Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WR dept. : we're 3rd in the afc east ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

WR dept. : we're 3rd in the afc east ~ ~ ~

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42318/rankings-the-afc-east-wr-corps[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4470280]> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42318/rankings-the-afc-east-wr-corps[/url][/QUOTE]

The Jets might not be third in the Big East at WR.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This all remains to be seen.I believe our receivers are much better than they are being given credit for in this article.We will run a lot but we will also use play action to loosen the defense and Sanchez is exceptional with play action passes and fakes.I believe that both Hill and Jordan White are going to make contributions this season.White is a large target also at 6'4".

We can throw 4 receivers on the field that are 6'4" or better at the same time if we wanted to.....that would be hard to match up with in the redzone and short yardage if we run or throw....big blockers....:)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You would think they might let the young guys hit the field before writing crap like this.

But its what ESPN does.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsman1;4470671]This all remains to be seen.I believe our receivers are much better than they are being given credit for in this article.We will run a lot but we will also use play action to loosen the defense and Sanchez is exceptional with play action passes and fakes.I believe that both Hill and Jordan White are going to make contributions this season.White is a large target also at 6'4".

We can throw 4 receivers on the field that are 6'4" or better at the same time if we wanted to.....that would be hard to match up with in the redzone and short yardage if we run or throw....big blockers....:)[/QUOTE]

This article was spot on. No way in hell are our receivers better than the Pats or Bills. The Pats could lose Welker and Branch and still easily have better WR's than us. All we really have is Holmes who will stop running good routes by week 3 when he realizes that we're gonna run the ball 80% of the time. Kerley is an OK slot receiver, but def not great and there's no way in hell we can count on Hill for production this season... We'd be lucky if he puts up 500 yds in this offense. I might even go as far as calling our WR corps one of the weakest in the NFL until proven otherwise.

On a side note, the Jets really sucked in FA this season no matter how much homers want to spin it. Someone tell me how we upgraded our team other than possibly through the draft in which we'll see results in a few years? We knew we needed a RT and we never got one. We knew we needed another proven pass catching RB to fit the new system and we still didn't get one. We knew we needed another veteran WR and sure enough we didn't get one. We knew we needed some help at DE and LB and no signings. Our roster has more holes than swiss cheese.

Since when does a team that's looking to win now ONLY upgrade their team through the draft and let FA go to the wayside? I guess it doesn't matter because Woody got Tebow and more media than he can shake a stick at. That's all he cares about... $$$ Get ready for a season of suck. It's coming and our sad WR corps will show you why ESPN ranked them 3rd not far ahead of Miami.
    Last edited by KingofNY; 05-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsman1;4470671]This all remains to be seen.I believe our receivers are much better than they are being given credit for in this article.We will run a lot but we will also use play action to loosen the defense and Sanchez is exceptional with play action passes and fakes.I believe that both Hill and Jordan White are going to make contributions this season.[B]White is a large target also at 6'4".[/B]

We can throw 4 receivers on the field that are 6'4" or better at the same time if we wanted to.....that would be hard to match up with in the redzone and short yardage if we run or throw....big blockers....:)[/QUOTE]

I think Jordan White could turn out to be a real good receiver. He is not 6'4" though. 6'0"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;4470764]I think Jordan White could turn out to be a real good receiver. He is not 6'4" though. 6'0"[/QUOTE]he'll probably make the ps :dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    2011 Receptions Per Drop (100+ Targets)

Rank Player Rec./Drop

1 Larry Fitzgerald 80.0
    2 Tony Gonzalez 40.0
    2 Marques Colston 40.0
    4 Jabar Gaffney 34.0
    5 Dez Bryant 31.5
    6 Wes Welker 30.5
    7 Percy Harvin 29.0
    8 Ray Rice 25.3
    8 Steve Johnson 25.3
    10 Reggie Wayne 25.0
    11 Nate Washington 24.7
    12 Calvin Johnson 24.0
    12 Mike Wallace 24.0
    14 Antonio Brown 23.0
    15 Rob Gronkowski 22.5
    :rolleyes: 16 A.J. Green 21.7
    16 Dustin Keller 21.7
    18 Darren Sproles 21.5
    19 Jason Witten 19.8
    19 Aaron Hernandez 19.8
    19 Steve Smith (CAR) 19.8
    22 Pierre Garcon 17.5
    22 Brandon Lloyd 17.5
    24 Jimmy Graham 16.5
    25 Kellen Winslow 15.0
    26 Anquan Boldin 14.3
    27 Brandon Marshall 13.5
    28 Michael Crabtree 12.2
    29 Vincent Jackson 12.0
    30 Brandon Pettigrew 11.9
    31 DeSean Jackson 11.6
    32 Dwayne Bowe 11.6
    33 Hakeem Nicks 10.9
    34 Nate Burleson 10.4
    35 Victor Cruz 10.3
    36 D. Heyward-Bey 9.1
    37 Mike Williams (TB) 8.1
    38 Roddy White 7.1
    39 Greg Little 5.5

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/58771/best-hands-ive-ever-seen-on-a-receiver[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our WR's are better than the Bills WR's (thats not saying much tho). Tone is > then Johnson and Hill as a rookie is better then the rest of their scrubs. Miami is a disaster. The Bills RB's are much better then ours and the book is out on the QB's. Luckily our D is the best in the division so it somewhat evens out. Still NE's division to lose.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4472757]Our WR's are better than the Bills WR's (thats not saying much tho). Tone is > then Johnson and Hill as a rookie is better then the rest of their scrubs. Miami is a disaster. The Bills RB's are much better then ours and the book is out on the QB's. Luckily our D is the best in the division so it somewhat evens out. Still NE's division to lose.[/QUOTE]
    agreed.... as long as brady stays healthy :(

cheers ~ ~
    :beers:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > [url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/5/19/3030504/sb-nation-interview-with-stephen-hill[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    saw this :

~ ~ Santonio Holmes has already gotten a head start on rebuilding his chemistry with quarterback Mark Sanchez and has managed to make amends with some players involved in the final-game blowup that led to his benching.
    Some who know him well, like the man who drafted him, Bill Cowher, don't think this is smoke and mirrors, either. Although 2011 ended in disastrous fashion, Cowher thinks the wideout can rebuild is reputation this season.
    "I think emotions run high, you get to the sideline and people do things that, in hindsight, they wish they hadn't done," the former Steelers coach said in support of "Melanoma Exposed," a partnership designed to create awareness and promote prevention surrounding the disease. "It's a very emotional game and at times it lends yourself to doing things that, you know, that may not be the appropriate thing to do at those times.
    "Santonio, he'd be the first one to tell you that he'd have liked to handle that a little differently, but he's a guy that's going to but it beside him, he's a very good football player, I think he's very committed. He likes to work at it and he's ready to move on to this year."
    Cowher, who lost his wife Kaye to melanoma in 2010, spoke while working to get people tested and understand risk factors related to skin cancer. The organization will be hosting free screening events at MetLife Stadium on June 24 and Sun Life Stadium on June 16.
    "I became much more understanding about it and educated about it and what melanoma is. The biggest thing right now is getting people to get screened," he said. "Screening is the most important thing to do in terms of doing it on a regular basis and also understanding your body to be able to look for certain things on your body."
    Some other quick hits from Cowher...
    + Although he didn't discuss a coaching future in the NFL, Cowher did talk about an upcoming role as a football coach in the newest Batman movie, due out this July.
    "I'll tell you, if you blink too long you'll miss me," he said, laughing. "I mean it was fun to do, there are a number of Pittsburgh Steelers fans in there, Hines Ward and some other guys, so it was fun to do."
    + On Tim Tebow coming to the Jets: "He will give us a lot to talk about this season."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is our best cast sense Moss left IMO. I think Hill could be better then Moss was. People may not like Holmes but he is a viable starter. Miami has nothing. I'd be so bold as to say Chaz would be their #1. Buffs core is not better then ours. Stevie may be better then Holmes but Hill, Kerley, and Chaz are all better then their #2. I just don't buy Donald Jones, Smith, or David Nelson as much better then Chaz in any. I'd seriously take our WR over anyone else's in the East right now. Out side of a 30 Wes NE has nothing. Brandon Lloyd is a dim one trick pony and Gonzo hasn't proven a thing. I wouldn't take any of them for league min. Heck I'd take Miami's #3 over any of those guys. If not for their TEs Brady wouldn't have a whole lot to work with. I don't think this team has anything to complain about WR wise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4474868]This is our best cast sense Moss left IMO. I think Hill could be better then Moss was. People may not like Holmes but he is a viable starter. Miami has nothing. I'd be so bold as to say Chaz would be their #1. Buffs core is not better then ours. Stevie may be better then Holmes but Hill, Kerley, and Chaz are all better then their #2. I just don't buy Donald Jones, Smith, or David Nelson as much better then Chaz in any. I'd seriously take our WR over anyone else's in the East right now. Out side of a 30 Wes NE has nothing. Brandon Lloyd is a dim one trick pony and Gonzo hasn't proven a thing. I wouldn't take any of them for league min. Heck I'd take Miami's #3 over any of those guys. If not for their TEs Brady wouldn't have a whole lot to work with. I don't think this team has anything to complain about WR wise.[/QUOTE]

moss is a once in a life time player....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;4470749]This article was spot on. No way in hell are our receivers better than the Pats or Bills. The Pats could lose Welker and Branch and still easily have better WR's than us. All we really have is Holmes who will stop running good routes by week 3 when he realizes that we're gonna run the ball 80% of the time. Kerley is an OK slot receiver, but def not great and there's no way in hell we can count on Hill for production this season... We'd be lucky if he puts up 500 yds in this offense. I might even go as far as calling our WR corps one of the weakest in the NFL until proven otherwise.

[B]On a side note, the Jets really sucked in FA this season no matter how much homers want to spin it. Someone tell me how we upgraded our team other than possibly through the draft in which we'll see results in a few years? We knew we needed a RT and we never got one. We knew we needed another proven pass catching RB to fit the new system and we still didn't get one. We knew we needed another veteran WR and sure enough we didn't get one. We knew we needed some help at DE and LB and no signings. Our roster has more holes than swiss cheese.[/B]

Since when does a team that's looking to win now ONLY upgrade their team through the draft and let FA go to the wayside? I guess it doesn't matter because Woody got Tebow and more media than he can shake a stick at. That's all he cares about... $$$ Get ready for a season of suck. It's coming and our sad WR corps will show you why ESPN ranked them 3rd not far ahead of Miami.[/QUOTE]

Homer or not, this is also just a bunch of spin, whether YOU like it or not.

What did you expect the Jets to do in FA? The Jets have a significant portion of their roster, the core of their roster locked up, they weren't big players in FA because they didn't need to be, they needed to tweak their roster, add talent strategically, preserve their cap structure because they have talent across the roster locked into contracts.

They upgraded WR and S through FA in Schilens and Landry, you may not like it, but both additions are upgrades from what the team had last year. They signed a player in Hayden Smith at TE, an unconventional signing but a move they obviously did a lot of homework on, because they were competing for that signing with several other teams, all of which did similar research on the talent and upside of the player, TE was another position that needed upgrading and depth, and they did it again with the mindset to reap the upside benefits at a reduced cost in accordance with their plan. The emphasis on their plan was to retool in FA, preserve cap structure, and add talent through the draft, and the Jets did this in a major way. Just because they weren't big spenders doesn't mean they ****ed up, the teams that were big players had major holes to fill, the Jets didn't have those same size holes, whether the homers or non-homers spin this otherwise.

RT was never going to be a major move by the team, this has been discussed ad nauseum, throughout the RT thread. The team has players they signed in FA they still believe in at the position, and they are still high on players they drafted in the 2nd round just 2 years ago competing for that same position, what was the FA talent out there and available that warranted a change in their strategy and would have allowed them to stick with their plan to preserve their cap structure?

It's your OPINION they ****ed up, not fact, whether you continue to throw around the homer tag with anybody who disagrees with you or not. :cool:
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-23-2012 at 12:10 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4474868]This is our best cast sense Moss left IMO. I think Hill could be better then Moss was. People may not like Holmes but he is a viable starter. Miami has nothing. I'd be so bold as to say Chaz would be their #1. Buffs core is not better then ours. Stevie may be better then Holmes but Hill, Kerley, and Chaz are all better then their #2. I just don't buy Donald Jones, Smith, or David Nelson as much better then Chaz in any. [B]I'd seriously take our WR over anyone else's in the East right now. [/B] Out side of a 30 Wes NE has nothing. Brandon Lloyd is a dim one trick pony and Gonzo hasn't proven a thing. I wouldn't take any of them for league min. Heck I'd take Miami's #3 over any of those guys. If not for their TEs Brady wouldn't have a whole lot to work with. I don't think this team has anything to complain about WR wise.[/QUOTE]

2011 production -

Holmes: 51 rec, 654 yds, 8 TDs
    Schilens: 23 rec, 271 yds, 2 TDs (BEAST!)
    Kerley: 29 rec, 317 yds, 0 TDs
    Turner: 8 rec, 96 yds, 1 TD

Total: 111 rec, 1338 yds, 11 TDs

C'mon, man. :rolleyes: This is a [B][I]very[/I][/B] unproven receiving corps.

Hill will be solid, but he's not likely to light the world on fire in his rookie year.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-23-2012 at 12:51 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4475112]2011 production -

Holmes: 51 rec, 654 yds, 8 TDs
    Schilens: 23 rec, 271 yds, 2 TDs (BEAST!)
    Kerley: 29 rec, 317 yds, 0 TDs
    Turner: 8 rec, 96 yds, 1 TD

Total: 111 rec, 1338 yds, 11 TDs

C'mon, man. :rolleyes: This is a [B][I]very[/I][/B] unproven receiving corps.

Hill will be solid, but he's not likely to light the world on fire in his rookie year.[/QUOTE]

Unproven and untalented are to different things. Cinci had an unproven WR core last year and look at the production they had. If we get that we ARE better then any of the other east teams. Holmes may not have lit up the board but I still think he can be a 1k yard WR and even in a bad year just put up 8 TDs. So saying he can't do what AJ did his rookie year I'd call down playing him. Why can't Hill light it up his 1st year? Rook WRs do it all the time. WR is an easy position to transition. If he starts all year I'll say 800 yards and 5 TD min. He has big play ability written all over him and our new OC will be calling those plays. Kerley I loved last year and lets not forget he started the year in the 4 spot and was meant to be the put returner not the starter. If he plays the spot all year he will be deadly on 4th downs. Now that we have Hill to stretch the field we can use Kerley more effectively inside with Keller. He may not put up monster #s this year but he will play an important role. Chaz as a #4 you really can't complain. I don't think we will be asking a lot of him but he is a good hands guy that has speed. If he can stay healthy I love him for depth.

I honestly love the mix we have at WR. Who's washed up or just crap WR would you take over this group in the East? I just don't think a whole lot of the rest of the East WRs. Lloyd, Ocho, Branch, Neson, Jones, Clyde Gates, Legedu Naanee... These are guys that shouldn't be making teams IMO. Quite honestly none of the east teams have real knock em dead WRs so I'd rather have the younger cast. At least we have hope they will produce and turn into long term studs. Not just a flashy one year patchs like Branch was in NE last year. I just don't buy an aged bust WR like Lloyd or an UDFA that had under 300 yards last year is a better option then Hill or Kerley for that matter. We have some good depth NFL proven or not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4475120]Unproven and untalented are to different things. Cinci had an unproven WR core last year and look at the production they had. If we get that we ARE better then any of the other east teams. Holmes may not have lit up the board but I still think he can be a 1k yard WR and even in a bad year just put up 8 TDs. So saying he can't do what AJ did his rookie year I'd call down playing him. Why can't Hill light it up his 1st year? Rook WRs do it all the time. WR is an easy position to transition. If he starts all year I'll say 800 yards and 5 TD min. He has big play ability written all over him and our new OC will be calling those plays. Kerley I loved last year and lets not forget he started the year in the 4 spot and was meant to be the put returner not the starter. If he plays the spot all year he will be deadly on 4th downs. Now that we have Hill to stretch the field we can use Kerley more effectively inside with Keller. He may not put up monster #s this year but he will play an important role. Chaz as a #4 you really can't complain. I don't think we will be asking a lot of him but he is a good hands guy that has speed. If he can stay healthy I love him for depth.

I honestly love the mix we have at WR. Who's washed up or just crap WR would you take over this group in the East? I just don't think a whole lot of the rest of the East WRs. Lloyd, Ocho, Branch, Neson, Jones, Clyde Gates, Legedu Naanee... These are guys that shouldn't be making teams IMO. Quite honestly none of the east teams have real knock em dead WRs so I'd rather have the younger cast. At least we have hope they will produce and turn into long term studs. Not just a flashy one year patchs like Branch was in NE last year. I just don't buy an aged bust WR like Lloyd or an UDFA that had under 300 yards last year is a better option then Hill or Kerley for that matter. We have some good depth NFL proven or not.[/QUOTE]

I would chill out a bit calling Brandon Lloyd an "aged bust" while calling Chaz "who?" Schilens a would-be #1 WR in Miami. Some of those guys listed shouldn't be making teams? GTFO. Turner and Kerley have done absolutely nothing in the NFL. There's a ton of potential among the Jets WRs, but that's all it is so far... potential.

Temper your expectations a bit, crank the homer meter down, and your opinions might be taken more seriously. You really are a "dreamer."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well with all the BS from last season, how can our receivers be ranked any better.
    O-line was getting sanchez killed. Don't only blame Hunter, D'Brick didn't play any better.
    We had Sh!tty last season.
    Keller was a no show after game 4.
    Zero deep game.
    Too many to list.
    We have one proven receiver in Holmes and he's going to be a handfull. Doesn't matter what we added so far, until they can get open and make plays, the Jets passing game only strikes fear with the fans. Every time Sanchez dropped back for a pass last season there was no confidence that the outcome would be a good one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;4475100]moss is a once in a life time player....[/QUOTE]agreed.
    - we should clone him ;)