Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vrentas Again (46 Defense)

Rookie
    Like the idea.. probably a good fitfor Landry, but are we relying on one of the rooks at FS? Eric Smith in that role doesn't work for me. Also a little concerned with M, W, and S backers in coverage given they way we will likely play it... especially with some of the comps TEs
    Last edited by Rock48nj; 05-17-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

#1 defense. Going to cause havoc this year, can't wait

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4471182]#1 defense. Going to cause havoc this year, [B]can't wait[/B][/QUOTE]
    :eek:

Banned
    [QUOTE=KRL;4470949]

And one iteration that has Dunbar particularly excited? The 46 defense, invented by Buddy Ryan on the successful 1980s Bears teams and carried on by Rex Ryan. Dunbar said the Jets used the formation “a bunch” last year and plan to use it even more — “as much as we can” — in 2012.

“We’re going to play a lot of that 46 defense,” Dunbar said with a grin. “You get in that 46 defense, you’re going to get a lot of one-on-one blocks, and when we put athletic guys on the field, bad things happen for the offense.”

The 46 defense is one variation of a 4-3 front, with four down linemen and eight men in the box. ”[/QUOTE]

How is the 4-6 going to work out when teams go with 4 or 5 wides and spread the field and throw?

This is 2012, not the 80's.

Good passing offenses will eat that defense alive.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471202]How is the 4-6 going to work out when teams go with 4 or 5 wides and spread the field and throw?

This is 2012, not the 80's.

Good passing offenses will eat that defense alive.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're not understanding the concept of a [I]part-time [/I]46 defense

Or maybe you're not understanding that most teams in the league won't or can't go with 4 or 5 wides and have a QB capable of executing those quick throws.

Or maybe you're just being a troll dickface as usual.

Give it a rest. We finally have a refreshing new thread here that actually has something to do with the X's and O's of football. We don't need you derailing it like you do everything else.

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4471207]Maybe you're not understanding the concept of a [I]part-time [/I]46 defense

Or maybe you're not understanding that most teams in the league won't or can't go with 4 or 5 wides and have a QB capable of executing those quick throws.

Or maybe you're just being a troll dickface as usual.

Give it a rest. We finally have a refreshing new thread here that actually has something to do with the X's and O's of football. We don't need you derailing it like you do everything else.[/QUOTE]

How did I derail the thread?

All I said is good passing offenses will absolutely destroy a 4-6 defense, which they will.

Like Bill Walsh and the 49ers did to the tune of 41-0 the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl in the '80's.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471213]How did I derail the thread?

All I said is good passing offenses will absolutely destroy a 4-6 defense, which they will.

Like Bill Walsh and the 49ers did to the tune of 41-0 the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl in the '80's.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that the 46 is just one of the tools in Rex's toolbox, don't ya?

Banned
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;4471219]You do realize that the 46 is just one of the tools in Rex's toolbox, don't ya?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, but it still doesn't change the fact that it will be an ineffective defense in today's pass-happy NFL.

[QUOTE=barkus;4470977]that's why they drafted davis, and antonio allen may be 3rd safety/hybrid LB on pass plays too. Coples was added a pash rusher off the d-line.[/QUOTE]

From your lips to Gods ears. I really hope these picks work out. If not, it's going to be a long season.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471213]How did I derail the thread?

Like Bill Walsh and the 49ers did to the tune of 41-0 the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl in the '80's.[/QUOTE]

Right, I'm sure you had intentions of a rational football conversation. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Jordy;4471154]Why did we draft Coples? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Hopefully to fix this. I hope our picks really work out.

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4471223]Right, I'm sure you had intentions of a rational football conversation. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Go back and read what I posted.

It was a comment about the 4-6 defense, which I'm pretty sure is what this thread is about.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;4471219]You do realize that the 46 is just one of the tools in Rex's toolbox, don't ya?[/QUOTE]

Not only is it one of several tools, but it was a tool he used effectively last season.

Given that, and the new personnel in place, Rex and the staff believe it can be just as effective in 2012, if not moreso, in the right situations. I'm excited about it (as I think we all should be), as much as I am nervous over the potential chaos on the other side of the ball for the Jets.

And call me crazy, but when it comes to defense, I happen to trust a proven NFL defensive coaching staff over the musings of a troll who intends on fellating himself to the tune of his own thread derailments daily.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471221]Absolutely, but it still doesn't change the fact that it will be an ineffective defense in today's pass-happy NFL.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, that the traditional 46 defense you are referencing would have problems facing a 3 or 4 wide set with an athletic TE.

That being said, 46 is a formation, it is not a personnel group.

What if we are playing 4 DL, 2 LB and 5 DBs, and 8 of those players are "in the box". Completely different scenario now for facing a "spread" offense.

What I believe we are going to do, and the signing of Landry, and drafting of a safety like Allen is to play fewer LBs and more DBs, but use them in a 46 formation. I dont see a problem facing a spread offense with:

DL: Coples, Pouha, Wilkerson, Pace
    LB: Demario and Harris
    DB: Revis, Cro, Wilson, Landry and Bush (or hopefully leonhard)

The goal would be to generate a pass rush with the 4 down linemen, play under zone with the 2 LBs and "box" safety, and man coverage with deep safety help on the outside if a team spreads the field.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4471235]You are correct, that the traditional 46 defense you are referencing would have problems facing a 3 or 4 wide set with an athletic TE.

What if we are playing 4 DL, 2 LB and 5 DBs, and 8 of those players are "in the box". Completely different scenario now for facing a "spread" offense.

What I believe we are going to do, and the signing of Landry, and drafting of a safety like Allen is to play fewer LBs and more DBs, but use them in a 46 formation. I dont see a problem facing a spread offense with:

The goal would be to generate a pass rush with the 4 down linemen, play under zone with the 2 LBs and "box" safety, and man coverage with deep safety help on the outside if a team spreads the field.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, nice post

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4471229]Go back and read what I posted.

It was a comment about the 4-6 defense, which I'm pretty sure is what this thread is about.[/QUOTE]

I read it, and your ridiculous follow up about a single 49ers game. And it fits the profile of thousands and thousands of your previous posts. No one is interested in it. My mistake for even reading either one in the first place. I won't be making that mistake again soon.

And for future reference, it is a 46 Defense, not a 4-6 Defense. It got its name from Bears safety Doug Plank, who wore #46.

Banned
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4471235]

[/QUOTE]

Great comment.

If the front 4 can generate a decent pass rush in that scenario, 2 LB's and 5 DB's should be able to cover a spread offensive formation.

Banned
    GMC gets banned, but this f*cktard TX doesn't.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4471235]You are correct, that the traditional 46 defense you are referencing would have problems facing a 3 or 4 wide set with an athletic TE.

The goal would be to generate a pass rush with the 4 down linemen, play under zone with the 2 LBs and "box" safety, and man coverage with deep safety help on the outside if a team spreads the field.[/QUOTE]

+1, with a grouping like that instead of all-out blitz you could drop into coverage and flood the passing lanes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Now the last several posts were GREAT!!!!!

Thank you real football talk whereby I learned something!!!!