Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: My dinner with Tone

[QUOTE=Savage69;4471534]Anything anyone ever said that I remember I would be happy to share.. Hmmm Klecko,Lyons and Larry Faulk didn't like Gastineau any shock there?? Oh and Klecko said if 40 times was so important he never would have had a sack but lucky for him the QB wasn't 40 yds behind the line .. And ALL players take some plays off.. Namath talked mostly about girls, he rented a house in Garden city and he left the bar with Mike Battle and 6 coeds from Hofstra after practice and about 8 scotches.. [B]Hell I'm surprised Favre never asked you to take him deer hunting..:[/B]yes:[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't have been able to keep up with me.

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469500]I had to edit this piece, so people don't "waste their time".

Intent of thread:
    1 - Cool Experience
    2 - Changed my perception of Tone
    3 - He said some stuff that made me more confident in the upcoming season

Short, short version:

I met Tone. We ate. Gave me confidence in Season.

Short Version:

I was mad at Tone before dinner. We connected, over a few hours, on a person to person basis. The stories he shared with me makes me believe in the team and their potential for success. He feels the right pieces are in place and they can make it happen. He was genuine and I now have a lot of respect for him.

Just thought I would share what I thought was a good evening and share that I am more confident in this season because of what Tone shared with me.

Original Version:

At last year's bowling event, I won the bidding on a dinner with Tone.

Tonight was the night of the dinner. We hung out for about 3 hours.

It was me, my GF, another couple (whom we went in half on the bid for dinner) and a marketing person from Shannon Rose, where we ate.

I was so mad at Tone for Miami. I had toyed with the idea of just telling him off and bouncing, but the other couple and my GF deserved their time with him.

He showed up and I made a decision to just not talk to him as a fan, but just as a person. We kicked off the evening talking about us, not him. We just shared stories about driving, riding MC, tickets, hobbies, our jobs, etc.

I think he realized we were not going to fan boy him, and he really opened up. We got into some personal stuff about him and his family. He really opened up and shared some private stuff with us. I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

We also spoke a bit about the Jets, last year, this year, the new players, his old team, etc. Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

He confirmed a lot of what we, the fans, believe about people on the team and no longer with the team. He also shared some very interesting info about the issues on the team last year. I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

After dinner, it was picture time. He was again, exceedingly gracious with us, and the staff at the restaurant. His day started this morning at 5:00 or so, he played in a charity golf event, and came to dinner with us. Dinner started at 8:30 and went until 11:30. He did not even ask to leave, we suggested that we should be done and he should leave. This was around 11:00. He then took pics with us for the next half hour, even though he was dog tired.

He also mentioned us on Twitter, which was really cool.

So overall, Tone is a genuinely normal and good dude. The team is in good shape and we should be confident going into this season. I was wrong in my perception of him.[/QUOTE]

What is the purpose of this? You decided that "Tone", was a good guy based on having dinner.

Veteran
    [url]https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2222589959/screwface.jpg[/url]

Sick pic dude.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=millsan1;4471018]OK, for those of you who think that I shared nothing, let's make it shorter and sweeter than my third simplification.

I met Tone. We ate. Gave me confidence in Season.

OK?

I merely posted for 3 reasons:

1 - Cool Experience
    2 - Changed my perception of Tone
    3 - He said some stuff that made me more confident in the upcoming season

For that I am getting bashed for not betraying my word, regardless of if the info is public or he told 100 other people or not. If I saw a public story associated with something Tone and I discussed, I would not mind adding "He told me the same thing" as it would be public at that point. However, I have not seen any public stories associated with the topics covered in our conversation, so I will not put it out there.

On a side note, we talked about football for about 20-30 minutes during the 3 hour meal. We spent the rest of the time telling jokes, sharing life stories, talking about kids, travel, etc. None of which would be of any interest to anyone, nor do I want to share, as it was just some people BSing over dinner.

I do appreciate those of you who understand my stance and give me support/kudos. To sum it up, all a man has at the end of the day is his word.[/QUOTE]

I don't think people are hating on you or begrudging you for having what sounds like a great evening. I do think:
    1. By definition, the people who frequent this board are ravenous Jets fans (finger sniffing Chowds excluded, of course).
    2. Said ravenous fans are a fragile bunch b/c we've been stabbed in the heart so many times.
    3. We're coming off a year where the team totally melted down, ending a promising season in just about the worst way.
    4. The guy your story is about is the face of the collapse and is disliked by much of the fanbase for his "handiwork"
    5. You teased readers several rimes by mentioning your inside info. It's not a huge deal and no one hates you but can't you see that how you wrote it added to people's frustrations?

I know you were just excited about a cool evening that many of us would have liked to have had. I get that YOU are more optimistic b/c of what Holes told you. That's great.

Just try and see it from the perspective of people who read your OP and your Braylon follow up.

Like I said, glad you had a great time and feel good about the team. Understandable why you won't share a private convo. Just don't make yourself out to be a MB martyr.

Go Jets!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4471253]+1000 -[B] When did JI turn into a bunch douchebags??[/B]

There was enough there to read between the lines. Is tone perfect? No, many aren't. But he's a Jet, and we may as well hope for the best, than worry about the rest.[/QUOTE]

When did the site start?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4471910]I get that YOU are more optimistic b/c of what [B]Holes[/B] told you. That's great.

[/QUOTE]
    Freudian slip? LOL

Excellent post. Pretty much sums it up.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jordy;4471933]
    Excellent post. Pretty much sums it up.[/QUOTE]

Nah. The main problem is the thread title.

If he just called it "My dinner with Tone (of which I will not tell you anything of interest)" this would have run out of gas 7 pages ago.

The OP is guilty of being an attention whore c*ck tease. It has nothing to do with us. We're simply calling him out on it.

The martyrdom is a quality spin attempt though. Doesn't wash, but strategically sound. "A" for effort on the damage control.

Wow, I guess you got me, so I better respond, since you called me a name. Here it goessssssnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

some people on this board tend to be *******s at times, cut the dude a break...obv he thought it was cool he had dinner with holmes...he wanted to share it with people on the JETS BOARD. i personaly feel better knowing then a normal person spoke to him, and he got enough to feel better about the whole holmes/sanchez situation...but then again...i take things as they come...i dont look to jump on people like some of you morons.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4472008]Nah. The main problem is the thread title.

If he just called it "My dinner with Tone (of which I will not tell you anything of interest)" this would have run out of gas 7 pages ago.

The OP is guilty of being an attention whore c*ck tease. It has nothing to do with us. We're simply calling him out on it.

The martyrdom is a quality spin attempt though. Doesn't wash, but strategically sound. "A" for effort on the damage control.[/QUOTE]

Relax TJW, it's almost the weekend, this is not a big deal. Guy meant no harm (he has 326 posts!). Like he said, no a pro writer. Let it go and start happy hour. ;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4471596]He wouldn't have been able to keep up with me.[/QUOTE]

So you're smarter than deer and Brett (sends wang pics) Farve. MENSA here you come! ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4472162]So you're smarter than deer and Brett (sends wang pics) Farve. MENSA here you come! ;)[/QUOTE]

Nobody gets in and out of a tree stand faster than Mainejet!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4472184]Nobody gets in and out of a tree stand faster than Mainejet![/QUOTE]

The Shrub Shuttle? :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4472186]The Shrub Shuttle? :D[/QUOTE]

Which reminds me of that epic poster Jetsrule666 & his obsession with hiding behind the bushes at Hofstra University while watching the team practice.

Good times I tell ya, good times.

:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4472188]Which reminds me of that epic poster Jetsrule666 & his obsession with hiding behind the bushes at Hofstra University while watching the team practice.

Good times I tell ya, good times.

:D[/QUOTE]

If ever "harmless" and "creepy" fit together....:D

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4471652]What is the purpose of this? You decided that "Tone", was a good guy based on having dinner.[/QUOTE]

To brag about how he has private information that he isn't going to share with anyone and to brag about how he regularly pays $300-500 for meals with his gf.

Holy crap are you guys a bunch of suspicious haters. Good lord.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4472206] to brag about how he regularly pays $300-500 for meals with his gf.[/QUOTE]

That was very SAR-like wasn't it?

I think that's where I turned.

Guy makes a donation to charity, which leads to dinner with a prominent Jet. Guy and girlfriend have good time, guy goes from suspicious of Jet to liking and respecting him. Guy lets Jet know that details of dinner won't find their way into public forum. Guy thinks a few Jet fans might be interested in some information about the dinner, even though his personal integrity prevents him from giving much detail. Guy is right, a few Jet fans are in fact interested in his generalized comments about the dinner.

Several other Jet fans are dissatisfied. They are uninterested in guy's personal integrity, they want information, dammit! So guy gets to be the recipient of multiple insults, have his motives questioned, be accused of being an attention whore, and other niceties. To the tune of 200 posts. But not to worry, because accusers get to metaphorically high five one another with the brilliance of their collective biting wit.

Again, my thanks for the good read, Millsan.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bullitt929;4472240] Again, my thanks for the good read, Millsan.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Thanks for the OP with all the equivalent informational/nutritional value of a rice cake!