Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez & The Jets: How Not to Develop a Young QB

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez & The Jets: How Not to Develop a Young QB

I saw this posted on reddit, a link to another site.. but this article is pretty awesome.. it's funny because it's true, which also makes it sad. The Jets really have done a poor job developing Sanchez.. Schotty and Cavanaugh have such terrible resumes and are the worst pair of coaches to develop a QB picked in the top 5 of the draft. Cavanaugh should have been shown the door along with Schotty imo.. and the revolving door at WR for this kid has been terrible.

Here's the link, hope I'm doing this right.. I don't want to break any of the rules here lol: [url]http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-how-not-to-develop-a-young-quarterback/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LeonSilver;4469692]I saw this posted on reddit, a link to another site.. but this article is pretty awesome.. it's funny because it's true, which also makes it sad. The Jets really have done a poor job developing Sanchez.. Schotty and Cavanaugh have such terrible resumes and are the worst pair of coaches to develop a QB picked in the top 5 of the draft. Cavanaugh should have been shown the door along with Schotty imo.. and the revolving door at WR for this kid has been terrible.

Here's the link, hope I'm doing this right.. I don't want to break any of the rules here lol: [url]http://turnonthejets.com/2012/05/new-york-jets-how-not-to-develop-a-young-quarterback/[/url][/QUOTE]

How the Jets have mishandled Sanchez from the beggining has been almost criminal.

They either should never have moved up to draft him or the should have done everything-- EVERYTHING--to guarantee his success.

The haters will immediately drop in and say he's been coddled his whole career, he had a top defense, top running game blahblahblah but what did they do to DEVELOP him?

Stuck him with a POS offensive coordinator and a hideous QB coach. Constantly swapped out the reciever corp and concentrated on ground and pound.

They should have gone out and gotten the BEST developer of young QBs available (I have no idea who that is--I'm not an NFL insider) and they should have surrounded him with playmakers and stuck with them. Made a commitment to Sanchez, not some ground and pound 1970s philosophy.

This is the most important year in Sanchez's development--his 4th year after having some early success (don't listen to the haters, 2009 was a fine year for a rookie and 1 year starter in college and 2010 was much improved--better than the other golden boys to start their careers Flacco and Ryan and Bradford and not quite Stafford, but injuries and Megatron mitigate that) but clearly faltering in year 3.

THIS is the most important year for Sanchez and this franchise's fortunes over the next 2-6 years.

New offensive coordinator, new offensive system, new recieving corp.

Let's concentrate on HIM and guarantee that he succeeds, or find out to a certitude that he doesn't have it THIS YEAR.

So what do we do?

Bring in a circus act and try to take as many OTA, practice, training camp and preseason snaps as possible away from him--divert whole segments of offensive practices and game planning and DEVELOPMENT time away from Sanchez to put in a spread option/wild cat bullsh*t.

Tebow's not a back up, he's a side show. A back up runs the same offense as the starter and vice-versa. Tebow is not running the Sanchez offense and Sanchez is not running the Tebow offense.

It's just disgusting what this franchise has done. You drafted this guy to be a franchise QB and you've limited him to being a ground and pound game manager with a crap offensive coordinator. He should have been turned into a gun-slinger and if he failed he should have been gone. We went half-way and now blame him.

And don't give me the "had he played better this would never have happened" bs. He's on the same or better trajectory as just about every (not all) other good young QB in the game today.

Makes me sick.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469740]How the Jets have mishandled Sanchez from the beggining has been almost criminal.

They either should never have moved up to draft him or the should have done everything-- EVERYTHING--to guarantee his success.

[/QUOTE]

[B][U]Chapter One[/U][/B] – “What you want to do is hire a defensive Head Coach who has [B]no interest in the offense whatsoever[/B]".

Right there is the problem in a nutshell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469740]How the Jets have mishandled Sanchez from the beggining has been almost criminal.

The haters will immediately drop in and say he's been coddled his whole career, he had a top defense, top running game blahblahblah but what did they do to DEVELOP him?

Stuck him with a POS offensive coordinator and a hideous QB coach. Constantly swapped out the reciever corp and concentrated on ground and pound.

They should have gone out and gotten the BEST developer of young QBs available (I have no idea who that is--I'm not an NFL insider) and they should have surrounded him with playmakers and stuck with them. Made a commitment to Sanchez, not some ground and pound 1970s philosophy.

This is the most important year in Sanchez's development--his 4th year after having some early success (don't listen to the haters, 2009 was a fine year for a rookie and 1 year starter in college and 2010 was much improved--better than the other golden boys to start their careers Flacco and Ryan and Bradford and not quite Stafford, but injuries and Megatron mitigate that) but clearly faltering in year 3.

THIS is the most important year for Sanchez and this franchise's fortunes over the next 2-6 years.

Let's concentrate on HIM and guarantee that he succeeds, or find out to a certitude that he doesn't have it THIS YEAR.

So what do we do?

Bring in a circus act and try to take as many OTA, practice, training camp and preseason snaps as possible away from him--divert whole segments of offensive practices and game planning and DEVELOPMENT time away from Sanchez to put in a spread option/wild cat bullsh*t.

Tebow's not a back up, he's a side show. A back up runs the same offense as the starter and vice-versa. Tebow is not running the Sanchez offense and Sanchez is not running the Tebow offense.

It's just disgusting what this franchise has done. You drafted this guy to be a franchise QB and you've limited him to being a ground and pound game manager with a crap offensive coordinator. He should have been turned into a gun-slinger and if he failed he should have been gone. We went half-way and now blame him.

And don't give me the "had he played better this would never have happened" bs. He's on the same or better trajectory as just about every (not all) other good young QB in the game today.

Makes me sick.

_[/QUOTE]

All I have to say is if they had faith in him they would not have done what they did.............in years 1 and 2 they had complete faith because his only challenge was mark i am 80 years old brunell. If that is not showing faith I do not know what is.

I am just guessing and not making it religous or anything but it seems to me a segment of fans have more faith in him that people who actually know football............then again the fans also had faith in gholston, clemens, ratliff, and now sanchez........:yes:

and just so you don't think i am homering i had faith in clemens so i was wrong there.:D i also thought clowney could be good:steamin:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469740]

_[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest thing.. I don't get how people can say he's been coddled when they've done everything wrong with him. Changed his receivers, not let him get comfortable, stuck him in a system that doesn't fit his strengths at all, get him an AWFUL qb coach with a history of failure.. it's a joke.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4469746][B][U]Chapter One[/U][/B] – “What you want to do is hire a defensive Head Coach who has [B]no interest in the offense whatsoever[/B]".

Right there is the problem in a nutshell.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's the biggest problem.. it would be fine if they'd had a competent offensive coordinator who could handle the job.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are quite a few other chapters that we could easily fill in.

A. Once you have a mobile, athletic, somewhat short QB, make every attempt to turn him into a straight drop-back QB, rather then roll him out or move the pocket. Make sure to MAXIMIZE his weakness in height and ability to drive the ball, by forcing him to throw directly into the collapsing pocket.

B. Further reign his athleticism but FORBIDDING him from scrambling. One of the positives in Sanchez's scouting report was his very nimble feet, which after his injury in Year 1, we took away by deterring him from running.

C. Make sure that you never run or design a play that goes beyond 12 yards. In order to further complicate the routes and the confusion in front of your new 6'2 Straight Drop Back Passer, make sure to put as many receivers and in turn, as many DEFENDERS within 5 yards of the ball at all times.

I really think the switch from Schotty to Sparano will be a HUGE step forward for sanchez and our offense. Plus adding an additional year of Kerley to the fold, along with Hill, gives us a completely new dynamic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schotty should have left with mangini. That was the biggest problem right there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

So what do we do?

Makes me sick.

_[/QUOTE]

Before I argue . . . do you care to point out your hyperboles?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4469798]There are quite a few other chapters that we could easily fill in.

A. Once you have a mobile, athletic, somewhat short QB, make every attempt to turn him into a straight drop-back QB, rather then roll him out or move the pocket. Make sure to MAXIMIZE his weakness in height and ability to drive the ball, by forcing him to throw directly into the collapsing pocket.

B. Further reign his athleticism but FORBIDDING him from scrambling. One of the positives in Sanchez's scouting report was his very nimble feet, which after his injury in Year 1, we took away by deterring him from running.

C. Make sure that you never run or design a play that goes beyond 12 yards. In order to further complicate the routes and the confusion in front of your new 6'2 Straight Drop Back Passer, make sure to put as many receivers and in turn, as many DEFENDERS within 5 yards of the ball at all times.

I really think the switch from Schotty to Sparano will be a HUGE step forward for sanchez and our offense. Plus adding an additional year of Kerley to the fold, along with Hill, gives us a completely new dynamic.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

Rex gave Shotty complete control of the offense. Shotty was too smart for his own good. Instead of playing to Sanchez's strengths, he tried to mold Sanchez to fit the offense he wanted to run. I think Sparano is more likely to mold the offense to his players strengths. I expect ground & pound, but also expect more play action passes and QB rollouts. Maybe even have a designed pass play for more than 5 yards!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

So what do we do?

Makes me sick.

_[/QUOTE]

This!

+100 Exactly what I have been *****ing about. Spot on JS, right on the money!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469740]

[/QUOTE]

Yet again spouting off with crap that's completely wrong. Did you somehow miss the recent articles that talked about how Tebow has only taken snaps as a QB? Has only worked on the REGULAR OFFENSE ? Has done NOTHING with Wildcat, Special Teams, or anything else ?

Or the article that talked about how the Jets primary focus with Tebow would be to continue to develop him as a QB ?

I'll translate that for you since you apparently had trouble with it.

Tebow IS learning the same new offense that Sanchez is learning. Tebow WILL be able to run that offense. That's what a BACKUP is supposed to do.

IN ADDITION to being able to run the normal offense, Tebow will also learn the WC plays

It's called DUAL PURPOSE. Being able to fill multiple roles. Tebow IS the BACKUP QB and will be able to run the same offense that Sanchez runs, AND, Tebow will also have a second role, which is to run Wildcat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469740]
    Tebow's not a back up, he's a side show. [B] A back up runs the same offense as the starter and vice-versa[/B]. Tebow is not running the Sanchez offense and Sanchez is not running the Tebow offense.

_[/QUOTE]

While I'm 100% with Sanchez that depends on the QB.. For a example Steve Young ran a different offense then Montana because of his running ability.. Michael Vick and Newton can do things their backups can't..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4469918]Yet again spouting off with crap that's completely wrong. Did you somehow miss the recent articles that talked about how Tebow has only taken snaps as a QB? Has only worked on the REGULAR OFFENSE ? Has done NOTHING with Wildcat, Special Teams, or anything else ?

Or the article that talked about how the Jets primary focus with Tebow would be to continue to develop him as a QB ?

I'll translate that for you since you apparently had trouble with it.

Tebow IS learning the same new offense that Sanchez is learning. Tebow WILL be able to run that offense. That's what a BACKUP is supposed to do.

IN ADDITION to being able to run the normal offense, Tebow will also learn the WC plays

It's called DUAL PURPOSE. Being able to fill multiple roles. Tebow IS the BACKUP QB and will be able to run the same offense that Sanchez runs, AND, Tebow will also have a second role, which is to run Wildcat.[/QUOTE]

Maybe YOU missed the articles that they are putting in the base offense NOW, but the Tebow circus is not far behind.

So I'll explain it for YOU.

They can give Tebow the Sanchez playbook and have him practice the Sanchez offense, but there is no way IMHO that he can run it effectively--can't pass well enough to do the things Mark is going to be asked to do in the passing game--can't make the throws and can't make the reads. If you think Sanchez can't read defenses, wait till they have to dumb it down for Tebow to about a dozen routes.

They are two different players with two different skills sets. Tebow can't do what Sanchez can, and Sanchez can't do what Tebow can.

I get you hate Sanchez and you love Tebow, but they will not be running the same offenses when the season starts.

Just my opinion, but continue to stalk me if you like.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4469930]While I'm 100% with Sanchez that depends on the QB.. For a example Steve Young ran a different offense then Montana because of his running ability.. Michael Vick and Newton can do things their backups can't..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Young and Vick and Newton could/can all throw in addition to run.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't read the article in question. Anyone that declares that the Jets have mishandled Sanchez as far as development goes has rocks in their head, pure and simple.

- Bring rookie QB onto a team that has a lot of pieces in place.
    - First two years the team has a top 5 in the league o-line, defense and running game.
    - Team scales their offense to try and help the rookie as they hit bumps in the road.
    - Team goes out and gets a couple of established play making WR's via trade.
    - Team avoids having any semblance of a real back up Qb so as to pose no threat to the young guy and pretty well tell him. "You are our guy."
    - Young QB is heaped with praise and supported by the organization for leading them to two AFC champ games.
    - Team sees a perceived red zone weakness and goes out of their way to bring in a red zone WR.
    - Team also brings in a highly respected O coach in Tom Moore to help with red zone efficiency with Tom Moore.
    - Team backs sanchez at every turn even when he played like sheer garbage.

The title of the article should be "Jets show exactly the right way to bring in a young QB into the league."

90% of other young QB's get their asses kicked from day one on awful teams. Pittsburgh with Roeths and the Jets with Sanchez have been the exceptions to the rule, teams that correctly build aspects of the team like the oline, Running game and defense 1st and then add the QB. Most QB's are no where near as fortunate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4469930]While I'm 100% with Sanchez that depends on the QB.. For a example Steve Young ran a different offense then Montana because of his running ability.. Michael Vick and Newton can do things their backups can't..[/QUOTE]

I actually think this is wrong. I dont think Walsh changed his west coast style for Young when he took over. If I remember (it was a while ago) I believe the biggest adjustment for the WRs was that Rice felt just as he was about to break open, Young would start to run, which fustrated him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4469963][B]I didn't read the article in question. [/B].[/QUOTE]

So your commenting on something you haven't read is intelligent football talk:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4469963]I didn't read the article in question. Anyone that declares that the Jets have mishandled Sanchez as far as development goes has rocks in their head, pure and simple.

- Bring rookie QB onto a team that has a lot of pieces in place.
    - First two years the team has a top 5 in the league o-line, defense and running game.
    - Team scales their offense to try and help the rookie as they hit bumps in the road.
    - Team goes out and gets a couple of established play making WR's via trade.
    - Team avoids having any semblance of a real back up Qb so as to pose no threat to the young guy and pretty well tell him. "You are our guy."
    - Young QB is heaped with praise and supported by the organization for leading them to two AFC champ games.
    - Team sees a perceived red zone weakness and goes out of their way to bring in a red zone WR.
    - Team also brings in a highly respected O coach in Tom Moore to help with red zone efficiency with Tom Moore.
    - Team backs sanchez at every turn even when he played like sheer garbage.

The title of the article should be "Jets show exactly the right way to bring in a young QB into the league."

90% of other young QB's get their asses kicked from day one on awful teams. Pittsburgh with Roeths and the Jets with Sanchez have been the exceptions to the rule, teams that correctly build aspects of the team like the oline, Running game and defense 1st and then add the QB. Most QB's are no where near as fortunate.[/QUOTE]

Beer....I completely agree about the WR argument, because while it has changed, the organization did bring in more talent at the position. I dont think the organization felt that Braylon and Tone could co-exist well as they wouldnt be paid the same amount. Not sure why we went with Mason over Cotch?

But aside from that, where did we scale back the offense? By all accounts, the entire offense said that Schottys offense was too complicated, especially with pre-snap reads.

Most importantly though, how do you justify the straight drop-back nature of the offense, when our QB was not a straight, drop-back passer? Where were the rollouts to maxmize his athleticism and in 2011, minimize the holes in the line?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469936]Maybe YOU missed the articles that they are putting in the base offense NOW, but the Tebow circus is not far behind.

So I'll explain it for YOU.

They can give Tebow the Sanchez playbook and have him practice the Sanchez offense, but there is no way IMHO that he can run it effectively--can't pass well enough to do the things Mark is going to be asked to do in the passing game--can't make the throws and can't make the reads. If you think Sanchez can't read defenses, wait till they have to dumb it down for Tebow to about a dozen routes.

They are two different players with two different skills sets. Tebow can't do what Sanchez can, and Sanchez can't do what Tebow can.

I get you hate Sanchez and you love Tebow, but they will not be running the same offenses when the season starts.

Just my opinion, but continue to stalk me if you like.

_[/QUOTE]

First of all sunshine, you don't know how well Tebow can throw. I mean, have you been there at the practices watching him ?? Or are you just basing your "expert" opinion off of what you saw last year ??

Even if they have to dumb things down a bit for Tebow, that will STILL BE the SAME OFFENSE, just slightly limited. Wow, freaking newsflash, that's what happens when MOST backups come in. The team runs a more simplified version of their normal offense.

So again, contrary to YOUR claim, Tebow is learning the base offense and IF Sanchez goes down, that is what he will be running most the time.

Now, taking issue with your last two lines. Of course Tebow and Sanchez won't be running the "same" offense at the beginning of the year as Tebow would be running WC if/when he gets put in for a couple of plays or a series.

But, that's his second role. If Sanchez goes down, that's a different story. I don't know why you have such a difficult time wrapping your little head around that concept.

Hell, Mark freaking Sanchez even talked about it when he said that as a backup, you PREPARE for the game as if you are going to play, but then you usually don't get a chance. That lucky for Tebow, he has OTHER SKILLS and ATTRIBUTES which will get him onto the field anyways.