Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSJ Article: Tebow? Sanchez? How About Both?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget the A11. That won't work.

Clearly we're running the A12 which says when you open the year 1-4 because of lousy head coaching and OL play you bench your perfectly good QB and start the backup to salvage the season.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4471508]If it isn't Tebow, it's Sanchez. Tebow and Sanchez! Sanchez and Tebow! These two quarterbacks are[B] driving [/B]me crazy.[/QUOTE]

I'd say more like a short putt then a drive..;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4470766]A very interesting read:

[url]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303448404577408561366033878.html[/url]

Will be fun and exciting watching things unfold this year.[/QUOTE]

Yep this is how it will start out but unless they stay even through the whole year it will not end like this because one will outperform the other. It will be very hard for two people on the same team to stay equal. To many factors

on field performance
    lockerroom
    media
    fans
    ownership
    coaches
    list goes on and on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With tebow and sanchez, we havent seen this star power together since Tango and Cash.

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_C_8M2WVWfgM/TC1hshvMRqI/AAAAAAAAHYo/m5MNM4GHtCk/s1600/tango-and-cash-454x300.jpg[/IMG]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4471711]WRT 11 on 11, ummm, let's see. Sanchez split out wide, Tebow in the gun with a RB standing to his right. Tell me, if you are on the defense, are you going to put someone out there covering Sanchez ? I'm pretty sure you will, and if so, that still makes it 11 on 11. If you don't put someone out there, we'll just have Sanchez do an 8-10 yard route, catch the ball, then step out of bounds. After about the 3rd or 4th time, and after moving the ball 30 - 40 yards down field, maybe you might move someone out there :)

Or hey, maybe Tebow is the one who would motion out wide, then Sanchez could throw the ball to him.

Or maybe a direct snap to Sanchez, a handoff to Tebow who then passes to Hill streaking down the sideline ?

There's a ton of different things that can be done, and many of them would be "regular NFL plays" too. One more that just crossed my mind. Full house backfield. Sanchez in the gun, Tebow to his left, Green to his right. What's the defense going to prepare for ?[/QUOTE]

Strictly my opinion of football in today's NFL, but I don't want my QB1 split out wide ever... save a trick play or two a year. Terrible idea... opening him up to free shots off the snap? No thanks.

In the other scenarios you go on to basically prove the point I was trying to make.. Sanchez becomes window dressing. He facilitates getting the ball to Tebow who then acts as a QB. NFL defenses are smart. As soon as Sanchez gets the ball to Tebow, he is doing nothing they have to defend... i simply don't envision this mass chaos the WSJ, who in the same article suggests emulating an offense that can't be run in the NFL, is suggesting.

Also congratulations... we have now gone further back then the calls for the offenses of Curly Lambeau and Knute Rockne, beyond even Pop Warner himself to the Full House. The original offense in football. The notion that we are going to revolutionize offense in the NFL by going back to the formations of the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century makes my head hurt.

A lot of these formations work for random HS programs who are almost always using them because of a significant talent deficiency in one area or another on offense.. whether that be passing ability, size, speed etc. There is a reason why they are largely obsolete (save a few gimmick plays) in the NFL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rock48nj;4471922]Strictly my opinion of football in today's NFL, but I don't want my QB1 split out wide ever... save a trick play or two a year. Terrible idea... opening him up to free shots off the snap? No thanks.

In the other scenarios you go on to basically prove the point I was trying to make.. Sanchez becomes window dressing. He facilitates getting the ball to Tebow who then acts as a QB. NFL defenses are smart. As soon as Sanchez gets the ball to Tebow, he is doing nothing they have to defend... i simply don't envision this mass chaos the WSJ, who in the same article suggests emulating an offense that can't be run in the NFL, is suggesting.

Also congratulations... we have now gone further back then the calls for the offenses of Curly Lambeau and Knute Rockne, beyond even Pop Warner himself to the Full House. The original offense in football. The notion that we are going to revolutionize offense in the NFL by going back to the formations of the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century makes my head hurt.

A lot of these formations work for random HS programs who are almost always using them because of a significant talent deficiency in one area or another on offense.. whether that be passing ability, size, speed etc. There is a reason why they are largely obsolete (save a few gimmick plays) in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, to take a step forward, you have to take a step backwards. WRT Sanchez being split out, he's done it before, as have other QBs and as noted, he'd take a defender with him.

As to the full backfield, the question still remains, what would the defense do ? Tebow or Sanchez could get the ball. That's 2 QBs that you have to account for. Will it be a run or a pass ?

As the article demonstrated, teams would probably want to get a pass coverage package in the game. That means smaller DBs instead of LBs. Ball gets snapped to Sanchez, Tebow goes left as lead blocker, Greene follows him around to the left for nice yardage.