Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WR dept. : we're 3rd in the afc east ~ ~ ~

Banned
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4474868]

I think Hill could be better then Moss was.

[/QUOTE]

And you base this on what?

Hill's outstanding college production as a WR?

Rookie
    Don't confuse him with facts Tex

Braylon will still probably be back.

Holmes, Braylon, Hill, Kerley, and Keller looks real strong.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4475103]Homer or not, this is also just a bunch of spin, whether YOU like it or not.

What did you expect the Jets to do in FA? The Jets have a significant portion of their roster, the core of their roster locked up, they weren't big players in FA because they didn't need to be, they needed to tweak their roster, add talent strategically, preserve their cap structure because they have talent across the roster locked into contracts.

They upgraded WR and S through FA in Schilens and Landry, you may not like it, but both additions are upgrades from what the team had last year. They signed a player in Hayden Smith at TE, an unconventional signing but a move they obviously did a lot of homework on, because they were competing for that signing with several other teams, all of which did similar research on the talent and upside of the player, TE was another position that needed upgrading and depth, and they did it again with the mindset to reap the upside benefits at a reduced cost in accordance with their plan. The emphasis on their plan was to retool in FA, preserve cap structure, and add talent through the draft, and the Jets did this in a major way. Just because they weren't big spenders doesn't mean they ****ed up, the teams that were big players had major holes to fill, the Jets didn't have those same size holes, whether the homers or non-homers spin this otherwise.

RT was never going to be a major move by the team, this has been discussed ad nauseum, throughout the RT thread. The team has players they signed in FA they still believe in at the position, and they are still high on players they drafted in the 2nd round just 2 years ago competing for that same position, what was the FA talent out there and available that warranted a change in their strategy and would have allowed them to stick with their plan to preserve their cap structure?

It's your OPINION they ****ed up, not fact, whether you continue to throw around the homer tag with anybody who disagrees with you or not. :cool:[/QUOTE]

An 8-8 record would suggest there were a few holes to fill. How well they were filled will be determined by January (for every team).

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475352]And you base this on what?

Hill's outstanding college production as a WR?[/QUOTE]

He is taller, stronger, and runs better routes then Moss did when he 1st started for the JETS. I loved Moss but for years the coaches downplayed his ability. Moss was more explosive off the line and had better hands but both are guys I really liked coming out of the draft. Moss went to Washington and had one solid year after anther with no real QB. I like Jason Campbell but he never really came on in Washington. I think Hill will have a long career here putting up good #s every year.

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4475121]I would chill out a bit calling Brandon Lloyd an "aged bust" while calling Chaz "who?" Schilens a would-be #1 WR in Miami. Some of those guys listed shouldn't be making teams? GTFO. Turner and Kerley have done absolutely nothing in the NFL. There's a ton of potential among the Jets WRs, but that's all it is so far... potential.

Temper your expectations a bit, crank the homer meter down, and your opinions might be taken more seriously. You really are a "dreamer."[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I like potential over proven below average WRs. If you really expect 30-35 year old WRs to produce in this league your HOPING more then we are. History shows WR is a young mans game. Lloyd is a bust and is old. It is a pretty accurate description. If he wins that #2 spot in NE they are just is sad shape IMO. Chaz is also what 25-26 and and has shown some good ability when healthy and playing. Miami's 1 is Bess a guy that started all last year and ranked up a whopping 537 yards and averages just over 10 yards per catch for his career with what 11 TDs. Chaz has 7TDs in one less year and averages 12.5 for his career. It is not like him being better then Bess is a stretch. As for as their #2 Naanee has been in the league for 5 years and only has 4 TDs and played in a much more potent O then Chaz. So yeah I'd say Chaz would be in the running to start on that team. Naanee was a huge disappointment in SD and that is fact. Miami best shot at a good WR may be B.J. Cunningham who was a 6th rounder with some good ability. That is still 6th round talent your talking which is sad for a team that had an obvious need. Also yeah some of them shouldn't be making teams. How many 33+ WRs do you see in the NFL much less ones that that have obviously lost their games or is some cases have just not performed. Don't tell me a guy that already looks unimpressive last year is better then any rook much less 1st round talent. Potential or not your still talking he can do better. I'd rather have the player with a higher up side given that reasoning. I'm not being homer at all on this. Realistically Miami, NE, and Buff are just in bad shape at WR and their future out look isn't better then ours right now. That is truth.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4475721] I'm not being homer at all on this. Realistically Miami, NE, and Buff are just in bad shape at WR and their future out look isn't better then ours right now. That is truth.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Dreamers;4475721]Sorry if I like potential over proven below average WRs. If you really expect 30-35 year old WRs to produce in this league your HOPING more then we are. [B]History shows WR is a young mans game. [/B] Lloyd is a bust and is old. It is a pretty accurate description. If he wins that #2 spot in NE they are just is sad shape IMO. Chaz is also what 25-26 and and has shown some good ability when healthy and playing. Miami's 1 is Bess a guy that started all last year and ranked up a whopping 537 yards and averages just over 10 yards per catch for his career with what 11 TDs. Chaz has 7TDs in one less year and averages 12.5 for his career. It is not like him being better then Bess is a stretch. As for as their #2 Naanee has been in the league for 5 years and only has 4 TDs and played in a much more potent O then Chaz. So yeah I'd say Chaz would be in the running to start on that team. Naanee was a huge disappointment in SD and that is fact. Miami best shot at a good WR may be B.J. Cunningham who was a 6th rounder with some good ability. That is still 6th round talent your talking which is sad for a team that had an obvious need. Also yeah some of them shouldn't be making teams. How many 33+ WRs do you see in the NFL much less ones that that have obviously lost their games or is some cases have just not performed. Don't tell me a guy that already looks unimpressive last year is better then any rook much less 1st round talent. Potential or not your still talking he can do better. I'd rather have the player with a higher up side given that reasoning. I'm not being homer at all on this. Realistically Miami, NE, and Buff are just in bad shape at WR and their future out look isn't better then ours right now. That is truth.[/QUOTE]

What a useless cliche. So basically your entire premise is that younger wide receivers who have yet to produce any solid numbers whatsoever in the league are a better option than established receivers who are older but put up 900+ yards just one year ago? Got it. Just go ahead and completely ignore the value of league experience, system experience, etc.

We're not talking about long-term potential, we're talking about 2012. And in 2012, the wide receiving corps are Pats >>>>> Bills ~ Jets >>> Dolphins. Obviously the Jets could end up with a group of studs if Hill and the rest develop, but they are certainly not the best in the division next year, not even close. The ages of these WRs is completely irrelevant for the purpose of evaluating the strength of the units going into next season.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-23-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4475724]Wow. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Wow : 49,000+ posts on a jets fan site by a pats fan ;)

Hall Of Fame
    AFC East players in the crosshairs

As training camp approaches, we take a look at the players on each team who will be most heavily scrutinized. The list contains a fair amount of quarterbacks — no stunner there — but we tried to highlight as many non-QBs as we could. The players highlighted range from rookies to veterans with 10 or more years of experience.

In the first of an eight-part series, we look at the AFC East from the 2011 order of finish :

~ ~ Jets WR Santonio Holmes

Holmes has become the target for Jets fans that are angry about the team’s fall from contention last season, and his relationship — on and off the field — with QB Mark Sanchez will be one (of many) story lines to follow closely at Florham Park. Despite Holmes and Sanchez being booed at a Knicks game in late April, the two players are said to have made up and are determined to solve their problems in order to become a more effective passing duo. The jury remains out until further notice. So far, you’d have to say the Steelers fleeced the Jets when you consider Pittsburgh turned the fifth-round pick they got for the former Super Bowl MVP into the sixth-rounder that became Antonio Brown.

Other Jets worth mentioning: Sanchez, LB Bart Scott.

> [url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/05/21/afc-east-players-in-the-crosshairs[/url]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;4470749]This article was spot on. No way in hell are our receivers better than the Pats or Bills. The Pats could lose Welker and Branch and still easily have better WR's than us. All we really have is Holmes who will stop running good routes by week 3 when he realizes that we're gonna run the ball 80% of the time. Kerley is an OK slot receiver, but def not great and there's no way in hell we can count on Hill for production this season... We'd be lucky if he puts up 500 yds in this offense. I might even go as far as calling our WR corps one of the weakest in the NFL until proven otherwise.

On a side note, the Jets really sucked in FA this season no matter how much homers want to spin it. Someone tell me how we upgraded our team other than possibly through the draft in which we'll see results in a few years? We knew we needed a RT and we never got one. We knew we needed another proven pass catching RB to fit the new system and we still didn't get one. We knew we needed another veteran WR and sure enough we didn't get one. We knew we needed some help at DE and LB and no signings. Our roster has more holes than swiss cheese.

[B]Since when does a team that's looking to win now ONLY upgrade their team through the draft and let FA go to the wayside? [/B] I guess it doesn't matter because Woody got Tebow and more media than he can shake a stick at. That's all he cares about... $$$ Get ready for a season of suck. It's coming and our sad WR corps will show you why ESPN ranked them 3rd not far ahead of Miami.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we are not looking to only win now.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetinHuntersville;4476436]Maybe we are not looking to only win now.[/QUOTE]now &
    beyond ;)

Hall Of Fame
    > [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12620/quick-take-on-qbs-hills-vertical-speed-etc[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Ranking AFC East wide receivers

While I was on vacation last week, Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. ranked receiver groups in the division.Now, the AFC East blog will take it a step further. Here are the top individual receivers in the division :

No. 1: Wes Welker, New England Patriots

Skinny: Welker does most of his damage in the slot, but he is as tough to cover as anyone. More quick than fast, Welker has a sudden burst and executes precise routes that make it hard for cornerbacks to keep up over the middle. Welker had a career year in 2011, where he caught 122 passes for 1,569 yards and nine touchdowns. He's not the prototype, but Welker gets the most out of what he has.

No. 2: :wavey: Santonio Holmes, New York Jets

Skinny: Holmes had a trying year in 2011. But I have a more complete view, because I covered Holmes during the early part of his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. When focused, Holmes is a big-play receiver who shows up in big games. It's rarely mentioned anymore that Holmes is a former Super Bowl MVP, probably because of his recent troubles. But Holmes is a very good receiver. In my opinion, his struggles and frustration stem from inconsistent quarterback play more than anything else.

No. 3: Steve Johnson, Buffalo Bills

Skinny: Like Holmes, Johnson is a good receiver but not elite. Johnson is coming off his second consecutive 1,000-yard season in 2011. He doesn't have the top-end speed to get deep but his game is solid otherwise. Johnson is fearless and competes against anyone. He gave Jets Pro Bowl corner Darrelle Revis one of his toughest games last year. Johnson can show immaturity at times with his touchdown celebrations, but he is not an issue in the locker room. He just needs to grow up a little and think team first in these instances.

No. 4: Brandon Lloyd, Patriots

Skinny: Lloyd is entering his first year with the Patriots after following his former head coach and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Lloyd is a dynamic receiver with big-play ability. He led the AFC in receiving yards in 2010. Don't expect Lloyd to put up huge numbers in New England, because he will be sharing the ball with Welker and tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. But there will be plenty of opportunities for big plays for Lloyd in New England's offense.

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42540/ranking-afc-east-wide-receivers[/url]