Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help... TV broke, want to kill son.

Help... TV broke, want to kill son.

Really, really pissed.

Getting ready for work this morning, my 2 sons (ages 7 and 3) are downstairs watching tv.

I hear some banging, and was just about to yell at my 7 year old from upstairs like I usually do, When I remember my wife saying that we shouldn’t be yelling at them in the morning as it sets them off/makes them have bad days.
    She’s a teacher and went to some seminar that told her about this.

About 5 minutes later, my 7 year old runs up to the bathroom and says a toy (tinker toy) accidently banged into the tv, the tv turned off and won’t go back on.

I went downstairs, and tried to turn the tv on and it wouldn’t turn on… then I noticed a crack in the tv about 2-3 inches in 4 different directions…
    From what I gather, this tv is totaled.

My son was so upset, and I was so mad that I barely could yell at him… we’ll have a talk later tonight…

It’s a 54” Panasonic Plasma, which I liked and is now discontinued. I think I paid $1100 2 years ago, the new equivalent model is now $1500+… Even a refurbished model of the same tv are in the $900 range… thought tv’s were coming down????

Bad timing right now with money… From what I gather Home Insurance won’t cover an accident like this and Panasonic Customer Service also won’t do anything to help from what I’ve read.

If anyone has a brilliant idea/solution please do let me know?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... trade your son to a chinese for their daughter :cool: ...

l_j_r

All League
    Buy a screen protector?

:dunno:

BTW,do you think a tinker toy has enough mass and velocity from a 7 yr old to do that kind of damage?

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://caption-this.com/wp-content/thumbnails/1240.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Monsterxman;4469742]Really, really pissed.

Getting ready for work this morning, my 2 sons (ages 7 and 3) are downstairs watching tv.

I hear some banging, and was just about to yell at my 7 year old from upstairs like I usually do, When I remember my wife saying that we shouldn’t be yelling at them in the morning as it sets them off/makes them have bad days.

About 5 minutes later, my 7 year old runs up to the bathroom and says a toy (tinker toy) accidently banged into the tv, the tv turned off and won’t go back on.

I went downstairs, and tried to turn the tv on and it wouldn’t turn on… then I noticed a crack in the tv about 2-3 inches in 4 different directions…

My son was so upset, and I was so mad that I barely could yell at him… we’ll have a talk later tonight…

It’s a 54” Panasonic Plasma, which I liked and is now discontinued. I think I paid $1100 2 years ago, the new equivalent model is now $1500+… Even a refurbished model of the same tv are in the $900 range… thought tv’s were coming down????

Bad timing right now with money… From what I gather Home Insurance won’t cover an accident like this and Panasonic Customer Service also won’t do anything to help from what I’ve read.

[B]If anyone has a brilliant idea/solution please do let me know?[/B][/QUOTE]

You've come to the right place. GMC will be along with advice momentarily....

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4469775]You've come to the right place. GMC will be along with advice momentarily....[/QUOTE]

He's trying to be better. Best not to antagonize.

All League
    Snow tires.

All League
    So sorry for your loss, get a LCD.

[QUOTE=Big L;4469753]Buy a screen protector?

:dunno:

BTW,do you think a tinker toy has enough mass and velocity from a 7 yr old to do that kind of damage?[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it possible either, which is why when I initially went downstairs, I thought for sure that he was mistaken.

I've found that if there's a way to break something, my son has the ability.

He is a brutally honest kid and never lies and the tinker toys were all on the
    floor.

I didn't see the crack at first either.

He said he'd help pay for a new one with his money.
    He was feeling bad enough that I didn't tell him that his $9 in his piggy bank wasn't going to help.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4469796]So sorry for your loss, get a LCD.[/QUOTE]
    What's better, plasma or LCD? :dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    How far were your sons from the TV when they threw the tinker toy at the TV?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4469804]How far were your sons from the TV when they threw the tinker toy at the TV?

_[/QUOTE]
    LOL

The tv is junk and you're gonna need to take it to an electronics recycling facility. Time to start caging those kids when you leave them unattended. Tinker toys............really.

Ironically my friends son did a very similiar thing with an x-box controller to a plasma tv. He raised his hands in victory the wire snapped and plug end hit the screen and cracked it.

As punishment he taped the kids picture to the front of the screen with a heading Thanks (kids name) for everyone to see and grounded the kid for 30 days no tv or video games.

Laugh it off, buy another tv and remember someday they will choose you're nursing home
    Last edited by GMCJETS; 05-16-2012 at 11:45 AM.

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4469742]Really, really pissed.

If anyone has a brilliant idea/solution please do let me know?[/QUOTE]

What is the cost to repair? That has to be significantly cheaper than an equivalent replacement.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4469809]The tv is junk and you're gonna need to take it to an electronics recycling facility. Time to start caging those kids when you leave them unattended. Tinker toys............really.

Ironically my friends son did a very similiar thing with an x-box controller to a plasma tv. He raised his hands in victory the wire snapped and plug end hit the screen and cracked it.

[B]As punishment he taped the kids picture to the front of the screen with a heading Thanks (kids name) for everyone to see[/B] and grounded the kid for 30 days no tv or video games.[/QUOTE]

Your friend is an ass-hole.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4469804]How far were your sons from the TV when they threw the tinker toy at the TV?

_[/QUOTE]

Well here's the thing - He was probably only like 5 feet away,
    but the TV is above my fireplace which is about 4-6 feet above the ground...
    How a toy got thrown into essentially a wall is beyond me.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4469815]Your friend is an ass-hole.

_[/QUOTE]

An ass-hole without a big screen tv.

Hes a helluva shrimp cooker though.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Monsterxman;4469816]Well here's the thing - He was probably only like 5 feet away,
    but the TV is above my fireplace which is about 4-6 feet above the ground...
    How a toy got thrown into essentially a wall is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Little League might be in his future.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4469820]An ******* without a big screen tv.[/QUOTE]

I get the not having a big screen TV, but publically embarrassing and ridiculing your kid for what amounts to an accident--a very expensive and inconvenient one at that--is simply really bad parenting.

Ground, punish, take away priveleges, assign chores.

Ridicule and embarrassment for all family and friends to see?

That kid is going to turn into Eric.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4469822]I get the not having a big screen TV, but publically embarrassing and ridiculing your kid for what amounts to an accident--a very expensive and inconvenient one at that--is simply really bad parenting.

Ground, punish, take away priveleges, assign chores.

Ridicule and embarrassment for all family and friends to see?

That kid is going to turn into Eric.

_[/QUOTE]

This is in the privacy of his own home.

Where did publically happen.

I actually laughed my ass off when I saw the picture and talked to the kid when he explained how it happened. Whats done is done. Move on buy another tv.