Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com: Tim Tebow winning over Jets Staff

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean, ideally, this is good news. We want Tebow to be a good player.

But in reality...brace yourselves!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way too early to write Sanchez or Tebow off. Mechanics can be fixed (usually) if the player works at it.

At 24, Elway, the dude who didn't think Tebow was good enough for Denver, was putting up worse/similar numbers than Tebow and Sanchez. He ended up playing so long he finally won two Super Bowls (though his career completion %, interception rate, passer rating, sacks taken, etc., are not the prettiest of all time -- actually much like Sanchez's career path so far. go check 'em out).

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4469562]Way too early to write Sanchez or Tebow off. Mechanics can be fixed (usually) if the player works at it.

At 24, Elway, the dude who didn't think Tebow was good enough for Denver, was putting up worse/similar numbers than Tebow and Sanchez. [B]He ended up playing so long he finally won two Super Bowls[/B] (though his career completion %, interception rate, passer rating, sacks taken, etc., are not the prettiest of all time -- actually much like Sanchez's career path so far. go check 'em out).[/QUOTE]

Thanks to Terrell Davis..:yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4469452]Anyone else worried that our QB coach thinks tebow's mechanics are 'good' ?[/QUOTE]

At least he didn't compare him to Aikman..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4469563]Thanks to Terrell Davis..:yes:[/QUOTE]

+ 9 billion

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand the point of this article.

Tebow's "winning over" the Jets staff? What does that mean? They weren't already won over when they excitedly traded for the guy not too long ago? Except for Cromartie's criticism prior to the trade, I've only heard positive things about Tebow from the Jets staff, including comments given in the days immediately after the trade. Nothing's changed, but that doesn't make a good story, I suppose.

Then there's other stories where Jets players, like Revis, "rave" about Tebow... and say absolutely nothing new. But that gives another wannabe journalist a fresh opportunity to point out that Revis didn't rave equally about Sanchez. I'd ask that same journalist if he asked Revis a single question about Mark Sanchez, or even mentioned his name, but I know that answer already: No.

-- And for the record? I was hoping to replace our QB coach this year, too. But Cavanaugh still knows a whole lot more about quarterbacks than anybody on any Jets forum, so I'll wait to watch Tebow play in a Jets uniform before I start shooting holes in Cavanaugh's analysis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4470679]I don't understand the point of this article.

Tebow's "winning over" the Jets staff? What does that mean? They weren't already won over when they excitedly traded for the guy not too long ago? Except for Cromartie's criticism prior to the trade, I've only heard positive things about Tebow from the Jets staff, including comments given in the days immediately after the trade. Nothing's changed, but that doesn't make a good story, I suppose.

Then there's other stories where Jets players, like Revis, "rave" about Tebow... and say absolutely nothing new. But that gives another wannabe journalist a fresh opportunity to point out that Revis didn't rave equally about Sanchez. I'd ask that same journalist if he asked Revis a single question about Mark Sanchez, or even mentioned his name, but I know that answer already: No.

-- And for the record? I was hoping to replace our QB coach this year, too. But Cavanaugh still knows a whole lot more about quarterbacks than anybody on any Jets forum, so I'll wait to watch Tebow play in a Jets uniform before I start shooting holes in Cavanaugh's analysis.[/QUOTE]

WRT Tebow, I'd guess he is winning them over by being exactly as advertised, so to speak, or being exactly what they thought he was, if not more.

I mean, it's one thing to hear and believe platitudes about someone, but in the back of your mind, you might be thinking, "man, this has to be a bit of an exaggeration".

Another thing is the psychological disconnect between hearing something about someone and actually seeing it in person. For example, I can try to tell you how great so and so was in concert, but when you actually go and hear them for yourself, you might be completely blown away.

Or when someone else tries to impress upon you just how smoking hot a girl is, but then you see her yourself and you go "Dayyummmmmmm".

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4469452]Anyone else worried that our QB coach thinks tebow's mechanics are 'good' ?[/QUOTE]
    :rofl:
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4470679]I don't understand the point of this article.

Tebow's "winning over" the Jets staff? What does that mean? .

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez is not winning over the new staff.
    Last edited by cedk; 05-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4470691]WRT Tebow, I'd guess he is winning them over by being exactly as advertised, so to speak, or being exactly what they thought he was, if not more.

I mean, it's one thing to hear and believe platitudes about someone, but in the back of your mind, you might be thinking, "man, this has to be a bit of an exaggeration".

Another thing is the psychological disconnect between hearing something about someone and actually seeing it in person. For example, I can try to tell you how great so and so was in concert, but when you actually go and hear them for yourself, you might be completely blown away.

Or when someone else tries to impress upon you just how smoking hot a girl is, but then you see her yourself and you go "Dayyummmmmmm".[/QUOTE]

In the interest of journalism, I'd be more inclined to use a headline like "Tebow Performing As Advertised," but I hear what you're saying. I just don't like the agenda the media seems to be pushing, as they build up Tebow with the hope of crowning him the King of NY at some point mid-season...even though the Jets were high on him to begin with.

But again, I get what you mean. Hearing about it and seeing it first hand are two difference things. And it sounds like good news to me that the Jets coaches have already seen from Tebow those traits and talents that persuaded them to acquire him. Next step is to see it translate cleanly to the field. And I'm a "glass is half full" guy with the Jets from now on, so I'm excited.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pray the Jets know what they are doing here. This is the first time I am questioning Rex and Tanny. Either this will be a great motivational tool for Sanchez and he exceeds expectations or this blows up big time and we lose Sanchez; and please don't give me Tebow as we all know he is NOT the answer.

Rex and Tanny are playing a dangerous game here and this may backfire costing them both their jobs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4470711]I pray the Jets know what they are doing here. This is the first time I am questioning Rex and Tanny. Either this will be a great motivational tool for Sanchez and he exceeds expectations or this blows up big time and we lose Sanchez; and please don't give me Tebow as we all know he is NOT the answer.

Rex and Tanny are playing a dangerous game here and this may backfire costing them both their jobs.[/QUOTE]

This is my concern as well and for people to say that this is no biggie I have been out here long enough to remember when posters were saying the Jets FO could do no wrong by making Adrian Clarke a starter and that he was replacing JAGS and that it was no big deal either:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Refuel;4470702]In the interest of journalism, I'd be more inclined to use a headline like "Tebow Performing As Advertised," but I hear what you're saying. I just don't like the agenda the media seems to be pushing, as they build up Tebow with the hope of crowning him the King of NY at some point mid-season...even though the Jets were high on him to begin with.

But again, I get what you mean. Hearing about it and seeing it first hand are two difference things. And it sounds like good news to me that the Jets coaches have already seen from Tebow those traits and talents that persuaded them to acquire him. Next step is to see it translate cleanly to the field. And I'm a "glass is half full" guy with the Jets from now on, so I'm excited.[/QUOTE]

I readily admit that I'm a noob when it comes to how the NY Media portrays things and possibly tries to stir things up, so I could be wrong. :)

I hope it translates to the field and am excited as well. :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4470711]I pray the Jets know what they are doing here. This is the first time I am questioning Rex and Tanny. Either this will be a great motivational tool for Sanchez and he exceeds expectations or this blows up big time and we lose Sanchez; and please don't give me Tebow as we all know he is NOT the answer.

Rex and Tanny are playing a dangerous game here and this may backfire costing them both their jobs.[/QUOTE]

How will the trade for Tebow EVER backfire?

If he does what he was brought in to do, it will be a great addition. If he does improve so much, and overtake the starting QB role, this is a bad thing?

It's a win-win to me.

But I'm also completely 100% confident in Sanchez and shoving a lot of crow down a lot of throats.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4470725]How will the trade for Tebow EVER backfire?

If he does what he was brought in to do, it will be a great addition. If he does improve so much, and overtake the starting QB role, this is a bad thing?

It's a win-win to me.

But I'm also completely 100% confident in Sanchez and shoving a lot of crow down a lot of throats.[/QUOTE]

Thought process for some is that if Sanchez does poorly, then zombie Tebow fans will be chanting his name and that the incredibly weak coaching staff will succumb to the pressure and start Tebow even though he is the absolute worst QB to ever play the game and will always suck, no matter what.

That seems to be their mind set at any rate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is Revis' comments on Tebow etc ...

Jets starting quarterback Mark Sanchez has Joe Namath in his corner. Jets backup quarterback/personal punt protector Tim Tebow enjoys the support of a guy who has slightly more pull in the locker room.

Cornerback Darrelle Revis sees something special in Tebow. “He’s a born leader, he really is,” Revis said Wednesday, via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com. “Very few athletes have the gift he has. He tries to lead by example all the time. He tries to be positive, which is awesome, and that [has resulted] in his success on the field. . . .

“Some people have it, some guys don’t. It’s the passion within, wanting to be a leader, wanting to win. You see it all the time, eating lunch, walking down the hallway. You see it.”

Revis didn’t say whether Sanchez is one of the people who have it, or one of those who don’t. But given that Revis has never said anything like that about Sanchez in three-plus years together and that Revis is saying it now after less than two months with Tebow in town is telling.

“He’s a playmaker, he makes plays, he wins games,” Revis said of Tebow. “He’s one of those guys. He’s very positive. He has passion for whatever he does. You can see it on him.”

With Revis talking that way, it’s going to be even harder to keep Tebow off the field. Or to use him only on special teams. Unless Sanchez plays like Namath in 1968, it seems like it will be only a matter of time before plenty of guys in the the locker room openly are questioning why Tebow isn’t leading the team on a full-time basis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What could it possibly be that the worst player in the history of the NFL at his position is doing,that has so many worried about him taking something everyone says he can't take,because he doesn't have the skill set to take?

What exactly has this kid done to warrant this much attention whether it be positive or negative?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4470765]What could it possibly be that the worst player in the history of the NFL at his position is doing,that has so many worried about him taking something everyone says he can't take,because he doesn't have the skill set to take?

What exactly has this kid done to warrant this much attention whether it be positive or negative?[/QUOTE]

Aside from winning a ton of games at every level he has ever played at ? Aside from winning Championships at all the previous levels he has played at ?

BTW, your claim that he's "the worst player in the history of the NFL at his position" is a crock of bull****, but I'm sure that won't stop you from repeating the mantra.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4470769]Aside from winning a ton of games at every level he has ever played at ? Aside from winning Championships at all the previous levels he has played at ?

BTW, your claim that he's "the worst player in the history of the NFL at his position" is a crock of bull****, but I'm sure that won't stop you from repeating the mantra.[/QUOTE]

What is the mantra.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4470725]How will the trade for Tebow EVER backfire?

It's a win-win to me.

But I'm also completely 100% confident in Sanchez and shoving a lot of crow down a lot of throats.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe Sanchez is mentally strong enough to endure Tebow. Sparano will want to call Tebows number and the fans will want it Sanchez is done

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=auctionking;4470781]I do not believe Sanchez is mentally strong enough to endure Tebow. Sparano will want to call Tebows number and the fans will want it Sanchez is done[/QUOTE]

Nonsense, that is media drivel, there is no basis to even consider it.

He's had no problem in the spotlight the first 3 years.