Thread: Saw the Presidential Motorcade Yesterday

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Saw the Presidential Motorcade Yesterday

I'm walking from work yesterday as usual at around 5:15 , on my way from Union Square to Penn Station, when I see 23rd St. completely sealed off with barricades as I approach the Flatiron Building. "Now WTF is going on?" I mutter to myself, since I'm not allowed to walk uptown along Broadway. Then I hear someone mention that Obama is headed this way and all I'm thinking is "how soon"? I'm allowed to walk west to 7th Ave. and that's the end of the line as 23rd St. and 7th is blocked off completely, save for the route where the motorcade will come north on 7th and turn right on 23rd.

Think of the scene in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind where the scientists are waiting for the arrival of the Mother Ship. First you get those little scout ships whizzing past as precursors of the Big Boy's arrival. Yesterday I'm waiting up against one of the barricades (had no choice) and one cop on a motorcycle put-puts past. Then an NYC squad car with lights on. Followed by a black sedan. Then nothing, except an empty 23rd St and lots of cops along the barricades. A few seconds later I hear a rumbling noise from the south, and it gets progressively louder. Then, in the span of 30 about seconds, tops, I see several pairs of motorcycle cops, followed close behind by about 10 NYC police cars, sirens and lights going full blast, a huge black SUV, and then the presidential limo itself, U.S. flags out front, making a very wide right turn and traveling at a modest speed. Right behind the limo was another black SUV labeled "Emergency" as well as a city Ambulance, and finally followed by another big vehicle marked "Press." It was all over quickly but that was my first encounter with anything like that. Pretty cool, no matter your political persuasion.

Hall Of Fame
    No golf carts? I'm actually surprised.

it would have been even cooler if in the middle of it all peter gabriel was in face paint singing the musical box

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

He travels well.

I'm sure this is a common occurrence for DC residents, but one time I was down there visiting near the White House and out of nowhere cops and barricades popped up within 2 minutes, sealing off all roads and sidewalks leading to the White House. Then, a low thump-thump-thump growing louder and louder as the Presidential helicopter, Marine 1, broke the horizon flying extremely low, and accompanied by an identical decoy chopper. Marine 1 went down for a landing on the South Lawn as the other helicopter peeled off and hovered nearby. Pretty cool sight.

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8m_xwZHaQFCywXrlQ5dbsDPBZGlhfTTyeeTDNT6YJuh-vEDF1[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I remember when Clinton was pres. it seemed as if he was in town a couple of times per month (I was convinced he had a side platter going somewhere downtown) brutal for traffic

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;4468958]I'm walking from work yesterday as usual at around 5:15 , on my way from Union Square to Penn Station, when I see 23rd St. completely sealed off with barricades as I approach the Flatiron Building. "Now WTF is going on?" I mutter to myself, since I'm not allowed to walk uptown along Broadway. Then I hear someone mention that Obama is headed this way and all I'm thinking is "how soon"? I'm allowed to walk west to 7th Ave. and that's the end of the line as 23rd St. and 7th is blocked off completely, save for the route where the motorcade will come north on 7th and turn right on 23rd.

Think of the scene in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind where the scientists are waiting for the arrival of the Mother Ship. First you get those little scout ships whizzing past as precursors of the Big Boy's arrival. Yesterday I'm waiting up against one of the barricades (had no choice) and one cop on a motorcycle put-puts past. Then an NYC squad car with lights on. Followed by a black sedan. Then nothing, except an empty 23rd St and lots of cops along the barricades. A few seconds later I hear a rumbling noise from the south, and it gets progressively louder. Then, in the span of 30 about seconds, tops, I see several pairs of motorcycle cops, followed close behind by about 10 NYC police cars, sirens and lights going full blast, a huge black SUV, and then the presidential limo itself, U.S. flags out front, making a very wide right turn and traveling at a modest speed. Right behind the limo was another black SUV labeled "Emergency" as well as a city Ambulance, and finally followed by another big vehicle marked "Press." It was all over quickly but that was my first encounter with anything like that. Pretty cool, no matter your political persuasion.[/QUOTE]

Were there two limos? I thought he typically has two identical limos - with one serving as a decoy? I caught his motorcade from my office a few months ago when he crossed town on 48th street going to the Firehouse on 8th Avenue. We were watching out of an office that had a view as his route was made public earlier in the day.

Its pretty amazing how they will announce what route the Prez is taking. Considering all the precautions they take and the amount of manpower they commit to protecting him, you'd think his route would be of utmost secrecy.

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;4468958]I'm walking from work yesterday as usual at around 5:15 , on my way from Union Square to Penn Station, when I see 23rd St. completely sealed off with barricades as I approach the Flatiron Building. "Now WTF is going on?" I mutter to myself, since I'm not allowed to walk uptown along Broadway. Then I hear someone mention that Obama is headed this way and all I'm thinking is "how soon"? I'm allowed to walk west to 7th Ave. and that's the end of the line as 23rd St. and 7th is blocked off completely, save for the route where the motorcade will come north on 7th and turn right on 23rd.

Think of the scene in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind where the scientists are waiting for the arrival of the Mother Ship. First you get those little scout ships whizzing past as precursors of the Big Boy's arrival. Yesterday I'm waiting up against one of the barricades (had no choice) and one cop on a motorcycle put-puts past. Then an NYC squad car with lights on. Followed by a black sedan. Then nothing, except an empty 23rd St and lots of cops along the barricades. A few seconds later I hear a rumbling noise from the south, and it gets progressively louder. Then, in the span of 30 about seconds, tops, I see several pairs of motorcycle cops, followed close behind by about 10 NYC police cars, sirens and lights going full blast, a huge black SUV, and then the presidential limo itself, U.S. flags out front, making a very wide right turn and traveling at a modest speed. Right behind the limo was another black SUV labeled "Emergency" as well as a city Ambulance, and finally followed by another big vehicle marked "Press." It was all over quickly but that was my first encounter with anything like that. Pretty cool, no matter your political persuasion.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an awesome experience....and a bit like waiting for the tour de france a few years ago when LA was in yellow

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4468977][B]Were there two limos? [/B] I thought he typically has two identical limos - with one serving as a decoy? I caught his motorcade from my office a few months ago when he crossed town on 48th street going to the Firehouse on 8th Avenue. We were watching out of an office that had a view as his route was made public earlier in the day.

Its pretty amazing how they will announce what route the Prez is taking. Considering all the precautions they take and the amount of manpower they commit to protecting him, you'd think his route would be of utmost secrecy.[/QUOTE]

I may have missed the decoy limo, but if I did, I missed a huge vehicle. That was the other thing I noticed - how big that friggin' thing is.

Veteran
    It was probably just one of his daughters going out for a $100,000.00 ice cream. :eek: