Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Namath says Sanchez better than Tebow.

Namath says Sanchez better than Tebow.

Joe Namath calls Jets QB Mark Sanchez 'much better' than Tim Tebow

Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 8:30 PM Updated: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 8:35 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Namath said he prefers Mark Sanchez over Tim Tebow for the starting job this year.

NEW YORK — Joe Namath, never one to hide his opinions, left no uncertainty about which quarterback on the Jets roster he thinks is best.

The legendary Jets quarterback called Mark Sanchez “sensational” and “much better” than back-up Tim Tebow.

“There’s no doubt about it, there’s no doubt about it at all,” Namath said Tuesday night at the United Way’s Gridiron Gala. “At this point, certainly. And Mark’s going to get better.
    He’s going into his fourth year. Golly, I remember a team that won a championship with a quarterback in his fourth year. I hope it happens again.”

Namath, of course, referred to the Super Bowl III championship he won for the Jets in his fourth pro season. He was in attendance last night as Jets right guard Brandon Moore and Giants right guard Chris Snee were honored as “Hometown Heroes” for their
    community service.

Namath was originally publicly critical of the Jets’ trade for Tebow in March, saying at the time he was baffled and accusing the team of trying to “grab headlines.” But a few weeks later, he seems to have warmed to the acquisition.

He believes the balance between the two players can work, citing his respect for new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. His initial skepticism stemmed from the fact that teams that use Wildcat packages like Tebow is expected to run generally have questions at the quarterback position. But he is confident the Jets “have something up their sleeve” and that Tebow will be a positive addition.

“I’m a big Mark Sanchez fan. I’ve also been a Tebow fan since his freshman year at Florida,” Namath said. “When draft day came up, I said, ‘Somebody’s got to draft this kid,’ because he’s only positive for the team, for anybody, whatever work he does. He’s going to bring a lot of positive vibes and effort, and it’s a plus.”

But he added, “How it works out, I don’t know. That remains to be seen.”

Namath’s belief in Sanchez’s skills is strong enough that he said he’d be “tickled to death” if he were in Sanchez’s position. He explained that Sanchez knows he’s the better quarterback, and his attitude should be, “bring on the competition.”

But he also admitted that the situation could get sticky at times, in terms of how Sanchez responds.

“That’s going be sensitive; that’s going to be tough,” Namath said. “We’ll wait and see what’s happening. Of course, when things aren’t going well, we’re a little bit touchy, and it’s easy to get upset with some things, some things can get on your nerves. As a quarterback, I’d like to take every snap in practice that I can get. It’s going to remain to be seen how many snaps, how they share the snaps in practice come regular-season time.”

Namath’s criticisms of the Jets in recent years have strained his relationship with the team. He said he’s working on patching up the relationship, but it’s still tenuous. He’s not sure if he’ll be at training camp at Cortland.

“It’s rough, none of us like to be critiqued or criticized in a negative way,” Namath said. “It gets bent sometimes. I don’t like feeling the vibes that I get back whenever I cross (owner) Woody (Johnson’s) path. (Coach) Rex (Ryan) and I have been getting along well when we bump into each other, but I know there’s an underlying sensitivity there that the Jets have.”

Hall Of Fame
    In other news, Namath passed his yearly eye exam. And is laying off the cough-syrup.

Everything he's said about the team in the past, has been on the money.

Hall Of Fame
    Joe Namath hates Christians.

I would think since he sold his soul to the devil that he'd rethink that stratagem.

Y.

Strategy.

_

Competition is great. Tebow brings a positive vibe we need!

The stratagem of having a strategy is strategically sound.

Namath also once said Ken O'brien was better than Marino...

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Good write up & I really enjoy reading Jenny's work.

I'm glad Joe likes #6 as the starter and it's not a stretch to put Tebow on ST under Westhoff instead of this noise about being the back up QB. Where are all the McElroy fans? (-;

BTW - I'm wondering why Jen interviewed ole Broadway who is an ex player and not Brandon, a current player & who was being honored at the event?

Hmmmmm..............

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

McElroy should be the backup! He's the perfect guy for the job. Tebow is an awesome human being and one the best football players to come along in years. Tim could be a HOF, HB/TE/RB/Option QB.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=TJ;4469431]McElroy should be the backup! He's the perfect guy for the job. Tebow is an awesome human being and one the best football players to come along in years. Tim could be a HOF, HB/TE/RB/Option QB.[/QUOTE]

McElroy should be cut. So should tebow and holmes, but that's for another thread.

[QUOTE=green and white forever;4469370]Everything he's said about the team in the past, has been on the money.[/QUOTE]

yep, has been for yrs. tells it like it is

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Funaz;4469484]McElroy should be cut. So should tebow and holmes, but that's for another thread.[/QUOTE]

So of course, you mentioned it in this thread. I guess all three of these players are threats to your beloved.

[QUOTE=Funaz;4469484]McElroy should be cut. So should tebow and holmes, but that's for another thread.[/QUOTE]

I know it's been said before, but cutting McElroy purely because of a candid interview with an out of town news outlet months ago, after ALL the Jets have been through lately with the media, is the height of hypocrisy. He meant zero harm to the Jets, unlike the media jackals who are feasting on Jets drama day in and day out. Give the kid a chance.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-16-2012 at 01:25 AM.

I heard Namath also prefers brunette female reporters for a smooch while drunk.

[QUOTE=Biff Kippington;4469508]I heard Namath also prefers brunette female reporters for a smooch while drunk.[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for confirmation on that before spreading such hot, relevant news. :cool:

Joe may say things that rub certain Jets fans the wrong way, but he's been on point way more often than not.

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;4469515]I'd wait for confirmation on that before spreading such hot, relevant news. :cool:

Joe may say things that rub certain Jets fans the wrong way, but he's been on point way more often than not.[/QUOTE]

well, he's had 40 years and 400,000+ drinks to do it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4469507]I know it's been said before, but cutting McElroy purely because of a candid interview with an out of town news outlet months ago, after ALL the Jets have been through lately with the media, is the height of hypocrisy. He meant zero harm to the Jets, unlike the media jackals who are feasting on Jets drama day in and day out. Give the kid a chance.[/QUOTE]

How did a Pats fan become one of our better posters? :confused: I agree with you

[QUOTE=Biff Kippington;4469517]well, he's had 40 years and 400,000+ drinks to do it.[/QUOTE]

To do what?

Broadway Joe sharing that insight. But really, we all knew this.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4469338]In other news, Namath passed his yearly eye exam. And is laying off the cough-syrup.[/QUOTE]

Stole my joke.

***BREAKING NEWS***

Joe Namath is possession of at least one, and potentially two, eyeballs that grant him the miraculous power of sight.