Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My dinner with Tone

Sounds like a very nice evening..

Thanks for the report.

Too bad you arent a scumbag that doesn't give a shyte about privacy...it might be a better post..:)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469539] [B]No, i think i get to look at myself in the mirror and know i kept my word.[/B]No facade, he was being very real.

Sorry i cant share more, the thrust of this was intended to be one of a positive outlook on the team for the year, from one of the star players.[/QUOTE]

Then you should not have posted period.. Kids like to play I know something you don't but I'm not telling nah nah nah.. In a more extreme situation I hope you never have dinner with a terrorist and promise him you won't tell anyone what he's going to blow up because Tone helped blow the Jets up last season..:cool:

[QUOTE=OCCH;4469542]It's a cool story -- I just have trouble thinking what could be so important that he'd say it to a stranger, but not want him to share it with other strangers.

Not saying it's not true, just kinda weird . . .[/QUOTE]

The stuff he talked about would make the news. At the end of dinner, he surmised it something like this:

"I could tell you are a real person, so I was real with you. Some people get the front, you guys got the real me, all day"

I have no reason to doubt him, and I am not some star eyed fan boy. I am the same NJ born and raised no BS guy that a lot of us are.

Jets Insider VIP
    millsan, do you want to go to dinner with us next week? We won't fanboy you so you'll feel comfortable enough to open up.

[QUOTE=Savage69;4469553]Then you should not have posted period.. [B]Kids like to play I know something you don't but I'm not telling nah nah nah..[/B] In a more extreme situation I hope you never have dinner with a terrorist and promise him you won't tell anyone what he's going to blow up because Tone helped blow the Jets up last season..:cool:[/QUOTE]

Yep, you got me, totally my intent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469556]Yep, you got me, totally my intent.[/QUOTE]

You could have stopped at this..[B]I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

[/B]

However you had to do it twice more with..[B]Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

[/B] And.. [B]I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

[/B]

If that's not a kid saying Ha Ha I know something you don't and I'm not telling I don't know what is.. BTW did he ask that the conversations be private or was that your idea??

Since you asked, it went something like this "Tone, between us, i promise not to share on messgae boards, can you tell me about x?"

twenty questions ?

1) Did S.H. seem to *own* his mistakes from last year..or is it *always someone else ?

2) Do *you* think the friction is over ?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4469561]You could have stopped at this..[B]I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

[/B]

However you had to do it twice more with..[B]Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

[/B] And.. [B]I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

[/B]

If that's not a kid saying Ha Ha I know something you don't and I'm not telling I don't know what is.. BTW did he ask that the conversations be private or was that your idea??[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.... :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469565]Since you asked, it went something like this "Tone, between us, i promise not to share on messgae boards, can you tell me about x?"[/QUOTE]

And since he knows you so well he said stuff he normally wouldn't?? Hey I have a bridge I'm selling in Brooklyn you interested?? I've dealt with pro's in hockey,football,basketball and baseball and unless totally drunk or stoned they never say anything to a fan that they don't want getting out.. I get the fact the dinner made you feel special and you bonded with him for life but that's only in your mind..

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469500]At last year's bowling event, I won the bidding on a dinner with Tone.

Tonight was the night of the dinner. We hung out for about 3 hours.

It was me, my GF, another couple (whom we went in half on the bid for dinner) and a marketing person from Shannon Rose, where we ate.

I was so mad at Tone for Miami. I had toyed with the idea of just telling him off and bouncing, but the other couple and my GF deserved their time with him.

He showed up and I made a decision to just not talk to him as a fan, but just as a person. We kicked off the evening talking about us, not him. We just shared stories about driving, riding MC, tickets, hobbies, our jobs, etc.

I think he realized we were not going to fan boy him, and he really opened up. We got into some personal stuff about him and his family. He really opened up and shared some private stuff with us. I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

We also spoke a bit about the Jets, last year, this year, the new players, his old team, etc. Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

He confirmed a lot of what we, the fans, believe about people on the team and no longer with the team. He also shared some very interesting info about the issues on the team last year. I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

After dinner, it was picture time. He was again, exceedingly gracious with us, and the staff at the restaurant. His day started this morning at 5:00 or so, he played in a charity golf event, and came to dinner with us. Dinner started at 8:30 and went until 11:30. He did not even ask to leave, we suggested that we should be done and he should leave. This was around 11:00. He then took pics with us for the next half hour, even though he was dog tired.

He also mentioned us on Twitter, which was really cool.

So overall, Tone is a genuinely normal and good dude. The team is in good shape and we should be confident going into this season. I was wrong in my perception of him.[/QUOTE]

Great post and completely understand and respect the privacy.

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469500]At last year's bowling event, I won the bidding on a dinner with Tone.

Tonight was the night of the dinner. We hung out for about 3 hours.

It was me, my GF, another couple (whom we went in half on the bid for dinner) and a marketing person from Shannon Rose, where we ate.

I was so mad at Tone for Miami. I had toyed with the idea of just telling him off and bouncing, but the other couple and my GF deserved their time with him.

He showed up and I made a decision to just not talk to him as a fan, but just as a person. We kicked off the evening talking about us, not him. We just shared stories about driving, riding MC, tickets, hobbies, our jobs, etc.

I think he realized we were not going to fan boy him, and he really opened up. We got into some personal stuff about him and his family. He really opened up and shared some private stuff with us. I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

We also spoke a bit about the Jets, last year, this year, the new players, his old team, etc. Again, I promised privacy for his openness, so I really cant go into detail but the conversation made me feel great about how the team should improve this year.

He confirmed a lot of what we, the fans, believe about people on the team and no longer with the team. He also shared some very interesting info about the issues on the team last year. I am sure the vagueness is aggravating, but I gave my word it was a private conversation, so I will not divulge the details.

After dinner, it was picture time. He was again, exceedingly gracious with us, and the staff at the restaurant. His day started this morning at 5:00 or so, he played in a charity golf event, and came to dinner with us. Dinner started at 8:30 and went until 11:30. He did not even ask to leave, we suggested that we should be done and he should leave. This was around 11:00. He then took pics with us for the next half hour, even though he was dog tired.

He also mentioned us on Twitter, which was really cool.

So overall, Tone is a genuinely normal and good dude. The team is in good shape and we should be confident going into this season. I was wrong in my perception of him.[/QUOTE]
    Great news, appreciate the post and it's also nice to see a poster with some class, unlike a lot of these idiots

The one thing I am itching to know is what the real deal was with Braylon Edwards. What is it that 32 NFL teams know that we all don't? Although the knee is a current issue keeping teams away, his knee was not yet an issue and not the reason why all but one team passed on him last season until the 49ers gave him next to nothing to become a 4th stringer. If Holmes was classy, he probably never mentioned Braylon at the dinner.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4469561]You could have stopped at this..[B]I promised these conversations were private, so I will not say more, but rest assured, he was very forthcoming.

[/B]

[/B]

If that's not a kid saying Ha Ha I know something you don't and I'm not telling I don't know what is.. BTW did he ask that the conversations be private or was that your idea??[/QUOTE]

Hey he's giving you the general idea of what was said. I for one am glad he posted it, and I'm not dying for specific details. I always wondered about these dinners with celebrities, and how awkward they would be. Who wants to eat dinner with someone that doesn't want to be with you? Glad to see it turned out well for you.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4469578]Great news, appreciate the post and it's also nice to see a poster with some class, unlike a lot of these idiots[/QUOTE]

While we're on the subject of idiots, what "great news" could you have possibly gleaned from what millsan wrote? That he had a "great dinner"? Was that the "great news"? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    BTW... could the mods change the title of this thread to "my dinner with tone, of which I'm not going to tell you a damn thing" or something like that?

I was going to comment on this thread but decided........................

Im not going to divulge the details.

How much did this cost you?

yada yada yada

Veteran
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4469586]Hey he's giving you the general idea of what was said. I for one am glad he posted it, and I'm not dying for specific details. I always wondered about these dinners with celebrities, and how awkward they would be. Who wants to eat dinner with someone that doesn't want to be with you? Glad to see it turned out well for you.[/QUOTE]

It gives no idea what was said. All I got out of the post is that he plays for the Jets.

[QUOTE=millsan1;4469516]Keeping my word to another man is more important to me than most anything, least of all satisfying people on a fan board, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Stand up guy. Thanks for sharing.