Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Position is Our Weakest? Which is Our Strongest?

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4468696]Cornerback is definitely the strongest. Receiver is the weakest, RB right behind. IMO[/QUOTE]

Agree.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4468759]Even if we say what's the weakest *right now*, excluding potential free agent signings, it still really depends on what we have in these draft picks, especially the late round picks.

-I don't think much of Griffin and I don't think he'll be any kind of upgrade at guard, much less tackle.

-I like Ganaway a lot, but think he's a change-of-pace bruiser realistically, not going to make a huge impact.

-Bush tops out at situational free safety against multiple-WR sets, I think.

-Allen is a wildcard. Bottoms out at 5th safety, tops out at a bigger, stronger, faster version of Jim Leonhard.

-Jordan White has a chance to be late-career Hines Ward. Not an elite athlete but sure-footed and fearless.

So if all of these impressions turn out true . . .

STRONGEST: defensive backs and, shockingly, wide receivers -- if not at 1 and 2, at least in terms of quality depth.

WEAKEST: offensive line and, shockingly, running backs. No proven homerun hitters, a starter who benefited from a blocking scheme we won't be running anymore, and question marks behind that. It would be nice for McKnight or Powell to step up and surprise me.[/QUOTE]

What do you think of Powell? Especially coming out of college.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4468765]I think the Jets are going to use alot of 4-man fronts next season - pretty much becoming a 4-3 defense. It would look like this:

DE: Coples
    DT: Pouha
    DT: Devito/Wilkerson
    DE: Pace (pace on running downs, maybin will be a situational 3rd down pass rusher which was basically his role already anyway)

OLB: Demario Davis
    OLB: Bart Scott
    ILB: Harris

Maybin would have to put on weight and reportedly he already has though starting from 228 lbs and going up is much more of a stretch than when John Abraham put on the weight in 2001 when he switched from OLB to DE.

Davis and Harris I have no doubt are fast and skilled enough to play in a 4-3 in the NFL. Scott is another issue I think he will be a liability but he was one already anyway.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand this. Why is Wilk at DT instead of MT or Ellis? Why are our two ILB at OLB with an OLB at DE? Coples played some DT in College why is he not in rotation there rather than Wilk? I'm not trying to call you out just generally interested in why this was your projection.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4468906]What do you think of Powell? Especially coming out of college.[/QUOTE]

I didn't follow his draft class as closely as I did this one (also, what the hell do I know?) But I think Powell is way better than what we saw last year. He's also arguably more scheme versatile than Greene, though both are relatively weak receivers. I have no idea if he's good enough to be a feature back. But it's way too early to write him off.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4468933]I didn't follow his draft class as closely as I did this one (also, what the hell do I know?) But I think Powell is way better than what we saw last year. He's also arguably more scheme versatile than Greene, though both are relatively weak receivers. I have no idea if he's good enough to be a feature back. But it's way too early to write him off.[/QUOTE]
    I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

My perception of him was a guy who had an excellent statistical season in his Senior year against inferior defenses and as a result shot up the draft board from 7-UDFA. I'm very skeptical.

Jets Insider VIP
    Strongest: CB...and we demand it from them playing so much man.

Weakest: Certainly on Offense...
    but we won't know where until the new system settles in.

Does man blocking make Vlad into a beast?
    Does it make our entire RB corps into a just a bunch a JAGs?

The most important change of the off-season was OC,
    making it impossible to predict accurately how the O will look this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Has anyone mentioned safety yet as a position of weakness?

I hope the new guys pan out and that Landry can stay healthy, but that area has to still be a big concern.

[QUOTE=detjetsfan;4468768]Yeah I'm jealous of Wes Welker's rings.[/QUOTE]

And also maybe of his fiance?

[IMG]http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/01/27/222490-anna-burns.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://floppingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/600full-anna-burns1.jpg[/IMG]

Suprised no one mentioned right tackle as a possible weakest position, although safety is hard to argue. No doubt you have the best corners in the game today.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Weakest: Head coach.

Strongest: None.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Weakest: 4th string OG.

I have a bad feeling about Robert Griffin.

_

Weakest is line backer. Besides Harris, we are aging, slow and cant put pressure on the QB. Second weakest is OL--unless of course, they replace Hunter and D'Brick decides to play this year. Third, Safety--of course.

Its obvious that we have a lot of needs to fill.

Dont worry about receiver yet. You could give Sanchez the Patriots receivers and he still couldn't make the plays.
    Last edited by rextilleon; 05-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Strongest - Whichever CB Revis lines up at.

Weakest - RT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4468999]Strongest - Whichever CB Revis lines up at.

Weakest - RT.[/QUOTE]

A possible RT candidate could be Austin Howard who is in his 3rd year and is 6'7 333 and was a backup LT for the Eagles before we got him from the Ravens..

[QUOTE=CraigFL;4468918]Not sure I understand this. Why is Wilk at DT instead of MT or Ellis? Why are our two ILB at OLB with an OLB at DE? Coples played some DT in College why is he not in rotation there rather than Wilk? I'm not trying to call you out just generally interested in why this was your projection.[/QUOTE]

Wilk's 315 lbs - too big to play DE in a 4-3.

Coples is big too but not as big as Wilk. He's also fast and agile similar to Mario or Julius Peppers which is why Rex fell in love with him.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4469019]A possible RT candidate could be Austin Howard who is in his 3rd year and is 6'7 333 and was a backup LT for the Eagles before we got him from the Ravens..[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine anyone not being an upgrade.

[QUOTE=Savage69;4469019]A possible RT candidate could be Austin Howard who is in his 3rd year and is 6'7 333 and was a backup LT for the Eagles before we got him from the Ravens..[/QUOTE]

Yep I'm really counting on this guy who has been cut by two teams in two years upgrading the RT position :huh:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jpoppy7;4469057]Yep I'm really counting on this guy who has been cut by two teams in two years upgrading the RT position :huh:[/QUOTE]

You want me to list guys that were cut that worked out?? I could start with Johnny Unitas.. I said it was a possibility and the Ravens didn't cut him we got him off their practice squad..

Initially, when I read this thread I would've thought OL was our weakest spot. But based on the compelling arguments being made about Safety, I'd have to agree. A lot of question marks at that spot and no real clear cut answers.

Corner IMO is our strongest position. I thought Wilson was our most improved player last season. Cro is still a great 2nd corner and Revis is simply the best by leaps and bounds.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4469213]Initially, when I read this thread I would've thought OL was our weakest spot. But based on the compelling arguments being made about Safety, I'd have to agree. A lot of question marks at that spot and no real clear cut answers.

Corner IMO is our strongest position. I thought Wilson was our most improved player last season. Cro is still a great 2nd corner and Revis is simply the best by leaps and bounds.[/QUOTE]

We're screwed at Safety - both FS and SS. Unless Josh Bush turns out to be a sleeper.

I doubt Landry survives the entire season w/o a significant injury and you all know how I feel about the best coverage Safety in the NFL Eric Smith.

im surprised how little the OLine was mentioned. nothing could be weaker and nothing is more important. you dont know what the wrs and rbs can do until our qb has time. this, imo, was the biggest letdown of the offseason

strongest= sanchez hands down. youll see