Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My dinner with Tone

My dinner with Tone

I had to edit this piece, so people don't "waste their time".

Intent of thread:
    1 - Cool Experience
    2 - Changed my perception of Tone
    3 - He said some stuff that made me more confident in the upcoming season

Short, short version:

I met Tone. We ate. Gave me confidence in Season.

Short Version:

I was mad at Tone before dinner. We connected, over a few hours, on a person to person basis. The stories he shared with me makes me believe in the team and their potential for success. He feels the right pieces are in place and they can make it happen. He was genuine and I now have a lot of respect for him.

Just thought I would share what I thought was a good evening and share that I am more confident in this season because of what Tone shared with me.

Original Version:

At last year's bowling event, I won the bidding on a dinner with Tone.

Tonight was the night of the dinner. We hung out for about 3 hours.

It was me, my GF, another couple (whom we went in half on the bid for dinner) and a marketing person from Shannon Rose, where we ate.

I was so mad at Tone for Miami. I had toyed with the idea of just telling him off and bouncing, but the other couple and my GF deserved their time with him.

He showed up and I made a decision to just not talk to him as a fan, but just as a person. We kicked off the evening talking about us, not him. We just shared stories about driving, riding MC, tickets, hobbies, our jobs, etc.

I think he realized we were not going to fan boy him, and he really opened up. We got into some personal stuff about him and his family. He really opened up and shared some private stuff with us. I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

We also spoke a bit about the Jets, last year, this year, the new players, his old team, etc. Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

He confirmed a lot of what we, the fans, believe about people on the team and no longer with the team. He also shared some very interesting info about the issues on the team last year. I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

After dinner, it was picture time. He was again, exceedingly gracious with us, and the staff at the restaurant. His day started this morning at 5:00 or so, he played in a charity golf event, and came to dinner with us. Dinner started at 8:30 and went until 11:30. He did not even ask to leave, we suggested that we should be done and he should leave. This was around 11:00. He then took pics with us for the next half hour, even though he was dog tired.

He also mentioned us on Twitter, which was really cool.

So overall, Tone is a genuinely normal and good dude. The team is in good shape and we should be confident going into this season. I was wrong in my perception of him.
    Last edited by millsan1; 05-17-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: People are morons

[IMG]http://www.doranna.net/wordplay/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dryerballs.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Rexipus Rex;4469501][IMG]http://www.doranna.net/wordplay/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dryerballs.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lol

Veteran
    This sounds like good news

[QUOTE=Jet-Faith;4469503]This sounds like good news[/QUOTE]

I am straight up amped after this. He was completely honest with us, and the positives he put out there make me even more excited for this year.

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469500]At last year's bowling event, I won the bidding on a dinner with Tone.

Tonight was the night of the dinner. We hung out for about 3 hours.

It was me, my GF, another couple (whom we went in half on the bid for dinner) and a marketing person from Shannon Rose, where we ate.

I was so mad at Tone for Miami.[B] I had toyed with the idea of just telling him off and bouncing[/B], but the other couple and my GF deserved their time with him.

He showed up and I made a decision to just not talk to him as a fan, but just as a person. We kicked off the evening talking about us, not him. We just shared stories about driving, riding MC, tickets, hobbies, our jobs, etc.

I think he realized we were not going to fan boy him, and he really opened up. We got into some personal stuff about him and his family. He really opened up and shared some private stuff with us. I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

We also spoke a bit about the Jets, last year, this year, the new players, his old team, etc. Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

He confirmed a lot of what we, the fans, believe about people on the team and no longer with the team. He also shared some very interesting info about the issues on the team last year. I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

After dinner, it was picture time. He was again, exceedingly gracious with us, and the staff at the restaurant. His day started this morning at 5:00 or so, he played in a charity golf event, and came to dinner with us. Dinner started at 8:30 and went until 11:30. He did not even ask to leave, we suggested that we should be done and he should leave. This was around 11:00. He then took pics with us for the next half hour, even though he was dog tired.

He also mentioned us on Twitter, which was really cool.

So overall, Tone is a genuinely normal and good dude. The team is in good shape and we should be confident going into this season. I was wrong in my perception of him.[/QUOTE]

That would have been awesome. Jk, I'm very jealous. A private dinner with any current NFL star would be amazing. And Holmes is as likely as anyone to keep it real. Wish you could at least hint a bit more to his words, though.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-16-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nothing groundbreaking here. Expected better.

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4469514]Nothing groundbreaking here. Expected better.[/QUOTE]

Keeping my word to another man is more important to me than most anything, least of all satisfying people on a fan board, sorry.
    Last edited by millsan1; 05-16-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Tough for me to forgive him. Funny thing is that I love his game, he's not exceptional at any one thing, but he makes big plays. He should really benefit from having Stephen Hill opposite him this season. We'll see

All Pro
    Lmao you coulda just kept this to yourself like everything else in this post... You literally gave us nothing..

Infact I'm ready to "tell YOU off and Bounce" for making waste my time reading this. Lol
    Last edited by Scoop24; 05-16-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks for sharing to the extent you could, it was an enjoyable read.

Kudos for keeping your word.

Veteran
    By not sharing his thoughts on the team, do to think he's gonna call you up and invite you out for a beer or something?

Waste of a post, no information on this except he put on a facade for a publicized dinner with a fan.

I like Santonio, I just hope he comes to play this season.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=heymangold;4469537]By not sharing his thoughts on the team, do to think he's gonna call you up and invite you out for a beer or something?

Waste of a post, no information on this except he put on a facade for a publicized dinner with a fan.

I like Santonio, I just hope he comes to play this season.[/QUOTE]

Harsh but true.

We want details dammmmmmmmit.

[QUOTE=heymangold;4469537]By not sharing his thoughts on the team, do to think he's gonna call you up and invite you out for a beer or something?

I like Santonio, I just hope he comes to play this season.[/QUOTE]

No, i think i get to look at myself in the mirror and know i kept my word.

No facade, he was being very real.

Sorry i cant share more, the thrust of this was intended to be one of a positive outlook on the team for the year, from one of the star players.

I just love cynicism. It's so uplifting.

[QUOTE=bullitt929;4469540]I just love cynicism. It's so uplifting.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Didn't the day just begin for many on this board? how can the glass already be half empty so early?

It's a cool story -- I just have trouble thinking what could be so important that he'd say it to a stranger, but not want him to share it with other strangers.

Not saying it's not true, just kinda weird . . .

What a bunch of selfish peckerheads. I got your message, thanks for sharing!

[QUOTE=BamaJets;4469541]Yeah. Didn't the day just begin for many on this board? how can the glass already be half empty so early?[/QUOTE]

It's never too early to be cynical for a Jet fan:yes:

[QUOTE=MagroCrag;4469548]It's never too early to be cynical for a Jet fan:yes:[/QUOTE]

good point