition. In sum, we're talking about 62 points (nearly 4 PPG) that the team pissed away and the actual defense deserves little or no blame for.

But yeah, that Pats D is better than the Jets D
    OK you convinced me. Good Job. So according to you the Jets are horrible on special teams and Sanchez shouldn't be trusted with the ball. I get it now.

But here's a point YOU should get. Every team's offense at times gives up points and puts their D in horrible positions. Maybe not to the extent the Jets did last season, but to a "degree"

But we all can use that what if stats crap. ie, If the Pats hadn't pissed away 21 "garbage time" 4th quarter points to the Colts after they led by over 30 to start the quarter, they would have finished in the to ten in scoring defenses. So what, just another meaningless stat

BTW-the fact that your team "pissed away" 4 points per game is an indictment of your coaching....and indictment that YOU made, not me.
    Last edited by patsfanken; 06-04-2012 at 11:50 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken View Post
    OK you convinced me. Good Job. So according to you the Jets are horrible on special teams and Sanchez shouldn't be trusted with the ball. I get it now.

But here's a point YOU should get. Every team's offense at times gives up points and puts their D in horrible positions. Maybe not to the extent the Jets did last season, but to a "degree"

But we all can use that what if stats crap. ie, If the Pats hadn't pissed away 21 "garbage time" 4th quarter points to the Colts after they led by over 30 to start the quarter, they would have finished in the to ten in scoring defenses. So what, just another meaningless stat

BTW-the fact that your team "pissed away" 4 points per game is an indictment of your coaching....and indictment that YOU made, not me.
    Good posts Rexipus.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to disagree with this. You can play the stupid "what if" game with every single team in the league. If teams like the Packers and Patriots weren't up big in a lot of games playing lax defense does anyone really believe they are two of the worst defenses of all time?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sroger View Post
    Hard to disagree with this. You can play the stupid "what if" game with every single team in the league. If teams like the Packers and Patriots weren't up big in a lot of games playing lax defense does anyone really believe they are two of the worst defenses of all time?

...Except that's going to happen every year with the elite teams with high profile QBs/passing offenses. Get the lead early, blow out the weak teams, and force the other team into pass only mode. Giving up chunk passing yardage or a few late bs TDs doesn't matter to the team that's already up by 3+ scores in the fourth quarter. Hence why the Packers and Patriots had among the worst pass defenses this past year. The Pats defense relies on its offense being so damn efficient, which is why they roll through the regular season but have recently struggled against competitive teams in the playoffs. What happens when the Pats don't get an early lead? Their defense gets exposed for the fraud it really is. There's only so much a coach can hide, and I say that fully acknowledging that Beli hides his team's weaknesses far better than anyone else out there.

That offensive and defensive philosophy won't change year-to-year, so I don't give a crap about your what ifs for the Patriots defense. What WILL change year-to-year is that absurd percentages on lost possessions from muffed punts and (especially) muffed kicks by the Jets. I guarantee you the Jets don't have 6 special teams turnovers again not just next year but for many years beyond. Turnovers, and specifically special teams turnovers in this instance, have high variance year to year. The 2010 Steelers had a +17 TO differential; the 2011 Steelers had a -13 TO differential (2nd best to 4th worst). The 2010 Eagles had a +9 ratio; the 2011 Eagles had a -14 ratio (5th best to 2nd worst). The Jets went from 5th best to 19th best. It's a volatile statistic. That's the point. It's even rarer when you have 6 of those TOs on special teams, and my earlier posted article lucidly states that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Except that's going to happen every year with the elite teams with high profile QBs/passing offenses. Get the lead early, blow out the weak teams, and force the other team into pass only mode. Giving up chunk passing yardage or a few late bs TDs doesn't matter to the team that's already up by 3+ scores in the fourth quarter. Hence why the Packers and Patriots had among the worst pass defenses this past year. The Pats defense relies on its offense being so damn efficient, which is why they roll through the regular season but have recently struggled against competitive teams in the playoffs. What happens when the Pats don't get an early lead? Their defense gets exposed for the fraud it really is. There's only so much a coach can hide, and I say that fully acknowledging that Beli hides his team's weaknesses far better than anyone else out there.

That offensive and defensive philosophy won't change year-to-year, so I don't give a crap about your what ifs for the Patriots defense. What WILL change year-to-year is that absurd percentages on lost possessions from muffed punts and (especially) muffed kicks by the Jets. I guarantee you the Jets don't have 6 special teams turnovers again not just next year but for many years beyond. Turnovers, and specifically special teams turnovers in this instance, have high variance year to year. The 2010 Steelers had a +17 TO differential; the 2011 Steelers had a -13 TO differential (2nd best to 4th worst). The 2010 Eagles had a +9 ratio; the 2011 Eagles had a -14 ratio (5th best to 2nd worst). The Jets went from 5th best to 19th best. It's a volatile statistic. That's the point. It's even rarer when you have 6 of those TOs on special teams, and my earlier posted article lucidly states that.

Stop acting like turnovers are a product of some random chaos theory and the Jets happened to get the short end of the stick. Turnovers are the result of undisciplined football. The Jets are an undisciplined football team. They had so many special teams turnovers because they continued to roll McKnight out there on punt and kick return.

I still don't really understand your larger point? That the Jets had 6 special teams turnovers which put the opposition in a better position to score thereby inflating their points allowed by an automatic 42 points? But you think this is some statistical anomaly based on the random variance of turnovers per year, and therefore the Jets defense really is super awesome!
    Last edited by Sroger; 06-05-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sroger View Post
    Stop acting like turnovers are a product of some random chaos theory and the Jets happened to get the short end of the stick. Turnovers are the result of undisciplined football. The Jets are an undisciplined football team. They had so many special teams turnovers because they continued to roll McKnight out there on punt and kick return.

I still don't really understand your larger point? That the Jets had 6 special teams turnovers which put the opposition in a better position to score thereby inflating their points allowed by an automatic 42 points? But you think this is some statistical anomaly based on the random variance of turnovers per year, and therefore the Jets defense really is super awesome!
    I guess the 2005 Patriots were more undiscuplined than the 2011 Jets because they had a -6 turnover differential and finished 22nd in the league in that department. Are you sure you're understanding what I am typing or what you are reading? I gave you two examples of two of the most successful and well-coached teams in the league for the past decade -- Pittsburgh and Philly -- in order to illustrate that turnovers are a volatile statistic year to year. If you fail to acknowledge that, I see no point in spending any further time arguing with you.

Where did I say automatic 42 points because of special teams? Again, reading comprehension. The 6 ST turnovers led to 20 points for the opposition. The simple fact is that when the offense surrenders 42 points off turnovers and the ST gives the opposition 4 free red zone trips plus two others in FG range leading to 20 more easy points, the raw defensive numbers won't do any justice and ignores RELEVANT context. Find me one sane person that wouldn't take the Jets D over New England's. You can claim the Jets are likely to have 6 more offensive INTs/fumbles returned for scores again in 2012, I really don't give a crap, but I'll eat my hat if the Jets have 6 ST turnovers in the next two years combined.

And I don't understand your erroneous dig at McKnight. He had one turnover. If you want to rip on anyone, feel free to rip on Cro's pair of muffs and Kerley's pair of muffs.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 06-05-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Pats fans are trolls

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex, Brady did not score all those points, the Patriots did. While Brady is the best weapon on offense it is not a one man show. Last year they had the best inside passing game in the league and maybe in league history, Welker. Hernandez and Gronk. He plays behind a very good to great pass blocking oline. Remember this team went 11-5 with a qb that did not start a game since high school.

On the defensive side of the ball I don't know if they will play more man or Zone this year. Arrington and McCourty have a season of exp now in it and at least have the OTA and a full camp to get adjusted to it. It looks like the pats will be a base 4-3 next year like last year based on the pickups (Fannae, Trevor Scott, Jones) so I would think that again they will continue last years play of more man than they had in the past.

Points given up by the def is the most important def stat. and even that is colored by the scoring in that game as you noted. But to get a true measure of a team's efficiency you have to break it down to the smallest degree possible.

And 8 yd pass on 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 20 is given as much weight stat wise as a 3rd and 7 from your 5 yrd line. Only by watching the game can you get a true feel of the performance of certain players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex, Brady did not score all those points, the Patriots did. While Brady is the best weapon on offense it is not a one man show. Last year they had the best inside passing game in the league and maybe in league history, Welker. Hernandez and Gronk. He plays behind a very good to great pass blocking oline. Remember this team went 11-5 with a qb that did not start a game since high school.

On the defensive side of the ball I don't know if they will play more man or Zone this year. Arrington and McCourty have a season of exp now in it and at least have the OTA and a full camp to get adjusted to it. It looks like the pats will be a base 4-3 next year like last year based on the pickups (Fannae, Trevor Scott, Jones) so I would think that again they will continue last years play of more man than they had in the past.

Points given up by the def is the most important def stat. and even that is colored by the scoring in that game as you noted. But to get a true measure of a team's efficiency you have to break it down to the smallest degree possible.

And 8 yd pass on 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 20 is given as much weight stat wise as a 3rd and 7 from your 5 yrd line. Only by watching the game can you get a true feel of the performance of certain players.
    OVER 4,000 posts on a JETS fan-site
    .... time to get a life. seriously

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    OVER 4,000 posts on a JETS fan-site
    .... time to get a life. seriously
    Yeah and I have been posting here for over 12 years, (which is less than a post a day) even before Sooth moved over to the new site. I come here to talk football with fans that don't share the same perspective as I do. I am interested in what fans of different teams think about their team and mine and common division rivals.

And what you call "a life" is talking football with only fans of the team that you follow? When you post on a football site at 2.5X the rate that I do. Rehashing the same things that you said, or heard about the jets at work, the bar or on the subway. I think your the one that needs a little perspective on Life. (assuming you are a tri state resident)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are missing the point on Special Teams. fumbles on Special are entirely random... Losing 6/8 fumbles on ST takes a special kind of bad luck that will almost certainly not repeat itself next season.

Doesn't mean the Jets will magically win 11 games, but some things won't happen again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah and I have been posting here for over 12 years, (which is less than a post a day) even before Sooth moved over to the new site. I come here to talk football with fans that don't share the same perspective as I do. I am interested in what fans of different teams think about their team and mine and common division rivals.

And what you call "a life" is talking football with only fans of the team that you follow? When you post on a football site at 2.5X the rate that I do. Rehashing the same things that you said, or heard about the jets at work, the bar or on the subway. I think your the one that needs a little perspective on Life. (assuming you are a tri state resident)
    ooops , ...
    i hit a nerve

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    no, you were just being an ass, and i wanted to point it out to you

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I think you are missing the point on Special Teams. fumbles on Special are entirely random... Losing 6/8 fumbles on ST takes a special kind of bad luck that will almost certainly not repeat itself next season.

Doesn't mean the Jets will magically win 11 games, but some things won't happen again.
    I don't entirely agree with this. While some fumbles can be filed under "sh!t happens", most are the result of either a technique flaw by the offensive player OR a proactive action by a defensive one. Not exactly what you would call a "random" event or bad luck.

If the Jets don't actively work on the reasons all those fumbles occurred they very well could be a repeat performance. A lot depends on how the team itself views the problem. On the Pats Stephen Ripley had just ONE fumble in the regular season. It happened in the last game of the season. He had another in the first playoff game......and never saw the field again. Ball security is a big issue for the Pats.....and its one of the reasons they are usually in the top of the league in that category.

I don't know how the Jets rate over the last few years, but if last year's performance was a consistent example then the problem is less bad luck, and more a lack of coaching. You can't stop EVERY fumble, but good ball security CAN be taught.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair points....all of them. But like I pointed out earlier, ball security CAN be coached, and lack of it CAN be made a priority. I think fumbles are a lot less of a crap shoot than say, injuries.

But I agree that one of the reasons the Pats did as well as they did with a sub par defensive secondary was the were very good at holding on to the ball when they were on offense, and almost as good at taking it away from the other team.

And THANK YOU for recognizing that "garbage time" passing yds do exist, but while they do occur, the Pats secondary, for a lot of reasons, WAS really bad last season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I understood ya brotha. Patsfanken was the one clowning it up.

I agree with your statement. The Jets defense relative to other defenses isn't as elite as Brady is to other QBs. We don't have a HOF caliber defense; you have a HOF QB. It's easier to get consistent year-to-year play with an individual HOF player than it is for an entire unit (defensive in this case). And even so, when the Jets were the #1 D in 2009, as good as it was it was not a HOF defense.

There is a chance the Pats CBs can be #2 in the division, but I think certain things would have to break your way to make it happen. For starters, they need to go away from the man-to-man they flirted with last year because it clearly does not play to their best corner's strengths. Even the best corners in the game can struggle if they're not playing in a scheme that fits them...Asomugha playing zone last year is a prime example. Secondly, I think you would have to bank on Dowling being healthy all year. I have no idea what the chances are on that. Even if the corners have a good season, I think you guys are still going to get dumped on by the media because you're going to give up a lot of garbage time passing yards again. If I'm a Pats fan, I'll gladly take that as a byproduct of winning a ton of games.

The AFC East has a pretty solid set of corners. I think the Jets are the clear cut best grouping, but I would say the Dolphins are the second best. Davis is as good (if not better) than McCourty, but I think the difference is Smith + Richard Marshall is better than whatever depth the Pats will have. For the Bills, if Gilmore makes an immediate impact, they could certainly challenge the Dolphins for #2.
    I'm not sure what you found "clown-like" in my previous post, but I'm not above recognizing a great post by someone else when I see it.

I think you gauged the state of each team's secondaries pretty well. I have great expectations for Dowling....but that's all they are right now....expectations. He was the one Pats DB who looked like he could play man coverage against big WRs. Granted the sample was VERY small, but hope springs eternal.

As a Pats fan, I'm not looking to compare DB's with other teams. I'm just looking for them just to be better than last season. Chung only played half the season, and Barrett only one game. That was supposed to be the Pats the Pats starting safeties. So we get both of them back, and added Wilson, Gregory, and Allen. Right now it looks like Gregory and Chung look like the starters with Wilson and Barrett backing them up, and Allen as a swing guy

I'm not sure how MUCH better they will be, but given that they will replacing the likes of SBrown, JIhedigbu, JEdelman, MSlater, and RVentrone, its pretty likely that we'll see a significant improvement in that area.

BTW - I never said in any post, that I thought the Pats defense was better than the Jets' (I Just noticed that you claimed that) Though I think it might be fair to say that the Pats offense has gone a long way to solving the Jets defense, especially when you consider 3 of the last 4 meetings

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    no, you were just being an ass, and i wanted to point it out to you
    oooh ,
    i luv it when YOU talk dirty

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Sparano is right fit for the Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Know and know you know.

Those five words are constantly pounded into the heads of the New York Jets' offensive players this year. It stands for understanding, accountability and being able to trust the player next to you.It is a motto new Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano came up with a couple of years ago. Consider it a "Sparanoism," if you will. It's a motto that wil have to ring true for an underachieving Jets offense which finished 25th in the NFL in 2011 and imploded down the stretch by losing the last three games."The bottom line is that you’re teaching them to understand and pay attention to the details," Sparano said Tuesday. "I said this from Day 1, 'If you do not know your assignment, I cannot put you out there on the field.' I told them that."Be sure you know, and when you think you know it, go back over it again so that you know it. It allows you to play faster when you're sure about those things."

Sparano's blunt style is not for everyone. He is no frills and in your face. Recently Sparano made headlines in New York by yelling at golden-boy quarterback Tim Tebow for not using his check-down receiver in practice. Absolutely no one is immune from Sparano's detail-oriented approach.Last year's implosion in New York is well documented. The Jets' offense was turnover-laden, inconsistent and downright sloppy under former coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. By the end of the season, there were chemistry issues and bickering amongst players, which led to New York missing the playoffs for the first time under head coach Rex Ryan.New York's offense needs a kick in the rear -- and Sparano is just the right guy to do it."With his personality and toughness, we're not going to have a choice but to come together," Jets starting guard Matt Slauson said. "He's got kind of a 'Bash Brothers' mentality. So we have to go along with him, and to do that we have to be side-by-side and watching each other’s back."

Sparano's success will hinge on whether Mark Sanchez can bounce back from a last season.Sparano's job won't be easy. He aims to make the Jets both a tougher and smarter offense, while also keeping its many personalities in line. Sparano must be part X's and O's coach and part counselor.But Jets players so far have been very impressed with Sparano, who is very well-liked and well-respected throughout the NFL. Although no one would outright admit it, it's clear Sparano's approach has been a breath of fresh air compared to his predecessor."He’s a lot more hands-on than what we’re familiar with, but I definitely think it will work,” Jets receiver Jeremy Kerley said. “His approach to the game is an aggressive approach, which is something I need and hopefully something all the guys need. He’s hungry about his job. That’s one thing, as players, you feed off that.”

Tebow, who is known for his strong work ethic, says Sparano's love for the game shows through.“Some mornings when we’ll have off, he’ll come up here at four in the morning just to go over more ball,” Tebow said. “He’s just passionate about it. He loves it. That’s what you want out of a coach, is a coach that loves the game, is passionate about it and is also creative.”As Tebow pointed out, Sparano’s renewed passion was one of the first things I noticed during Tuesday’s opening of mandatory minicamp. He seems more energized and at ease from the coach I saw in his final year in Miami.

Seemingly every week during the 2011 season there was speculation about Sparano’s job security, and that clearly wore on him. His firing became inevitable after Miami started 0-7 and was eventually fired after Week 14 when the Dolphins were 4-9.But Sparano has found a respite, of all places, with the rival Jets. He no longer has to answer every question or face the media five times a week. That’s Rex Ryan’s job. Sparano also can focus on just one side of the football for the first time since 2007.“I have a tremendous amount of respect for the chair that Rex Ryan sits in as a head coach. I’ve been there for four years,” Sparano said. “I understand all the things that go by your desk every single day and the amount of times people knock on your door and want five minutes of your time and next thing you know you’re out of time.“Here, right now, I just get to do football. That’s been kind of nice for me right now is to get back to doing football and not have to worry about other things.”

Sparano said if he can reduce turnovers (Jets had 34 in 2011), decrease the negative plays, and be more effective on third downs and the red zone, New York's offense should be right where he wants it.The biggest key will be starting quarterback Mark Sanchez. He had a tough season with turnovers and minus players, but Sparano said he believes in Sanchez. The pairing will be mostly responsible for turning around the Jets' offense. By all accounts, the pair hit it off early and has a good relationship.Sanchez made some big-time throws in Tuesday's practice, which included three touchdown passes in team drills. Sanchez’s confidence appears to be gradually improving under Sparano, and so has his performance this offseason.“Right now I’ve seen [Sanchez] make in practice just about every throw that I need to see him make,” a confident Sparano said.

It’s been an interesting journey for Sparano this past year to say the least. Last summer he would have never guessed he would be coaching offense for his biggest rival. But Sparano is confident he landed in the right place, and the feeling is mutual from the Jets.“I think sometimes everything happens for a reason,” Sparano said. “This kind of situation here, those kids in Miami played really hard for me, and I appreciate that from them. It’s given me a heck of an opportunity here with the New York Jets.”

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...t-for-the-jets