Thread: Jets' Dustin Keller says Tony Sparano will hold offense accountable

Jets' Dustin Keller says Tony Sparano will hold offense accountable

Jets' Dustin Keller says Tony Sparano will hold offense accountable

NEW YORK -- New Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano's in-your-face, no-nonsense style has drawn positive reviews so far, and tight end Dustin Keller said the biggest key is that Sparano will hold players accountable for their performance.

"He definitely runs a tighter ship than I've seen from anyone before, and heís not going to let anyone slip up," Keller said last night at the United Way's Gridiron Gala, where Jets right guard Brandon Moore and Giants right guard Chris Snee were honored for their community service. "I think thatís when problems do arise. Itís going to continue. You can tell itís not just a one day or an OTA thing, this thing is going to keep on going and going, and I think we need it."

Keller joked that he's surprised Sparano's voice is as strong as it is after nearly three decades of coaching. He didn't go so far as to say there was a lack of accountability last year under former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, but Keller has seen a difference.

"When Sparano is in there talking, all eyes are on him," Keller said. "Itís a change. Before, I would say it was a little more laid-back. But with him itís more stern, and he just has everybodyís attention, and I think guys are paying more attention to details now more than ever."

Keller added: "Most all the guys have been very accountable to themselves, to the things they're doing, but I think this year more than ever. Everything from the details of how far you need to line up and everything, guys already have that stuff down, and if you donít, heís kind of coming down on you. And thatís how itís going to be all season, you can already tell."

Keller also echoed what coach Rex Ryan recently hinted, that Sparano's system allows players to help each other more, instead of for instance leaving a tackle out on an island. Keller said there are more calls designated for specific situations, rather than catch-all calls, taking the gray area out. The additional calls also give the Jets more chances to use double teams, he said.

"There are a lot more options for us to help each other out in this," Keller said. "We have a lot more calls, so it's more stuff you have to memorize, but in the grand scheme of things, weíre all going to be able to help each other out a lot more. It's hard to give any exact examples, but it is, itís there."

Keller said the Jets are still focusing on the base offense but they have been mixing in some "22 personnel" sets, in which there are two tight ends and two backs. In those sets, he said Jeff Cumberland, who is coming off a season-ending Achilles tear, is the second tight end.

This could be a make-or-break offseason for Vlad Ducasse, the 2010 second-round pick who has yet to take on a significant role. Ducasse said he is exclusively working at right tackle, which is where he prefers to be.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said after the draft that incumbent right tackle Wayne Hunter is "competing for a position here," and Ducasse would be his competition.
    "Right now, I donít know, but weíll see how it goes," Ducasse said. "At the end of training camp, weíll see how it goes."

This is Ducasse's first full offseason with the team. He was a rookie in 2010 and the lockout took away the offseason program in 2011. He appreciates being able to work with the coaches each day, and said he's working with strength and conditioning coach Bill Hughan on things he never worked on before, which is "what I needed."

Ducasse said the "ultimate goal" is to be a starter, but he's not sure how it will play out. He does know this year is "very, very important" to his career.

"This is my third year, and this is the year that I'm finally getting my offseason program," Ducasse said. "So itís a big year for me."

Jets Insider VIP
    This is a great article but it is also a respost that has been on the board for at least a day but thanks......